Poll

Does Splent take too long

Yes, he needs to listen more and stop procrastinating even though he's busy as fuck
5 (41.7%)
Yes, but I understand his life is crazy right now so I'll let it slide for now
4 (33.3%)
No, don't worry about it, you're doing fine
0 (0%)
No, in fact you can slow down a bit and it'll still be ok
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.11 - R10 RESULTS!! FINAL ROUND COMMENCING  (Read 89777 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.2 - ROUND 2 (Results in hours)
« Reply #595 on: May 12, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
We are on Daylight Savings time, so we are an hour ahead now.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #596 on: May 12, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
The way American timezones work is if someone says they will do something Thursday, it will be Friday morning, if not afternoon/evening in my world before it happens. Results are there when they’re there.

found a nice hole that should cockblock many
You’re doing it wrong.  :millahhhh

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #597 on: May 12, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »
It's 11:45 and I have one more write up to do.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #598 on: May 12, 2016, 10:48:47 AM »
for a 20 minute song? :P

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #599 on: May 12, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
Wow, people.  Impatient much?  Settle down.  It will be soon.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #600 on: May 12, 2016, 10:52:16 AM »
Wow, people.  Impatient much?

Well, yes.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #601 on: May 12, 2016, 10:53:27 AM »
Scorpion - Grayceon - War’s End 6.5/10 +1 = 7.5/10
Sorry, this really didn’t do it for me. There were some good things; I liked the use of the cello, and the vocalist (who was VASTLY underused in this song) reminded me of Christine McVie, one of my favorite female rock vocalists. I wish she sang more. The rest of the song just really feels like it doesn’t go anywhere because it’s so slow. It almost has a western/Hawaiian feel with that… I don’t know, is it a lap guitar? But because it was soooooo slooooow I just never really got in the groove of it. There was no buildup, there was no climax, it was just… there; even when the other singer enters the last part of the song it just felt like I was wandering in fog.

Elite - Leprous-Forced Entry 7/10 +1= 8/10
This was almost a little too heavy/harsh for me. The musicianship and crispness of everything is really evident here, and I enjoyed the instrumentation, but the yelling throughout the last section of the song was really grating and I didn’t really enjoy it at all. There are parts of the song as well where I feel everyone is trying to do too much at once and the song suffers because of it. When everyone tries to play as fast as they can, as a musician I’m like whoa but as a listener I’m like no. When the singer sings clean though, his voice does really fit the sound of the song. There are parts of the song I really enjoyed and reminded me a little of Frost*. I think it was Tomislav who said he almost sent this band but then decided against it because he didn’t think I would like it. I didn’t mind it, but it didn’t really catch me like others did this round.

Fluffy - Damien Rice-Colour Me In 7.5/10
This was a nice ballad, but I felt it dragged a LOT initially. The ending is gorgeous though. Sometimes these “powerful” ballads really make an impact on me, but this was really didn’t so much. The held back singing really didn’t build up until the last third of the song, so it never really drew me in. However, that ending is solid, and I wish he would have built up the energy a little more throughout the song to keep my interest.

425- Iron Maiden - Where the Wild Wind Blows (live) 8/10
This song wasn’t bad but I saw a LOT of the others questioning why you sent this song and not others. I did read that you said it was more “proggy” maiden, but I didn’t really hear anything proggy about it. It was straightforward balls to the wall metal, like I expect from Maiden. OK, I realize the lyrics are a little more conceptual, and I’m sure the live show was just awesome, because Maiden is one of those bands that can make even the most casual fan love them. And I hope to sound half as good as Bruce Dickenson in 20 years. I did enjoy it, and would like to hear more, but compared to some of the other songs in this batch, it was on the weaker end in my opinion.

Train of Naught - The Dear Hunter - Shame 8/10+1= 9/10
I have heard a little bit of The Dear Hunter before, but haven’t really had time to dive into his discography, and that said, this piece was kind of a mysterious quirky thing I would expect from him. It didn’t grab me as much as the other TDH stuff I’ve heard, but there’s some good stuff in it. His vocals are really good. It is a little repetitive, but it’s not too bad. While this wasn’t the strongest track sent this round, this does show me that I need to listen to more of his music.

Lonestar - Beyond the Bridge- The Difference is Human 8.5/10+1 = 9.5/10
This band was sent in the championship and I wasn’t blown away by them. I wasn’t again, but I liked this song a little better. It just feels rushed. It feels like they crammed an epic’s worth of stuff into 7 minutes. Granted, what I heard was great, but just as I was getting into one section, they’d abruptly transition into the next section of the song, so I never had any idea where the song was going. It went full circle, using the beginning thematic material at the end, which I did like, but I felt like the song would have been more impactful a bit longer with smoother transitions. I REALLY liked the vocalists; they were solid and worked VERY well together.

Evermind - Kamelot - Abandoned 8.5/10+1=9.5/10
I had a friend give me a ton of Kamelot albums on an mp3 CD-R about 10 years ago and I really never listened to any of it. Maybe I should’ve. This song was nice. It didn’t blow me away, but it was a solid power metal ballad, and it was well done. Sometimes the ballads can seem a little fake or affected, but this one worked beautifully. The piano opening with the strings was beautiful. It built up appropriately emotionally as well as volume-wise, maintaining that tender feeling throughout. I’m putting this band on the back burner with future listens.

Sacul - David Maxim Micic - Where is Now 8.5/10+1=9.5/10
Where to begin with this. I have no idea how to classifly it. It starts off as straightforward prog metal, quietly crecendoing (over some spoken vocals I could barely hear, which kind of bugged me… was this on purpose or a mixing issue?), kind of a wall of sound vibe, that sometimes can tend to get a little loud. I like the mix of the instrumentation (strings especially) and the vocals. It’s really nice with the slow vocals and the fast beat… and then halfway through it completely changes and you get some really loud scat singing… so now is it jazz? The guitar playing was a little weird, with kind staccato shredding, which sounded a little clunky. It worked overall, as I enjoyed it, there were just a few things here and there that I was like “Wut”.

Jingle.boy - Star One - Cassandra Complex 8.5/10+1=9.5/10
Why am I not surprised this was Arjen Lucassen. Space prog metal. Should’ve known. :lol This was heavier and louder than a lot of Ayreon is. It’s very well done, but it kind of sounds like I need to hear it in the context of the whole album (as is the case with pretty much everything he does). The synths at the beginning were kind of weird (I have a feeling it was some transitional type material from the previous track). That said, it’s well done, I enjoyed it, but it’s so loud the entire time that it doesn’t really go anywhere (how can you get louder than loud), so it didn’t grab me as others did this round, but this is definitely something I want to check out in the future.

Tyrias - Susanne Sundfør- Memorial 9/10+1=10/10
This piece is very unique. I really didn’t know what to expect with this new agey ethereal sound that I heard from her; it was nice. What makes it stand apart is the extended instrumental section. I really enjoyed this. It almost sounded like it was two songs spliced together, and the 2nd part was almost like a concerto with the string section backing up the piano. Lots of different classical influences here, especially Chopin. She has a really hauntingly beautiful voice which works perfectly with this type of song.

Parama- Casualties of Cool - Moon 9/10+1=10/10
You were very specific in your listening instructions (LISTEN TO THIS VERSION THAT I SENT YOU NOT YOUTUBE NOT SPOTIFY BECAUSE THIS VERSION MUST BE LISTENED TO) but I’m glad I followed your directions. It has a rhythmic ostinato that repeats throughout the entire piece, but it really works here and drives it. The piece reminds me of some Sting I’ve heard, with that almost tribal or native sound that he’s worked into some of his music. That sax that comes in the 2nd half of the song is really unexpected but works really well, almost like an effective 80s dream ballad (NOT a cheesy one). Well done.

TAC- Marco Sfogli - Still Hurts 9/10+1=10/10
The mood of this song doesn’t fit the title. It’s upbeat and happy, and yet it “Still Hurts”? I don’t get it. This is fun, solid, instrumental prog. I really like some of the fun things he does with the guitar throughout the song. Nothing amazing really stood out to me, but the track was fun and enjoyable which is why I rated it this high. One of the more solid instrumentals I’ve heard in a while.

Tomislav95 - Redemption - Black and White World 9/10 +1=10/10
This had me hooked from the piano riff at the beginning... I heard 2+2+3 and I'm like yeessssssss.... This was solid technical prog metal. Truth be told, I've heard of them before, but I haven't gone out to get an album let alone listen to them since I heard them open for DT during the SC tour, so I thought accepting them would be fine. :lol I understand now that I need to listen to them more. Nothing really stood out other than the time signature changes (yesssss again) and the quiet section near the end, as well as how technically crisp the entire band sounded together.

Kingschmegland - This Day and Age - More of a Climb, Less than a Walk 9.5/10
You must really think you know my tastes because here’s another solid one you’ve sent me. I LOVE the beginning old school electric piano. Makes me feel all tingly inside. It’s a pretty straightforward song, but it’s so much fun and feel good and solidly well done that I’m sold. It fits the lyrics… almost has the air of a 70s soft rock song with a 10s alt rock or metal groove with it. Very enjoyable.

Bolsters - Gunship - Fly for your Life 9.5/10+1=10.5/10
This one grew on me. The first listen I was like what? And then every listen I enjoyed it exponentially more. This one was fun. I felt like I was in an 80s movie… I LOVE the 80s percussion (that chow chow sound). Solid 80s era synthpop revival sound that I love. The two vocalists work together pretty well here. To be honest, it was borderline in giving you the bonus, because the majority of them singing together is in the prechorus and chorus, but there is a little bit more beyond that, so I accepted it. Well done, I had a feeling you would send something like this sooner than later.

Big Hath - Thank You Scientist-Suspicious Waveforms 10/10+1=11/10
Oh. My. God. You have shown me the light. This song was FUN. Absolutely perfect. It has everything I love about music in one place. Rock, Jazz, Prog… It’s jazz fusion meets prog rock. Absoultely amazing. And Parama thinks it’s the weakest song on the album!? I need to hear the rest of it. I probably will as I wait for submissions. Thank you. Seriously. I mean it. There’s not enough good fusion around right now. I started to listen to the rest of the album and am impressed. This band is awesome and I hope they go on tour soon (and for cheap because I really can’t afford it right now).

Scorpion: 16
Train of Naught: 16.5
Elite: 16.5
Fluffy: 16.5
Tomislav: 18
425: 18
TAC: 18
Jingle.boy: 18
Lonestar: 18.5
Sacul: 19
Tyrias: 19
Kingschmegland: 19.5
Evermind: 19.5
Parama: 19.5
Bolsters: 20
Big Hath: 21.5
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 11:07:57 AM by splent »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #602 on: May 12, 2016, 10:55:26 AM »
I'm just poking fun tbh, a lot of roulette hosts have been worse at get results out in a timely manner

also yay.
you might like suspicious waveforms the most tbh as far as I've read your tastes but to be fair the weakest song on a 5-star album is still gonna be pretty good  :lol

I saw TYS live with coheed last year and got a TYS shirt and it's rad

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.2 - ROUND 2 RESULTS!!!!
« Reply #603 on: May 12, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
Totally fine with this.

Now, going the cockblock route and grabbing the third and the last bonus while I can.

Offline Tomislav95

Sorry, but you forgot writeup for my song :sadpanda:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

:rollin :rollin

Sent!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh wow.  :facepalm: Hold on...

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #607 on: May 12, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »
Oh. My. God. You have shown me the light. This song was FUN. Absolutely perfect. It has everything I love about music in one place. Rock, Jazz, Prog… It’s jazz fusion meets prog rock. Absoultely amazing. And Parama thinks it’s the weakest song on the album!? I need to hear the rest of it. I probably will as I wait for submissions. Thank you. Seriously. I mean it. There’s not enough good fusion around right now. I started to listen to the rest of the album and am impressed. This band is awesome and I hope they go on tour soon (and for cheap because I really can’t afford it right now).

It's funny.  I still haven't heard music from these guys.  But, what I did find out is that the lead singer, Salvatore, is the younger brother of some girls my sister and I grew up with.  One of his sisters posted something sentimental on Facebook a while back thanking her "rock star brother".  I said "huh" and looked into it some more.  That's how I found out about them.  I'll have to check out the album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
WOOT!

And round three was already sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Tomislav95

I'm glad you liked Redemption :tup I recommend album Snowfall on Judgement Day.
Sending something right now.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Crap. It appears I am losing.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Not as badly as I am.

That song is a masterpiece, people just suck. :\
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
we're all going to lose come round 4 so it's ok

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah, I've got an awesome song for Round 4. It's just splent probably won't like it, but it's still awesome.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

I had a feeling that wouldn't go down as well as I thought when I sent it. Which is funny, because I originally planned on sending something totally different, as I said, to milk a bonus point, and changed at the last moment.

Offline Tomislav95

I said I was confident about my song for round 4 but I'm slowly losing it :lol I'm not sure should I send "real" song with beginning and end or sort of interlude song (it's beautiful interlude but still).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'll take it.

Sending something horny.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Dang, middle of the road score is not gonna cut it with my current position, I need a miracle.

Got a really good round 4 song planned but I don't know if splent agrees with me. :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Not as badly as I am.

My wife enjoyed it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Not as badly as I am.

My wife enjoyed it.

I'm glad that she did, but couldn't she have also scored it? :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #620 on: May 12, 2016, 11:48:47 AM »
And Parama thinks it’s the weakest song on the album!?

Wasn't it him that also said Cassandra Complex was the worst song on the album?? 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
So, is two minutes a hard limit? I have a song of 02:07 and 02:04 I'm considering sending.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: May 12, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »
And Parama thinks it’s the weakest song on the album!?

Wasn't it him that also said Cassandra Complex was the worst song on the album??
I mean, it is, I can't stand that chorus tbh

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
So, is two minutes a hard limit? I have a song of 02:07 and 02:04 I'm considering sending.

If there are a couple of seconds of silence that cause it to go over 2 minutes that's one thing, but I'm keeping that round pretty strict about 2 minutes music wise.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah Rich, just suck it up and find a proper less-than-two-minutes song. :biggrin:

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Not as badly as I am.

My wife enjoyed it.

I'm glad that she did, but couldn't she have also scored it? :P

Well this is how I felt in Sacul's Roulette

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
And that's how you scored on it, since I have no wife :P

Offline Tyrias

Yup, I can live with a 9. Now what to send for the 2nd bonus point?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
And that's how you scored on it, since I have no wife :P

:lol. It's not the wife aspect he's pointing at.  It's when you think you send a killer tune and it's not accepted like you, the sender feels.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
When I do my roulette, I'm going to have a wife so she can be my back-up scorer
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.