Author Topic: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, SEVEN YEARS On.  (Read 174678 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: - " The Astonishing " - One Year -- er, FIVE YEARS On.
« Reply #1085 on: November 24, 2020, 08:24:39 PM »
Michael Kiske is my favorite vocalist! EASILY!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1086 on: November 24, 2020, 09:00:14 PM »

I felt bad for those Wacken fans that only went to see Helloween.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1087 on: November 27, 2020, 06:14:20 PM »

What do you mean?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1088 on: November 27, 2020, 07:29:03 PM »

What do you mean?

Because Michael Kiske was sick, and just sounded horrible. Nevertheless he gave it his all still.  :tup
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1089 on: November 29, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »
I totally understand why they didn't film and release a show from the Astonishing tour, but watching Distant Memories last night, I definitely felt a bit sad that they never documented one of those shows.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1090 on: November 30, 2020, 03:30:58 PM »
I totally understand why they didn't film and release a show from the Astonishing tour, but watching Distant Memories last night, I definitely felt a bit sad that they never documented one of those shows.
I wish they had recorded the show we caught in Durham!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1091 on: December 03, 2020, 09:32:35 PM »
MM just posted a fun video from the TA sessions of him just messing around with some polyrhythms that never made it to the album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XT2vy_IaXY
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1092 on: December 04, 2020, 03:23:18 AM »
 :lol Why does MM playing like that always sound like someone who's never played drums before ?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1093 on: December 04, 2020, 05:48:59 AM »
Yea :lol the start of the video I thought "hey this is what I sound like playing drums"

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1094 on: December 04, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
:lol Why does MM playing like that always sound like someone who's never played drums before ?

I don't think he was really playing the drums, he lightly plays to get a sense of the Poly rhythm.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1095 on: December 04, 2020, 09:30:40 AM »

:rollin

Yea :lol the start of the video I thought "hey this is what I sound like playing drums"

:rollin

His third snippet/poly rhythm thing was pretty cool and natural sounding though.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1096 on: December 04, 2020, 10:51:52 AM »
I know this is a light hearted comment (and a funny one, of course), but it's kinda unfair in a larger musical scope. It's like implying that someone playing XX century atonal piano music sounds like someone who's never played the piano before (and I would understand such a comment lol), but that's certainly not the case. MM is very much like a curious kid in a science lab, trying of things just for the sake of learning stuff and seeing what happens and that's something I really like of him.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1097 on: December 04, 2020, 02:09:23 PM »
I was responding to a post and then it got too long and off-topic, So I cut it and decided to post it here, as it serves more of a better discussion here.

The Astonishing story really calls for that style of music it's written in. I feel people wanted that Epic, War type, song of the war within The Astonishing story. But, it's not the focal point of the album, hence why it's placed in the background, only shown through the training sounds of swords clashing, and usually when Ahrys is speaking, his theme is mainly the army, militia theme of rebellion. He's the one who wants the war, Gabriel just wants to play guitar, basically. And Faythe having just discovered the Music Player, on their family survey of Ravenskill, got infatuated with Gabriel with his long hair flowing in the wind...(That's what I picture when I hear "Could my destiny, Be right in front of me?") :lol :lol

If you want to see how bad the war between Ravenskill and The Great Northen Empire was, the book begins right off the bat, with a prelude that is a war scene. It's where we are introduced to Evangeline and the birth of Xander. It's really sad, and messed up, how the NOMACS played a part in her death. Talk about an intense introduction.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1098 on: December 12, 2020, 10:11:08 AM »
How do we know the band didn't record any shows from The Astonishing tour?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1099 on: December 12, 2020, 10:38:24 AM »
We do know it was never filmed professionally, otherwise they would have announced it ahead of time.  There might be a few audience filmed gigs floating around but extremely hard to find. The band and the venues were really adamant about the NO CAMERA rule on that tour. There are probably a few soundboard recordings and perhaps crew-shot videos, but will never see the light of day to be released or unofficially released.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1100 on: December 12, 2020, 11:26:39 AM »
The fact that there is no video for this is nothing short of (wait for it)

Astonishing!

Sorry - I couldn't help myself...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1101 on: December 12, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
We do know it was never filmed professionally, otherwise they would have announced it ahead of time.  There might be a few audience filmed gigs floating around but extremely hard to find. The band and the venues were really adamant about the NO CAMERA rule on that tour. There are probably a few soundboard recordings and perhaps crew-shot videos, but will never see the light of day to be released or unofficially released.

Yeah, there's no professionally recorded video, but afaik they record audio for every single show they do. They could easily release one of those shows as an official bootleg if they wanted to.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1102 on: December 12, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »

Yeah, there's no professionally recorded video, but afaik they record audio for every single show they do. They could easily release one of those shows as an official bootleg if they wanted to.

Totally would be up for an official bootleg. Might even make the most sense to release it that way.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1103 on: December 14, 2020, 06:09:39 AM »

Totally would be up for an official bootleg. Might even make the most sense to release it that way.

Even if they had a single camera angle on a mounted tripod in the sound booth, I'd happily take that with whatever came out of the sound board. If for nothing more than to have a semi-decent version of the extended (original) outro of A New Beginning.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1104 on: December 14, 2020, 08:05:07 AM »

Even if they had a single camera angle on a mounted tripod in the sound booth, I'd happily take that with whatever came out of the sound board. If for nothing more than to have a semi-decent version of the extended (original) outro of A New Beginning.

I actually wouldn't mind getting the intro narration as a digital download.

But I will say. Unless you have a good system. Those NOMAC tracks won't do justice at all. Man those were the best because after reading the prologue to the book. That's exactly, if not louder, how the NOMACS sounded.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1105 on: December 14, 2020, 09:35:03 AM »
If I recall, before Led Zeppelin released How the West Was Won they reached out to the general public to request old video footage which they then restored.

DT could go through a similar process and augment live video footage with video animation. It might be cost prohibitive though but I bet that the DT fandom would overwhelmingly love this even if some aren't a fan of TA. Who knows, it might bring critics of TA back from the dark side.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #1106 on: December 14, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »
If I recall, before Led Zeppelin released How the West Was Won they reached out to the general public to request old video footage which they then restored.

DT could go through a similar process and augment live video footage with video animation. It might be cost prohibitive though but I bet that the DT fandom would overwhelmingly love this even if some aren't a fan of TA. Who knows, it might bring critics of TA back from the dark side.
I would love that!  There are some audience videos on youtube of TA. They could sync that up with better quality soundboard recordings. It might be possible since the live show is played to a click.  It would be cool if they had some hardcore fan who is really into it to put it together.  However, very unlikely.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1107 on: December 14, 2020, 07:45:16 PM »

I would love that!  There are some audience videos on youtube of TA. They could sync that up with better quality soundboard recordings. It might be possible since the live show is played to a click.  It would be cool if they had some hardcore fan who is really into it to put it together.  However, very unlikely.

They could have done that with ease had it not been for the cellphone restrictions. There's a shockingly small amount of old footage from the tour on YouTube.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1108 on: December 15, 2020, 12:14:27 AM »
You know what I really wish we had...

Instrumental Versions of Act of Faythe, Chosen, and Losing Faythe.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1109 on: December 15, 2020, 05:24:38 PM »
Now that the band has used Bandcamp for their holiday release, they should use that more. This is a great format for things that we would consider for Official Bootlegs. Except now there is no overhead. Put a small price and let fans pay more if they want.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1110 on: December 15, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »
Now that the band has used Bandcamp for their holiday release, they should use that more. This is a great format for things that we would consider for Official Bootlegs. Except now there is no overhead. Put a small price and let fans pay more if they want.

I like your thinking.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1111 on: December 15, 2020, 08:43:06 PM »

I'd definitely buy those, specially since Bandcamp offers high quality downloads.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1112 on: December 19, 2020, 06:39:24 PM »

That would be great too.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1113 on: January 03, 2021, 11:47:12 AM »
Brought this over here, because I want to say more about The Astonishing and don't want to further derail that thread.

Also, it was an incredible live/theater experience. I've seen DT live probably around 9 or 10 times and the Astonishing concert has been one of my favorites. I enjoyed it so much that I bought tickets for an extra night in Mexico City after a wonderful first night (I had only the plan of going to one of the two dates). It was really different, in a good way.

Same here. I saw both US legs. Which sucked for me, because the songs that got cut, are ones I really enjoy and they were amazing live. Especially, The X Aspect.

This song, is describing Arhys' tough decision he has been dealt. The decision of whether to betray his brother in order for his son to live a better life, a promise he made to Evangeline. The music describes this exact feeling of despair and the feeling of having to make this tough decision, as the choice made really isn't that great either way, hence why it is a tough decision.

The opening piano of The X Aspect, really describes that setting of being in the house, on a nice, cool night, with the moonlight peeking through the window on a table, where Arhys is sitting, while looking at Xander and pondering. I hear the boys choir here, and it's what made me imagine that Arhys is looking at xander with that look every parent gives their child. When the lyrics come in, it's Arhys discussing with himself this desperate decision he now has to make. As the music here intensifies and is culminated into "Evangeline, I swore to you, to love and guide our son" it's his plea and realization, and has come to the conclusion that "a better life is worth this sacrifice". The bagpipes at the end, along with the boys choir, is him looking at Xander again with, sad eyes.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1114 on: January 03, 2021, 11:53:36 AM »
The X Aspect is one of the most incredible pieces of music in Dream Theater's catalog, IMO.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1115 on: January 03, 2021, 12:09:23 PM »
The X Aspect is one of the most incredible pieces of music in Dream Theater's catalog, IMO.

Yup...It is...I actually like that about the entirety of The Astonishing.

Also from 3:00 on in A Better Life, the piano underneath, is reminiscent of the piano in The X Aspect intro. And from this point on, is where Arhys made promise to Evangeline, and why I think, this part is similar to The X Aspect. There are similarities in the Boys Choir, The build-up to "Evangeline..." and the piano underneath. These may possibly be the themes of Xander and Evangeline, as they relate to Arhys.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1116 on: January 03, 2021, 12:17:56 PM »
Question - is there any fan based animation to TA or would that be a massive copyright infringement?

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1117 on: January 03, 2021, 12:35:53 PM »
While watching Lord Nefaryus Live. The background video really best describes what happens within that song really well. The part I like is, when They begin their journey from their palace in the Empire "Into the far off reaches of the land, to witness this great spectacle first hand." And then they introduce his family, as he describes whom is with him to meet "The Saviour".  And also, when they show the Vast Land, with the overview shot of the trees, that pans to the magnificent mountainous valley. I love that they did that...Really helps you vision the story. Which is what I do when I listen to pretty much all concept albums, that have a narrative.

Usually, when I just let the music be what it is, and take it as it is presented. I can hear and feel more of the emotions in the music. And the reasons why that part was made that way, and why it relates to what is happening within the story being told. Also, the way it's narrated can also become present. I will then snap, they meant for it to presented this way. Sometimes, it's like a radio show, sometimes, like a movie film. Other times, like an old-school horror story. Imagine if they were to make concept albums with VR attached.... :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Question - is there any fan based animation to TA or would that be a massive copyright infringement?

Not that I have found. And I really doubt someone would take that amount of time to do one. But I don't see why there aren't any songs, that have animated clips along with the songs. I think that would be neat. If I knew how to do it, I likely would've made one, but I wouldn't guarantee I would have made one either.

You know...I do kind of wish the band released just the live background videos and put those up on Youtube with the studio songs.

That could be how they got the idea to do that with DoT. Saves time to create and plan what is going to be played on the screen during that song live.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1118 on: January 03, 2021, 12:55:20 PM »
While watching Lord Nefaryus Live. The background video really best describes what happens within that song really well. The part I like is, when They begin their journey from their palace in the Empire "Into the far off reaches of the land, to witness this great spectacle first hand." And then they introduce his family, as he describes whom is with him to meet "The Saviour".  And also, when they show the Vast Land, with the overview shot of the trees, that pans to the magnificent mountainous valley. I love that they did that...Really helps you vision the story. Which is what I do when I listen to pretty much all concept albums, that have a narrative.

Usually, when I just let the music be what it is, and take it as it is presented. I can hear and feel more of the emotions in the music. And the reasons why that part was made that way, and why it relates to what is happening within the story being told. Also, the way it's narrated can also become present. I will then snap, they meant for it to presented this way. Sometimes, it's like a radio show, sometimes, like a movie film. Other times, like an old-school horror story. Imagine if they were to make concept albums with VR attached.... :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Not that I have found. And I really doubt someone would take that amount of time to do one. But I don't see why there aren't any songs, that have animated clips along with the songs. I think that would be neat. If I knew how to do it, I likely would've made one, but I wouldn't guarantee I would have made one either.

You know...I do kind of wish the band released just the live background videos and put those up on Youtube with the studio songs.

That could be how they got the idea to do that with DoT. Saves time to create and plan what is going to be played on the screen during that song live.

Yeah - and that was where I was eventually going to go with my question. I cannot imagine it would be that difficult to piece together animation even with the studio version of the songs. I know I would buy it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1119 on: January 04, 2021, 03:13:58 AM »
I respect the band immensely for the sheer effort that went into it. However, after trying too many times to count, I have to accept that it is my least favorite DT album. While many people love James performance, I just can't get into it. Also, far too many uber slow sections, which isn't a bad thing if they hold my interest but on this album, they don't grab me or keep me interested.

I don't like using the word "filler" because it kind of denotes laziness, but to me that's what all those "uber slow sections" sound like.