Poll

Which song do you like better?

Illumination Theory
161 (51.3%)
The Count of Tuscany
153 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Voting closed: May 16, 2019, 10:10:28 PM

Author Topic: Illumination Theory vs The Count of Tuscany  (Read 20209 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Illumination Theory vs The Count of Tuscany
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2013, 11:17:10 PM »
Love both, but gotta go with TCOT. I just feel it's a more fluidic song, the symphonic section, though wonderful, in IT is somewhat of a buzzkill for me as far as the complete song goes. TCOT however, is probably one of my top 5 songs.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2013, 03:28:32 AM »
I really enjoy sections of The Count, but IT comfortably for me. IT just has that special DT blend that works perfectly in my eyes, and is a monster epic..

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
I want to say IT, even though TCOT is higher on my ranking list. But I haven't heard TCOT in a while, and I'm sure if I listened to it now, I'd say TCOT. But it's a tough call.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
I can't believe this is even a debate.  Tuscany is infinitely better

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2013, 09:53:56 AM »
Illumination Theory

I physically can NOT vote against the riff at 3:40.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
I still can't believe people actually like the incohesive album-closer (far from epic) that IT is.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »

Making statements. Should be the new olympic discipline.

Brazil, get ready. We've got loads of champions here at DTF :hat

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #77 on: December 23, 2013, 10:44:56 AM »

Making statements. Should be the new olympic discipline.

Brazil, get ready. We've got loads of champions here at DTF :hat

Sorry, I'll be a little more explicit....I don't like IT at all and I think TCOT is an infinitely better song. 

Offline teclas

« Reply #78 on: December 26, 2013, 01:43:03 PM »
IT by a lot. Count has a lot of good stuff but can't touch IT which has way better lyrics, a far better ambient section, a better outro, and a better lineup.

Yes, nailed it. 
A journey to find
The answers inside
Our illusive mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #79 on: December 26, 2013, 02:03:59 PM »
It's still too soon for me to get that much provocation from IT.  It's a great song and one of the Top 3 songs on the new CD for me, but it needs to stand the test of time for me, especially when compared to a brilliant song like TCOT. The creative non-fiction style lyrics in TCOT aren't meant to be deep and insightful like those in IT.  Comparing the lyrics in both songs is futile and it ultimately boils down to subjectivity. Saying one song has "better" lyrics than the other is kind of pointless because the word itself is purely abstract. In most cases, it does nothing for me in a comparative discussion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 26, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
TCOT, its pretty close, but the better intro/ending on the Count makes it the winner for me.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
It's still too soon for me to get that much provocation from IT.  It's a great song and one of the Top 3 songs on the new CD for me, but it needs to stand the test of time for me, especially when compared to a brilliant song like TCOT. The creative non-fiction style lyrics in TCOT aren't meant to be deep and insightful like those in IT.  Comparing the lyrics in both songs is futile and it ultimately boils down to subjectivity. Saying one song has "better" lyrics than the other is kind of pointless because the word itself is purely abstract. In most cases, it does nothing for me in a comparative discussion.

Well, almost anything in music is subjective. When I say something like "this song has better lyrics", I mean "I like these lyrics better", since there's obviously no objective parameters to base this judgement on.

And on that note, I actually prefer the lyrics to The Count Of Tuscany to those of Illumination Theory. Come at me, bros.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #82 on: December 26, 2013, 02:23:36 PM »
I still can't believe people actually like the incohesive album-closer (far from epic) that IT is.

The two of them fits in the incohesive album-closer (far from epic) description to me  :xbones
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #83 on: December 26, 2013, 03:27:38 PM »

The two of them fits in the incohesive album-closer (far from epic) description to me  :xbones

How is TCOT incohesive?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #84 on: December 26, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »
I think the transitions are a bit forced and some parts are there just to fill space but more cohesive than IT, though i think IT has better performances from the band but, honestly, i couldn't care less about these two songs, if i still was into DT music, i would think: Why listen to this when i can listen to ACOS or 8V?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2013, 09:47:05 AM »
I love both songs, but I like IT better. There's many memorable moments, and every time that I listen to it, feels like the first time I've ever heard the song...and that just doesn't happen with TCOT.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2013, 12:20:13 PM »
Still like IT more overall, but I will say this, I was listening to TCOT the other day and I thought about how other DT albums ended, and honestly, I think the end of TCOT is the best DT album closer since Learning to Live.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2013, 08:00:56 PM »
TCOT by miles.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2013, 08:59:22 PM »
Still like IT more overall, but I will say this, I was listening to TCOT the other day and I thought about how other DT albums ended, and honestly, I think the end of TCOT is the best DT album closer since Learning to Live.

Sums up my exact thoughts. Both phenomenal songs, but IT wins by a hair for me.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2013, 07:31:22 PM »
Illumination Theory. By far.
This.  For me, the music is much more epic in scale, scope, and ambition, and the lyrics aren't ridiculously stupid.  Win win.

Word, mentlegen.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #90 on: December 30, 2013, 08:00:35 PM »

Well, almost anything in music is subjective. When I say something like "this song has better lyrics", I mean "I like these lyrics better", since there's obviously no objective parameters to base this judgement on.

And on that note, I actually prefer the lyrics to The Count Of Tuscany to those of Illumination Theory. Come at me, bros.

Some people don't know how to use their words properly, so it causes all sorts of confusion in an argument. They obviously don't understand the subjectivity/objectivity dissimilarities. Obviously, you do.   ;)

And yes, I agree with your second paragraph. 

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2013, 11:15:39 AM »
Few thoughts on TCOT:(beside the fact that its so good, i love the intro and ending parts).
before  the silent part starts approx around the 9th minute the riff reminds me the begining of 6:00.  then, there is part which reminds me a lot of of the guitar solo in "Lie". the silent section  sounds to me like the middle part of The Rime Of The Ancient Mariner by Maiden... have i lost it?.. :lol

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »
Illumination Theory, though it's fairly close. I'm kind of surprised that people have been so definitive as to say "__ by far".

I absolutely LOVE the main riff in IT, and when it's reprised later in the song and later under the guitar solo, it's a prog-gasm moment.

TCOT certainly has some awesome moments, I really like the intro and the final verse, but as we all know, the lyrics are pretty silly, which hurts it.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2013, 02:47:43 PM »
If "Illumination Theory" did NOT have that orchestral section strapped to it, I probably would have voted for it.  But that section just totally kills the mood and flow of the song for me.  I still don't understand why it's even there or how -in any way- it carries the song forward.  To me, that section goes with the song the same way that mustard goes with vanilla ice cream.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »
To me, that section goes with the song the same way that mustard goes with vanilla ice

wut

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: January 01, 2014, 04:58:21 AM »
Sounds legit, boss.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline N4Player

« Reply #96 on: January 01, 2014, 09:38:32 AM »
TCOT for me. Not even close. IT has its moments but there is nothing epic about it other than the length of the song. TCOT has a great flow from start to finish and a killer chorus and ending that IT lacks.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #97 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
TCOT for me. Not even close. IT has its moments but there is nothing epic about it other than the length of the song. TCOT has a great flow from start to finish and a killer chorus and ending that IT lacks.

This.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #98 on: January 01, 2014, 07:06:01 PM »
TCOT for me.  I'm a huge lyric guy, but TCOT is my guilty pleasure in the cheesy lyrics department.  It's such a great song that I enjoy them throughout even though I usually don't.  I love DT's self titled album, but IT is actually one of my least favorite songs on it, even though it's the epic.  Album to album, I totally take DT over BCASL, but TCOT is way better to me than IT.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #99 on: January 01, 2014, 07:09:43 PM »
They're both awesome, but It'll probably take a few years before I'm able to really decide which I like better. I'd say right now probably TCOT because it's been out longer and has had more time to resonate.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #100 on: January 02, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »
IT, if only due to lack of growls and less cringe-worthy lyrics.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #101 on: January 02, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
The Count of Tuscany, because:

Better intro
Better ambient section
Better outro
Less filler/fluff
More cohesive

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #102 on: January 03, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
IT because it's not a cringe-inducing cheese-fest like TCoT.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2014, 08:40:58 PM »
IT, by about a billion miles.

After listening to BCSL and Dt12 a fair bit in the last week...........this.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
TCoT, with better lyrics, might just be DT's best song.