Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 490544 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #2135 on: June 10, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »
I think that Eve, Hell's Kitchen, Space Dye-Vest, and Raw Dog all suffer from the same problem, in that they feel like outlines or rough sketches of songs, but not really complete compositions.
??? ??? ???

I get Raw Dog, but those other three are definitely complete.

I wouldn't call Hell's Kitchen a complete song. It's the instrumental section that was taken out of Buring my Soul with an ending added just so it can segue into Lines in the Sand. It wasn't originally intended to be a full, standalone song.

It wasn't originally intended to be a full standalone song, but they turned it into one by completing it. All of those listed songs are complete songs. I don't understand this argument at all.

Also, you people have no souls. Hell's Kitchen is beautiful.

I agree with this, personal opinion on the song aside, it did end up being a complete song even though it was not meant to be.  I also do like this, but I think I like Raw Dog better  :lol  Got to keep the Raw Dog talk going  :biggrin:

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #2136 on: June 10, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »
So, given the last two album titles and track lists were announced in June of their respective years (and DT seems to be on the same schedule considering Jordan stating a few months ago that they're expecting a september release), should we be expecting some info in the coming days/weeks?
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released through my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios
www.starcommandstudios.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2137 on: June 10, 2015, 11:32:59 AM »
No.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2138 on: June 10, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
I would say its possible for a slight snippet of info during one of their shows this summer, something along the lines of "we are working on a new album that we hope to have out in early 2016" or something like that, but I doubt anything more and even that may be a long shot.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #2139 on: June 10, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
We need to start a prediction thread.  What date will DT give an update on the new album?  Whoever guesses the closest date could win ...  Some.. Kudos or something.  :P
Signature

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2140 on: June 10, 2015, 08:32:05 PM »
I think if Hell's Kitchen is left off of the next tour Dream Theater should get a thousand paper cuts.

It hasn't been played live since the late 90s and even then it was only for a few shows so we have no real good bootleg of it and definitely no official live version.

Also, it's totally complete, it has a nice intro bit, a beefy middle, and a majestic ending.  There are no cut/paste moments like in The Dance of Eternity or Raw Dog.  Taking Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul was a brilliant move by DT.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2141 on: June 10, 2015, 11:12:03 PM »
Taking Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul was a brilliant move by DT.

IIRC that move was made by Kevin Shirley. But yeah, that was brilliant move anyways.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2142 on: June 11, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »
To me, that part of the song is a really cool, ingenious device for conveying the point of that step of the 12 step program in a unique and personal way.  Unfortunately, to me (and I think many others), it just isn't something that is interesting to listen to repeatedly as part of a song.  I still think it is really cool.  But the novelty wore off after the first few listens, and I just do not feel like it is enjoyable to actually sit and listen to.  It makes the song just feel too long and drawn out, and it just seems to plod and meander.  It is a case of "brilliant concept that falls flat in the execution."  That is why, although there is nothing that I actively dislike about the song and plenty that I do like, it still ranks VERY low for me and doesn't have a lot of replay-ability.
I agree with all of that.

Also, the intro is too long.

The actual song is pretty great.

All of this. These are the reasons I think the Flying Colors version is waaay better.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2143 on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:04 PM »
I think if Hell's Kitchen is left off of the next tour Dream Theater should get a thousand paper cuts.

It hasn't been played live since the late 90s and even then it was only for a few shows so we have no real good bootleg of it and definitely no official live version.

Also, it's totally complete, it has a nice intro bit, a beefy middle, and a majestic ending.  There are no cut/paste moments like in The Dance of Eternity or Raw Dog.  Taking Hell's Kitchen out of Burning My Soul was a brilliant move by DT.

No, it was played on the Six Degrees tour. Plus there are much more glaring omissions in the recent set lists.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2144 on: June 11, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »

Plus there are much more glaring omissions in the recent set lists.

My wish list includes but is not limited to:

- Behind the Veil
- The Glass Prison
- A Change of Seasons
- Blind Faith
- Misunderstood
- Learning to Live
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 01:20:47 PM by gmillerdrake »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2145 on: June 11, 2015, 01:14:30 PM »

No, it was played on the Six Degrees tour.
Hell's Kitchen was not played on the Six Degrees tour.

The outro from Hell's Kitchen was used as the outro of the Instrumedley, which was played on the Six Degrees tour (and once on the TOT tour, at Budokan).

The song itself has only been performed by Dream Theater 4 times, all in December of 1998.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2146 on: June 11, 2015, 02:48:51 PM »

It hasn't been played live since the late 90s

No, it was played on the Six Degrees tour.

The song itself has only been performed by Dream Theater 4 times, all in December of 1998.

One of the best DT shows I've been to, included the live debut of Where Are You Now.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2147 on: June 11, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
This thread is in a serious need of a renaming.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2148 on: June 11, 2015, 04:01:06 PM »
This thread is in a serious need of a renaming.
How did I do?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Dream Theater was allegedly in the Studio February - To Be Continued
« Reply #2149 on: June 11, 2015, 04:34:04 PM »
:lol

Perfect.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2150 on: June 11, 2015, 04:42:47 PM »
 :lol

Your hired!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2151 on: June 11, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »
you made me think there was news  :-[
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2152 on: June 11, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »

The outro from Hell's Kitchen was used as the outro of the Instrumedley, which was played on the Six Degrees tour (and once on the TOT tour, at Budokan).

That is mind boggling to me.  For a band that has long been damn good at catering to the fans, to ignore a song, that is beloved by most of the fanbase, for this long is pretty unbelievable. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2153 on: June 11, 2015, 06:24:54 PM »
It is?

Maybe the band/MP was never really satisfied with the final version, still possibly viewing it as an incomplete piece?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2154 on: June 11, 2015, 06:29:21 PM »
Eh, personally, I think it was kind of arrogant confidence on Portnoy's part (him being the writer of the set list for every tour from FII through BC&SL), like, "We had it right the first time (the Burning My Soul demo), so we didn't need someone else to tell us what to do."  Playing it would be like admitting that someone else knew better than them how to make a song of theirs great.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 06:37:01 PM by KevShmev »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2155 on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:29 PM »
Right, that's what I was getting at.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2156 on: June 11, 2015, 06:39:03 PM »

That is mind boggling to me.  For a band that has long been damn good at catering to the fans, to ignore a song, that is beloved by most of the fanbase, for this long is pretty unbelievable. 

???  That would seem to imply that there are more than a handful of people that like the song, wouldn't it?  I don't believe that is the case.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2157 on: June 11, 2015, 06:41:48 PM »
I don't know that it's universally loved or anything, but I've honestly hardly ever seen anyone other than you express dislike for it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2158 on: June 11, 2015, 06:48:04 PM »
I don't know that it's universally loved or anything, but I've honestly hardly ever seen anyone other than you express dislike for it.

I wouldn't say I dislike it.  I just don't find anything likeable about it.  It is hard for me to understand why it was released as a standalone song by a band who plays such complex music, since it just repeats the same 4 notes over and over and over for 10 minutes or however interminably long it drags on.  Yeah, that makes it easy for JP to throw down some tasty soloing over the same notes.  But I just don't need to hear a solo stretched out over the same 4 notes for so long without going anywhere. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2159 on: June 11, 2015, 06:50:53 PM »
I'm kinda with you Bosk on this one. I have never gotten the love for Hell's Kitchen. I think it speaks to the overall weakness of FII.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2160 on: June 11, 2015, 07:13:46 PM »
I love Hell's Kitchen. It's a rare DT instrumental that convinces through its simplicity. Essentially a good jam.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2161 on: June 11, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »
Hell's Kitchen is great. I love the mellow atmosphere. It's just a nice, calm piece.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2162 on: June 11, 2015, 07:27:57 PM »
It is hard for me to understand why it was released as a standalone song by a band who plays such complex music, since it just repeats the same 4 notes over and over and over for 10 minutes or however interminably long it drags on.

The entire song is 4:22, the 4 note pattern starts at 3:18

bit of an exaggeration  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2163 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:57 PM »

That. I wouldn't say it's close to universally loved, nor loathed. I think it's middle of the road as far as fan response goes. I'd love to hear them bust it out though. It worked so nicely in the Instrumedley.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2164 on: June 11, 2015, 11:09:56 PM »
We desperately need new album news. Desperately.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2165 on: June 12, 2015, 12:23:12 AM »
Hell's Kitchen coherently goes from psychedelia to prog rock to heavy prog rock to epic prog metal in barely over four minutes.  One of the best mixed DT songs too (the bass is nice and loud).
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline James Mypetgiress

• Call me Dani. I have grown to hate this username.
« Reply #2166 on: June 12, 2015, 02:08:11 AM »
Hell's Kitchen coherently goes from psychedelia to prog rock to heavy prog rock to epic prog metal in barely over four minutes.  One of the best mixed DT songs too (the bass is nice and loud).
Have we given up talking about a new album and just started talking about random, unrelated songs?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: June 12, 2015, 02:15:52 AM »
Have we given up talking about a new album and just started talking about random, unrelated songs?

Welcome to the last 50 pages :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2168 on: June 12, 2015, 02:21:40 AM »
It's either discuss random songs, or discuss nothing and lock the thread.

You know, I think you might be onto something here.......
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: June 12, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »
So how good is sandstorm - Darude?