Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 490487 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2625 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:22 AM »
If the new album sounds like BC&SL, I'll be fine with that. The sound is the least of that album's problems. But I don't know much about sound stuff, so honestly that album sounds fine to me. But even for someone as uneducated about that as me, DT12 still sounds like shit, so as long as the production is better than that, I'll be content.

I wouldn't mind for the songwriting and lyrics to be better as well, but that's another matter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2626 on: July 21, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »
Hopefully he is %100 since its been said he has been sick and struggling a bit this tour.

Either way, all is good news.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2627 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »
The comments about the sound are HUGE for me. Absolutely huge. This one single detail has me very pumped for the new album.
I'm thankful they recognized it's a legit issue and have addressed it.

Awesome!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2628 on: July 21, 2015, 08:06:48 AM »
Great news about the sound. Hopefully DT13 will satisfy everyone. ADTOE and DT12 have been very controversial sound wise. Would of loved for Jens Boergen to mix DT13. He's done a great job with Katatonia, Symphony X, JLB solo albums, etc...

I was listening to Devin Townsend's Epicloud and Sky Blue and the snare on those albums sound very similar as MM's snare in DT12. So I'm not sure how DT got all the flack but the other DT (Townsend) didn't (as far as I know).

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2629 on: July 21, 2015, 08:15:16 AM »
I hope they would retain the more up front bass though. Just give it more bottom, less treble.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: July 21, 2015, 08:15:39 AM »
I don't think ADToE & DT12 are *unlistenable* - but they would both be improved with one small change.

The former needed more prominent drums and the latter needed a much snappier drum sound and slightly less hotter mastering.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2631 on: July 21, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
I don't think Epicloud's snare sounds like DT12. On Epicloud, it actually sounds like a snare.

I don't think ADToE & DT12 are *unlistenable* - but they would both be improved with one small change.

I think ADToE is fine, aside from a bit unenergetic and somewhat unnatural drum sound. But DT12 is nigh on unlistenable.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2632 on: July 21, 2015, 08:22:26 AM »
It's the hyperboles that kill me. Unlistenable?

The worst drum sound is Luna Park. Makes Mangini sound like an amateur that hits drums softly.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2633 on: July 21, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »
Yeah DT12's snare sounds like when you break the snare skin - stick gaffer tape on the rip and tighten it up again.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2634 on: July 21, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
I don't think Epicloud's snare sounds like DT12. On Epicloud, it actually sounds like a snare.

I think ADToE is fine, aside from a bit unenergetic and somewhat unnatural drum sound. But DT12 is nigh on unlistenable.

The HDTracks version of DT12 is acceptable (still not great, but a noticeable improvement), but the CD is a wall of over-compressed guitar noise drowning out everything.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2635 on: July 21, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »
It's the hyperboles that kill me. Unlistenable?

The worst drum sound is Luna Park. Makes Mangini sound like an amateur that hits drums softly.

Haven't listened to Luna Park so I wouldn't know. But I'm not kidding with my statements about DT12. I can't really listen to the DT12 tracks without constantly thinking about how dull the production is. I can find almost zero enjoyment in listening to it, therefore I call it "nigh on unlistenable".

Yeah DT12's snare sounds like when you break the snare skin - stick gaffer tape on the rip and tighten it up again.

I've always thought they sound like some cheap sample on a free drum program. All the hits sound like button presses. Which would be fine if they were making electronic dance music, but not on a prog metal album.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #2636 on: July 21, 2015, 09:43:04 AM »
The problem with ADTOE is the drum sound. It's not very loud and clear enough. But, the overall sound is not that bad.
DT12 has a clear problem with the overall mix. Too much compression and the lack of dynamics ended up hiding many brilliant details of the melodies (such as cymbals and keyboards). The bass sound is delightful, but the keys are buried in the mix.

I'm glad that the band heard the negative feedback about the mix and want to make changes for this new record. Both of the recent albuns has positive things, that I think they can apply on this new record.

Can't wait to hear those snippets they're dying to reveal!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2637 on: July 21, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
I just want an album that sounds as nice and airy as Octavarium again.

But I also know it won't happen.

The best we can hope for is the BC&SL mix again.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2638 on: July 21, 2015, 09:57:10 AM »
I just want an album that sounds as nice and airy as Octavarium again.

But I also know it won't happen.

The best we can hope for is the BC&SL mix again.

The BC&SL mix was good except for the keyboards and bass being way too low in the mix. Listen to the isolated keyboards from TCoT. Jordan is doing a lot of amazing stuff that you can barely hear. The bass mix is extremely inconsistent. On TCoT you can hear the bass just fine but on TSF you can't barely hear it at all. If they had mixed the bass and keyboards better the mix on BC&SL would be amazing.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #2639 on: July 21, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »
My biggest problem about BCSL's bass is the tone. I listened to the bass stems, and it sounds kinda dirty. DT12's bass is so much better in every aspect. And for DT13, I'm not expecting that the best we can hope for, is something like BCSL. They have the capacity to break new ground and throw us something brand new in therms of mix and dynamics.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: July 21, 2015, 12:19:32 PM »
I have faith it will be... different, but will it be better? That's a matter of opinion, but I'd say it'll likely be better than the last two albums. 

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2641 on: July 21, 2015, 01:09:27 PM »
Good info from James in that interview. Encouraged to hear the band realizes the sound issues, not all bands are willing enough to listen to outside criticism and take it constructively, it sounds like DT may have done that here.

This also pretty much confirms (I think it was assumed but not confirmed) that all the instruments are done being recorded and James' vocals are the only thing left.

I'm really happy to hear the Evening With shows are sticking around for another tour as well! I wonder if MM is happy about that...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2642 on: July 21, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »
I'm really happy to hear the Evening With shows are sticking around for another tour as well! I wonder if MM is happy about that...

Im sure his bank account is happy with that  :lol  I know us fans are also happy about that.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2643 on: July 21, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
My biggest problem with DT12's mix is that everything is so friggin' loud. Everything, all the time. It doesn't sound natural or musical. The Bigger Picture could've been of my favorite DT songs of all time if it didn't sound so demn-in-your-face. The  song has some beautiful piano and string arrangements that are barely audible because of the big chocolate cake guitar and the big, loud and lifeless snare drum that is almost painful to listen to.

That's something the band lost with MP, I reckon. I mean...his drums usually sound incredible, both in live and studio settings. I'm incredibly excited for the new sonic direction the band's gonna take after this, so I'm all in.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2644 on: July 21, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
DT12 and WDADU are the only two DT albums I think suck on a production level, I'm not that picky  :lol
DT12 sounds worse than WDADU though which is just impressive more than anything, those 24 years made a huge difference didn't they

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2645 on: July 21, 2015, 02:33:35 PM »

Im sure his bank account is happy with that  :lol  I know us fans are also happy about that.

:lol For sure! I just meant that it seemed like the size of the set last tour among other things was stressful for him. Hopefully the longer he is in the band, the more comfortable he is with the songs and the performances. Also it will help that the percentage of tunes in the sets that he has recorded original drum parts for will probably continue to increase as more and more albums with him are released.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: July 21, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »

:lol For sure! I just meant that it seemed like the size of the set last tour among other things was stressful for him. Hopefully the longer he is in the band, the more comfortable he is with the songs and the performances. Also it will help that the percentage of tunes in the sets that he has recorded original drum parts for will probably continue to increase as more and more albums with him are released.

Oh totally, I cant imagine how grueling an evening with DT world tour must be.  But, he did it before and is still going at it!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2647 on: July 21, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
"-...but they are very aware of the negative feedback about the sound in the last two albums. James says the sound in DT12 was a Richard Chycki thing, and they all agreed then, but now they're not interested in that direction anymore. Expect no more sound issues."

ohyes  :hefdaddy
I wonder if this is a result of them trying to be more involved in the social media side of things. This is especially good news, as is the rest of the info that was posted. I'm pretty stoked for this record.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2648 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:06 PM »
"-...but they are very aware of the negative feedback about the sound in the last two albums. James says the sound in DT12 was a Richard Chycki thing, and they all agreed then, but now they're not interested in that direction anymore. Expect no more sound issues."

I wonder if this is a result of them trying to be more involved in the social media side of things. This is especially good news, as is the rest of the info that was posted. I'm pretty stoked for this record.

Or just checked a thread on this site, like any DT related thread.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2649 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:48 PM »

Apparently they have been around this forum in the recent year or two, which I meant to include in my point.

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2650 on: July 21, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
Most people deal with the 3-hour set playing as if they were forced to do that.

Musicians and a lot of people will agree with this.
My university has a band with which I've played gigs with less than 24 hours apart around here, and the night between both shows, I barely slept and was very tired during the second day. Even during the small rehearsal we had before the second show, I was still considerably tired. However, when the group that played before us finished and it was our turn, just listening to the "roar" of the audience (which was a local festival with around 1000 people haha), the adrenaline just fills you up entirely, completely, and you get focused and what you're doing, but most importantly: you have fun.

Because it's something you love. And now, these 1000 people were not there exclusively to see us, they were probably waiting for another group that was to play before us or after. Anyway, that was enough to cause a giant adrenaline rush that just keeps you moving. I wanted to play more until I ran out of repertory (And I'm not really good at all!)
Now, I can just imagine how is it to have WAAAY more people that that EVERY NIGHT at DIFFERENT PLACES IN THE WORLD to see YOU, just YOU. Man, I think it's like being the king of the world.
So no, I doubt the 3 hours long shows are an issue.
I think the main problem is traveling, most people got troubles to catch sleep while traveling, especially at planes. The time changes, you might sleep at 8 P.M. regularly but when you get overseas it might be 3 A.M. so you got to sleep earlier and that's normally not possible to do in less than a day. My thoughts.

Now, if age is another issue, I wouldn't mind Rudess having to sit during the gig to play, I'm not there to see him spinning around tho.

And for drummers, there is a TECHNIQUE, most non-drummers get tired after less than a short song of playing (Petrucci himself), and others endure much much longer, it's just matter of getting used to it, and this band, being better than the average group, has definitely mastered that.
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2651 on: July 21, 2015, 05:51:14 PM »
And these guys take care of themselves. James always runs and stays in shape while on tour, as well as keeping away from alcohol on tour for the sake of his voice. We all know JP lifts and what not. These guys are in good shape physically and of course they are in good enough shape to play their complex music for 2.5+ hours a night. For the next 5+ years, I don't really see stamina at a show as an issue. Rudess will more or less be the first to show signs of not being able to do as much, but he's considerably older than the rest of the guys, I believe.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2652 on: July 21, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »

Apparently they have been around this forum in the recent year or two, which I meant to include in my point.

Yes, isn't this forum "official" now? As far as we know, bosk and the others might just be putting some of our posts together and talking to the band themselves  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2653 on: July 21, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »
The "DT wants to hear from you" thread has been around for more than 2 months, but there's really no indication that it was read by any of the DT members. If I had to venture a guess, I think DTF's interaction with the band is through management, which shares new album information and media for releases.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2654 on: July 21, 2015, 09:24:14 PM »
The "DT wants to hear from you" thread has been around for more than 2 months, but there's really no indication that it was read by any of the DT members. If I had to venture a guess, I think DTF's interaction with the band is through management, which shares new album information and media for releases.

Usually.  But I periodically share things directly with the band.  I honestly don't think they read very often.  Rena used to read and share information with John, but I do not think she has been on in a long time.  But there are a couple of other people who have a direct line to the band who read the forum as well, so you never know what info they are aware of even if they are not reading.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2655 on: July 21, 2015, 10:00:16 PM »
No need to mention the actual handles, but do they have accounts? I do not recall ever having seen a post aside from Rena.
EDIT: Except of course "Mr. Picasso" :lol

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #2656 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:10 PM »
No need to mention the actual handles, but do they have accounts? I do not recall ever having seen a post aside from Rena.
EDIT: Except of course "Mr. Picasso" :lol
Please explain who is this Mr. Picasso  :\
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2657 on: July 21, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
Charlie Dominici. He used to post here, with hilarious results.

EDIT: Wow, I just found Charlie's Facebook account. He looks totally different these days.  :eek

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2658 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:30 AM »

-James LaBrie would like to play The Ministry of Lost Souls
Yay!

Disappear
Meh.

and Take the Time
Yay!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2659 on: July 22, 2015, 05:35:24 AM »

-James LaBrie would like to play The Ministry of Lost Souls
Meh.

Disappear
Yay!

and Take the Time
OK
FFTY
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.