Author Topic: Starbucks Secret Menu  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Starbucks Secret Menu
« on: December 27, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
Has anyone ever ordered anything from the Starbucks secret menu?  If so, what was it?  If you're unaware of it, Google it. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Starbucks Secret Menu
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:04:52 AM »
I was recently made aware of the "Chunkin", which is half Vanilla Chai Latte, half Pumpkin spice. Very tasty.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:14:53 AM »
A secret menu is irrelevant since Starbucks will make any drink you describe anyway.

Some guy asked for an Egg Nog latte with Chai syrup in it. he called it a Chegnog. My supervisor made one himself and said it was foul :p

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 09:45:51 AM »
I agree. Even though Starbucks has the well-known list of options on display, those people's job description is still "barista", and that means they create the drink manually, for you. That then obviously means they can create whatever they have the ingredients for.

A friend of mine (he's Jewish) always gets what he calls a "Jew latte". He actually orders a double dopio over ice in a grande cup, and then goes to the condiments section and fills it up with milk. It's the same as a latte, but cheaper.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
:lol @ rumby
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
As long as it doesn't have this in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMiPjnNF7Dc
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 10:16:34 AM »
I agree. Even though Starbucks has the well-known list of options on display, those people's job description is still "barista", and that means they create the drink manually, for you. That then obviously means they can create whatever they have the ingredients for.

A friend of mine (he's Jewish) always gets what he calls a "Jew latte". He actually orders a double dopio over ice in a grande cup, and then goes to the condiments section and fills it up with milk. It's the same as a latte, but cheaper.

That reminds me of when a friend of mine worked in a bar and he would give me a "special" pepsi.

Because a pint of soda water was free - I got him to do me a shot of pepsi syrup in a pint of soda water and charge me the 30p for the shot.

30p for a pepsi !

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
 :rollin Holy shit. This sounds like something a fedora-toting, scarf-flowing, non-prescription-glasses-wearing scrawny rat-kid would beat off to (NOT THAT THERE'S ANYTHING WRONG WITH ANY OF THAT). That's awesome.

...secret menu... Pshaw!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
I actually don't get why people order double espresso for like £2 when you can get an Americano for a few pennies more and it's a full size drink.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2014, 10:32:46 AM »
If you have to ask then you'll never understand.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »
In different regions and states here in the US you ask for coffee different ways.  I'm a DD guy and always order a medium regular which is cream and sugar.  one state over they look at you weird when you order it that way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 10:36:57 AM »
I'm very flexible. Right now I am drinking a Pumpkin Latte from Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf... but I can do anything from shots of espresso to straight strong n black to fancy ass lattes and what not. As long as it's coffee : :biggrin:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »

I'm sorry i didn't realise you were a woman.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 10:41:58 AM »

I'm sorry i didn't realise you were a woman.

He did not order a Lemongrass Tea.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 10:56:42 AM »
I did have a shot of Wheatgrass a week ago.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
Con Panna, not that many of their servers seem to know one of the single most classic espresso drinks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
What is it?

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 06:33:17 AM »
Con Panna? Espresso with whipped cream on top.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
Heard of it and it's on our big menu board too. :)

But nobody ever orders it.

We get a lot more, ie 100% more, espresso macchiato. Which is double espresso with foamed milk.

Just pay like 20p more and get a latte :p

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2014, 07:14:46 AM »
I actually vehemently hate coffee. It sucks ass. Makes your pee smell like fucking acidic bile too. But every single one of my ex's has loved it so I have to pretend I do. Just like every other facet of my life! Whatever. Blowjobs.

Cocaine does a much better job.

Just kidding.

Actually not at all. But now I'm boring and sober so y'know. Fuck. Off to brunch. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY HELL IN THE MORNING.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2014, 08:47:12 AM »
I could go for some Coffee right now.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »
Heard of it and it's on our big menu board too. :)

But nobody ever orders it.

We get a lot more, ie 100% more, espresso macchiato. Which is double espresso with foamed milk.

Just pay like 20p more and get a latte :p
Seriously? Get a latte instead of a con panna because it's better value? One is sweet and the other is a bitter base with sweet on the side. If you made that recommendation to me at a store I think I'd just give you a blank stare.

Yes, I see you're joking, but someone ordering con panna probably knows what they want. I order it, like at Starbucks, at places I don't trust straight espresso and think they can't properly serve a machiatto to save it. Con panna allows you to still get the straight shot and cut it down to taste as needed. I also order it sometimes because my daughter will enjoy the whipped cream so can share with a base drink I enjoy (the espresso near straight). ...same with a true machiatto.

Anyways, con panna is a nice option to have for people after the Italian/European espresso.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2014, 04:14:08 AM »
I actually don't get why people order double espresso for like £2 when you can get an Americano for a few pennies more and it's a full size drink.

Is this statement for real bro?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2014, 11:16:48 PM »
Oddly, never. I go to Starbucks very frequently, but their normal menu has always been good enough for me. We have another more local shop that specializes in coming up with crazy (syrupy sugary) combinations of syrups for lattes, and I tend to go there when Starbucks holiday drinks are in season.

Still, none of them compare to this other local spot (it's 20 minutes away from me but it's so worth it). They only have a few fairly pedestrian flavors (caramel, white chocolate, cinnamon, etc.) but their lattes are like velvet.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2014, 11:24:04 PM »
I've actually never ordered something from the secret menu myself.  I'm curious to try something different since I usually just wind up getting an icea tea, hot tea, or coffee.  I've never went crazy with the specialty drinks except for pumpkin stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2014, 04:00:47 AM »
Last night someone ordered a Toffee Nut Cream which isn't a usual drink.

We were out of blue and green milk due to a delivery error and so I made it with

half skimmed milk and half pouring cream.

I made one for myself afterwards and it was delicious :)

Basically a toffee nut latte with no espresso and cold milk / blended with ice.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
Still, none of them compare to this other local spot (it's 20 minutes away from me but it's so worth it). They only have a few fairly pedestrian flavors (caramel, white chocolate, cinnamon, etc.) but their lattes are like velvet.
It's some combination of two factors, barista skill and ingredients.

Barista skill: At all coffee shops your mileage will vary on drinks due to the baristas. For a latte, the foaming process isn't too hard, but it does require attention to detail. If a barista doesn't practice and taste for feedback they probably won't learn how to make the creamy foam you're talking about. Your small time shop is probably training their baristas in latte art, which is a symbol of proper latte foam creation, which the velvety texture your describing sounds right. I'm not going to describe the process, you can find it easily all over coffee websites, but at Starbucks I don't tend to see a barista even look like they're attempting to properly create latte milk/foam. They just heat the milk, take what foam gets created, and move on.

Look at the secret menu discussion, the focus is on them learning to make fancy sweet drinks, not become skilled at coffee drinks. Look at Kotowboy's dismissal of a con panna, that's ridiculous from a fine coffee standpoint, but at a sweet creations location it is a bit of a misplaced drink. My original post for con panna was partially a tongue-in-cheek jab at Starbucks, since it's a classic espresso drink that is often on the regular menu for coffee shop focused on Italian style cafe. Starbucks doesn't list it anywhere I know of (apparently his store does). Cafe machiatto (traditional or real machiatto) is on their secret menu, too, but don't order it, every Starbucks I've ordered it at the barista can't seem to grasp I don't want a sizable amount of milk poured in. Part of that is they don't know how to properly foam milk to even make a nice macchiato, that's why I tend towards con panna if I end up at Starbucks.

Ingredients: Starbucks is all about syrup. Your local shop may be, too, I don't know, but syrup thins out drinks built on foamed milk. Caramel is a great example, and a salted caramel mocha is an easy, fancy drink to make better than Starbucks at home. One reason is you can use caramel sauce and a chocolate powder/sauce. Even if you totally screw up the latte foaming process and make a bad espresso pull, the flavoring ingredients will create a great, thick texture and cover up all your faults. Watch your small shop, they may be using homemade ingredients or avoiding syrup, which can give your drink that thickness. Because they have limited options, this could very well be the case. Syrups give a ton of options for near free, but getting closer to using the raw flavoring takes more and more work for the baristas to learn the menu.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2014, 09:56:35 AM »
Awesome post. Read every word/would read again 10/10 etc.

But yeah, in all seriousness: I went to my local shop this morning and watched them very carefully to see how they do their stuff (I actually got an espresso maker for Christmas and am trying to learn how to make things the right way). The one major thing I noticed that other places around here don't do is she actually pressed the espresso grounds into the filter. I've never seen them do that at Starbucks, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention. I also noticed they use sauces exclusively, so no syrups at all, which definitely confirms your mentioning that syrups can thin out the drink. All of their baristas do latte art, but I was never aware that it could make a difference in how the drink comes out. I just thought it looked fancy. :p

And of course, as always, the drink was pure heaven.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »
I have preferred every single local coffee shop, in any city I go, to Starbucks.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 10:34:46 AM »
Yeah, your shop sounds like a place I would like.

The pressing grounds helps with the pressurized pull of espresso, you put about 5lbs into the center and light tap the edges in. They sell devices for it, but I just use a recycled prescription bottle. :lol I mostly use a moka pot at home, which is a similar process but varies from true espresso. In both cases you need to learn grind sizing, tamping the grounds, and how to start/stop a pull for best results. You're essentially creating a filter with which the water will be pushed through, unlike many other coffees in which the flavor is seeped out of the grind. It takes awhile to get results you like, but once you start finding the sweet spots at home you can start getting pretty critical of shops. :lol I'm not quite sure how Starbucks works, I've seem them use prepared cakes for espresso, which is almost sad, and bins at top that automatically grind and maybe fill the device. I have no idea what happens in the machines, whether it gets tamped or not. Never seems to come out right, so I don't think it's that important.

Enjoy your new machine, I personally think it's a lot of fun trying to learn the ins and outs of different coffee styles. There always seems to be more to learn and improve on. It's pretty fun once you start getting new coffees and can figure out how to adjust for each one to get better results. A decade ago I just thought coffee was coffee, now it kind of amazes me what you can do with it and how much variance there is.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 04:50:11 PM »
I'm always worried about going to a non-chain / franchise coffee shop and getting a coffee that tastes bad. Over steamed milk or burned beans etc.

I'd rather go somewhere I know i'm going to enjoy the drink I order.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 09:50:54 PM »
Coffee is great where I live.  Just not from Starbucks.  Starbucks seems to be a good for sweet drinks and stuff but for a good coffee you'll wanna just go to a cafe, and there are plenty of good ones.  I've never been satisfied with a coffee from Starbucks, but the secret menu sounds cool, I'd love to try some of it but they probably don't even do it over here.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2014, 07:16:27 AM »
I'm always worried about going to a non-chain / franchise coffee shop and getting a coffee that tastes bad. Over steamed milk or burned beans etc.

I'd rather go somewhere I know i'm going to enjoy the drink I order.
I understand that completely, and agree.  So if you enjoy the stuff at Starbucks, that works out great for you.

But I normally just order coffee, and I don't like Starbucks coffee.  So it is a last resort for me.

If I go to a chain place for coffee around here, it will be Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, or Sheetz.  They all have pretty good coffee.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.