Poll

Does Splent take too long

Yes, he needs to listen more and stop procrastinating even though he's busy as fuck
5 (41.7%)
Yes, but I understand his life is crazy right now so I'll let it slide for now
4 (33.3%)
No, don't worry about it, you're doing fine
0 (0%)
No, in fact you can slow down a bit and it'll still be ok
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Splent's Controversial Roulette v.1.0.11 - R10 RESULTS!! FINAL ROUND COMMENCING  (Read 89620 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.1 - ROUND 1! (Tidbits)
« Reply #350 on: May 04, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »
That's ok Elite. Bexrise it's hkklo dtfppy ne.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #351 on: May 04, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »
to this day, i have never figured out what exactly that title was supposed to be

hello dtf happy new

???

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #352 on: May 04, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »
to this day, i have never figured out what exactly that title was supposed to be

hello dtf happy new

???

It was supposed to be happy new year dtf I'm pretty sure. It was a New Years post.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.1 - ROUND 1! (Listening)
« Reply #353 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:10 PM »
Genre: Modern electronic dance rhythms fused with traditional Irish and West African music.
That sounds really interesting actually :lol
If your curiosity is piqued, just don't listen to that new album. :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.1 - ROUND 1! (Results imminent)
« Reply #354 on: May 05, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
Results will be up within 90 minutes. I have to teach one class and then I have two more songs to finish writing up. Scores are tabulated, just need to create the chart.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #355 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »
ready for results to ruin my entire work day  :tup

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #356 on: May 05, 2016, 09:56:59 AM »
I'll check back in the morning.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.2 - ROUND 1 RESULTS... ROUND 2 OPEN
« Reply #357 on: May 05, 2016, 10:38:25 AM »
Elite- Ulver - Tomorrow Never Knows 7.5/10 +1 = 8.5/10
When I first saw the title I thought it was going to be a cover of The Beatles but it’s not at all. Glitchy, with some harsh noise thrown in. I can never really tell what direction the song goes in… it’s repetitive and yet it isn’t, but the change is so subtle that it’s almost hard to tell. The grinding beat is very enjoyable, but the evolution of the song is rather slow and then each transition is rather clunky. I like the ambient sound of the last 2 minutes very much, even with the glitchy sounds. However, again, it gets very repetitive.

Train of Naught - Closure in Moscow - Happy Days 7.5/10
This song is just straightforward rock… it sounds like the Black Crowes or something. It’s high energy, pumped up, balls to the wall of sound rock. However, I just couldn’t really get into this song. I don’t know what it is… it does go on and on and doesn’t really go anywhere directionwise from what I could hear. It was like LOUD LOUD LOUD WE CAN’T GET LOUDER LETS JUST STAY HERE AND RAWWWWK. I don’t mind that but it gets old a little fast for me. I dare to bet this song would bring down the house live, though.

TAC - Theocracy- Bethehem 8/10
What is this, Christian power metal that’s not Stryper? Wow. I actually like this and would like to explore their catalog a little bit more. Now I can add this to my metal Christmas playlist. That said, while I do like the sound, it gets very repetitive the 2nd half of the song, with the band singing the chorus about 5 times. The key change with chorus repeat makes it sound slightly praise and worshippy, which is what turned me off of Christian music over a decade ago. I like the added countermelodies, but it still feels like they are singing the same thing over and over and over again. Still, it works for what it is and isn’t unenjoyable. Good solid effort.

Tomislav - Wishbone Ash-The King Will Come 8/10
We need more of this 70s sound in today’s rock. There are elements of so many bands I enjoy in this… Deep Purple especially. It gets a little repetitive, but there is some evolution there as the song goes on, especially in the B section and a great classic guitar solo. However, I feel the middle section drags on following that… just this quiet section that repeats for like a minute without anything going on. And doesn’t really build up or go anywhere, and then all of a sudden here’s the recap. Overall a pretty solid song though.

Fluffy - John Butler Trio-Ocean (Live at Red Rocks) 8/10 + 1 = 9/10
The first time I heard this I was impressed but it just seemed to drag on and on without much change, but it grew on me a little bit. I do like acoustic guitar music. I think that Ocean is a good title for the piece, as it does ebb and flow like the ocean waves. The 2nd half of the song speeds up and adds extra energy, but I just lost interest after a while. The electric guitar finally comes in with about 3 minutes to go to the song, and I’m like THERE it is.. Because I only heard a tiny little bit of electric and drums up to that point. That said, I do enjoy it, but it probably could have been 3 minutes shorter and had more of an impact on me.

jingle.boy - Threshold-Clear 8.5/10
A nice solid metal ballad. I really like the vocalist, has that tight bright powerful Dio-seque metal sound. I really don’t have anything critical to say about it except that it doesn’t really go anywhere. It sounds like he sings the same thing 3-4 times, which he does, but the song doesn’t build up or change keys or anything. It’s just there. That said, I do want to check out more from this band. I really like the singer and hope that his sound carries over to other tunes they do.

Parama - Julia Holter - Silhouette 8.5/10 +1 = 9.5/10
This is kind of mysterious spacey ethereal almost synthy… the end of the song almost sounds Enya-esque, without the 4 billion overdubs. The calm laid back sound sometimes can be overplayed in todays music, but it works very effectively here. I actually really liked this song, it’s in a similar vein to the two Portishead songs that were submitted. I love the strings that are behind it, although initially I didn’t know if it was strings or a pad sound… then I heard the violin and I’m like oh. Pads WITH strings do make it a little difficult to tell sometimes. I wish the ending wasn’t so abrupt though.

Sacul - Portishead - Roads 8.5/10 +1=9.5/10
Mysterious vocals are the clincher for me. The ambient music background gives me a picture of a dark room with the singer in it… It doesn’t really go anywhere for a while, just has a mysterious vibe to it that I enjoy… until the middle string section. That is just BEAUTIFUL, and upon my last listen added a half point on to it. It goes back to that mysterious vibe following it, and it’s really effective. Nice song.

Scorpion - Portishead - Glory Box 8.5/10
This sounds like this could be sung in a smoky lounge. I love the quality of the singer here. The song has that soul sound that I REALLY dig especially in this soul-revitalized type of pop that’s been popping up the last few years or so. This has an old-school sound to it with the crackling LP-type filter that the music goes through. The edgy chorus does not overpower anything, showing the angst and anger the singer has, when finally cutting out so we can hear “I just wanna be a woman”. Even though the backing track repeats throughout the piece, it doesn’t drag on and become repetitive, showing it’s effectiveness. The song fades out, but it’s almost like the song and emotions go full circle here, so it works.

Bolsters - Afro Celt Sound System -Deep Channel 8.5/10 +1=9.5/10
Nice blend of electronic music and Celtic music that I really enjoy and makes me wish I sent you something different in your roulette. There are times (especially near the end) where it almost sounds New Agey as well. One thing I really don’t like is how abrupt it ends… it doesn’t slow down, it’s just like OK, we’re done. I felt like the ending could have been smoother. However, nice track.

425 - Nightwish - Ghost Love Score (Live) 9/10 +1=10/10
I’ve heard Nightwish before but it’s been years and I don’t remember anything specific other than there was a female singer and many of the songs sounded very similar. However, I must have not been paying attention. The beginning almost sounds 80s in it’s chord progressions and sounds and evolves to this powerful climax. Sometimes I think that the female singers in symphonic metal bands can sound somewhat affected singing in their head voice (this may be etched in my mind after seeing a pretty bad one that opened up for Symphony X about 10 years ago)... but this singer has a POWERFUL chest voice that really comes out when she belts those higher notes near the end.

Tyrias - Anathema-Untouchable Pt. 1 9/10
Well once this is over I’ll check out Pt. 2 and beyond. I really like the intro. The voices in the chorus are awesome. Even though the thematic background material repeats throughout the entire song (or so it seems) it fits very well within the aspect of the song and I really don’t feel like it’s dragged out. The slow build up (addition of drums, additional vocals, additional melodies, builds up to a wonderful climax, and then slowly dies away with some beautiful strings. Me likey.

Lonestar- Voices from the Fuselage - Meteorites 9/10
Starts off nice and calm and then BAM. There’s some djent sound in this that I really enjoy. I really like the vocalist in this one as well, his voice is very clean and powerful, and it works very well in this type of song. The song flows well, evolves well, and I like how it switches from an ethereal ambient like sound to the heavier sound quite often. The song can be slightly repetitive, but it’s not so much where it takes away from the song. I would like to hear more.

Evermind - Jon Lord- Pictured Within 9/10 +1= 10/10
Totally expected this type of song from you. What a beautiful solid ballad. The B section of the section is particularly powerful, and then when he sings “At the rain” and those arpeggiated chords come down as if it’s raining… and then the cello solo!!! And the French Horn solo with orchestra… I wonder if there is a choral arrangement of this, because it’s particularly beautiful. Or was this the closing credits song to a movie? The ending is very non-traditional. I love it.

Big Hath - Tower of Power - Squib Cakes 9.5/10 +1 = 10.5/10
How have I not heard of this band? It’s like Chicago meets Sly and the Family Stone meets Deep Purple. Love this 70s brass ensemble stuff so much and wish there were more of it today. I could totlaly picture my brother in law, who is a reknowned trombonist, playing in a band like this after he retires from teaching this year. This is great, and I need to check out more of their stuff when this is over.

Kingshmegland - Haken - 1985 10/10
I love the 80s feel of this song so much. Modern music with the old school sounds. The electronic drums are so great here. I feel like if Mr. Mister was a prog metal band this could be what they sounded like. This was overall my favorite song of the round, and I’m DEFINITELY diving into some more Haken after this roulette is done. I’ve been avoiding the Haken thread but may have to check it out and ask for some more suggestions upon where to start. Or I could just ask you :lol

Train of Naught - 7.5
TAC - 8
Tomislav95 - 8
Elite - 8.5
Scopion - 8.5
Jingle.boy - 8.5
Fluffy - 9
Lonestar - 9
Tyrias - 9
Parama - 9.5
Sacul - 9.5
Bolsters - 9.5
425 - 10
Evermind - 10
Kingshmegland - 10
Big Hath - 10.5
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:31:59 PM by splent »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Splent's First Roulette v.1.0.2 - ROUND 1 RESULTS, ROUND 2 OPEN
« Reply #358 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Good to see some well-deserved love for this Jon Lord song. Absolutely beautiful tune.

Evermind - Jon Lord- Pictured Within 9/10 +1= 10/10
Or was this the closing credits song to a movie?

No, this is just a legit song from a legit album, nothing movie-oriented.

I'm going to buy this Haken album on Sunday if the record store has it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #359 on: May 05, 2016, 11:07:43 AM »
I'm pretty damn sure those are real strings, since there are credited string players for the album, but  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #360 on: May 05, 2016, 11:23:21 AM »
So a couple of observations:

If it's Damian Wilson's voice you like from Threshold, he's only on 3 albums - this one, and their two most recent - For the Journey and March of Progress.

For Nightwish, the current vocalist is Floor Jansen... if you heard NW years ago, it was probably either Annette or Tarja.  Bear that in mind as you explore.  Tarja is more operatic; Annette is more melodic; Floor combines the best of both, and adds so much powah!!!

Any chance you'll disclose which bonus point the songs earned, because if you're giving Ghost Love Score the string/symphony bonus, then you've opened the door to 'synthetic' strings, because that was not a real orchestra.... despite the fact that it's a god-tier song.

Tough competition when an 8.5 lands in the bottom 1/2.

Guess I need to grab those bonus points while I can.  No sense in hanging on to them for later, lest I find a boot up my ass in three rounds.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #361 on: May 05, 2016, 11:56:09 AM »
Great songs Scorp and Tyrias  :tup

Btw, are all of these bands banned now? :P

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #362 on: May 05, 2016, 12:24:02 PM »
I think I'm putting Happy Days on a break for now :lol doesn't seem to do too well anymore. Guess I'm going with some less "loud" stuff, just sent my strings song an hour ago or so!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #363 on: May 05, 2016, 12:26:40 PM »

Yes they are banned.

Any chance you'll disclose which bonus point the songs earned, because if you're giving Ghost Love Score the string/symphony bonus, then you've opened the door to 'synthetic' strings, because that was not a real orchestra.... despite the fact that it's a god-tier song.

Yes I will do that. I'll post that this afternoon. I'll tell you now that Ghost Love Score received the strings bonus, and I looked it up. It is by the London Symphony Orchestra. Even though it's live, they use the actual orchestral recording (and I can tell, those french horns are legit), so I accepted that.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: May 05, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »

Yes they are banned.

Yes I will do that. I'll post that this afternoon. I'll tell you now that Ghost Love Score received the strings bonus, and I looked it up. It is by the London Symphony Orchestra. Even though it's live, they use the actual orchestral recording (and I can tell, those french horns are legit), so I accepted that.

Ok... I gotchya.  I knew he used LSO for the last album, but didn't know he programmed them for the tour where all the good GLS recordings come from.  I just figured because Tuomas is playing all that orchestral stuff on his keyboards, that it's sampled stuff.  Well, I'll never know what's real and what's not then (except in the case of live concerts with real orchestras - eg, Score), so I'm gonna struggle to hit that bonus category.  Might just go with the funky time signature, because even though I don't know what the exact time signature is, I can sure tell when it gets all wonky.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #365 on: May 05, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
Woot!  Spence,  this album have the 80'same vibe.  Other albums do not. Try their last album still called The Mountain.

Also, already sent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
I just really want/probably need that bonus point  :\

Offline 425

« Reply #367 on: May 05, 2016, 01:22:48 PM »

Ok... I gotchya.  I knew he used LSO for the last album, but didn't know he programmed them for the tour where all the good GLS recordings come from.  I just figured because Tuomas is playing all that orchestral stuff on his keyboards, that it's sampled stuff.  Well, I'll never know what's real and what's not then (except in the case of live concerts with real orchestras - eg, Score), so I'm gonna struggle to hit that bonus category.  Might just go with the funky time signature, because even though I don't know what the exact time signature is, I can sure tell when it gets all wonky.

There is definitely a backing track featuring the actual LSO parts. Tuomas is also playing stuff, but there's definitely a backing track, too. You can hear it especially during the symphonic break.

Just to be clear, the version I sent was Ghost Love Floor from the main track sequence of Showtime, Storytime.

Happy to see you liked it so well, splent! About to send for round 2.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #368 on: May 05, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
If I want bonus points I need to say it when sending song or? Sorry, I'm little lost :D
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: May 05, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
@ 425... should've sent Argentina.  I like that version better.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: May 05, 2016, 01:35:00 PM »
Also, check out T.O.P. from Tower Of Power. That is an amazing album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 425

« Reply #371 on: May 05, 2016, 01:36:06 PM »
@ 425... should've sent Argentina.  I like that version better.

I do too, but it's not on Spotify, and I wanted to make it as easy as possible for splent to listen. I think the differences between those performances are noticeable but only if you're already familiar with the song, and probably not so significant that they'll affect how much a first-time listener likes the song.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: May 05, 2016, 02:09:19 PM »
Also, check out T.O.P. from Tower Of Power. That is an amazing album.

alright so for Tower I would recommend the big 3 albums of Tower of Power, Back To Oakland, and Urban Renewal from the 1970s.  Squib Cakes is from Back To Oakland.  Those three are their classic albums that have a sound very much like Squib Cakes.  Also check out the fabulous live album Live And In Living Color.

For more recent output, the previously mentioned T.O.P. is a fantastic album as well as 40th Anniversary Live which gives you a sample from all their various incarnations.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: May 05, 2016, 02:15:33 PM »
If I want bonus points I need to say it when sending song or? Sorry, I'm little lost :D

Yes. Tell me when you send the song. "I want this song to use the _____ bonus point"

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #374 on: May 05, 2016, 02:17:09 PM »
Bolsters - World Music
Elite - Instrumental
Fluffy - Instrumental
Big Hath - Brass
Sacul - Strings
425 - Strings
Evermind - Strings

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #375 on: May 05, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »
As soon as you heard my song can you let me know here or in PM if it counts for the bonus? May not want to send it if it doesn't and I dont know exactly how prominent the strings have to be.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #376 on: May 05, 2016, 02:27:01 PM »
Can't complain about a 9/10, though competition seems to be really strong (or your scoring is really nice ::)).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: May 05, 2016, 02:28:42 PM »
Maybe someone could send a sucky song so Splent can appease the masses with a score of 4.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #378 on: May 05, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »
Maybe someone could send a sucky song so Splent can appease the masses with a score of 4.

I'll do my best not to be that guy.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #379 on: May 05, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »
Wait for round 4 :P

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #380 on: May 05, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »
And sent round 2, for the string bonus point. I'm certain this won't be one of those cases where you're not sure if it's real strings or not and have to look it up.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #381 on: May 05, 2016, 02:45:07 PM »
Sent.

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #382 on: May 05, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
One question for further rounds: Do you mind spoken vocal parts?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: May 05, 2016, 02:50:00 PM »

I know.  I've been looking at my list.  I have quite a few but they are mostly just average songs.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #384 on: May 05, 2016, 03:04:16 PM »

I know.  I've been looking at my list.  I have quite a few but they are mostly just average songs.
I've just been browsing my songs to find short song and I found something I'm sure no one will send and I'm pretty confident about it. Short and sweet.
But let's go back to round 2... I'm hypocrite for sending the song I sent :sad: because I said I won't send artists anyone could easily find here on DTF. But I did, too good to pass :D