Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread  (Read 390157 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread
« Reply #4305 on: July 29, 2016, 05:34:49 AM »
Hey Reap.  I finally got to use Wireshark at my job yesterday.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #4306 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:05 AM »
Good morning.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4307 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:13 AM »
Temps -- "I really need a job"

Me -- Show up on time every day and so improvement daily and I will hire you".

Temp -- Does not show up for work Friday. >:(

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4308 on: July 29, 2016, 06:33:46 AM »
I can't believe how often this crap keeps happening for you. It's a sad reflection on people in general.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4309 on: July 29, 2016, 06:36:01 AM »
It really is Blob.  You have an opportunity to have a job with great benefits but people are their own worst enemies.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4310 on: July 29, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »
I can't believe how often this crap keeps happening for you. It's a sad reflection on people in general.

What are you talking about?  You have the same work ethic.   :lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4311 on: July 29, 2016, 06:38:37 AM »
I have a feeling if Blob had an office/field job, he'd show up.

Years and years ago, my office at the time hired a guy to work in the back. Not a high paying job but the guy wanted it and got it. Day 1, he showed up on time. Day 2, car trouble, showed up an hour late, but called to say so. Day 3, showed up at noon, claimed car trouble with no advance phone call. Day 4, showed up 2 hours late and was fired on the spot.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4312 on: July 29, 2016, 06:39:18 AM »
Blob's lifestyle choice while these kids can't get their life in order.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4313 on: July 29, 2016, 06:55:29 AM »

Oh, I know my shortcomings, don't you doubt that. :lol
But this is one reason why I haven't had the confidence or intention to try to get a regular job, because I won't commit to something unless I know I can do it. I would never no-show a job, because it's selfish and shows a complete lack of respect not only for your employer, but yourself. I feel guilty if I let someone down who is relying on me for something, unlike these people who couldn't care less about anyone but themselves. At least I have the decency not to waste anyone's time.
Plus most of my problem is my stupid ADHD brain not letting me do the work I want to for more than 10 minutes at a time, rather than outright laziness.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4314 on: July 29, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »

Oh, I know my shortcomings, don't you doubt that. :lol
But this is one reason why I haven't had the confidence or intention to try to get a regular job, because I won't commit to something unless I know I can do it. I would never no-show a job, because it's selfish and shows a complete lack of respect not only for your employer, but yourself. I feel guilty if I let someone down who is relying on me for something, unlike these people who couldn't care less about anyone but themselves. At least I have the decency not to waste anyone's time.
Plus most of my problem is my stupid ADHD brain not letting me do the work I want to for more than 10 minutes at a time, rather than outright laziness.

I know. I was just bustin' balls.  :biggrin:

I know what you are talking about though. I always start things but never finish them because I decide to move on to something else. I get distracted easily.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4315 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:25 AM »
I know. I was just bustin' balls.  :biggrin:

I know what you are talking about though. I always start things but never finish them because I decide to move on to something else. I get distracted easily.

I know you were just messing around, but these guys are lazy shits even compared to me. :biggrin:

I'm always getting distracted because I'll get excited by some new project, then get distracted by some new idea, etc. I want to work on these things, and I enjoy working on them, at least initially, but my brain just often doesn't want to comply.
It feels good to occasionally check one off the list though. It's my periodic proof that I sometimes work at something! :blob:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4316 on: July 29, 2016, 07:09:43 AM »
I'm the same way, but I don't think it's distraction, for me. I simply haven't dedicated myself to anything. I mean, I have a career that I work on every day, obviously, but it's not the same it seems as it is for others, where the creativity or the result of their work comes out of them ALL THE TIME. I used to draw a lot more, I used to write a lot more, but I've never put myself full force into something that was just part of who I am. I'm a drummer, always have been, and I suppose for a time that was my life. But even that, while still a huge part of who I am and a skill I'm never not using, has moved into the background.

I don't have journals of written words. I don't have sketchbooks loaded with drawings the way my wife does. She draws all the time, seemingly never out of ideas of what to draw and seemingly capable of just doing things without getting too frustrated or giving up. She gets ideas for paintings and paints them. I get an idea and if I even start it, it never becomes what I see in my mind and most of the time I never finish it.

I wouldn't say I get distracted. I just lose interest, focus, and motivation.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4317 on: July 29, 2016, 07:14:49 AM »
You guys have a careers that you have chosen.  This is just manual labor and if you don't have skills at least there are opportunities here to grow.  They just don't want to.  It's sad.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4318 on: July 29, 2016, 07:22:46 AM »
Oh I understand you. Trust me, I know what it's like to have people who don't do anything, or don't even show up. They're everywhere. I was just giving an unrequested, longwinded analysis of my own mediocrity. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4319 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:26 AM »
 :lol

I think Sunday will be a unproductive day for me.  I need it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4320 on: July 29, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »

I think Sunday will be a unproductive day for me.  I need it.

You and me both, brother.

The unproductive part, not the needing it part. :neverusethis:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4321 on: July 29, 2016, 07:53:08 AM »
There is no cake in the forecast for this weekend Blob.  Are these peasants making me go buy my own cake?

The atrocity!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4322 on: July 29, 2016, 07:54:02 AM »
There is no cake in the forecast for this weekend Blob.  Are these peasants making me go buy my own cake?

The atrocity!

This is an insult to your beliefs and your people!

I will be having cake on Tuesday! I'll be sure to eat an extra piece in your honour.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4323 on: July 29, 2016, 07:55:50 AM »
Pose with it covering your face like Kiss in 16 Magazine in the late 70's/

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4324 on: July 29, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »

Or I'll do it Mrs Doubtfire style

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4325 on: July 29, 2016, 08:00:36 AM »

Or I'll do it Mrs Doubtfire style

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4326 on: July 29, 2016, 08:08:20 AM »
Good morning peeps.  Gonna be a rebel again and wear jeans to work.. Even when I do this,  I'm still dressed more professionally than a quarter of my office. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4327 on: July 29, 2016, 08:15:23 AM »
I have had so many different dress codes in my career. First couple jobs were 100% casual. Could wear anything at all as long as it wasn't sleeveless or offensive. Then I got into management and it was business casual with jeans on fridays. Collared shirts, tuked in with slacks and dress shoes, no tie needed.
When I started this job, I assumed it was smart casual: jeans okay, collared shirts. Not long after I started I was told solid tshirts and shorts are fine. So I am always very casual, though sometimes I feel kind of out of place since I'm the only guy and the girls will wear flowy outfits that are no more casual than mine, but look differently professional. Whatever.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4328 on: July 29, 2016, 08:32:24 AM »
Good morning all, and happy Friday.

I'm in dress pants and a button down shirt every day (unless I'm in working on a holiday, in which case it's shorts/jeans and a t-shirt). I've often thought I should take it more casual though, because we never meet with clients, I only have one coworker in this whole building, and my boss is on another continent :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4329 on: July 29, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »
Yeah the logic behind the "almost anything goes" dress code here is that 99.5% of the people with whom we meet are either out of the office or over the phone, so there's no real need to dress up.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4330 on: July 29, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »
There is technically not a dress code for my agency..  But it's highly recommended to dress businessy.  Slacks.  Collared shirt.  Dressy shoes.  My department doesn't deal with the public face to face... So they're a bit more casual..  But I still won't dress down to the point that some people are.  Usually I'm in slacks and a long sleeve collared button up... A few days I wear slacks and a Polo (because fuck summer)..  And on the days my lead is gone I've been wearing jeans and a short sleeved collared shirt.  I'll admit...  I do wear my ratty walking shoes...  But I can get away with it because my agency is competing with the rest of the county agencies in a walking (step)  competition. But I still always have my nice dress shoes in my cube if needed. 
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4331 on: July 29, 2016, 12:04:22 PM »
I just had to restart my computer. After 85 hours straight of rendering and editing, it was not happy with me. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4332 on: July 29, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
I just had to restart my computer. After 85 hours straight of rendering and editing, it was not happy with me. :lol

You make everyone hot, crazy and in the end they shut down.  If you had a droid it would shut down too. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4333 on: July 29, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »
Yeah, I'd get that android all hot and bothered because I'd be too much to take. :zydar:

:foreveralone:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4334 on: July 29, 2016, 12:30:43 PM »
I'm so glad it's Friday.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4335 on: July 29, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
Yeah, I'd get that android all hot and bothered because I'd be too much to take. :zydar:

Or her charging paterns never match up with your sleeping patterns. :lol

I'm so glad it's Friday.

A huge hell yeah.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4336 on: July 29, 2016, 12:35:49 PM »

Or her charging paterns never match up with your sleeping patterns. :lol

SHE'LL CHARGE WHEN I DAMN WELL MAKE HER CHARGE! :lol

And on that note, I'm off to bed, as it's 4:35am.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4337 on: July 29, 2016, 12:41:50 PM »
Good morning, er, good night. Whatever it is.  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4338 on: July 29, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »

Night Blob!

It's whiskey time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4339 on: July 29, 2016, 12:50:57 PM »
It's nap time.