Author Topic: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread  (Read 390192 times)

Offline The Trooper

Re: DTF Chat Thread v. OMG Guys it's a new Chat Thread
« Reply #735 on: April 27, 2016, 06:16:51 AM »
lol. that's my plan the next 5 days

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #736 on: April 27, 2016, 06:17:13 AM »
All jacked and pumped.  9 days until RoSfest.  After that I've got 2 50 year anniversary parties to go to.  Back to back weeks. That's when you know you are getting old.

So underwear and empty pizza boxes eh? :lol

It's even worse than that, moldy old bath robe and empty Jimmy John's sacks.  :)

I love Jimmy Johns.  I only get it when I'm in Columbus, OH.  We don't have them in N.E.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #737 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:19 AM »
Where do you have your money invested for your retirement?

Mostly in a couple of Morgan Stanley accounts and some property. The market is pretty good out here for selling property so I'm considering it. Of course, most of my stock accounts could seriously benefit from a few good years of growth but I'm not holding out much hope (this being a Presidential election cycle). My broker has been slowly converting a lot of my retirement account (SEP IRA) out of higher risk stocks and into public utilities and the like. Traditionally safe if not quite over performing stuff.

I've been seeing quite a few of my contemporaries get some pretty serious health problems before they have a chance to enjoy all their years of hard work...and I've lived a pretty bohemian life...so, my mortality has been in the forefront of my mind lately. There are some places I'd like to see before I punch-out so, yeah... retirement or at least a great deal more vacation.

I'm just sitting at work, procrastinating going out into the field. I'm in the dating world and speaking a few different prospects right now. I'm working on a book and a short story, the latter of which is most likely going to be published in a horror anthology. I just need to finish it.

I know this will sound strange from a deliriously happily married man, but dating sounds like fun. I always did enjoy meeting new people and I'm a total sucker for romance.

Let me know when the anthology comes out, I'd really enjoy reading your story.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: April 27, 2016, 06:32:30 AM »

Got some extra time off, Troop?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #739 on: April 27, 2016, 06:37:21 AM »

Yep. Podaar. No work (hopefully) till May 6th. Plan on doing some.....................well nothing lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #740 on: April 27, 2016, 06:41:58 AM »

Yep. Podaar. No work (hopefully) till May 6th. Plan on doing some.....................well nothing lol

I approve of this plan!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: April 27, 2016, 06:48:24 AM »
If you need any pointers Blob will PM you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: April 27, 2016, 06:49:27 AM »

That sounds like a lot of work. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #743 on: April 27, 2016, 06:51:50 AM »
I am already bored. I will take all suggestions :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: April 27, 2016, 06:52:10 AM »
What's up, Reap?

Nothing much I just got into the office. What's going on with you?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #745 on: April 27, 2016, 06:53:11 AM »
So underwear and empty pizza boxes a block of Velveeta eh? :lol

FTFY

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: April 27, 2016, 06:57:06 AM »

Pick a TV series and watch all of it. Create a scale model of the TARDIS out of popsicle sticks. Learn to juggle babies. Make a Youtube video showing how many hotdogs you can eat in 5 minutes. Learn to speak Klingon so you have value once they conquer our planet.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #747 on: April 27, 2016, 07:00:42 AM »
I may give in and finally start watching Game of Thrones. Juggling babies, I am a father of twin 9 year old boys, done that when they were younger (it was hard to learn...dropped hem a few times. I do have a lot of popsicle sticks so that is an idea. and I hear the speaking Klingon helps in picking up babes. ok thanks Blob! Will do! :metal

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #748 on: April 27, 2016, 07:08:16 AM »

A couple of ways that one can easily waste away hours: Full Tilt poker; Websleuths message board (missing persons discussion).
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: April 27, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »

That sounds like a lot of work. Ain't nobody got time for that.

:lol

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #750 on: April 27, 2016, 07:09:18 AM »

Pick a TV series and watch all of it. Create a scale model of the TARDIS out of popsicle sticks. Learn to juggle babies. Make a Youtube video showing how many hotdogs you can eat in 5 minutes. Learn to speak Klingon so you have value once they conquer our planet.

If you keep giving all this advise to every guy here you're going to significantly decrease your uniqueness and therefor your appeal. This seems reckless.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #751 on: April 27, 2016, 07:11:39 AM »

A couple of ways that one can easily waste away hours: Full Tilt poker; Websleuths message board (missing persons discussion).

Always up for poker Jen :)  I am afraid I may find my name on that missing persons board :lol

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #752 on: April 27, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »

If you keep giving all this advise to every guy here you're going to significantly decrease your uniqueness and therefor your appeal. This seems reckless.
Nobody can take Blobs sexiness................I mean uniqueness

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #753 on: April 27, 2016, 07:19:16 AM »
I played Zynga Poker for a while. Racked up a ton of winnings since their odds are heavily stacked, and then promptly grew bored with it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #754 on: April 27, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »

Always up for poker Jen :)  I am afraid I may find my name on that missing persons board :lol

not unless you're also in NAMUS or related

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #755 on: April 27, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »

Nobody can take Blobs sexiness................I mean uniqueness

I've been taking Blob's sexiness for .. what, at least 10 years now?

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #756 on: April 27, 2016, 07:22:57 AM »
I played Zynga Poker for a while. Racked up a ton of winnings since their odds are heavily stacked, and then promptly grew bored with it.

I feel like I"ve heard of that. Is it a facebook app or something? I prefer the ones that actually send players to the WSOP like Full Tilt or Poker Stars, even though I cannot play for real money in NY.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #757 on: April 27, 2016, 07:25:57 AM »
I am with Jen. Full Tilt is the way to go.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #758 on: April 27, 2016, 07:27:23 AM »

Nope not on NAMUS .................

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #759 on: April 27, 2016, 07:30:24 AM »

Nope not on NAMUS .................

"or related" .. doe network, charley project, etc... but yeah I know you were just kidding around. I have a special interest in missing persons cases (and Israel Keyes) but I won't get started because then I start infodumping real quick.

Offline The Trooper

« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2016, 07:32:48 AM »
Gotcha. I was just joking about me. Trust me I can see the interest

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #761 on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:08 AM »
I feel like I"ve heard of that. Is it a facebook app or something? I prefer the ones that actually send players to the WSOP like Full Tilt or Poker Stars, even though I cannot play for real money in NY.

It's either through Facebook or the mobile app. I never linked mine with my Facebook, and I simply chose it because I wasn't interested in that type of thing. I just wanted recreational poker with play money. Zynga's probabilities are heavily skewed and instead of actually performing an accurate randomizer, they dealt actual hands. This resulted in ridiculously common high hands.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #762 on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »
Gotcha. I was just joking about me. Trust me I can see the interest

I just have some qualities that can be fairly intense, and one is my tendency to become completely taken by certain subjects and go on and on and on about them without realizing others are totally not into it. There's neurology behind it but suffice it to say that I know better than to start on certain subjects unless in an area specifically dedicated to it. :lol especially Izzy K, you start talking serial killers to people and they tend to get weirded out for some reason. Go figure. :lol

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #763 on: April 27, 2016, 07:35:47 AM »
G'morning all.

Where do you have your money invested for your retirement?

All in low cost index funds. The biggest chunk tracks the S&P, but I also have some in mid cap, small cap, and emerging markets funds, as well as a small bit across a couple different bond funds. Over time I'll gradually tilt it more and more towards S&P and bonds.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #764 on: April 27, 2016, 07:37:50 AM »

It's either through Facebook or the mobile app. I never linked mine with my Facebook, and I simply chose it because I wasn't interested in that type of thing. I just wanted recreational poker with play money. Zynga's probabilities are heavily skewed and instead of actually performing an accurate randomizer, they dealt actual hands. This resulted in ridiculously common high hands.

That would be annoying as heck. Plus when you play with people on a site dedicated solely to play money, people don't bet correctly and it really pisses me off to be completely blunt. Anyone who goes all-in every hand right off the bat is a douchewaffle, and then you get people who constantly go chasing down hands while holding nothing and betting with no pattern whatsoever (and not in a smart way, just in a "I think I"ll click THIS ONE!!" way).

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #765 on: April 27, 2016, 07:41:48 AM »
That is one of the reasons I stopped playing Zynga. Standard strategy went out the window. There are many times you see someone play the perfect hand after landing trips on the flop with a pocket pair, only to be beaten by someone who river'd a queen-high straight. And it isn't fluky that it happens that way. After a while you can almost predict when the person who is just limping through each round will end up with a massive hand. Not uncommon to hit a full house, inside straight, or flush on the river.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #766 on: April 27, 2016, 08:02:37 AM »
Good morning, peeps.

So, the wife signed her employment offer for the new job in Raleigh, so we are officially moving.  Her start date is May 23, so we've got about a month to find a place to live and get her settled in.  We have a few appointments to look at places for Friday, so that will be an adventure.

The girls and I probably won't relocate until later in the summer.  My youngest daughter doesn't get out of school until the end of May, and then she will want to spend as much time as possible with the friends she will be leaving behind.  And I haven't even started looking for a job in Raleigh yet, but it's a better market than here, so hopefully it won't take too long.  Also, we have to sell our current house.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #767 on: April 27, 2016, 08:06:12 AM »
Good luck! And congrats, as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #768 on: April 27, 2016, 08:07:50 AM »
Thanks!

The actual moving part will be a pain in the ass, but I am super excited about this transition in our lives.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #769 on: April 27, 2016, 08:09:03 AM »
Good news, Boss. Best of luck!