Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.4  (Read 426004 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: What album are you listening to? v.4
« Reply #6020 on: February 23, 2016, 02:40:59 PM »
I wasn't a fan at the time just yet, but looking back at the setlist it really was amazing, they opened with Fists of Dissent here aswell, followed by mostly a mix of Burn My Eyes, Blackening and Through the Ashes of Empires songs.

The Blackening is an amazing album, and I realize I'm in the minority, but closely followed by Burn My Eyes and The Blackening, Unto The Locust marks my favorite MH album, I can never get sick of it, it even has what I consider the strongest run of 4 songs on an album ever in Locust up until Pearls Before the Swine.

Now listening:

people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6021 on: February 23, 2016, 02:41:24 PM »

:corn

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #6022 on: February 23, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »

Thank you Sacul for introducing me to this album. It's definitely grown to be my one of my favourites albums to spin lately. The vocals and instrumentals are just top-notch.  :hefdaddy
I guess me sending them in almost every roulette has finally worked :lol

But yeah, Lun is a killer record. I hope you end up checking some of David Maxim Micic's stuff too - not as :metal as DP, but definitely more creative and varied.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6023 on: February 23, 2016, 03:17:44 PM »
I wasn't a fan at the time just yet, but looking back at the setlist it really was amazing, they opened with Fists of Dissent here aswell, followed by mostly a mix of Burn My Eyes, Blackening and Through the Ashes of Empires songs.

The Blackening is an amazing album, and I realize I'm in the minority, but closely followed by Burn My Eyes and The Blackening, Unto The Locust marks my favorite MH album, I can never get sick of it, it even has what I consider the strongest run of 4 songs on an album ever in Locust up until Pearls Before the Swine.

It was an incredible experience.

Unto the Locust is a REALLY good album. It had a tough job on it's hands to follow The Blackening and actually did remarkably well but I still couldn't help being a bit disappointed by it at first. I have the special edition version but feel the album works better without the bonus tracks tacked on the end.

Just wondering, did you hear Unto the Locust before The Blackening? It may possibly have ended up being my favourite if I'd heard it first. The song 'Locust' is killer!!!

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6024 on: February 23, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »

Kvelertak - Meir

Goddamn, John Baizely creates some of the best album covers!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6025 on: February 23, 2016, 03:32:03 PM »

Unto the Locust is a REALLY good album. It had a tough job on it's hands to follow The Blackening and actually did remarkably well but I still couldn't help being a bit disappointed by it at first. I have the special edition version but feel the album works better without the bonus tracks tacked on the end.

Just wondering, did you hear Unto the Locust before The Blackening? It may possibly have ended up being my favourite if I'd heard it first. The song 'Locust' is killer!!!

Actually, yea I think it was.

I had heard songs off Burn My Eyes and Ashes of Empires before a lot because we happened to have those CD's at home though I never knew Machine Head as a band.

After the concert I started checking out songs off The Blackening, but never got the album. Then one day I scanned through some Roadrunner Records youtube videos because I was subscribed to them and I found 'Locust', killer tune that had been on constant play for months after, and then I got the album. So hearing Unto The Locust before any of the other albums in full probably played a big part in it.

Also I agree on the bonus songs, I have the standard version, but on Spotify there's the bonus tracks aswell. I love the Sentinel cover of Judas Priest, like the Witch Hunt cover of Rush (though I could do without that one), but they don't work in the album setting at all. And the Darkness Within acoustic version is just... I don't know, it's not a good song to do acoustically, ruins the whole soft/heavy contrast and the song overall loses that melancholic vibe.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6026 on: February 23, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »

Actually, yea I think it was.

I had heard songs off Burn My Eyes and Ashes of Empires before a lot because we happened to have those CD's at home though I never knew Machine Head as a band.

After the concert I started checking out songs off The Blackening, but never got the album. Then one day I scanned through some Roadrunner Records youtube videos because I was subscribed to them and I found 'Locust', killer tune that had been on constant play for months after, and then I got the album. So hearing Unto The Locust before any of the other albums in full probably played a big part in it.

Also I agree on the bonus songs, I have the standard version, but on Spotify there's the bonus tracks aswell. I love the Sentinel cover of Judas Priest, like the Witch Hunt cover of Rush (though I could do without that one), but they don't work in the album setting at all. And the Darkness Within acoustic version is just... I don't know, it's not a good song to do acoustically, ruins the whole soft/heavy contrast and the song overall loses that melancholic vibe.

I usually go for special edition versions of albums because I like to hear the bonus tracks but they can sometimes spoil the flow of an album and this is a prime example. I need to listen to the album more without the bonus tracks, it would probably help me appreciate it a hell of a lot more.

My first exposure to Machine Head was a mix CD my older brother made for me with 'Machine Head' scrawled over it in about 2004. I know it had Davidian and a load of tracks off Burn My Eyes on there plus some stuff off Through the Ashes of Empires. I didn't know anything about them, I didn't even know if Machine was the band name or the title of the album  :lol I know I played it a lot though, I always trusted my brothers judgement as most of my favourite metal albums are albums he recommended.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6027 on: February 23, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »
I agree that the bonus tracks don't really add to that specific album and would agree it does detract from it, but I don't find that a problem, I'd rather have the bonus tracks either way.  You can easily stop the cd or make a copy without them anyway.

The Blackening does shit all over Locust, but Locust still was a really really solid follow up.  You couldn't ask for much more really IMO.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #6028 on: February 23, 2016, 04:05:54 PM »
I agree that the bonus tracks don't really add to that specific album and would agree it does detract from it, but I don't find that a problem, I'd rather have the bonus tracks either way.  You can easily stop the cd or make a copy without them anyway.

The Blackening does shit all over Locust, but Locust still was a really really solid follow up.  You couldn't ask for much more really IMO.

Pretty much. The Blackening is a top 10 album for me. Unto the Locust was a solid follow up, I was just really hoping they were somehow going to top The Blackening.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6029 on: February 23, 2016, 04:09:19 PM »

Pretty much. The Blackening is a top 10 album for me. Unto the Locust was a solid follow up, I was just really hoping they were somehow going to top The Blackening.

If they did it would have been superhuman.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6030 on: February 23, 2016, 04:13:38 PM »

I feel like these are the two best Deftones albums when it comes to pure riffage. Very nu-metalish.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #6031 on: February 23, 2016, 04:19:15 PM »

I'm never doubting whether Machine Head will live up to their standards anymore, topping The Blackening seems impossible (though for me it wasn't apparently), but Bloodstones was very strong and showed me that they're still almost at the top of their game. Studio sessions for the new song "Is There Anybody Out There?" also sound very promising.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6032 on: February 23, 2016, 08:56:00 PM »

So many classics on this album.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6033 on: February 23, 2016, 11:00:43 PM »

oh yeah, i listened to this earlier
pretty nice atmospheric black metal, will need some more listens to let it sink in fully though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6034 on: February 23, 2016, 11:29:33 PM »

pretty great stuff, this. it's like a combination of what makes all their previous albums great. i'm stoked to spin this way too many times in the near future

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #6035 on: February 24, 2016, 04:21:30 AM »
Anathema - Weather Systems

I can't decide if I like this or We're Here Because We're Here better.

Offline The Astonished

« Reply #6036 on: February 24, 2016, 04:24:39 AM »
  :metal
Rise up, be counted, stand strong and unite!

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #6037 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:12 AM »

Gave this a second spin and I'm liking it way more than the first time. I definitely think this is gonna grow on me. If there's something I love about this band, it's the bass lines.

Decided to revisit all of Devin's albums chronologically starting with this. While I still can't stand Life, I would definitely rank this album higher nowadays. Funeral to Things Beyond Things is probably Devin's best series of songs on an album ever.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6038 on: February 24, 2016, 05:47:59 AM »

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6039 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:58 AM »
Just reaching the end of the magnificent Marbles by Marillion.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6040 on: February 24, 2016, 06:38:11 AM »
Just reaching the end of the magnificent Marbles by Marillion.

:tup  I just put on another Eloy album (Power and the Passion), but I think I'll put on Marbles next.

Offline Tomislav95

...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6042 on: February 24, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »

Probably one of my least favorite of Derek's solo albums.

Next

My Iced Earth play-through is almost complete. Only 2 more after this one.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6043 on: February 24, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »
Stryper- To Hell With the Devil

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6044 on: February 24, 2016, 01:20:33 PM »
Good one jj.

Scorpions - lovedrive

Accept - balls to the wall

Ayreon - human equation

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6045 on: February 24, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
 :hat

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6046 on: February 24, 2016, 03:09:17 PM »
Keel - s/t

Styx - paradise theater

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6047 on: February 25, 2016, 12:17:21 AM »

listened to this earlier... i think this might have more staying power than their debut with me, honestly, the first album ended up kind of feeling like a novelty album, like once you get past the weirdness you realize the songs aren't exactly complex or even that great, whereas this album has a lot more atmosphere to it and generally felt stronger

or at least, that's what i gathered from my listen today  :lol
we'll see.

on right now
i'm mad that i get to exist in the same universe as music this gorgeous, i am simply not worthy

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #6048 on: February 25, 2016, 12:23:42 AM »
You check out Oranssi Pazuzu's new album "Varahtelija", comes out on Friday, and what they've released so far is a mind trip.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6049 on: February 25, 2016, 12:25:35 AM »
yeah i'm already planning to get it, i've heard a few of the songs and it seems pretty cool. will probably be in my next music order along with the new Obsidian Kingdom and Oceans of Slumber albums, whenever I get around to ordering more music at least  :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6050 on: February 25, 2016, 05:24:58 AM »
Helloween- Keeper of the Seven Keys- The Legacy

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6051 on: February 25, 2016, 05:50:05 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #6052 on: February 25, 2016, 06:20:12 AM »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #6053 on: February 25, 2016, 06:25:07 AM »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #6054 on: February 25, 2016, 06:32:20 AM »