Author Topic: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2  (Read 6807 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Use Your Illusion 1 & 2
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 10:59:45 AM »
I don't think anyone in their right mind could argue that AFD isn't in the league of the other mentioned albums. ;)

Oh yes, there's one song longer. My theory is entirely out of the window (more like an inch away from where it was).  :\

My point about not being a rocker just means it's an apples and oranges comparison.

You did say two longest songs. I'm just pointed out your fallacy.  ;)   An inch or mile, it's still wrong.

Jesus dude, do you really care that much about the semantics of a half joke that remains just as valid regardless anyway? I'm done with it.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't keep adding in your opinion.  I got over it before your first comment about it.  ;)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2016, 11:06:41 AM »
  AFD is probably the best debut album by any rock band, ever. Period.

Eh, I could name dozens that are better. 

In hard rock alone, the debuts of LZ, Boston and VH smack the shit out of Appetite.

I would say AFD is in that league.

I would not.

Consider the test of time theory in regards to radio play (which I am aware is not everything, but it's just interesting to note):

Where I work now, we listen to the radio all day, and usually a station that plays rock from the late 60s through current day.

AFD has three songs that still get played on the radio regularly, the three hits.  Mr. Brownstone gets the occasional play.

Boston's first album has eight songs that are ALL still played on the radio on a regular basis.

The first VH album still has five songs that get played to death (six if you count Eruption, which is often played along with You Really Got Me).

Now, the first LZ album probably only has three songs that still get played a lot, but I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to argue against the greatness that is Led Zeppelin I, right? ;)

To be fair, those other albums don't have songs with explicit lyrics that can't be played on the radio.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2016, 03:16:58 PM »
  AFD is probably the best debut album by any rock band, ever. Period.

Eh, I could name dozens that are better. 

In hard rock alone, the debuts of LZ, Boston and VH smack the shit out of Appetite.

I would say AFD is in that league.

Agreed.

Ain't a fan of Led Zeppelin. Van Halen is on par with Appetite (though i prefer the latter). Boston isn't nowhere near as good as these two.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2016, 08:23:14 PM »
It's actually better than both (and I love the first VH album).  That Boston album is one killer classic after another. 

Side 2 of AFD is more average/mediocre songs than good ones.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2016, 10:28:49 PM »
It's actually better than both (and I love the first VH album).  That Boston album is one killer classic after another. 

Side 2 of AFD is more average/mediocre songs than good ones.

I couldn't agree more regarding AFD. Even Out Ta Get Me (obviously named by King) and It's So Easy, both on the first side, are mediocre songs. The first Boston album is better than any of those others mentioned.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 06:52:23 PM »
AFD >>>> VH1

VH1 belongs nowhere near a list of great debut albums. That album is at least 50% mediocre filler.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2016, 06:03:11 AM »
VH1 put Eddie Van Halen on the map and with him rock guitar playing changed forever. You can't say that about Slash.

If that makes VH1 "better" is up to personal taste.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2016, 08:24:08 AM »
AFD is in that category, but there's a degree to which "Which came first?" applies here.  I was there, the first time, when Boston, VH1 and Appetite were released.   Boston was "whoa!" because that "sound" was like nothing that came before, and Delp's voice was a breathe of fresh air.  Some people started to pick up guitars to learn that run in "More Than A Feeling".   VH1 was "WHOA!" because it was like hearing three guys playing at once, and yet... it was just one guy.   NO ONE played like EVH, and you have to remember DLR was way cooler than he is now, and was sort of a unique voice in the way he approached his music.   A whole lot of people picked up guitars to learn "Eruption".   AFD wasn't that.   I remember being at UConn, and living in a dorm complex called "The Jungle", and coming back to school in September and hearing "Welcome To The Jungle" out of every dorm room, but as good as Slash is (and he is great) it's not like Aerosmith didn't do a lot of that, better, and ten years earlier.    Yeah, I learned the intro to "Sweet Child..." to impress chicks at parties, but I didn't go out and try to learn the whole record like I did (unsuccessfully) with VH1.  Yeah, some of the lyrics were grittier ("Rocket Queen" for one) but it's kind of like "Lady Gaga"; she's awesome, but if you saw Madonna back in the day, it's not groundbreaking. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:15 AM »
That's what I meant, VH1 was new and innovative, AFD was great but really nothing new, everything's been done before.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 08:42:19 AM »
An album doesn't have to reinvent the wheel to be a classic, excellent album. The songs are still popular today because they're well written and they downright rock like few albums at the time. I'd take AFD over anything Aerosmith ever did.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 09:02:23 AM »
So how bouts them Use Your Illusion albums....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:17 AM »
I'd take AFD over anything Aerosmith ever did.
Same here, and over VH1 as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2016, 12:14:27 PM »

I concur with all these wise statements.  :biggrin:

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2016, 12:40:14 PM »

You don't know what you are saying. :P

I like "Estranged", though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2016, 12:46:21 PM »

You don't know what you are saying. :P

I like "Estranged", though.

It's hard to find any Aerosmith album with more than two or three good songs. VH1 is good but half of it isn't worth listening to. AFD easily tops those. I'd go so far as to say it's better than LZ I, but I'm not much of a Zeppelin fan anyway, so that's not a fair comparison. I like the first Boston album more than all of them, though.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:24:01 PM by Prog Snob »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »
I'm with ya there, Snob.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

SebastianPratesi

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 01:26:44 PM »
It's hard to find any Aerosmith albums with more than two or three good songs. VH1 is good but half of it isn't worth listening to. AFD easily tops those. I'd go so far as to say it's better than LZ I, but I'm not much of a Zeppelin fan anyway, so that's not a fair comparison. I like the first Boston album more than all of them, though.

Mm, (I know this isn't the Aerosmith thread, but) in my opinion Toys In The Attic, Pump and Just Push Play all feature many great songs, and they are from different decades/eras of the band. I haven't listened to Van Halen, so I don't have anything to say there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2016, 01:29:24 PM »
It's hard to find any Aerosmith albums with more than two or three good songs. VH1 is good but half of it isn't worth listening to. AFD easily tops those. I'd go so far as to say it's better than LZ I, but I'm not much of a Zeppelin fan anyway, so that's not a fair comparison. I like the first Boston album more than all of them, though.

Mm, (I know this isn't the Aerosmith thread, but) in my opinion Toys In The Attic, Pump and Just Push Play all feature many great songs, and they are from different decades/eras of the band. I haven't listened to Van Halen, so I don't have anything to say there.

I've always had trouble getting into Aerosmith. I'm not quite sure what it is.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
This was, well, my own "double album out of a double album" compilation that I made one time years ago when I felt like gathering together the songs I actually liked from the two albums:

Right Next Door to Hell
You Could Be Mine
Don't Damn Me
Civil War
Back Off Bitch
Locomotive
Get in the Ring
November Rain
Pretty Tied Up
Bad Obsession
Yesterdays
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Live and Let DIe
14 Years
Dead Horse
So Fine
Estranged
Coma
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
If I was just gonna go with the songs that I really really like on each album it would probably be something like:
Dust N' Bones
Double Talkin' Jive
The Garden
Don't Damn Me
Coma
14 Years
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
Estranged

I love plenty of other stuff on each album and I'm definitely in favor of having both albums though.