Author Topic: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS  (Read 62029 times)

Online Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Re: 2017 Jan. 30 - Rome, Italy -- SPOILERS
« Reply #245 on: January 31, 2017, 06:02:11 AM »
I honestly couldn't remember whether AIA was in there or not.

Ok, now I can confirm posts above saying you, sir, are a liar.. I knew they were going to play that one since you posted that "read between the lines" comment in the other thread..

In line with what I said above, I can't see how not playing a song from a 34-track album like TA would be doing an "omission" at all.. But what do I know?.. :lol

I thought the general consesus was that A New Beginning was one of the best on the whole album. And with plenty of room to change things up in the solo?

For me, TA is allll good. They couldve pulled any 3 songs and i wouldve been happy. But yeah, just strange they chose ALLB over ANB

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #246 on: January 31, 2017, 07:22:28 AM »
Loved the set, good stuff all around!

Watching through some of the videos posted so far in the thread, it's super refreshing to see some jamming and improvising back in a DT show! That jam at the end of TTT was cool, and it looks like they slotted in extensions of songs in other spots too, JM extended intro for AIA, extended intro for TSCO, drum break in Met, etc....

Please lord, bring this tour to the states, I'd travel for hours to see this show.

Online Jinx

« Reply #247 on: January 31, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »
Pull Me Under: https://youtu.be/IQOgIvQHSA4

Great atmosphere last night. Hope all the shows are like this so that the band can feed off of the energy!  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: January 31, 2017, 07:36:31 AM »
Pull Me Under: https://youtu.be/IQOgIvQHSA4

Great atmosphere last night. Hope all the shows are like this so that the band can feed off of the energy!  :metal

I got to imagine the band feels good to have the fans excited again.  This is awesome.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #249 on: January 31, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
I thought the general consesus was that A New Beginning was one of the best on the whole album. And with plenty of room to change things up in the solo?

For me, TA is allll good. They couldve pulled any 3 songs and i wouldve been happy. But yeah, just strange they chose ALLB over ANB

If you look at the songs in the first set, none of them are really vocally challenging for JLB, except for the outro of TBP and some portions of TVOM. ANB has some soaring vocals when the Faythe parts come in. I think they really are reserving James for thr second set.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #250 on: January 31, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »
Pretty cool set. Really glad Hell's Kitchen made an appearance. And while I am not a huge fan of TA, it is good they continue to represent it well, particularly in this sort of anniversary setlist of a 25-year-old record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #251 on: January 31, 2017, 08:20:49 AM »
So they brought back the "Unbroken spirits" section of TTT. While it was a nice surprise, James is struggling with it painfully. The jam at the end is really cool, MM is so much fun to watch.

He does not groove! He has no dynamics!

Looks like MM is in fun Extreme-days territory in that jam. :LOL

The amusing thing in the YT vids is that the Mangini haters are abound again, actively disliking the vids and filling the comments with Mangini sounds like a drum machine.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 08:34:42 AM by erwinrafael »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #252 on: January 31, 2017, 08:30:01 AM »
So they brought back the "Unbroken spirits" section of TTT. While it was a nice surprise, James is struggling with it painfully. The jam at the end is really cool, MM is so much fun to watch.

He does not groove! He has no dynamics!

Looks like MM is in fun Extreme-days territory in that jam. :LOL

The amusing thing in the YT vids is that the Mangini haters are abound again, actively disliking the vids and filling the commengs with Manginia sounds like a drum machine.
DT fans can be pretty terrible.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #253 on: January 31, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
In line with what I said above, I can't see how not playing a song from a 34-track album like TA would be doing an "omission" at all.. But what do I know?.. :lol

Agreed, it's a bit strange.. But no way ANB is that kind of song that they're always suposed to play (actually, as I said before, there's no such song in DT's catalogue).. Also there's the JLB thing erwinrafael said.. But even past that, I don't think any song (not even TGoM or ONW) has reached that point yet... well, it probably never will, since, again, DT doesn't do that kind of stuff.. Being a live staple is a different thing that being a fan favorite; which, yes, it is..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #254 on: January 31, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »
Solid setlist.  Of course, some repeats from the last tour (especially those of us who got the 3 encore songs), but the entirety of I&W, Hell's Kitchen, The Bigger Picture, The Dark Eternal Night, and an encore of A Change of Seasons?  Yes please.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
I will open by saying that I&W plus ACOS is enough on it's own for this to be a must see show for me as they are pretty much the two greatest things ever released imo.

Bosk did mention in the other thread though that this was not to be missed regardless of whether you were a fan of I&W. I'm not feeling this, set one is a fairly average collection of songs for me. Will be interested to hear TBP as it's never been played. Big fan of BAI but been played on both previous tours and TSCO is also a great song but played to death. As I Am was always an average song for me and has already been played more than it deserves as has TDEN. I will obviously watch set one and will no doubt enjoy it but there is nothing remotely special about it.

Luckily I don't care as I get to see I&W and ACOS in set two.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »
Man, I get that James is getting older and all that, but the songs sound so wildly different in half-step lower. It even feels like it has a negative effect on James's singing during the lower parts. Can't win em all though I guess.

I do love that he now does the subtle vocal shenanigans he used to skip over the last decade or so in I&W songs (i.e. "Dust fills my e-e-e-eyes").

The Bigger Picture is amazing live on all fronts!

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:52 AM »
But, c'mon ppl, live is different.. Or at least I've always experienced the songs in a very different way than listening the studio version..

I'd like even seeing songs that I don't care too much, like several from WDADU, Through Her Eyes or freaking DLPM itself; I actually did enjoy a lot songs that are for me in the same level that these, like Space Dye Vest, A Fortune in Lies, Enigma Machine or, recently, Brother Can You Hear Me?/A Thousand Voices/Astonishing.. Especially these last three, I liked them live in a way I never did and probably never will with their respective studio versions..

Besides, they're now doing a lot of extra jamming and intros/outros and that kind of things, which surely adds more fun to the whole show.. Man I want to see/listen the JMX'S jazzy solo..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:57:59 AM by ToT-147 »

Offline dodido253

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2017, 10:03:45 AM »
Man, I get that James is getting older and all that, but the songs sound so wildly different in half-step lower. It even feels like it has a negative effect on James's singing during the lower parts. Can't win em all though I guess.

THIS.
The outcome for the half step down songs is not so good IMO.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
If setlist.fm is right, the intro is the song "The Colonel" from the band Two Steps from Hell. Goosebumps!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9we6Kxl6gak
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:21 AM »
If they decide to film this tour I'm sure I&W is presented in its original tone but for this long tour it's a wise move to down the tones for James sake. I wouldn't complain that much and I'm pretty sure James is getting better while the tour is going. It's been always like that.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2017, 10:59:39 AM »
If setlist.fm is right, the intro is the song "The Colonel" from the band Two Steps from Hell. Goosebumps!!!!

Damn, that was cool!

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »

Nice info.. I hope someone can confirm this..

Also, I noted that the setlist was modified a little bit, setting as 8th place "John Myung Solo".. It really last that long?.. I mean, no way it was longer than JP's solo before TSCO.. Or was it?.. :o

Offline gulranek

« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2017, 11:07:54 AM »
How are the people in the seats behaving, everyone just come up to the stage or is everyone just standing at their own seat? I mean, it'd be pretty stupid to pay for a first-row sitting ticket, only to have 30 other people come up to the stage in front of you.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »
Could anyone pick up whether or not they´re using a click track on this tour?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:48 AM »

I do love that he now does the subtle vocal shenanigans he used to skip over the last decade or so in I&W songs (i.e. "Dust fills my e-e-e-eyes").

I'd bet you that 95% percent of the people in that room had absolutely no clue that those songs were a half-step lower. Unless someone has perfect pitch or really strong relative pitch, they aren't going to realize the difference sitting in the room, live, watching that all happen. Sitting at a computer dissecting a YouTube video is a little different. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #266 on: January 31, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
Could anyone pick up whether or not they´re using a click track on this tour?

It looked like there were some backing vocals on a loop for The Bigger Picture, so for that song they definitely were.

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2017, 11:24:13 AM »
I'd bet you that 95% percent of the people in that room had absolutely no clue that those songs were a half-step lower. Unless someone has perfect pitch or really strong relative pitch, they aren't going to realize the difference sitting in the room, live, watching that all happen. Sitting at a computer dissecting a YouTube video is a little different.

All of this..

Also, here's ONW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6N3_d3U-Bs

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »

I wasn't jabbing at them or anything and I didn't sit there listening to the bootleg 1000 times before I wrote that post, I listened to it once and noticed it - it's just something you get used to hearing. Of course I wouldn't mind it in a live setting, or at all, just something that caught me personally a little off guard.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #269 on: January 31, 2017, 12:15:51 PM »

I wasn't jabbing at them or anything and I didn't sit there listening to the bootleg 1000 times before I wrote that post, I listened to it once and noticed it - it's just something you get used to hearing. Of course I wouldn't mind it in a live setting, or at all, just something that caught me personally a little off guard.

Oh I didn't think you were jabbing them (and it wouldn't have bothered me if you were) you said the songs sounded "wildly different" which, to me, would suggest it was something noticeable in the room for the paid customers. So I was just stating I didn't think that would be the case for those fine patrons. That's all.  :tup

Online Jinx

« Reply #270 on: January 31, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »

Confirmed - Intro and TDEN:
https://youtu.be/hEVRQ9VxrH8

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #271 on: January 31, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »
Damn mangini really simplified Hell's Kitchen on the cymbal parts... This is my only issue with his playing, he doesn't get the nuances of MP's cymbal work..

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #272 on: January 31, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »
It's an interesting point about the orchestral or whatever intro. They could literally go to JR like 10 minutes before show time, and ask him to write something and record it and he'd be fine. They could have a different intro every tour.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #273 on: January 31, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »
Damn mangini really simplified Hell's Kitchen on the cymbal parts... This is my only issue with his playing, he doesn't get the nuances of MP's cymbal work..

Woah, you're right. Really didn't like his interpretation of that one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #274 on: January 31, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »
Actually, now that they've played TBP, there are only THREE songs they haven't played: "The Best of Times" (and we know why they haven't or never will play this one), "False Awakening Suite" (and they did use it as the intro tape for the AftR tour anyways) and "Surrender to Reason" (which I think it's a matter of time for them to play it)... And that's it.. I don't think there's any other band in the world that can say they've played the amount of different songs and thus diversity of music DT has played over the years.. But yeah, for some E is NE..

FAS will (probably) never be played live because it was written only to be used as the intro tape for the tour. As for the others they haven't played, you also missed Don't Look Past Me and Raw Dog. That makes 4 songs (not counting FAS) :biggrin:

ANB was the obvious choice for 99% of us on DTF  :lol The only explanation I can find is that they sort of did the extended guitar solo ending to a song + jam on TTT, so it would be a little weird to have both songs on the set. But, anyway, ANB would've been much better than TSCO and/or AIA imo.

Edit: Does anybody know if they played/are playing the same exact set today? The obvious answer would be yes, but I'm still curious to see if they changed at least one or two songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #275 on: January 31, 2017, 04:06:14 PM »

Confirmed - Intro and TDEN:
https://youtu.be/hEVRQ9VxrH8

Great!..

What I don't like of MM in this song is how he totally spoil what it is to me probably the best brief section of the song.. Right at 7:00 in the vid, why does he change precisely that drum part?.. It sounds awful.. :-[

And oops, video ends when the best long section of the song is starting.. :millahhhh

Actually, now that they've played TBP, there are only THREE songs they haven't played: "The Best of Times" (and we know why they haven't or never will play this one), "False Awakening Suite" (and they did use it as the intro tape for the AftR tour anyways) and "Surrender to Reason" (which I think it's a matter of time for them to play it)... And that's it.. I don't think there's any other band in the world that can say they've played the amount of different songs and thus diversity of music DT has played over the years.. But yeah, for some E is NE..
FAS will (probably) never be played live because it was written only to be used as the intro tape for the tour. As for the others they haven't played, you also missed Don't Look Past Me and Raw Dog. That makes 4 songs (not counting FAS) :biggrin:

Oh, I didn't miss them, just not counting them because they're not studio songs.. :tup

But I think you're right; if we count them all, then they are... well, actually they'd be 5 to me and not 4, since FAS is a song after all (or an instrumental to be more accurate)..

Offline Octavarious

• Scenes from a Mesmerism
« Reply #276 on: January 31, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »
So  here I am...
I was your man at the show yesterday, you already know everything, I can only add that I enjoyed it and my wife (totally new to DT) too, even if at the end she was a bit exhausted for what she called a bit of "heaviness" not being used to DT and 3 hrs set.
Show is great, I was a bit let down by the acoustic of the location as I was in the central gallery and I understood that instead down on floor level was much better...
I liked the instrumental part in Metropolis with sudden stops while playing for one second them start over again which I didn't expect.
Great great public but love for DT is huge here even if we have our share of MPfanboy - haters as well... But they don't come to the show to break our balls, they only moan and growl on social media.
Curious to know if there'any partial rotation but don't think so, not only the show is mostly "on click" also for the lighting (there was one piece - cannot remember where in the 1st set) where James took down the mike from his mouth but you could still hear very well (for one second) his Voice...
Anyway, like ELP used to say in the old times....
"Come and see the shooooooooooooooww!"   :metal :metal :metal :metal
From Rome, with love.

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #277 on: January 31, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
As for the click, they are using samples for the backing vocals of Take the Time.
Ladies and gentlemen I'd like you to thank Octavarious who took the time (pun not intended) to give me frequent updates and even pics and videos. Thanks a lot, mate, I appreciate it.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline TH1RT3EN

• Dream Theater BR
  • There's only room for one Boss.
« Reply #278 on: January 31, 2017, 04:32:18 PM »
So, Learning to Live sounds like it's either in D, or D#. It's not in standard

Judging by the little clips I've seen on Instagram, they played WFS in the original key. The little I heard from Metropolis and UAGM did sound different/lower though.

I'm really glad they detuned some songs, actually. It shows they care for James's voice and aren't askim him to deliver the same register as he did 25 years ago. He's one of the best vocalists in the genere, but definitely not infalible. Also, unless you have perfect pitch or a tuner with you, you won't really notice the key change in the songs.

What I do wonder is whether Jordan transposed his keyboard or if he's actually playing the songs in the lower key. He's very capable of learning them in the new key, and I think he did that, because, for what I know, people with perfect pitch (which Jordan has) really struggle with changing the tuning of their instruments, since they already know how each note sounds with each fret/position/key.

I've been wondering the exact same thing about Jordan. Does anyone have an answer to that?

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #279 on: January 31, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »
This dude seems to have several mini clips of the show: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmyBPi6kTp6m8G99vGLjcwg/videos

(1) Intro tape and TDEN's intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sooc5XbPvck

(2) TBP's intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjRIJ3tgfLk

(3) TSCO's first chorus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbca7gXS0us

(4) AIA's ending (w/a bit of Ener Sandman too) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izAacz-qGUU

(5) Mix of 1992's radio hits and PMU's intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlsSHROkIvE

(6) Metropolis' intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELc97T_7qo

(6) -yup, same name- JLB speaking before JR does a piano intro to WFS, and a bit of the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBD4um7mGo

(7) TGoM's first verses https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSVJz6sIWz4