Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 214623 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1925 on: July 15, 2017, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm not saying bob should pile on, but instead of saying shit like, "Mike could cure cancer and people would still complain", he could recognize that some of the things Mike is saying might be a tad shitty.
Well he has admitted that but in the absolute most passive and non-specific way. "I wouldn't have posted that." Thus reserving his biggest criticism for people with legitimate gripes that constructively articulate their opinions. Then they try to say, "See how open minded I am? One time I criticized Mike."

If that is the litmus test then clearly I am more open minded and unbiased as I continue to praise many things MP has done and have spent not only thousands of dollars on DT including official bootlegs and whatnot, but also hundreds of dollars from his personal online store.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1926 on: July 15, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »
How is it relevant how much money you have spent on DT or MP stuff? That has absolutely nothing to do with open-mindedness whatsoever.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1927 on: July 15, 2017, 10:52:56 AM »
How is it relevant how much money you have spent on DT or MP stuff? That has absolutely nothing to do with open-mindedness whatsoever.

Uh, because if I was close minded I would probably rest on my laurels and not continue to support or enjoy any output of that person. 

I would have thought that was obvious.   :facepalm:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1928 on: July 15, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1929 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:03 PM »

Uh, because if I was close minded I would probably rest on my laurels and not continue to support or enjoy any output of that person. 

Agreed.  And I didn't take your comment as "I buy his music, so I have the right to criticize him all day and every day."

Shoot, I haven't been a fan of Portnoy the man for a decade and a half, yet he might be on more CDs I own than other musician.   Doing some quick math in my head, counting CDs I have bought the physical media or digitally, and not counting live albums, he accounts for 11 Dream Theater (10 studio albums and the ACOS EP), 4 Transatlantic, 2 Flying Colors, 2 LTE and 9 Neal Morse/NMB. That comes out to 28 (and you could say 29 since I originally bought the first OSI CD, although I no longer own the physical CD).  32 if you count the four doubles (6DOIT, both Testimony albums and Similitude).

Steven Wilson actually surpasses him with 33, and Devin Townsend is fast catching him, too (24 or 25 right now, I think).

And actually, Neal Morse is right there as well with 27, and Roine Stolt has 30.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1930 on: July 15, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
Seen a couple of full concert videos on YouTube with pretty good audio. Has anyone seen any descent bootlegs posted anywhere? Even if its flac can always convert

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1931 on: July 15, 2017, 01:26:32 PM »
Seen a couple of full concert videos on YouTube with pretty good audio. Has anyone seen any descent bootlegs posted anywhere? Even if its flac can always convert

Malmo
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=595656
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1932 on: July 15, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »

Agreed.  And I didn't take your comment as "I buy his music, so I have the right to criticize him all day and every day."

Shoot, I haven't been a fan of Portnoy the man for a decade and a half, yet he might be on more CDs I own than other musician.   Doing some quick math in my head, counting CDs I have bought the physical media or digitally, and not counting live albums, he accounts for 11 Dream Theater (10 studio albums and the ACOS EP), 4 Transatlantic, 2 Flying Colors, 2 LTE and 9 Neal Morse/NMB. That comes out to 28 (and you could say 29 since I originally bought the first OSI CD, although I no longer own the physical CD).  32 if you count the four doubles (6DOIT, both Testimony albums and Similitude).

Steven Wilson actually surpasses him with 33, and Devin Townsend is fast catching him, too (24 or 25 right now, I think).

And actually, Neal Morse is right there as well with 27, and Roine Stolt has 30.

Without counting, I think I have close to 50.  All of the ytsejam bootlegs, all of the studio and live albums, all of his tribute band albums, then when you figure in all of the DT DVDs and a few of the MP DVDs, then tribute albums likes Working Man and a few others...plus the John Arch album (which I honestly think has his best drum work...I was blown away by it and this was after the bitterness of the split that I first heard it), and a few others beyond that.  None of the Transatlantic, Flying Colors, or Winery Dogs as I just can't get into those. 

That's one of the bummers about technology these days.  It's so easy to record, I don't feel like there are as many quality bootlegs anymore.  I would love to hear some myself. 

I don't understand technology very well so I still rely on CDs  :-[

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1933 on: July 15, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
...plus the John Arch album

That's a forgotten gem for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1934 on: July 15, 2017, 01:54:49 PM »

Malmo
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=595656

Cheers Dude downloading it now!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1935 on: July 15, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »
I'll check it out when I can sign up for dime again. I've long lost my login info.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1936 on: July 15, 2017, 06:32:42 PM »
About the FII songs, MP said in an interview that he would reserved those songs for when he tour with Derek..

Portnoy is online enough to know that Burning My Soul and Just Let Me Breathe are not popular DT songs in general. Heck, they are two of the least popular songs from FII.  It is hard to imagine his new band playing two of the least popular DT songs as the only DT selections.

Now, imagine if they played Raise the Knife.... That would give fans a collective boner.

True.. And you forgot New Millennium, which is not so popular either.. But yeah, RtN would be great, totally!..

Also, I don't think Burning My Soul would be precisely a terrible choice; in fact, DT themselves played it for the 30th anniversary tour..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1937 on: July 15, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »
About the FII songs, MP said in an interview that he would reserved those songs for when he tour with Derek..

Portnoy is online enough to know that Burning My Soul and Just Let Me Breathe are not popular DT songs in general. Heck, they are two of the least popular songs from FII.  It is hard to imagine his new band playing two of the least popular DT songs as the only DT selections.

Now, imagine if they played Raise the Knife.... That would give fans a collective boner.

True.. And you forgot New Millennium, which is not so popular either.. But yeah, RtN would be great, totally!..

Also, I don't think Burning My Soul would be precisely a terrible choice; in fact, DT themselves played it for the 30th anniversary tour..

BMS is one of my favorite songs on FII. Actually, listening BMS - HK - LITS back to back is amazing  :metal

Also, I really like Raw Dog, and never understood why:

1) Lots of people dislike/hate it
2) It has never been played live

Back to the topic, these MPSF shows are great, but I just want this tourto finish already, so Haken can start working on their 5th album, and MP can focus on his new, hopefully good, prog metal supergroup.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1938 on: July 15, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
Back to the topic, these MPSF shows are great, but I just want this tourto finish already, so Haken can start working on their 5th album, and MP can focus on his new, hopefully good, prog metal supergroup.

Oh but they have to come to Argentina first.. ;D

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1939 on: July 15, 2017, 09:43:21 PM »

You, Argentinian fans, are always very lucky, all the cool bands always visit you and completely ignore us. Nunca vienen a Perú  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ToT-147

« Reply #1940 on: July 16, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »

You, Argentinian fans, are always very lucky, all the cool bands always visit you and completely ignore us. Nunca vienen a Perú  :'(

I can't say we're not lucky, having a dvd recorded in our lands too, but I guess for most bands coming to South America means only visiting Chile, Argentina and Brazil.. Very unfair.. Although I've heard that DT played once in your country, or I misheard that?..

(FWIW, I'm still waiting for two of my favorite bands right now/one of the coolest bands right now IMO :smiley: -Haken and Leprous- to come here.. NE on me! :angel:)

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1941 on: July 16, 2017, 03:05:37 PM »
I'll check it out when I can sign up for dime again. I've long lost my login info.

well i've downloaded the torrent but not gotten much further than that.....constantly bittorrent contently searching for peers to start the download....  >:( >:(

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: July 16, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
Are their seeders? Do you usually have issues with your torrents?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1943 on: July 16, 2017, 03:33:17 PM »
There are 33 seeders for the show.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1944 on: July 17, 2017, 07:50:32 AM »
I've never met Mike Portnoy. I know people who know him, but I have not met the man.

Samsara, there's a lot of respect here, and this isn't directed necessarily at you, so please consider that when you read this, but I'm at a loss.  Most of the people here are in your camp - not having ever met the guy (a selfie after the show is not "meeting the guy" in this sense) - and yet are saying things that they cannot know.   Not just "what he puts out there" but ascribing those things to mental states and emotions and psychological rationalizations, even though there are people here who DO know him, who have sat and broke bread with him, and who have shared discussions about these topics say otherwise.

Look, I've been around enough to know that the stock, pat answer is "he's a public figure" (implying that anything goes and things like respect and decency and human kindness are irrelevant) but how would some of you feel if you had dime-store psychologists taking every word YOU say in the worst possible light in order to bolster their own prejudices or thought processes?  And ignoring not only the underlying context, but also things that people close to you - who would know - are saying?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1945 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:18 AM »
First, as far as you go Stadler, you are clearly not being rational.  I didn't refer to some cancer survivor.  I merely said everyone here has been touched by cancer in some way (knowing someone personally or having it themselves), and Bob's little analogy was just ridiculous.  You didn't touch the fact that all of us here have praised Mike at some point or another and then slam us and claim you and Bob are more open minded because you passively said his social media actions are sometimes not preferable.  Give me a break. 

I don't think there is another poster on this board that manipulates words as much as you do.  I mostly just ignored your wordy diatribes and bizarre irrational arguments but I for whatever reason decided to reengage.  You decided you would down with the ship at any costs and you find yourself on the ocean floor.  I think it's back to turning the channel on you.

If you want to keep it on topic, I'll talk with you all day long.  If you want to make it personal - I'm not "rational"?  I'm a "manipulator"? My posts are "diatribes"?  - I'll pass thanks.  I'm not at all interested in a "contest".  I know what's right, decent and respectful.  And if that puts me on the "ocean floor", well that says more about the rest of the discussion, not me. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: July 17, 2017, 07:56:29 AM »
For the record, this thread bugs the hell out of me, but the subject matter an obvious point of discussion here.

Thanks Nick. It's appreciated.

Not directing this at Nick..
It's just, what is the point? What are we actually discussing?

Apparently my character, posting style and posting motivations.   :P

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »
I can recognize when me friend is out of line. Why can't bob?

The difference is, you're not Mike's friend, so your assessment that he's "out of line" isn't relevant.   Bob IS the friend; presumably when one of Mike's OTHER friends comes out and says "Mike's out of line!" then your analogy would be accurate. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: July 17, 2017, 08:06:05 AM »
I'm not saying bob should pile on, but instead of saying shit like, "Mike could cure cancer and people would still complain", he could recognize that some of the things Mike is saying might be a tad shitty.

Except all of us sticking up for him have already done that, multiple times.  I know I have.   What we haven't done (and I can't speak for anyone else here) is agree with what someone else said is "EVERY. SINGLE. TIME", or the cheap, dime-store psychological assessments about what Mike feels, his emotions, etc.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: July 17, 2017, 08:10:32 AM »

Wasn't New Millenium played a lot though, as part of a mashup with Caught In A Web? 

I listened to FII over the weekend while laying down some flooring in my house and I was surprised at how good it was.  I still detest Doug Pinnick's "singing" on Lines In The Sand, but I forgot how good the rest of the song was, and I forgot how much I liked "Hell's Kitchen" (I'm not a huge fan of "Burning My Soul", so it gets lumped in there, wrongly).   

I always shortchanged that album, coming as it did after the epochal Images and Words and strong Awake, but it's pretty good.   I still think I'd rather go for one of the others, but still.  If that's what they play in the new outfit, I'd be okay with that.   I'd like to hear "Anna Lee".  What're the chances (besides slim to none)?

I don't think I've heard "Raw Dog" more than a handful of times.  That might be next to go back to.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1950 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:34 AM »
I've never met Mike Portnoy. I know people who know him, but I have not met the man.

Samsara, there's a lot of respect here, and this isn't directed necessarily at you, so please consider that when you read this, but I'm at a loss.  Most of the people here are in your camp - not having ever met the guy (a selfie after the show is not "meeting the guy" in this sense) - and yet are saying things that they cannot know.   Not just "what he puts out there" but ascribing those things to mental states and emotions and psychological rationalizations, even though there are people here who DO know him, who have sat and broke bread with him, and who have shared discussions about these topics say otherwise.

Look, I've been around enough to know that the stock, pat answer is "he's a public figure" (implying that anything goes and things like respect and decency and human kindness are irrelevant) but how would some of you feel if you had dime-store psychologists taking every word YOU say in the worst possible light in order to bolster their own prejudices or thought processes?  And ignoring not only the underlying context, but also things that people close to you - who would know - are saying?

If you weren't talking specifically at me, then don't quote my words. Just paraphrase and leave me out of it.

I think this whole thread is completely derailed, mostly because you can't let stuff go, Stadler. You're (for lack of a better word) trolling people and keep poking the hornets nest. The bottom line is, message boards are meant for speculation. Just because YOU don't like THE WAY people are speculating about MP, doesn't meant they don't have the right to do it.

If it bothers you so much, instead of coming back again and again and derailing the conversation, I suggest just moving on from it if you don't feel  your message is  being understood properly. Or, if it means that much to you, PM the people. Because all I know is, if I was looking for information on Shattered Fortress and what they'd be up to, this thread wouldn't be of much use because of (no disrespect intended) what you've (and others that are doing the same) have done to it.

Just (as Mosh said...lol) let it go........ :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1951 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:11 AM »
Do people generally not like "New Millennium?" I really dig the song, and would be surprised if it is disliked. I think it would be killer if Shattered Fortress played it. And Raise the Knife -- not as many people know that one, but man that would be cool. I forget (too lazy to check the seltist) if I saw it in 1998 at the holiday show at Irving Plaza...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1952 on: July 17, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »
I have never been a fan of New Millennium, one of my least favorite DT songs.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1953 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:20 AM »
Me neither although I had a recent connection with it while watching Budokan that lead me to enjoy it a lot more than I ever had before, but it still ranks very low in DT songs for me.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: July 17, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »
Interesting. I just thought it was so different sounding, and a really fresh new sound for DT that it appealed to me personally. The only time I think I've seen it is when DT opened for Deep Purple at Jones Beach (Aug. 9, 1998, if memory serves). I don't think they played it when I saw them at the holiday show (I forget) or on the ToT tour (which is what Budokan was culled from, right?). My ToT show was San Francisco, and I don't remember it being played.

I dunno, I guess I want to see Shattered Fortress play as much DT stuff that DT itself doesn't play much these days.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1955 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:28 AM »
For me, I appreciate that it does try new things, but it comes off as jarring and subpar in my opinion. I have long said the one change that would have greatly improved FII would be swapping NM with Raise the Knife. Would get things off to a much better start.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: July 17, 2017, 08:42:33 AM »
For me, I appreciate that it does try new things, but it comes off as jarring and subpar in my opinion. I have long said the one change that would have greatly improved FII would be swapping NM with Raise the Knife. Would get things off to a much better start.

Yeah, I can see that. I do prefer RTK over NM.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1957 on: July 17, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Over the last couple years I've really started to like NM more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1958 on: July 17, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Why aren't MP and Labrie in good terms? What happened? Source?

Only speculation, but Mike has talked shit about James over the years, and I'd assume James doesn't like that too much. He may have even been the main person keeping Mike from doing collaborations, which in turn would cause Mike's dislike.

I know I'm the one that usually ignores all the facts out there -  :P - but let's not forget:  "I'm glad he's gone", "We finally feel free", "I can now be the frontman instead of sharing the stage" (yeah, you stepped it up, bud; 51 minutes behind the amp line playing Candy Crush instead of the former 53 minutes); "What he did wasn't really that hard or special"; "We as a band will each take a little piece of what Mike did and we'll do it; you won't notice a thing!" (still waiting on that Ytsejam batch, and the rotating setlists, James!).

Well, probably out of all DT members, James is the one that didn't hide behind a PR politeness as good as the others, but I understand his frustation at the comments from Mike about not chosing him again if given the chance... can you imagine in reverse the same statements? James saying "Well, Mike's great and all but right now we're all laid back dude so if given the chance we'd pick a less flamboyant drummer"?

That's like Steve Harris saying "Well, we picked Blaze Bayley because he's british, if Doogie White wasn't american he would have been a better choice", or Judas Priest saying "We picked Ripper because he's a clone, if we could find someone else now we'd go for a singer with a different style"... that's something you just don't say about a bandmate.

I don't mean to put you on the spot (and for all I know, you agree with me, so I'm arguing with myself) but if you can accommodate James' frustration, and understand why HE lashed out, why are we not willing to do that with Mike himself?   You either go all in on "face value/no context" or all in on "the whole story matters".   One doesn't get a pass and the other does.   

Maybe because James didn't "lash out."  There is nothing inappropriate about what James said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1959 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
Love New Millennium, one of the better tracks on FII for me. I really like the King Crimson styled rhythmic stuff.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods