Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 214200 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1575 on: July 07, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »
I see it differently.   To me, "silence" is not the high road.   And I'm not "assuming" anything, that's the point.  I'm not at ALL saying MIKE IS RIGHT, and I'm not calling DT "passive aggressive dicks".    I'm not making ANY judgments; I'm saying "I don't have enough information to MAKE judgments".   How much more objective can I get?

You literally referred to yourself as being on "team Mike"...

And I don't apologize for that.  That means I like his music.  That means that "whatever it was" that he brought to DT was in large part the "whatever" that made them a top three band for me.     That doesn't at all mean I can't be objective.   I never once said that "he was right" or that "I think he's right no matter what".   

All I'm saying is that a label like "passive aggressive" is subject to the circumstances.  What is passive aggressive in one context is not necessarily so if you change the underlying facts.  And there's NEVER any call - whether you're Team Mike, or Team DT or Team Beiber - to call people "dicks".   That's just personal.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1576 on: July 07, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »
Personally (I haven't always felt this way), I find a lot of the stuff he says to be entertaining and amusing, and compared to some of his peers in the music industry who have done some truly odious things, I don't really think it's a big deal. But I get why it bothers people.

Ah, that's for sure. He seriously needs a lesson or two from a PR manager on how to behave on social media, but nothing he's ever done or said made me seriously cringe in utter contempt. He oozes enthusiasm for what he does and it clearly transpires in his messages.

That's kind of where I'm at, ultimately.  I think Twitter is dumb to start with, and you get what you deserve by putting your complex human emotions out there in 140 characters or less.   

I just wish people would curtail the psychoanalysis and the name-calling until the whole story is out.  If that's "bias" so be it. 

(And for your benefit, Bosk, I made a point of saying "Team Mike" because there's another site out there - you may be familiar with it - that, in the wake of Mike's leaving DT, were absolutely BRUTAL to him.  I mean, beyond the pale.  Anti-Semitic.   Homophobic.  One line of reasoning even posited him as an incestuous child molester.  It was absolutely disgusting, and all rationalized by, and I'm paraphrasing a little, but I'm not at all far off, "his passive aggressive behavior in the wake of HIS leaving DT".)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: July 07, 2017, 10:31:36 AM »
I am team both but really think Mike needs to think before posting online.

Answering:  Only one

To a post  asking whether Mike hates canadians

That is soo unneccesary.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1578 on: July 07, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
Back to the music...  I'm really nervous about the vocals.   My opinion of LaBrie is akin to Bosk's for MP; I think his voice is crucial and integral to the sound of DT (and part of the reason I even got into the band) though my personal feelings for the guy are not all that high (and I don't think he's really a good front man at all.  "Let's RAAAAAAWWWWWKKKKKKKK!" doesn't make you a good frontman.)

I'm worried that the vocals are not going to do justice to the material.   Having said that, I'm not sure I want to see any of the videos before the show.  I know the setlist, and that's fine, but I want the experience...  any thoughts? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: July 07, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »

That is soo unneccesary.

Well, I thought he meant Justin Beiber, so there.   That could explain everything.   :)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1580 on: July 07, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »

That is soo unneccesary.

Well, I thought he meant Justin Beiber, so there.   That could explain everything.   :)
That would still make him look like a jackass. So yeah, I guess it would indeed explain everything.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1581 on: July 07, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »
Personally (I haven't always felt this way), I find a lot of the stuff he says to be entertaining and amusing, and compared to some of his peers in the music industry who have done some truly odious things, I don't really think it's a big deal. But I get why it bothers people.

Ah, that's for sure. He seriously needs a lesson or two from a PR manager on how to behave on social media, but nothing he's ever done or said made me seriously cringe in utter contempt. He oozes enthusiasm for what he does and it clearly transpires in his messages.

That's kind of where I'm at, ultimately.  I think Twitter is dumb to start with, and you get what you deserve by putting your complex human emotions out there in 140 characters or less.   

I just wish people would curtail the psychoanalysis and the name-calling until the whole story is out.  If that's "bias" so be it. 

(And for your benefit, Bosk, I made a point of saying "Team Mike" because there's another site out there - you may be familiar with it - that, in the wake of Mike's leaving DT, were absolutely BRUTAL to him.  I mean, beyond the pale.  Anti-Semitic.   Homophobic.  One line of reasoning even posited him as an incestuous child molester.  It was absolutely disgusting, and all rationalized by, and I'm paraphrasing a little, but I'm not at all far off, "his passive aggressive behavior in the wake of HIS leaving DT".)

That's horrible.  I don't care how upset someone may have been by his leaving DT - there is no excuse for any of that.  I'm not a fan of his passive aggressive behavior, or whatever you want to call it, but nothing he has said (or could say) would justify me making anti-Semitic, homophobic, or any other manner of disgusting comments.

I'm in the camp that wishes he would stop with the comments.  I don't think it makes him a bad person - people are complex.  He could be a great guy in all other aspects of his life (or not, we don't know). Thus, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt.  This could be just one side of him that I don't like.  It does wear on me, I have to admit.  It does sometimes take my interest in seeing The Shattered Fortress or hearing his new project down a little.  Then I try to remind myself to just keep an open mind.  As a relative newbie here, my observation in this thread (and a couple others) is that most here aren't bashing him personally and aren't even assuming to know who has mistreated who behind the scenes, but instead are critiquing his public comments, which is valid.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1582 on: July 07, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
I see it differently.   To me, "silence" is not the high road.   And I'm not "assuming" anything, that's the point.  I'm not at ALL saying MIKE IS RIGHT, and I'm not calling DT "passive aggressive dicks".    I'm not making ANY judgments; I'm saying "I don't have enough information to MAKE judgments".   How much more objective can I get?

And I don't apologize for that.  That means I like his music.  That means that "whatever it was" that he brought to DT was in large part the "whatever" that made them a top three band for me.     That doesn't at all mean I can't be objective. 

:lol

It just means you choose not to be...ever.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1583 on: July 07, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »
Back to the music...  I'm really nervous about the vocals.   My opinion of LaBrie is akin to Bosk's for MP; I think his voice is crucial and integral to the sound of DT (and part of the reason I even got into the band) though my personal feelings for the guy are not all that high (and I don't think he's really a good front man at all.  "Let's RAAAAAAWWWWWKKKKKKKK!" doesn't make you a good frontman.)

I'm worried that the vocals are not going to do justice to the material.   Having said that, I'm not sure I want to see any of the videos before the show.  I know the setlist, and that's fine, but I want the experience...  any thoughts?

Actually I think JL is a good front man.  The Haken guy doing the vocals for Shattered Fortress is going to be acceptable, I think.  I actually don't know the whole setlist, but have watched a few videos of 12 step songs plus 1 more.  He is capable of hitting the notes; in some of the videos he struggles but more than OK for a live show.  I don't like his voice for the DT songs, and on the videos I'd say it doesn't do it justice 'cuz I just don't like the way it sounds.  However - when you are there live and in person?  Might be OK.  You know?

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1584 on: July 07, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »
A U.S. tour would be nice. I think there's a bigger market in Europe. They seem to have a much bigger appreciation for this kind of music over there,  same with Asia and South America. The U.S. is too mainstream..

Yup, totally agreed.  Seemed like MP had to work hard just to get the NYC date, which isn't a huge venue and isn't even sold out.   ProgPower makes tons of sense though.

Yeah. To be fair to MP, he and DT, at least in the fall, are obviously competing. I am sure those DT dates are already set in stone, and they are waiting to announce them. So for promoters to book DT, and then to come back and book MP doing DT...that makes it problematic from a promoter standpoint. Bad timing. Plus...all the scheduling on top of that of the players involved.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: July 07, 2017, 12:06:49 PM »
A U.S. tour would be nice. I think there's a bigger market in Europe. They seem to have a much bigger appreciation for this kind of music over there,  same with Asia and South America. The U.S. is too mainstream..

Yup, totally agreed.  Seemed like MP had to work hard just to get the NYC date, which isn't a huge venue and isn't even sold out.   ProgPower makes tons of sense though.

Yeah. To be fair to MP, he and DT, at least in the fall, are obviously competing. I am sure those DT dates are already set in stone, and they are waiting to announce them. So for promoters to book DT, and then to come back and book MP doing DT...that makes it problematic from a promoter standpoint. Bad timing. Plus...all the scheduling on top of that of the players involved.

Yea I definitely wondered if the touring schedules of either one effected another.  I'm not sure I can speculate anymore than that though since the only facts we have are that MP is playing two shows in the US and DT have continually said NA dates soon.   ???

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1586 on: July 07, 2017, 12:29:03 PM »

And I don't apologize for that.  That means I like his music.  That means that "whatever it was" that he brought to DT was in large part the "whatever" that made them a top three band for me.     That doesn't at all mean I can't be objective. 

It just means you choose not to be...ever.

Pretty much  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1587 on: July 07, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »

That's horrible.  I don't care how upset someone may have been by his leaving DT - there is no excuse for any of that.  I'm not a fan of his passive aggressive behavior, or whatever you want to call it, but nothing he has said (or could say) would justify me making anti-Semitic, homophobic, or any other manner of disgusting comments.

I'm in the camp that wishes he would stop with the comments.  I don't think it makes him a bad person - people are complex.  He could be a great guy in all other aspects of his life (or not, we don't know). Thus, I try to give him the benefit of the doubt.  This could be just one side of him that I don't like.  It does wear on me, I have to admit.  It does sometimes take my interest in seeing The Shattered Fortress or hearing his new project down a little.  Then I try to remind myself to just keep an open mind.  As a relative newbie here, my observation in this thread (and a couple others) is that most here aren't bashing him personally and aren't even assuming to know who has mistreated who behind the scenes, but instead are critiquing his public comments, which is valid.

I look at MP like many on Facebook.  People post their drama and really should not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1588 on: July 07, 2017, 12:56:20 PM »

I'm a big Haken fan but it took me some time to get comfortable with Ross.
That being said I was really impressed how he handled the songs yesterday (013), especially the first part of the show (Strange Deja Vu, The Mirror, TGP, TDS).
He struggled a little during Home & Finally Free but still a great performance overall.

I saw 2 DT shows this year and while the setlist off course is completely different I'm definitely more impressed by Ross compared to JLB.

I'm glad I will see them again next week at The Night of The Prog.
Twice in a lifetime event :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1589 on: July 07, 2017, 01:03:28 PM »

Actually I think JL is a good front man.  The Haken guy doing the vocals for Shattered Fortress is going to be acceptable, I think.  I actually don't know the whole setlist, but have watched a few videos of 12 step songs plus 1 more.  He is capable of hitting the notes; in some of the videos he struggles but more than OK for a live show.  I don't like his voice for the DT songs, and on the videos I'd say it doesn't do it justice 'cuz I just don't like the way it sounds.  However - when you are there live and in person?  Might be OK.  You know?

I do know.  I've seen David Lee Roth and Brian Johnson live.  :)   

Another thread - and I'll repeat, his voice is why I got into DT to begin with - but compared to Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie Dio, Paul Stanley, Freddie Mercury, Bono, hell, even James Hetfield and the aforementioned Roth... James is not a great frontman. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: July 07, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »
I like both Ross and JLB.  I think they are both pretty similar in that they are vocals for progressive metal bands where the other musicians are so talented that it makes the vocalist who can't always replicate the studio (that's not a knock on them, just the realities of being a singer) look poor compared to the rest of the band (who can precisely replicate the studio).  Both vocalists are also pretty divisive with the fan bases too.   I feel Ross may be the best (that I can think of) to sing for this project.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1591 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:55 PM »
I feel Ross may be the best (that I can think of) to sing for this project.

Dominici :neverusethis:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1592 on: July 07, 2017, 04:42:12 PM »
I like both Ross and JLB.  I think they are both pretty similar in that they are vocals for progressive metal bands where the other musicians are so talented that it makes the vocalist who can't always replicate the studio (that's not a knock on them, just the realities of being a singer) look poor compared to the rest of the band (who can precisely replicate the studio).  Both vocalists are also pretty divisive with the fan bases too.   I feel Ross may be the best (that I can think of) to sing for this project.

When I still followed MP on Twitter, I remember somebody asked him about having Russell Allen sing for these shows. Mike replied saying he wanted to, but Russell had other commitments, so he had to decline. It must still be on a tweet somewhere on Mike's profile.

Even though Haken is my 2nd favorite band, after DT, and that I'm a big fan of Ross, I think Russell would've been a much better fit for these shows than him.

My "dream" lineup for the band would've been: MP, Diego Tejeida, Conner Green, Eric Gillette and Russell Allen.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CB

« Reply #1593 on: July 07, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »

Another thread - and I'll repeat, his voice is why I got into DT to begin with - but compared to Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie Dio, Paul Stanley, Freddie Mercury, Bono, hell, even James Hetfield and the aforementioned Roth... James is not a great frontman.

IMO a great frontman is a singer who is perfect for the band he's in. I really don't think that, for example, Bruce Dickinson would be a great frontman for DT. The band wouldn't be a unit on stage, JP, JR and JM would totally be pushed into the background. That's not the way DT works. Also, I always have the feeling that JLB is totally reflecting the meaning and the mood of the songs with his voice, that's the most important thing for me anyway.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1594 on: July 07, 2017, 05:33:57 PM »

Significantly more. 

Can't we all just agree that regardless of the underlying facts Mike can tend to act in a petty and passive-aggressive manner when speaking publicly? I mean, this isn't something that started when he left the band; it's always been true.

You would think so, but there are obviously some would rather have their right arm amputated before conceding even a minor point like that.

Yep, and that is what is unfortunate about his tendencies to lash out and be a drama queen, because he really does go out of his way to do things that he thinks fans will like, and he definitely knows how to get a fan base excited about an album or a live show. 

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1595 on: July 07, 2017, 09:15:29 PM »
Why is it so hard for some of you to concede that you don't know everything and that you don't have complete information?   

You did it again.

Incomplete information isn't relevant at all.  MP is representing himself to be a complete jerk since he left.  Who cares what's behind the scenes or what's *really* going on?  If someone is acting like an abusive jerk at every opportunity then how is Joe Public supposed to think he's anything but that no matter what the circumstances are?

No, that's a bunch of crap.  He is being criticized for what he has said/done publicly, and that is fair game.  And many of those same people are also praising him or have praised him for what he has said/done publicly that is good.  Your "team Mike" membership card is blinding you to the facts.

Exactly the point I'm trying to make also.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1596 on: July 07, 2017, 11:56:19 PM »

I suppose we look for different things in front men.  I've never seen Bono or Freddie Mercury, but as for the rest, I'd only maaaayyyyyybe have conceded Bruce Dickinson but I also think CB was 100% right when he said:
"IMO a great frontman is a singer who is perfect for the band he's in. I really don't think that, for example, Bruce Dickinson would be a great frontman for DT. The band wouldn't be a unit on stage, JP, JR and JM would totally be pushed into the background. That's not the way DT works. Also, I always have the feeling that JLB is totally reflecting the meaning and the mood of the songs with his voice, that's the most important thing for me anyway."

James would look ridiculous if he tried to act like Bruce Dickinson.  I do think he is perfect for DT.  Knows when to get off the stage, has crowd participation at the right times in DT's music, knows how to get a response from the audience.  Always thought he was good, but he stepped it up even more on the last few tours, especially TA.

Back to your original question - I suggest not watching much of the videos and in the heat of the moment Ross will probably sound fine at the show. Plus MP will be there being MP and if you don't quite like the vocals you can focus you're attention elsewhere.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1597 on: July 08, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »

https://youtu.be/EqJvGNegbag

Sorry to add fuel to the fire but this is a very telling interview with MP. Says he originally offered to do this tour with the guys at DT he's still friends with, his relationship with DT and his obvious anger that they're playing a change of seasons.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: July 08, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJvGNegbag&feature=youtu.be

Sorry to add fuel to the fire but this is a very telling interview with MP. Says he originally offered to do this tour with the guys at DT he's still friends with, his relationship with DT and his obvious anger that they're playing a change of seasons.

I think he offered the Cruise to the Edge gig to JP, JM and JR not the full tour.

As for the interview I think he bit his tounge a few times but stayed classy. Good interview.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1599 on: July 08, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EqJvGNegbag&feature=youtu.be

I think he offered the Cruise to the Edge gig to JP, JM and JR not the full tour.

As for the interview I think he bit his tounge a few times but stayed classy. Good interview.

Indeed but it was very obvious over a change of seasons you can tell he wasn't happy about it  but yes other than that handled himself well

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1600 on: July 08, 2017, 11:43:26 AM »
I think if he decided to do ACOS anyway, the only comparison would have been the vocals, to which I'm sure James would have gotten some not so good opinions about him.

Also, I think he may only be friends with JP and JR at this point. He and James aren't cool for obvious reasons, but I don't think he and JM have any beef, and it's probably more of the fact that JM is so introverted that he just never decided to stay in touch. I mean, how much did they actually talk to each other during the 25 years they were together?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1601 on: July 08, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
Anyone else think MP should play a song from DT12 or TA?

I just wonder how everyone would react.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1602 on: July 08, 2017, 11:48:43 AM »
Anyone else think MP should play a song from DT12 or TA?

I just wonder how everyone would react.

"Act of Faythe" with MP on vocals doing death growls.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1603 on: July 08, 2017, 11:51:09 AM »
MUH MUUUUSIIIIC PLAAAAAAAYAAAAHHHHHHAHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: July 08, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »

Solid interview and cool footage, maybe that is what the cameras are for.  Looking forward to parts 2 and 3  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1605 on: July 08, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
ROCKHOK is a really bad name, though.  Say it fast.  :lol :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1606 on: July 08, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
I think if he decided to do ACOS anyway, the only comparison would have been the vocals, to which I'm sure James would have gotten some not so good opinions about him.

Also, I think he may only be friends with JP and JR at this point. He and James aren't cool for obvious reasons, but I don't think he and JM have any beef, and it's probably more of the fact that JM is so introverted that he just never decided to stay in touch. I mean, how much did they actually talk to each other during the 25 years they were together?

MP actually explicitly said on FB that he has been on good terms with 3 of the 4 members of DT that he left behind, so I think he's mended any wounds he opened with JM over the years, if there were any at all.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1607 on: July 08, 2017, 02:14:43 PM »

MP actually explicitly said on FB that he has been on good terms with 3 of the 4 members of DT that he left behind, so I think he's mended any wounds he opened with JM over the years, if there were any at all.

-Marc.

That's good to hear.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1608 on: July 08, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »

-Marc.

That's good to hear.

Yes I noticed that was odd. The Facebook post was done just before the tour started but this interview was done after the Tilberg show.... so what happened? suddenly beef with someone in a few days or MP just mistyping or mis counting

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1609 on: July 08, 2017, 02:45:12 PM »
I've been guilty of using couple and few improperly, although I try not to. It could be the same for MP.