Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.4  (Read 426980 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: What album are you listening to? v.4
« Reply #4970 on: January 05, 2016, 02:11:45 PM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4971 on: January 05, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
^^^^^

Classic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4972 on: January 05, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
Rush- Clockwork Angels

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4973 on: January 05, 2016, 08:03:44 PM »

This x 100

I have abused of this on Spotify since it was released.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4974 on: January 06, 2016, 02:42:56 AM »
Van Halen- A Different Kind of Truth

Offline Art

« Reply #4975 on: January 06, 2016, 04:07:11 AM »
I´m on a Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds week:

- Let Love In
- No More Shall We Part
- The Boatmans Call
- Push The Sky Away

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4976 on: January 06, 2016, 08:13:22 AM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4977 on: January 06, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
Van Halen- Live in Tokyo

Online Polarbear

« Reply #4978 on: January 06, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »
Baroness - Purple
Faith No More - Sol Invictus
The Night Flight Orchestra - Skyline Whispers

These could be my top.3 albums of last year..

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4979 on: January 06, 2016, 03:24:24 PM »
Avantasia - mystery of time

Edguy - space police

Banshee - mindslave

Takayoshi ohmura - emotions in motion

« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:34:31 PM by Lowdz »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4980 on: January 06, 2016, 04:10:19 PM »

This x 100

I have abused of this on Spotify since it was released.

I completely get that. It's brilliant. Do you prefer ASOH or Universal?

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4981 on: January 06, 2016, 04:11:39 PM »
Metal Church - the dark

Armoured Saint - la raza

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4982 on: January 06, 2016, 04:13:33 PM »
Metal Church - the dark

Armoured Saint - la raza

:metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #4983 on: January 06, 2016, 04:40:26 PM »

This is a bit difficult to get into because of the production... Some songs are fine, but others, I swear that fucking tone (maybe the guitars?) is making it sound like there is static in the background and it's killing me. I love the music, but that...I forget the word, the sound when the amp is turned up too much or...overloaded...I don't fuckin' know. I love it aside from that but it's a really weird choice of sound that sounds like they're just trying to add an edginess that ends up being grating to my ears and I really wish it wasn't there...I think I can get over it but uh...eh. Disappointing because like I said, the music itself is fantastic, but that harsh, very raw sound is odd... Another few spins and I'll probably be adapted, I just wish I didn't have to. Then again this might be an aspect I talked about in the 'best sounding albums' thread in which it becomes apart of the album's personality. That sound definitely reminds me of early Metallica. If this had come out while I was in highschool I'd have ZERO problem with it.  :lol

Finally getting around to listening to their albums pre-The Hunter and I really loved this one. Not nearly as much as The Hunter or OMRTS but it's brilliant. Now as I type this, onto...

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4984 on: January 06, 2016, 04:49:20 PM »
Crack the Skye :2metal:

Maybe I should check out The Hunter and such because I never gave Mastodon much of a chance other than CTS and a few other songs.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4985 on: January 06, 2016, 05:13:58 PM »
I absolutely love both their newest albums. I really like the vocals on those albums a lot more though, I'm really not fond at all of Brent's more 'sing-y' voice because it sounds a bit whiny to me. He shines a lot more when he's got that angry yell and it fits the music better, I think. There's definitely a good bit of the more clean vocals but tracks like Feast Your Eyes are THE reason I love the man's voice. It's just brutal without growling, it's fantastic. They've still got a hardcore sound but there's also a twist in the overall feel...it's tough to describe. I'd call the sound more refined. But I started with The Hunter and then OMRTS became my favorite and I'm just now starting with their older stuff so I'm clearly biased.

RIP DTP.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #4986 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:31 PM »
Mastodon is a band I would really like to get into since I love playing a few of their song on guitar, but it's hard to find the time to discover new bands atm.

Man this album didn't age well at all (and it's been just a few months). I mean, there are a few really good tracks (Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler, The Globalist) but the rest is just so boring and borderline cringey it made it really hard for me not to turn the album off. I liked it when it came out... what happened?  :\

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4987 on: January 06, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
I reeeaaally agree on both the good songs (though even still I hardly love them, not even) and the boring/cringe-worthy songs. It was an album that at first I liked it a good bit, then a couple more listens thought it was okay, and now I can't bear to listen to it. Not that I was a big Muse fan to begin with...I actually woudln't consider myself a fan anymore to be honest, but I do enjoy a handful of their songs across their discography. But that album is one of the very, very few that the more I listened, the less I liked; and it was a quick downfall at that. Extremely samey. Also...BE MORE OBVIOUS with your symbolism and message, good LORD.  :lol Not even the slightest bit nuanced, artistic or 'hidden'; might as well call it a protest album.

Blood Mountain is pretty fantastic!!

Bladecatcher...wowwwwww Mastodon. Wow.

RIP DTP.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4988 on: January 07, 2016, 12:42:21 AM »
Tio, about that Baroness album. I think what you mean is in the drum tracks. I love the songs, but there's some flat/damp sounding drumsound that lays over the entire production. Could be the mastering.

The songs are f'ing brilliant though.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4989 on: January 07, 2016, 12:42:57 AM »
Tesla- The Great Radio Controversy

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4990 on: January 07, 2016, 12:49:32 AM »
Tio, about that Baroness album. I think what you mean is in the drum tracks. I love the songs, but there's some flat/damp sounding drumsound that lays over the entire production. Could be the mastering.

The songs are f'ing brilliant though.

I think so too, I also just watched The Needle Drop's review of it and he mentions the same thing about the mastering. Man...on some tracks it's fine, on others I really like the sound, but on one or two I really can't stand it at points. It's not for very long but holy crap it's grating.

Maaan it was tough, but these two albums finally clicked. I really had to just get past the vocals. Even with all the growling vocals I listen to these days, there is a specific type that I really can't get past and these are very close to said kind. They sound fine, but any more...I dunno, 'gritty', 'gurgling', or raw and I don't think I could do it; that kind to me just sounds so sophomore and uninteresting. But these work and I'm glad they still have at times some clean vocals thrown in. I think my love for growling vocals stemmed from Opeth and the back and forth brutality and beauty, which these guys also do very well but in the early days it was much more brutal in the vocal department. Great stuff though, I really hope they're working on some new material sometime this year. I don't expect anything anytime soon but I'm on a rush.

RIP DTP.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4991 on: January 07, 2016, 01:06:48 AM »

"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #4992 on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:48 AM »

Sooo not gonna lie, only reason I checked this out is because I listened to VoM in highschool and heard that this album's titles consisted entirely of strong females from all kinds of media: games, anime, movies, TV (I think). Annnd I quite like it! I'll have to check out their stuff between this and their first couple albums but it does sound like nice evolution of what I remember. Interesting choice in theme and title and I'm glad to see some lovin' to the strong women of some of my favorite stories. MIKASAAAAAA! AAAAEEERISSSSS! Funny that I do like those tracks the best after my first listen...

RIP DTP.

Offline Art

« Reply #4993 on: January 07, 2016, 04:23:49 AM »

Gutter Twins - Saturnalia

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4994 on: January 07, 2016, 04:32:53 AM »

Brent I've heard Race Against Time from Banshee. What do you rate that one as well as this one?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4995 on: January 07, 2016, 06:27:15 AM »
I need to revisit Race Against Time as I can't remember much and never gave it a rating - Take Em By Storm got the most play from me years back.  The Cry In The Night EP pictured above is very solid US power metal.  Low 80's type rating from me.

EDIT - playing Race Against TIme now and it's a good one too.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:38:55 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4996 on: January 07, 2016, 06:32:53 AM »
Tesla- The Great Radio Controversy

Pound for pound, one of the greatest albums of the 80s.  All killer, no filler.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #4997 on: January 07, 2016, 07:34:41 AM »
I need to revisit Race Against Time as I can't remember much and never gave it a rating - Take Em By Storm got the most play from me years back.  The Cry In The Night EP pictured above is very solid US power metal.  Low 80's type rating from me.

EDIT - playing Race Against TIme now and it's a good one too.

I've only heard Mindslave and the odd song onyoutube.  Played Mindslave yesterday in fact.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4998 on: January 07, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #4999 on: January 07, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #5000 on: January 07, 2016, 10:28:22 AM »

Man this album didn't age well at all (and it's been just a few months). I mean, there are a few really good tracks (Dead Inside, Reapers, The Handler, The Globalist) but the rest is just so boring and borderline cringey it made it really hard for me not to turn the album off. I liked it when it came out... what happened?  :\

Wow, I have to admit, I think this album is pretty great, probably their best since Black Holes & Revelations in my opinion. But I agree that it definitely has some really boring songs, especially Mercy, Revolt and Aftermath (especially the "It`s you and me against the world"-part, that`s just hilarious), but I think that most songs are pretty solid (Psycho, Defector) to damn great (Reapers, The Handler) and any other track, except for already mentioned tracks and the outro, going somewhere in between.

On-topic:
Currently listening to:
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5001 on: January 07, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »

Is it any good? I have an opportunity to grab this album for ~4$ which is relatively cheap and I quite like the title track on YouTube. How does the rest of the album compare to it?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #5002 on: January 07, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »
The title track doesn´t represent the album at all in that it is much faster than the rest of the songs. It´s sort of Doom metal with great melodies and a great, expressive female singer. It took me a couple of songs but I really think it´s great. The selftitled debut/album I feel is quite a bit better still though. This one is a little more diverse.  :metal
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #5003 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:09 PM »

Wow, it's been like a year since I've listened to this. Still as good as I remember it to be; might be my favourite Transatlantic album.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5004 on: January 07, 2016, 07:11:08 PM »
In regards to Race Against Time by Banshee, check out "All Alone".  Great tune!!