Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 214228 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #2030 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »

bill1971 retweeted

That's all well and good.  But people here are not unfairly "bashing" him.  If something he posts or says makes him come across as a prick, that's on him, and it is fair game for discussion.  If something he posts or says is positive, that is likewise fair game for discussion about how great it is.  Nobody here is unfairly piling on for the sake of piling on--they are commenting on what he himself has said and done.  If his posts and public comments themselves weren't so frequently negative, you wouldn't see the negative reactions to them here.

And it's great that some know "the full story."  But, honestly, if you aren't willing to back up what you say with specifics, you don't really have a right to tell other people they don't know what they're talking about.  If you can't share what you know, or just don't think it is appropriate, or just don't want to, that's fine.  But, again, if you can't or won't provide facts, don't tell other people what to think.

:lol  :clap:

In regard to responding here -- I've been a member here forever. MP isn't bashed. MP is being criticized for being very loose with his words. And most of that criticism is meant (in my opinion) as constructive, with people wanting MP to do well, and carry himself better - -because we care about him being successful and appreciate the music he's helped create.

Nailed it.

If MP has an issue with DTF, perhaps he needs to read the above paragraph I've just written.

He has been told that very thing several times in the past, including hearing it from me face to face and via email.  For whatever reason, it never seems to register.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2031 on: July 27, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
In regard to responding here -- I've been a member here forever. MP isn't bashed. MP is being criticized for being very loose with his words. And most of that criticism is meant (in my opinion) as constructive, with people wanting MP to do well, and carry himself better - -because we care about him being successful and appreciate the music he's helped create.

Nailed it.

As someone who has posted negative criticism, this is exactly how I feel.  Also, how I feel pretty much all of DTF acts.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2032 on: July 27, 2017, 09:51:08 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Couldn't disagree with that any more than I do.  Maybe not by EVERYONE, but there are a certain number of people here that if he gave them a medium coffee from Dunkin Donuts, milk no sugar, their first response would be "why medium, you cheap fuck?  And I like Starbucks, with sugar next time".

Look in the other thread; Derek retweets something that is subject to some opinion as to whether it was "negative" or not (I think not, but it's up for discussion) and not three posts down someone says "Well, it's to be expected; he's been hanging out with MP and so it's logical that he would pick up Mike's bad habits."    What kind of nonsense is that?   

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2033 on: July 27, 2017, 10:00:26 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Couldn't disagree with that any more than I do.  Maybe not by EVERYONE, but there are a certain number of people here that if he gave them a medium coffee from Dunkin Donuts, milk no sugar, their first response would be "why medium, you cheap fuck?  And I like Starbucks, with sugar next time".

Look in the other thread; Derek retweets something that is subject to some opinion as to whether it was "negative" or not (I think not, but it's up for discussion) and not three posts down someone says "Well, it's to be expected; he's been hanging out with MP and so it's logical that he would pick up Mike's bad habits."    What kind of nonsense is that?

Maybe some people would react like that, but the way I see this forum is that if someone out-and-out told MP to go F himself and insulted him, that person would be warned, and eventually banned. The mods and bosk1 ensure that. Just because someone may (if there were no restraints) say that to MP, doesn't mean it is actually permitted here. It's not (to my knowledge).

Let's just be clear -- there are some people who sadly will always be on an MP witch hunt.  But forum rules exist to not allow that sort of senseless BS. Granted, there's a fine line between criticism and bashing, and there are comments that straddle the line. But how do you know those people who cross it aren't warned and ultimately, stop? Last I checked, only the person warned and the mods/admin can see that history.

MP also has VERY thin skin. Any comment of criticism seems to always piss him off, even if it is meant in a constructive way because someone cares.

It's very messy. But if MP believes this forum bashes him, or if anyone else does, I think that's a very shallow view of this place, which is a mistake. It's structured so that pointless bashing isn't permitted, whereas criticism is. That's a distinction MP, and some of his apologists (not saying you, Stadler) should keep in mind.

It's also not an easy job walking that fine line as a mod/admin. You don't want to crack down too hard on people, but you also want to make sure the ideals of the forum are upheld. It's a lot harder than people think (trust me on that one), and most of the time, the admin/mods get shit on no matter what they do.

MP's statements tend to bring criticism. But if he wants a truly honest look at how what he says resonates, he need not look anywhere else but here. He just needs to thicken up his skin a bit, because it isn't going to be all flowers and rainbows all the time.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2034 on: July 27, 2017, 10:09:45 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Couldn't disagree with that any more than I do. 

Then perhaps your expectations of how members of this forum should interact is not in line with how this site is run, and this might not be the place for you.  If your view of what is allowed and what actually occurs on this site is that skewed and biased, I don't know what to tell you.  Samsara's take is dead-on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2035 on: July 27, 2017, 10:24:52 AM »
And most of that criticism is meant (in my opinion) as constructive, with people wanting MP to do well, and carry himself better - -because we care about him being successful and appreciate the music he's helped create.

Samsara, I 100% agree.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2036 on: July 27, 2017, 10:37:16 AM »
He has been told that very thing several times in the past, including hearing it from me face to face and via email.  For whatever reason, it never seems to register.

How was that conversation? I never heard this before. Was he cool about it?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2037 on: July 27, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »

It started off VERY negatively, with him making all sorts of accusations about the forum in general.  [So much so that Neal Morse, who was sitting next to him but didn't hear the conversation, and only picked up on the fact that Mike was upset and speaking in an upset tone of voice, turned to me and kind of came after me a bit as well]  I was taken aback, but didn't take it too personally because this was back in early 2010 or so, and this iteration of the Dream Theater forums with me running things was still fairly new.  I knew that a lot of his perceptions about the forums was second-hand, and was based on information about the how people acted on the old Dream Theater forum and on what had become 5/8, which has much different and much more loose rules about posting criticism.  I explained a lot of that and his tone changed somewhat and became much less icy.  But I still left feeling like he didn't really get it or care to get it, and had his mind made up.  And his subsequent demeanor toward the forums has soured me on that initial interaction.  Admittedly, because of that, my memory of the conversation may be somewhat tainted by the subsequent negativity.  But I don't think I am too far off. 

Scotty was also present for that conversation and may have a different take or may remember details I have forgotten.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2038 on: July 27, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »

It started off VERY negatively, with him making all sorts of accusations about the forum in general.  [So much so that Neal Morse, who was sitting next to him but didn't hear the conversation, and only picked up on the fact that Mike was upset and speaking in an upset tone of voice, turned to me and kind of came after me a bit as well]  I was taken aback, but didn't take it too personally because this was back in early 2010 or so, and this iteration of the Dream Theater forums with me running things was still fairly new.  I knew that a lot of his perceptions about the forums was second-hand, and was based on information about the how people acted on the old Dream Theater forum and on what had become 5/8, which has much different and much more loose rules about posting criticism.  I explained a lot of that and his tone changed somewhat and became much less icy.  But I still left feeling like he didn't really get it or care to get it, and had his mind made up.  And his subsequent demeanor toward the forums has soured me on that initial interaction.  Admittedly, because of that, my memory of the conversation may be somewhat tainted by the subsequent negativity.  But I don't think I am too far off. 

Scotty was also present for that conversation and may have a different take or may remember details I have forgotten.

Interesting, thank you. Did he know who you were or did you approach him? I guess what I am asking is how did the conversation come up?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2039 on: July 27, 2017, 11:32:54 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Couldn't disagree with that any more than I do. 

Then perhaps your expectations of how members of this forum should interact is not in line with how this site is run, and this might not be the place for you.  If your view of what is allowed and what actually occurs on this site is that skewed and biased, I don't know what to tell you.  Samsara's take is dead-on.

Maybe we're using "bashed" in a different way.  Bosk, I like it here - I like you, for what I know of you - and unless asked to leave, I'm going nowhere.   Perhaps it's my definition, because I agree with a lot of what Samsara wrote in his followup, and I really mean "hypercritical"?   I don't think the criticism goes overboard in the sense of being banable ("bannable"?) but I do think that at this point he doesn't garner too much benefit of the doubt from some people.    They may feel justified in that, and that's on them. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2040 on: July 27, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
Criticism: I think Stadler is an excellent artist, but he lacks certain techniques that are keeping him from excelling. With more practice he could be amazing.

Bashing: Your drawings SUUUUUUUUUJUUUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2041 on: July 27, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
MP isn't bashed.

Always with the extreme, imaginary scenarios. :lol :lol :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2042 on: July 27, 2017, 06:48:58 PM »
MP isn't bashed.

Yeah. There are exactly zero people who would say that.

bill1971 retweeted

That's all well and good.  But people here are not unfairly "bashing" him.  If something he posts or says makes him come across as a prick, that's on him, and it is fair game for discussion.  If something he posts or says is positive, that is likewise fair game for discussion about how great it is.  Nobody here is unfairly piling on for the sake of piling on--they are commenting on what he himself has said and done.  If his posts and public comments themselves weren't so frequently negative, you wouldn't see the negative reactions to them here.

And it's great that some know "the full story."  But, honestly, if you aren't willing to back up what you say with specifics, you don't really have a right to tell other people they don't know what they're talking about.  If you can't share what you know, or just don't think it is appropriate, or just don't want to, that's fine.  But, again, if you can't or won't provide facts, don't tell other people what to think.

Your opinion of the tweet is unclear. To speculate that you agree with it would just be starting drama. 

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2043 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:41 PM »

bill1971 retweeted

Your opinion of the tweet is unclear. To speculate that you agree with it would just be starting drama.
[/quote]

Drama? In this thread? No way
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2044 on: July 28, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
Gah...I forgot the sarcastic green font!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: July 28, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Well, there is SOME hyperbole, but only to (try to) keep it light and interesting (especially given where this went last time).   I'm just expressing my opinion that some - not all, but some - could give more of the benefit of the doubt to Mike.  That they don't is purely up to them, and they don't have to do a single thing I say, but while I agree that in a literal sense "zero people would say that", Mike didn't write "Never Enough" for no reason at all.   

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2046 on: July 28, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Yeah. There are exactly zero people who would say that.

bill1971 retweeted

Good point.  I would like everyone to guess which parts I agree with and omit the rest. :)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2047 on: July 28, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

Well, there is SOME hyperbole, but only to (try to) keep it light and interesting (especially given where this went last time).   I'm just expressing my opinion that some - not all, but some - could give more of the benefit of the doubt to Mike.  That they don't is purely up to them, and they don't have to do a single thing I say, but while I agree that in a literal sense "zero people would say that", Mike didn't write "Never Enough" for no reason at all.

What?!? He didn't write it for himself?!?
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2048 on: July 28, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

I like that song, it's my favorite Muse song.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2049 on: July 28, 2017, 10:52:44 AM »
MP isn't bashed.

I like that song, it's my favorite Muse song.

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2050 on: July 28, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
Part 3 is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLxqNFXKQtI

and there's already a blabbermouth article...https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-i-have-no-longing-to-reunite-with-dream-theater/

Asked in a new interview with Rockhok how sure he is that he will never get on stage with DREAM THEATER again, Portnoy said (see video below): "Well, I normally dodge these questions, but I'll answer it. The ball's in their court, to be honest. I have no longing to reunite with them; it's not something I necessarily am looking to do or want to do. I'm very content with all the eighty-seven bands I currently have going, so it's something I need. But I would do it for the fans, because I'm a very sentimental person and I have a lot of great, fond memories of those guys and the times. I'm a sentimental guy, so I would never close the door on it. So, really, the ball's in their court, honestly. [But] if you're asking me the odds [of a reunion happening], I would say, don't bet on it, because I know their personalities as well and I don't think they're the type that are looking backwards. Although they're out there playing [the 1992 DREAM THEATER album] 'Images And Words' [in its entirety on tour], but that's their choice."

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2051 on: July 28, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »

and there's already a blabbermouth article...https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-i-have-no-longing-to-reunite-with-dream-theater/

Asked in a new interview with Rockhok how sure he is that he will never get on stage with DREAM THEATER again, Portnoy said (see video below): "Well, I normally dodge these questions, but I'll answer it. The ball's in their court, to be honest. I have no longing to reunite with them; it's not something I necessarily am looking to do or want to do. I'm very content with all the eighty-seven bands I currently have going, so it's something I need. But I would do it for the fans, because I'm a very sentimental person and I have a lot of great, fond memories of those guys and the times. I'm a sentimental guy, so I would never close the door on it. So, really, the ball's in their court, honestly. [But] if you're asking me the odds [of a reunion happening], I would say, don't bet on it, because I know their personalities as well and I don't think they're the type that are looking backwards. Although they're out there playing [the 1992 DREAM THEATER album] 'Images And Words' [in its entirety on tour], but that's their choice."

FOR THE FANS  :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2052 on: July 28, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
Just finished watching the video, really enjoyed the series.  I think reading that blabbermouth article gave me a different impression than actually watching the interview (as is usually the case, especially with blabbermouth). 

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2053 on: July 28, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

Yeah, I agree with the for the fans. That gets old, but other than that there was no real drama I thought. He said if they called, he would do it.  Although I don't know why he equates playing older material with wanting ex members back in the band though.

Also I don't know why he would need to forgive them. He left the band.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:53:20 AM by bill1971 »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2054 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
He probably still needs to forgive that they did not go with his idea of a hiatus of indetermined time.... even when he said he would settle for a five year hiatus they told him no.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2055 on: July 28, 2017, 11:59:32 AM »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2056 on: July 28, 2017, 12:10:53 PM »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2057 on: July 28, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
But mayby in his eyes he was forced to leave the band as they did not budge and allow a hiatus instead...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2058 on: July 28, 2017, 12:19:11 PM »

Yeah, I agree with the for the fans. That gets old, but other than that there was no real drama I thought. He said if they called, he would do it.  Although I don't know why he equates playing older material with wanting ex members back in the band though.

Also I don't know why he would need to forgive them. He left the band.

Maybe I'm missing something, but where is "forgiveness" even mentioned?  ???

EDIT:  Never mind.  I didn't read the article and was going off of what was quoted.  I see it now.  Yeah, I mean, as far as what you said, there really isn't anything to "forgive" on its face.  But I don't really hold that comment against him because: (1) he may subjectively feel that that he was "wronged" by the band not hearing him out and understanding his need for a hiatus, or (2) something that may have happened or may have been said behind the scenes that we know nothing about, or (3) the band not responding to him when he was attempting to communicate with them after the break during the time they were going through all the legal stuff, or (4) something we just know nothing about.  But in any case, not a big deal that he said that, IMO.

I do somewhat take umbrage with his repeated "the ball is in their court."  Not that there's anything wrong with that on its face.  But it somewhat implies that the band should make the call, and it is again sort of passively deflecting and saying "it's them, not me.  I'd do it for you guys, the fans, but they aren't making it happen."  Even if that isn't what he means, again, it's on him to measure his words and their impact before he utters them.  But again, in the grand scheme of things, not a huge deal. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:26:31 PM by bosk1 »

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2059 on: July 28, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
In the video he talks about forgiving..... although not clearly about forgiving DT. He talks about how he would be open to meet up with any of the bands he has played in and mentions Transatlantic and O.S.I

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2060 on: July 28, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »
He doesn't hold grudges, but he hates at least one Canadian.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2061 on: July 28, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »
About the interview, I was avoiding to listen some Shattered Fortress performance, because hopefully I'll be at São Paulo show, but... well, I'm really impressed from what I heard/saw on the footage's interview, specially the vocal departament, VERY good job! Ross is very close of James tone, amazing!
I like a lot the part where MP talked about Derek to "reclaim back the progressive metal throne!". That's the spirit, guys! I'm sure they will loose this fight (DT team :coolio), but I'm also pretty sure that they'll make a great album in this crusade!  :tup :tup :tup
Just a question, that I guess nobody has never asked or the band never adressed about: why Kevin Moore haven't any writting credit on ACoS and neither Derek on any part of SFaM?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #2062 on: July 28, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
To me the most interesting tidbit from that interview was that he would consider reuniting with O.S.I. I was rather under the impression that, given his past comments about his experience with them, he would never be open to playing with Kevin Moore again.

...anyone see what I did there?   ::)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2063 on: July 28, 2017, 01:09:53 PM »
To me the most interesting tidbit from that interview was that he would consider reuniting with O.S.I. I was rather under the impression that, given his past comments about his experience with them, he would never be open to playing with Kevin Moore again.

gtfo
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2064 on: July 28, 2017, 01:16:30 PM »

The ball is in Kevin Moore's court.