Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488008 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1785 on: May 22, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »

SH: Can we expect that with the other album anniversaries, that we’ll be seeing similar performances of those albums?

MP: No – I mean every year we could say it’s the anniversary of something. This year is the tenth anniversary of Awake, and we already celebrated the tenth anniversary of Images and Words. That’s not to say that special things like this won’t pop up from time to time, because anything is possible. But When Dream and Day Unite was a special anniversary, because that was something that everyone had always wanted to see performed with the current line-up. So it made sense to celebrate that.

SH: What about the Majesty demos in that case?

MP: <laughs> When I ran this idea by the band, and said “we’ll do Dream and Day complete,” it was delivered with the promise “Don’t worry, we’re not gonna do the Majesty demos in 2006!”

But they DID play Another Won in 2005 and 2006, so anything is possible.  Plus, I recall JP commenting that now having performed the song that it still sounded like DT and fit fine in a live show.   Meaning, after hearing it with the current lineup, it wasn't so bad after all.  So I'm just hoping another Majesty track makes an appearance (even if a limited number of shows) for the 30th anniversary.   

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1786 on: May 22, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
Well to be blunt, because the Haken demos kinda.... don't suck.

I haven't heard them, but I am skeptical of this statement.  ...unless of course they are written and performed by some band other than Haken.

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1787 on: May 22, 2015, 04:37:53 PM »
I guess I think more of Haken's demos than you do.

I think it was a neat idea for a relatively young band to do.  I think it would be a little...I don't know, "pathetic" isn't the right word, but it isn't 100% wrong, either...for a band like DT.
I get that it would be pathetic if DT redid the songs just as their next album. But as tracks on a bonus CD for a deluxe package, how does that come across as pathetic or anything related? I fail to see your logic.

And let's consider that some of the songs were never recorded completely - especially the 1987 demos. I think Cry For Freedom could be cool given a major update, as could The School Song, which never was even completed instrumentally, let alone lyrically.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1788 on: May 22, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »
I think most of the time, demos that stayed just demos, stayed that way for a reason; they weren't that good in the first place.  Another Won was okay and had some nice moments, but everything on WDADU is better, and I'm not sure I'd want to see them waste time on demos from when they were 18 or 19, when they could likely write tons of better songs nowadays that they could play.  I get that some fans want to see every note they ever played end up on a live DVD somewhere, but most fans don't.  Like others have said, the number of fans who give two shits about the majesty demos is probably like 0.0001% of the fan base.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1789 on: May 22, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »
Nothing from any of the DT demos or tracks that got cut from some of the albums comes close to any of the three tracks on Haken's 'Restoration'. I would say leave the DT demos to oblivion and work out some new stuff instead.

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #1790 on: May 22, 2015, 05:09:29 PM »
Majesty Demos are better than a few DT albums IMO :D :lol:, i love old stuff <3.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1791 on: May 22, 2015, 05:11:07 PM »
Nothing from any of the DT demos or tracks that got cut from some of the albums comes close to any of the three tracks on Haken's 'Restoration'. I would say leave the DT demos to oblivion and work out some new stuff instead.

Now THAT is apples and oranges....completely.   What do you think of the Majesty Demos compared to "Enter the 5th Dimension"?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1792 on: May 22, 2015, 06:22:10 PM »

Now THAT is apples and oranges....completely.   What do you think of the Majesty Demos compared to "Enter the 5th Dimension"?

If you remove the growling in Enter the 5th Dimension, the songs are actually pretty good. The Majesty demos are pretty dated to be resurrected at this time.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #1793 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »
I think there are *A LOT* of DT fans who think that there are some great ideas in the Majesty Demos, but the quality of the recordings make them a little difficult to listen to.   A Vision in particular is fairly widely praised as being a pretty cool song.

Plus (as Haken did), you don't have to take every single idea.    Again....we're not talking about a straight up re-record.   Haken's idea was better.   Take the ideas and completely re-write them from the ground up with new member input.      I think Haken's demos were just like the Majesty demos.   Good ideas, but poor sound quality and a relatively "unfinished" feel to them.    Restoration really breathed new life into the old ideas and I think the Majesty demos would benefit from the same treatment.

As far as demos go, I couldn't really expect the band to prioritize something like this. But I do believe a decent chunk of DTs fan base would completely dig that kind of thing. So if they ever did something like re-record some of the old majesty demos (or even WDADU) I hope I speak for large enough chunk of the fans to say that would be pretty damn cool. (I guess so long as it doesn't interfere with touring or current album studio time).

Maybe the reason this continually interests some people is because those majesty demos actually sound like they've got a lot of potential, and I don't think they're necessarily inferior to anything on say; WDADU. But their presentation is abysmal to the point that it brings the general quality and overall impression down. At least WDADU still has replay value as the quality is listenable despite being otherwise unimpressive sonically. Unlike Majesty demos which while interesting, aren't particularly pleasing to listen to it. As far as the compositions go, it might not be as 'mature' from a songwriting perspective but I would suggest that people would connect with the melodies and progressions a lot more over time (in the way that many DT songs tend to be 'growers') before dismissing them - if these tracks were properly produced. As they are, they're not very accessible to most listeners and require effort to appreciate. But relevant or not, either way these songs could definitely benefit from some remakes.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:39:59 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1794 on: May 23, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »

I blame my drunkness.

Et5D is miles and miles better. If 'Cleaning Out the Closet' was included, then Speak to Me or Raise the Knife would perhaps get closer and maybe beat Manifest. But overall, Et5D is much better than any of DT's demos or cut songs.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1795 on: May 23, 2015, 02:22:48 AM »
If you remove the growling in Enter the 5th Dimension, the songs are actually pretty good.

I disagree. The lack of harsh vocals is one of the issues I have with Restoration.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1796 on: May 23, 2015, 03:29:35 AM »
If you remove the growling in Enter the 5th Dimension, the songs are actually pretty good.

I disagree. The lack of harsh vocals is one of the issues I have with Restoration.

Really? You like the growling Ross Jennings? It's one element that I am happy they removed, which made me enjoy the Haken records after Aquarius.

Offline me7

« Reply #1797 on: May 23, 2015, 04:41:45 AM »
I'm all for diversity. Adding harsh vocals into the mix to make heavy passages even heavier is a nice.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1798 on: May 23, 2015, 04:55:22 AM »

Really? You like the growling Ross Jennings? It's one element that I am happy they removed, which made me enjoy the Haken records after Aquarius.
Me too.

A key point in the discussion of the Majesty Demos is the fact that no one in the band has ever given a wet fart about them except MP, and he is gone.  Given how many times JP has mentioned wanting to move forward, it would seem to be a moot point.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1799 on: May 23, 2015, 09:20:13 AM »

Me too.

A key point in the discussion of the Majesty Demos is the fact that no one in the band has ever given a wet fart about them except MP, and he is gone.  Given how many times JP has mentioned wanting to move forward, it would seem to be a moot point.

I think the fact that the band played nothing off the demos except for a few times for nostalgic purposes (a few one off times and the 20th anniversary tour) proves that they don't think much of them. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1800 on: May 23, 2015, 09:44:24 AM »

Me too.

Yeah. Including Another Won in Score was a great decision, but that's as far as it should get.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1801 on: May 23, 2015, 10:12:39 AM »
Do you guys think that they will ever produce a new album on a level equal to Awake or SFAM?
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1802 on: May 23, 2015, 10:28:15 AM »
Do you guys think that they will ever produce a new album on a level equal to Awake or SFAM?

Being on the same level as those two would imply that those two are my favorite, which they aren't :P It's subjective, but from my POV, absolutely. They're still more than capable of producing something that transcends their previous work, it's just about being in the right creative frame of mind.

Generally speaking, I don't think they'll ever make something as widely well-received as SFAM.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1803 on: May 23, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
Anything is possible, but I don't expect it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1804 on: May 23, 2015, 11:55:12 AM »
Indeed, I think it's best to keep it to a "let's hope so"-level.
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1805 on: May 23, 2015, 12:33:11 PM »

Me too.

Yeah. Including Another Won in Score was a great decision, but that's as far as it should get.
Because you heard Another Won in that lineup and it sounded pretty darn cool?  Why not March of the Tyrant? or Too Far?  I bet those songs would work out better than people expect, or even kinda awesome.  Plus its a treat to the hardcore fans.  Plus its a humbling way of appreciating their own career.  30 years is a long time for a band to endure.  Whether we embrace it or not, those demos are a part of the fabric of the band.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1806 on: May 23, 2015, 01:28:24 PM »
Based on the last few pages in this thread, we REALLY need DT to say something or show us something about the new album.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1807 on: May 23, 2015, 03:06:37 PM »
Based on the last few pages in this thread, we REALLY need DT to say something or show us something about the new album.

:lol Yesterday I was going to post 52 pages of nothing, but did not want to come across as being negative.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1808 on: May 23, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »

:lol Yesterday I was going to post 52 pages of nothing, but did not want to come across as being negative.

How is that negative? I think we are really quite mild, actually. On the westeros.org forum they have spend so far 142 THREADS (30 pages each) on the discussion of one single theory/rumor (to the book/show fans, you know which one). Now, that's impressive bordering on concerning  :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1809 on: May 23, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
I must assume that DT are following some grand master plan with this, since I really don't see this working on their favor.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1810 on: May 24, 2015, 01:35:12 AM »
I must assume that DT are following some grand master plan with this, since I really don't see this working on their favor.

Hope so, too. On the other hand, it brings us back to a time when we didn't have any news and that the joy when having a new cd was all the more important. Hope the JR's comment "something we haven't done before" is true nonetheless.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1811 on: May 24, 2015, 02:06:39 AM »
Triple album :neverusethis:

Offline me7

« Reply #1812 on: May 24, 2015, 02:40:46 AM »
I'm still hoping for a BluRay akin to Metallica's "St. Anger Rehearsals".

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1813 on: May 24, 2015, 03:20:32 AM »

Being on the same level as those two would imply that those two are my favorite, which they aren't :P It's subjective, but from my POV, absolutely. They're still more than capable of producing something that transcends their previous work, it's just about being in the right creative frame of mind.

Generally speaking, I don't think they'll ever make something as widely well-received as SFAM.
Indeed. Reaching the universal acclaim of Scenes again seems impossible, but I'll take DT12 over Awake any day.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 04:08:44 AM by Sycsa »

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: May 24, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
I'm still hoping for a BluRay akin to Metallica's "St. Anger Rehearsals".

Yes. i can't imagine it being very costly to film edit . Just the mass production of it. But it's Roadrunner. I'm sure they can afford it.

I want another Documentary like Chaos In Progress or something. ADTOE had the drummer doc but DT12 had nothing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1815 on: May 24, 2015, 10:45:03 AM »
I think it's funny when people post some version of "I don't know why fans would want DT to rerecord X, it just isn't very good."

If there's enough people talking about it for you to make that post, then obviously people think it's good.  They want it re-recorded because the quality of the Majesty Demos and WDADU is pretty lackluster.  And they want to hear JLB sing the songs.  I know I'm explaining the obvious, but it seems like it's not understood.  I&W is over 20 years old but no one wants it re-recorded because the quality of the record is great.

Just speaking for myself, Another Won is one of the only things I really listen to off of Score, because it's a great recording of a cool song.  If they released a live version of, say, Two Far, I'd be all over that.  That song is great.

Also, people bring up WDADRU a lot.  It's not that great a product.  If the record's supposed to be the "definitive" re-recording, then why do I enjoy AFIL and TKH from LATM more?  Why do I enjoy Afterlife from Score more?  On WDADRU, JLB is very off (his throat injury isn't his fault, just stating my opinion) and the performances feel very loose.  I always want more when I hear it.  To its credit, OAMT is really good though.

This is all opinion and if you still disagree then whatever.  But I don't understand how people can be like "lol people who want DT to re-record their old material."  The desire comes from a genuine place.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1816 on: May 24, 2015, 11:07:44 AM »

Hey.... I made that gif... Where'd you find it?

And also, this thread is the DT hiatus thread. We're going crazy.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1817 on: May 24, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure I just googled something like "john eyeroll," and grabbed it from the Google Image results. Gotta be pretty careful with HS-related searches these days.

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1818 on: May 24, 2015, 01:13:41 PM »
I think it's funny when people post some version of "I don't know why fans would want DT to rerecord X, it just isn't very good."

If there's enough people talking about it for you to make that post, then obviously people think it's good.  They want it re-recorded because the quality of the Majesty Demos and WDADU is pretty lackluster.  And they want to hear JLB sing the songs.  I know I'm explaining the obvious, but it seems like it's not understood.  I&W is over 20 years old but no one wants it re-recorded because the quality of the record is great.

Just speaking for myself, Another Won is one of the only things I really listen to off of Score, because it's a great recording of a cool song.  If they released a live version of, say, Two Far, I'd be all over that.  That song is great.

Also, people bring up WDADRU a lot.  It's not that great a product.  If the record's supposed to be the "definitive" re-recording, then why do I enjoy AFIL and TKH from LATM more?  Why do I enjoy Afterlife from Score more?  On WDADRU, JLB is very off (his throat injury isn't his fault, just stating my opinion) and the performances feel very loose.  I always want more when I hear it.  To its credit, OAMT is really good though.

This is all opinion and if you still disagree then whatever.  But I don't understand how people can be like "lol people who want DT to re-record their old material."  The desire comes from a genuine place.

Thank you :) It's nice reading that after having my desire squashed by the all-knowing DTF veterans :P Speaking of desires...

Triple album :neverusethis:

OHGODYES
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1819 on: May 24, 2015, 01:20:20 PM »
HEY EVERYONE !! IT'S TIME FOR :

" What Would Dream Theater name their 13th album if it was a triple concept album ? "

Metropolis Part III : Scenes From A Trilogy :neverusethis: