Author Topic: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread  (Read 518545 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: *Official* The Astonishing discussion thread
« Reply #2030 on: February 08, 2016, 01:10:19 PM »
Can you imagine the tedium if this album was 130 minutes of " This Dying Soul " ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2031 on: February 08, 2016, 01:14:07 PM »
There's plenty of heavy guitar on this album. Are people on crack?

Well, not right now.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2032 on: February 08, 2016, 01:15:20 PM »
Can you imagine the tedium if this album was 130 minutes of " This Dying Soul " ?

Well, things could always be worse. :P

Joking aside, I like most of the album and love about one hour of it. So the batting average isn't too bad, but still. It's just exhausting to listen to, I find, and the run of songs between Heaven's Cove and Hymn of a Thousand Voices just runs together too much imho.

That said, songs like Three Days, A New Beginning and Our New World are some of the best that they have written in years. And also I am really glad that they made this album, because it shows that they are - as a band - unafraid of taking risks and regardless of the outcome, that is something that I will always applaud.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2033 on: February 08, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »

The Hashtonishing

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2034 on: February 08, 2016, 01:28:57 PM »
I wonder how a song like Three Days would have been welcomed on a regular DT album. You know, a "standard" DT album like the first two with Mangini, and then a song goes batshit insane with its style and those jazz incursions.

For me, I would have loved it, I wish more bands would have the odd, crazy songs here and there, completely unlikely anything they've ever done.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2035 on: February 08, 2016, 01:29:35 PM »
If they managed to make 130 minutes of music up to the quality of one of their best songs, it would be a pretty good album indeed  :P

Plus, considering it's been a while since they have done a particularly heavy album, it'd still be a nice bit of variety in DT's discography.

But then of course, disliking that hypothetical album due to it lacking in softer stuff would be completely valid, while it's OK to give people shit for disliking The Astonishing if they find it lacking in the metal side (which is as much a part of DT's history as anything else).

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2036 on: February 08, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »
I wonder how a song like Three Days would have been welcomed on a regular DT album. You know, a "standard" DT album like the first two with Mangini, and then a song goes batshit insane with its style and those jazz incursions.

For me, I would have loved it, I wish more bands would have the odd, crazy songs here and there, completely unlikely anything they've ever done.
The song is great but it is hard to see it working as well without having lyrics that are part of a story to really commit to. A random "villain song" on an album of otherwise unrelated songs would definitely be a bit weird, but the random styles of music wouldn't be a problem.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2037 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
But the guitar isn't the loudest entity in the mix and the master isn't brickwalled until the loud guitar obliterates any sonic details from the other instruments. This isn't how DT albums sounded for the past ten years.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2038 on: February 08, 2016, 01:35:04 PM »
Dream Theater really needs to make our new World their next single, make a hopeful video of people helping other people when in despair and this song can easily be a major hit!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2039 on: February 08, 2016, 01:36:38 PM »

The Hashtonishing

Those were the days - smoking hash in the dorm - 1977 rocked
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2040 on: February 08, 2016, 01:37:19 PM »
Dream Theater really needs to make our new World their next single, make a hopeful video of people helping other people when in despair and this song can easily be a major hit!

They aren't planning on releasing any singles from this album.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2041 on: February 08, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »

:(

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #2042 on: February 08, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »

I know.. but IMO they should

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2043 on: February 08, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »

The Hashtonishing

The Way It Used To Be?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2044 on: February 08, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
But then of course, disliking that hypothetical album due to it lacking in softer stuff would be completely valid, while it's OK to give people shit for disliking The Astonishing if they find it lacking in the metal side (which is as much a part of DT's history as anything else).
Well no, the problem wouldn't be a lack of softer stuff (I like plenty of albums with no soft songs whatsoever) but everything being the same style. I think that's what Kotow was getting at. I know for a fact that he likes heavy music.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2045 on: February 08, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »

The Hashtonishing

Oh yeah! I remember those times, back when I was -13 years old  :neverusethis:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2046 on: February 08, 2016, 01:53:48 PM »
You're 26 ? :)

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2047 on: February 08, 2016, 01:55:42 PM »
We are all together but there are clans, from ladyboys to hairy metalheads, next album will be so metal people will complain that it miss subtility, and the next one will be too short and the next one will have too long songs...
I am amazed how much time is spent on trying to justify why TA should be a bad album but we are not talking about bad radio one hit wonders, we are talking about albums that are masterpieces and impossible to listen for mere mortals.
To each their own :)
I respect thought an album may not be the one for you
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2048 on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
It seems to be pretty intuitive figuring out which character is singing during a given song.

Well, one instance that comes to mind is "In peace, we gather here today", which Arhys said in response to Nafaryus asking them to carry on with Gabriel's singing in the square event, to which Daryus responds "Don’t make him ask again", it plays like "Show us what we’ve heard so much about? In peace, we gather here today, Don’t make him ask again", I imagine a listener without lyrics would be confused for a second.
Arabelle has few lines here and there but I feel like she always comes out of nowhere and it's not easy to figure out it's her instantly.

Some of us here were lucky cause pringkaarwanda transcribed them from the booklet and posted them here.

Did he do that? I thought he just posted the link he got from reddit

I think you're right, he just corrected the mistakes he found on the reddit version. I wouldn't have found it otherwise though; I took the file he posted, converted it to pdf and read while I listened on my first full play through that Friday.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2049 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:05 PM »
You're 26 ? :)

Not yet. I'm still a quarter of a century old.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2050 on: February 08, 2016, 01:57:25 PM »
So... anyone been to the Catskill Mountains?
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #2051 on: February 08, 2016, 02:19:27 PM »
I wonder how can anyone dislike Three Days. Those progressions, those lyrics, that chorus  :metal, that ragtime  :hefdaddy, that swing blast beat  :millahhhh My God, the best 4 minutes DT's written for many, many years.

Also, I don't understand those people who want plain metal albums from a progressive band. Actually, what I expect from progressive bands is to mix different kind of musics, to bring unexpected things in their music, to not fit a standard style... well, I enjoy music in general, and I love different kinds of music mixing up, like in Three Days or Lord Nafaryus.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2052 on: February 08, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »
It seems to be pretty intuitive figuring out which character is singing during a given song.

Well, one instance that comes to mind is "In peace, we gather here today", which Arhys said in response to Nafaryus asking them to carry on with Gabriel's singing in the square event, to which Daryus responds "Don’t make him ask again", it plays like "Show us what we’ve heard so much about? In peace, we gather here today, Don’t make him ask again", I imagine a listener without lyrics would be confused for a second.
Arabelle has few lines here and there but I feel like she always comes out of nowhere and it's not easy to figure out it's her instantly.
Agreed. Once reading the lyrics through and paying attention, it's easy enough to remember. But it's definitely not that easy to get each line from just listening through.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gromit1710

« Reply #2053 on: February 08, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »

Agreed. Once reading the lyrics through and paying attention, it's easy enough to remember. But it's definitely not that easy to get each line from just listening through.
Admittedly, as a victim of ITUNES and their "Not gonna give you any artwork" purchase...

I had no freakin clue what was going on in most of the songs until I finally read the transcribed lyrics o.o

Got the general jist, but not the details or the real story.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2054 on: February 08, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »
I think I disagree, but I want to check what you mean by "middle of Act II". I think the run from Path That Divides through to My Last Farewell is fantastic, both musically and narratively (though the two are of course related). The few songs after that are a bit more middle-of-the-road, but I would have said that's towards the end of the Act.
[/quote]

I was thinking all the way from Heaven's Cove to Whispers on the Wind...it's not as if there's no beautiful passages in that span (there are plenty), but it's more like just a ton of story-telling tracks back-to-back that don't stand out from the rest of the album, or aren't really stand-alone songs either, the way that A New Beginning, A Life Left Behind, Our New World, Moment of Betrayal, Three Days, The Gift of Music, etc. do.  I think just one good stand-alone song in there would made it a little more interesting.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2055 on: February 08, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
It seems that most people have disliked the middle of Act II, but that's honestly probably my favorite series of songs.

I wouldn't say that I dislike it...it's just that it gets a little slow.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #2056 on: February 08, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »

I can't really tell when he's changing characters when I'm listening to it.  But I brought it over to my friend's house this weekend, as he and his wife like more clasically-inspired rock music (the are both big Muse fans, but they've always been open to listening to DT, and while they don't go by the albums, they enjoy it when I am over and play it)--and she could tell right away without even knowing much about the plot when James was singing the female versus male lines.  I thought it was amazing, because I being the DT aficionado and being well-versed in the plot, still couldn't tell which character was singing without reading the lyric book.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2057 on: February 08, 2016, 03:18:24 PM »
I read through the booklet lyrics on first listen (annoying as it was given the packaging), which was enough to get the story in one go (apart from a couple of things only described on their site such as Daryus's deafness, exactly what "Bug" is...). Normally the vocals in combination with listening to the lyrics and having a basic understanding of who the characters are is enough to tell who is meant to be speaking, but in some cases the lyric booklet is probably necessary to tell, and there is virtually no way to tell just from the vocals alone, and you need to go by the lyrics. For example, in what I would call the second and third "chorus" of A New Beginning (although the lyrics are different each time), there is little if any difference in the vocals to distinguish between Faythe and Arabelle and then Faythe and Nafaryus. But for most extended sections from one character, it does a good job of making it feel different.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2058 on: February 08, 2016, 03:37:04 PM »
I read through the booklet lyrics on first listen (annoying as it was given the packaging), which was enough to get the story in one go (apart from a couple of things only described on their site such as Daryus's deafness, exactly what "Bug" is...).

Yep, these two things and also the mechanics of what the plans were at Heaven's Cove, without the website we don't know why Faythe and Gabriel were to show up there earlier than the time they're supposed to meet the emperor, I got hung up on that for a while. Also that Arhys made sure not to tell Daryus that the emperor has agreed to meet with Gabriel, at the same place on the same night, actually as I typed this I still feel there's a bit of oddness in the whole intersecting plans of Heaven's Cove, so what I can gather from it is that Arhys did not believe Gabriel would manage to convince the emperor of peaceful resolve and so he thought he'd at least get something back from Gabriel's death by doing the trade off with Daryus.. does that sound right?
One thing not even explained in the website is whether or not Xander was kidnapped, the lyrics clearly state that he followed his father to Heaven's Cove so why was he worried about his life? And why did Daryus threaten him with his son's life? The only answer I can think of is that Arhys never had much faith in the outcome of the entire empire/rebels conflict and thought if push comes to shove Xander will die because the rebels will be defeated and Ravenskill will burn.. dunno.
EDIT: None of this seems characteristic of Arhys, that's another reason why it seems odd.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2059 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:37 PM »
Also, didn't Gabriel say the Noise Machines would be quiet that night, yet they appear right after The Path That Divides.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2060 on: February 08, 2016, 03:39:47 PM »
If I remember correctly I had this approach:

First listening: read the lyrics
Second listening: focused only on the music
Third listening: read the lyrics again
Fourth listening: reading not the lyrics but the song descriptions of the site.

That gave me quite a good understanding, then for all the little details there's this forum  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2061 on: February 08, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »
The last vocal passage in A New Beginning is one where the character changes midway through the verse, and it's not immediately obvious unless you read the lyric book and get used to the idea.

Faythe: Now you understand why I was hiding...
Nafaryus: I will grant the chance for a new beginning...

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2062 on: February 08, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »
If I remember correctly I had this approach:

First listening: read the lyrics
Second listening: focused only on the music
Third listening: read the lyrics again
Fourth listening: reading not the lyrics but the song descriptions of the site.

That gave me quite a good understanding, then for all the little details there's this forum  :biggrin:

That's the perfect approach IMO, only I reversed your second and third steps cause I'm a sucker for concept albums, mainly for seeing the craft that comes out of a talented song writer trying to put a lengthy story with details into music form.

Also, didn't Gabriel say the Noise Machines would be quiet that night, yet they appear right after The Path That Divides.

YES! Not just after The Path That Divides but they can also be clearly heard at the beginning of that very song! that's one thing I forgot to mention up there; why did he say the NOMAC's were "laying still"? the emperor didn't agree to that when he agreed to meet Gabriel, but also it contradicts what I felt was the whole point of going to Heaven's Cove which is to be away from the NOMAC's sounds and influence, which-stay with me here- brings us to the big elephant in the room; the nature and patterns of the NOMAC's presence, are they patrolling or are they always around? The scenes from the trailer drives me to believe there is hundreds, if not thousands, of them, so they don't take breaks or go in for maintenance or generally be in any situation where they're simply off.
Maybe they only patrol populated places and that's why Heaven's Cove was perfect for the meeting, but then Gabriel saying they "the noise machines lie still tonight" doesn't make sense.
Look at this.. DT you bring out the nerd in my soul :lol

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #2063 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:55 PM »
Is anyone else interested to see how the band will pull off all the added instruments/orchestra and choir parts?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: February 08, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
Is anyone else interested to see how the band will pull off all the added instruments/orchestra and choir parts?

• Play to a click track.

• Play the tracks over the PA.