Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread  (Read 394601 times)

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread
« Reply #7735 on: November 20, 2016, 04:16:42 PM »
Evening guys

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7736 on: November 20, 2016, 04:19:18 PM »
Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #7737 on: November 20, 2016, 08:02:53 PM »
What's up, guys?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7738 on: November 21, 2016, 05:57:13 AM »
Morning everyone

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #7739 on: November 21, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »
Morning Reaper!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #7740 on: November 21, 2016, 06:41:36 AM »
Morning.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7741 on: November 21, 2016, 07:09:47 AM »
Morning, peeps.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #7742 on: November 21, 2016, 07:17:54 AM »
Morning Gents.  And Zydar, Blob ect....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7743 on: November 21, 2016, 07:17:59 AM »
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7744 on: November 21, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7745 on: November 21, 2016, 07:21:17 AM »
I admit I have a sweet tooth but I never liked Peeps.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7746 on: November 21, 2016, 07:24:55 AM »
I admit I have a sweet tooth but I never liked Peeps.
Me neither.  They are creepy.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7747 on: November 21, 2016, 07:28:24 AM »
I've never understood the fascination with them. Then again, my predilection has always been towards savory foods rather than sweets.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7748 on: November 21, 2016, 07:29:16 AM »
That and candy corn.  My wife loves them.  I do not.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7749 on: November 21, 2016, 07:46:26 AM »
Morning gang. Today is my last day at my job here in St. Pete. I'll be driving again to charlotte tomorrow.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7750 on: November 21, 2016, 07:52:52 AM »
How you feeling Reap?!  A little nervous? 

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7751 on: November 21, 2016, 08:00:56 AM »
Dug out all my old shit at my dad's place yesterday and put everything I cared about in storage. He's so keen to purge all of our belongings from his house that he tore down a poster of mine in front of me, as if to try to get a reaction from me. Since it was not a piece I cared about, I didn't react at all. I'm done with it now, everything of value that was there is now in my own possession, despite thinking my old bedroom that is not at all in use was a safe haven for it until now. The only reason I have to go back to that house now is to help my sister do the same with her stuff - she just has about 4 times as much stuff still there as I did.

It's fairly telling when you go to your father's house where you grew up and the dog treats you more warmly and with more affection than your father.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7752 on: November 21, 2016, 08:03:24 AM »
That sucks man.  I know you cherish your 2 kids even more since what you went through.  My mom had similar issues.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7753 on: November 21, 2016, 08:15:11 AM »
Well he really had it out with my sister when she went and he tried to bitch abouther to me and I just told him I'm not involved with that. I will go back on Friday, most likely, to help her get the rest of her stuff out.

Since I had no help yesterday and was loading a lot of shit into our van, I wrenched my back. While I didn't unload my bedroom furniture, I did take a custom CD shelf I built myself, and carrying that down the front steps in the hellacious wind we're having fucked me up; torqued a muscle and had a ton of spasms yesterday and last night. Still sore, but thankfully some stretching and ibuprofen have helped ease the discomfort.

Lately I've been pondering the possibility that my father us actually on the spectrum somewhat. I am in no way qualified to make that determination, but his actions seem to be becoming more and more odd. Ever since my mother left him, his filter has completely vanished (there never really was much of one) and his views on life, his priorities, everything has become skewed towards the irrational. And emotionally, he has always struggled with any kind of raw emotion. Everything is calculated and logically determined; there is no inherent, emotional care and love. There always has to be some sort of reasoning behind why he feels anything. I really think this is just one more step to him becoming a shut-in as his body ages.

I am so conflicted - I am not the kind of person who can just cut someone out of my life, especially a parent. I tried once, and I couldn't do it emotionally. It ripped me apart inside. But he is doing everything he possibly can to erase any connection we have with him that it's becoming harder and harder to even try.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7754 on: November 21, 2016, 08:20:52 AM »
My wife had to cut out her parents for 10 years.  It was too toxic for her.  When they came back to her he set the parameters and told them, slip up and I'm done with you.  So she had the power now.  It's on her terms.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7755 on: November 21, 2016, 08:28:13 AM »
Other than threatening to throw out our possessions, he has no power over us anymore. And now that my stuff is out, he has none over me.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7756 on: November 21, 2016, 08:32:55 AM »
G'morning all. Sorry to hear about that unpleasantness Hyper :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7757 on: November 21, 2016, 08:35:09 AM »
It's all good. In my rearview, I just need to finish processing it.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7758 on: November 21, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
How you feeling Reap?!  A little nervous? 

Yea I am :lol. I'm starting work next Monday for a new company, a little bit more money and different hours. I'm excited but really bummed I"m leaving my team here. This is the first job where I really looked forward to going into work everyday but change is a part of life.

Hyper I'm really sorry for all the issues regarding your dad. My dad was similar in the sense that he had this weird moodiness that would pop up from time to time.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7759 on: November 21, 2016, 09:41:23 AM »
I cannot tell you how thankful I am that I have never had to deal with that kind of crap from my parents.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7760 on: November 21, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
My parents and wife had to deal with that stuff.  My parents were the best.  I will always be grateful for them.  I hope my nephews and nieces feel the same.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7761 on: November 21, 2016, 10:46:40 AM »
Yeah, I'll be 30 in April and I'm still at home while I finish the last of my student loans and save some for a condo down payment and I'm thankful that I have such a good relationship with them that my being home isn't a burden in either direction.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7762 on: November 21, 2016, 10:51:24 AM »
With my job, I see broken families every single day and its very sad to see.  Sometimes to the extreme.  I know some relationships are almost impossible to reconcile, but if you think there is a chance at repairing things, it's always worth a shot at your end.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7763 on: November 21, 2016, 11:07:23 AM »
My mom is so wonderful. She offsets my dad, and I'm extremely close with her.

When I was young, my dad vocalized he thought I was so much closer with my mother because of what he called an "Oedipal Urge." In reality, it's because she loved and respected me while he only gave a shit when it was convenient for him.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7764 on: November 21, 2016, 11:10:16 AM »
I was very close to my mom as well.  She sadly just passed away from breast cancer recently, but she was a wonderful woman.  That just makes you wish you spent even more time

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7765 on: November 21, 2016, 11:15:48 AM »
I'm sorry for your loss. It's always good to see my mom. I think of the things I appreciate so much from her is her treatment of me as an equal, within the parent/child dynamic. Not so much when growing up, obviously, but since entering adulthood, she has allowed me to share with her openly without judgment and we have a great two-way street of communication. She helps me tons but she also allows me to help her, if I'm able.

I admit I am not always the most patient person and I look back often at times I should have given her more of the benefit of the doubt, especially when dealing with my father and also, being a parent now, understanding the emotions that go with the role. I can look back on growing up and better understand her motivations that are lost on a kid. Doesn't mean I would do things exactly as she would, but I think I can safely say that anything my mom has ever done, even if the method was flawed or the actions at the time not being the most enjoyable, was done out of care, love, and compassion. She has a tendency to nag, but it comes from a good place in her heart, because she cares and genuinely thinks she is helping. Contrast that with my father, who would say or do things just to be an antagonist, or to further his own interests at the cost of whatever else got in the way.

Wow I'm good at bringing this thread down today. Lots going through my head, obviously. Sorry about that.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7766 on: November 21, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
My mom is so wonderful. She offsets my dad, and I'm extremely close with her.

When I was young, my dad vocalized he thought I was so much closer with my mother because of what he called an "Oedipal Urge." In reality, it's because she loved and respected me while he only gave a shit when it was convenient for him.

When I read about a parent saying that to a child no matter how old the child is, it shows that his thought process is all about him.  When you give back to family they will respond in kind.  He'll never get that.  Your mom does.

JJ, I'm so sorry for your loss.  I lost my mom 5 1/2 year ago.  There isn't a day that I'm not reminded of her.  She was kind, selfless and a beautiful person on the inside and the outside.  I miss her every day.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7767 on: November 21, 2016, 11:28:09 AM »
Thanks King. Yeah, there is a special bond with your mother that never ends.  Thats why when I see families being torn apart, it's sad to see.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7768 on: November 21, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
I see it a ton as a manager for a manual labor job.  It's sad to see parents not give a hoot.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7769 on: November 21, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »
Fucking A. It's snowing outside. The snow doesn't bother, but 84 is going to be a freaking parking lot driving home today. It snowed a few weeks ago and it took 2.5 hours to travel 35 miles. It accumulated to about .125".