Author Topic: Dream Theater entered the studio in February v. No News is Good News  (Read 488044 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Dream Theater in the Studio February
« Reply #1155 on: March 30, 2015, 09:39:23 AM »
I agree of course with Blob that if there actually were any news from the studio, we'd likely be discussing that instead. But since there isn't any, this is fair game too.

If we do the Christmas gift thing again, I hope I get you.  I'm sending you a year subscription to Glamour magazine.   ;)    ;D    I kid I kid of course. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1156 on: March 30, 2015, 10:24:11 AM »
If the band genuinely have their hair and clothes based on what each of them individually wants and likes, then that's cool. I can't dispute Rumby's point that the "metal" image stepped up a lot when they joined RR and hasn't really decreased much since.

I mean, obviously we will never know for sure, but I thought the distinct switch in looks when they signed with RR, and the fact that MM suddenly had clearly-dyed, straight hair the moment he joined DT, I think strongly suggests that DT has a specific image in mind they're trying to maintain.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline GandL

« Reply #1157 on: March 30, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
When it comes to sounds, JP is a very meat-and-potato kind of guy. Delay and chorus, that's usually it.

It's better that way, IMO. JP has a very distinguishable sound. If the tone is processed too much, it starts to lose some of that individuality.

Speaking of tones, if I ever meet him I want to ask him about some of the equipment he's used in the past. I'd probably be the first person to ever ask him "How did you get your WDADU tone?"

EDIT: I read that he used a B.C Rich guitar and some Ibanez's, but he doesn't know what amp he used. Damn...

Doesn't remember or doesn't want to remember ? I can recall all the equipment I used ...

Anyway, I do the same, over the years I learned to remove a lot of stuff from my gear and I'm mostly left with delay, chorus and Wah.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: March 30, 2015, 06:44:20 PM »
Greetings from the studio-where we are busy writing this album!!

https://twitter.com/Jcrudess/status/582697284326047744

8 weeks in the studio and still writing? I wonder if they decided to postpone a US tour to devote more time to the album. IIRC most of their recent output has been written in 2 months or less.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: March 30, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
I like Jordan's taste in live Dvds  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1160 on: March 30, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »
It could mean it's a double CD.    :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1161 on: March 30, 2015, 09:22:21 PM »

For the record, I don't like JP's beard at all. It doesn't even remotely affect my opinion of their music, but personally I don't think it looks good.

That seems to be a trend in the last few years.  Guys growing their beards so thick that it looks like it hasn't been cut in years.  Pretty stupid look if you ask me, on just about anybody, but to each his own.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1162 on: March 30, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
THIS

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1163 on: March 30, 2015, 09:53:42 PM »

Speaking of tones, if I ever meet him I want to ask him about some of the equipment he's used in the past. I'd probably be the first person to ever ask him "How did you get your WDADU tone?"

EDIT: I read that he used a B.C Rich guitar and some Ibanez's, but he doesn't know what amp he used. Damn...

He says in the WDaDR commentary he used a Randall solid state amp. That's all I got.

THIS

Is that EVH? Live Without A Net?
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1164 on: March 31, 2015, 04:00:26 AM »
Pretty sure it is. As a matter of fact, a screen shot of that face was my avatar for like 3 years.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1165 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:27 AM »
Yup.........the beginning of Why can't This Be Love with Ed on keys (which were piped in for most of their subsequent tours)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1166 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:32 AM »
8 weeks in the studio and still writing? I wonder if they decided to postpone a US tour to devote more time to the album. IIRC most of their recent output has been written in 2 months or less.
It could mean they're taking their time with the writing, maybe they will release the album at the beginning of 2016, which would be a welcome change from them releasing an album every two years. I'm probably saying that because I wasn't that impressed with DT12, otherwise I wouldn't mind them following the trend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: March 31, 2015, 05:04:28 AM »
If this next album takes them longer than usual and isn't released til Spring next year - it won't matter in the slightest if it turns out to be one of

the best they've done.

I think we've been spoiled slightly with expecting an album every other year.

Therapy? rushed out an album in 2006 and have since said that they weren't happy with it and since then have taken 3 years per album.

( and the first album they released after the 2006 one was one of their very best ).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1168 on: March 31, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »
Greetings from the studio-where we are busy writing this album!!

https://twitter.com/Jcrudess/status/582697284326047744

What is that guy on the screen doing? Operating a mixing board, or playing a key instrument?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1169 on: March 31, 2015, 07:59:50 AM »
That's Eddie Van Halen playing a keyboard from a concert in 1986 or so.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: March 31, 2015, 08:00:17 AM »
See above rumbo - it's EVH on the Van Halen Live Without A Net DVD.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: March 31, 2015, 08:13:01 AM »
Nice, we'll get a bonus cover CD with Jump and Hot For Teacher then.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1172 on: March 31, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
Next album is Nightmare Cinema with JP on keyboards making the same silly face as EVH. :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1173 on: March 31, 2015, 10:01:44 AM »
JR's got a problem with image editing apps.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1174 on: March 31, 2015, 11:08:38 AM »
It would be cool if Roth-era Van Halen was in the inspiration corner (which may no longer exist, R.I.P. since MP's departure).

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1175 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:30 AM »
Eddie Van Halen on August 27th, 1986 in New Haven, Connecticut at the New Haven Coliseum playing Why Can't This Be Love on the Live Without A Net VHS/DVD

Thank you Good Night
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #1176 on: March 31, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »
See above rumbo - it's EVH on the Van Halen Live Without A Net DVD.

I shit my pants every time I see what Sammy did during Ain´t Talking About Love in that concert.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1177 on: March 31, 2015, 12:09:10 PM »
One slip and the Van Halen story could have forever been changed  :lol
He did that on every show too I think

Here's another one. Starts at 4:40 and ends at 5:28
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mnC0tEAeH8
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1178 on: March 31, 2015, 12:51:25 PM »
Eddie Van Halen on August 27th, 1986 in New Haven, Connecticut at the New Haven Coliseum playing Why Can't This Be Love on the Live Without A Net VHS/DVD

Thank you Good Night

New HALEN
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1179 on: March 31, 2015, 03:04:34 PM »
"We are renaming this town. This is now New Halen. NEW HALEN!!!! Now dig it, every time someone up here yells 5150, all you have to do is go nuts, because 5150 is a police code for someone who is crazy, flipped out. We got 12,000 5150s here tonight. Ow! 5150!!! It's a hot summer night, Edward, c'mob baby."

God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
« Reply #1180 on: March 31, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
From JR's fb account:

"Today's pic from the studio:"

Did JP cut his hair, or is just the edited photo that is playing tricks?  :o

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1181 on: March 31, 2015, 03:43:06 PM »
From JR's fb account:

"Today's pic from the studio:"

Did JP cut his hair, or is just the edited photo that is playing tricks?  :o

I think he has it in a pony tail. ;)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1182 on: March 31, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
It would be cool if Roth-era Van Halen was in the inspiration corner (which may no longer exist, R.I.P. since MP's departure).

Never gonna happen, but that would be badass. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1183 on: March 31, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »
What specifically about the Roth era? The aggressive and angry guitar tone on Fair Warning was what came to my mind
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1184 on: March 31, 2015, 05:58:19 PM »
I can't wait to see JR's Jack Daniels keytar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: March 31, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
I just wish JR would upload a fucking picture without some shit all over it.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1186 on: March 31, 2015, 06:06:15 PM »
I can't wait to see JR's Jack Daniels keytar.
Myung can have the Tabasco bass
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nest777

« Reply #1187 on: March 31, 2015, 06:21:00 PM »
Idk if this has been posted...

Progressive rock titans Dream Theater are currently hard at work on album number 13, which is due in September – but the groundwork for the album goes surprisingly far back. “The process started two years ago,” says guitarist John Petrucci. “The seed was planted during the promo trip for the previous album, in August 2013, and it’s something that we started to work on a little bit on the road from last January.”

Petrucci and keyboard player Jordan Rudess began putting the songs together in November 2014, with sessions beginning this February. Petrucci is remaining tight-lipped about the direction for now. “We don’t like to reveal anything this early,” he says. “And the reason is because it’s fun to do that! I think it makes it more interesting as it gets closer and you finally start to hear about it, as opposed to a built-up type of thing. We still write albums, as apposed to singles, with the mindset that people will listen to it like they’re sitting down to watch a movie. You don’t watch the first seven minutes – you sit down and watch a movie from beginning to end.”

Petrucci’s songwriting demos begin in a very stripped-down form, often as simply as an iPhone recording. “It could be as crude as me singing an idea, or playing my guitar amplified or unplugged – however an idea occurs,” he says. “Jordan does the same. Then it’s a matter of sifting through, figuring out what’s usable and what’s not. When we write together like that we focus more on what the vocal sections are, main themes… sometimes we’ll go off into instrumental parts but we save a lot of that for when we’re all together and we can jam it out.”

Source: Guitar World - April 2015

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1188 on: March 31, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »
I wonder if he's putting effects on the pictures so we can't ninja search any fine details that may or may not be written on pieces of paper  :lol The laptop looks really cool in that most recent picture. It's like a portal to another dimension. I don't really mind all the effects, really. They look cool and stuff.
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1189 on: March 31, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »
Idk if this has been posted...

Progressive rock titans Dream Theater are currently hard at work on album number 13, which is due in September – but the groundwork for the album goes surprisingly far back. “The process started two years ago,” says guitarist John Petrucci. “The seed was planted during the promo trip for the previous album, in August 2013, and it’s something that we started to work on a little bit on the road from last January.”

Petrucci and keyboard player Jordan Rudess began putting the songs together in November 2014, with sessions beginning this February. Petrucci is remaining tight-lipped about the direction for now. “We don’t like to reveal anything this early,” he says. “And the reason is because it’s fun to do that! I think it makes it more interesting as it gets closer and you finally start to hear about it, as opposed to a built-up type of thing. We still write albums, as apposed to singles, with the mindset that people will listen to it like they’re sitting down to watch a movie. You don’t watch the first seven minutes – you sit down and watch a movie from beginning to end.”

Petrucci’s songwriting demos begin in a very stripped-down form, often as simply as an iPhone recording. “It could be as crude as me singing an idea, or playing my guitar amplified or unplugged – however an idea occurs,” he says. “Jordan does the same. Then it’s a matter of sifting through, figuring out what’s usable and what’s not. When we write together like that we focus more on what the vocal sections are, main themes… sometimes we’ll go off into instrumental parts but we save a lot of that for when we’re all together and we can jam it out.”

Source: Guitar World - April 2015
Due in September? My lord... Also, that other info sounds amazing. I have a feeling that the easter egg at the end of IT is going to be some sort of recurring theme on the new album.