Poll

Which song do you like better?

Illumination Theory
161 (51.3%)
The Count of Tuscany
153 (48.7%)

Total Members Voted: 305

Voting closed: May 16, 2019, 10:10:28 PM

Author Topic: Illumination Theory vs The Count of Tuscany  (Read 20204 times)

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
Re: Illumination Theory vs The Count of Tuscany
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2014, 06:51:29 AM »
This is like choosing between your kids.  :(  I give it to TCOT by a hair at this point, but I do wonder whether I'll feel differently after seeing IT live in a couple months.....

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »
Tuscany by a mile. There's only about 2 minutes of IT that's I actually like. The rest is pretty bad IMO.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2014, 08:29:43 AM »
Well, if you removed the orchestra section from Illumination Theory it might come close, but otherwise The Count of Tuscany is a better, much more consistently good song. 

The poll results are surprising given the comments in this thread.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2014, 01:18:58 PM »
TCOT. 

IT has its moments but is mostly a major disappointment for me.  Most of the album is a diappointment.  High points are TEI and TLG.  The rest is just so-so.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2014, 03:00:40 PM »
Voted in this ages ago, but don't think I commented.

Illumination Theory is a great song, but I don't think it brings anything special to the table to really put it above other great, epic-length DT songs. The Count Of Tuscany on the other hand is a really special Dream Theater song, and parts of it are, perhaps literally, the best music they've ever produced. A few lines leave something to be desired (although I have no problem with the lyrics as a whole), but that doesn't detract from it enough to take it down from being one of DT's very best songs. Illumination Theory is a great as well, and I don't have any problems with it (if we don't count the minute's silence and ending music as being part of the song) but on the other hand it doesn't have any parts that stand out in DT's catalog quite as much as The Count Of Tuscany's.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2014, 07:27:36 PM »
TCOT and IT are just about as close to each other as the results of this poll are. They're both phenomenal songs and almost their two best epics, but I gave IT the edge. I love the main riff in the first verse of TCOT, but I don't love the way that verse flows. It's perfect in the second verse, but it's eh in the first verse. The vocal melody in both verses leave something to be desired as well. As far as the lyrics, the only problem I have with them is the second prechorus and the way JLB/MP sing them in both pre choruses. Other than that, the song's perfect.

In IT, The instrumental section in Live, Die, Kill after the vocals is the only weak part of the song. It's still good, but compared to the rest of the song, it's nothing spectacular. And Surrender, Trust, and Passion feels like it wants to be Razor's Edge really badly, but doesn't quite hit the impact RE has. The rest of the song is outstanding and comparable to TCOT. They're both fairly even to me, but IT comes out slightly higher.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2014, 04:07:10 AM »
I first thought it was a joke... :yeahright

But, as I already said, I never liked BC&SL...

I wonder if there is a possibility to vote again, for IT of course...again, and again, and again. :metal

(apparently NOT...  :loser:)
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2014, 04:19:28 AM »
As much as I love IT, the harmonic richness of TCOT wins out for me. Absolutely gorgeous all the way through!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2014, 04:29:45 AM »
And the lyrics...
Awesome too!! :rollin

Not funny ?? :loser:
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2014, 05:09:03 AM »
As much as I love IT, the harmonic richness of TCOT wins out for me. Absolutely gorgeous all the way through!

Yes, MP's "I!!!" is very harmonic!  :loser:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2014, 05:11:55 AM »
Right, because a single word represents the whole song.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2014, 05:25:28 AM »
I'm glad IT is winning. True story - I listened to TCOT last night all the way through foe the first time. I wasnt blown away or anything. But IT is just killer (IMO)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2014, 06:38:10 AM »
And Surrender, Trust, and Passion feels like it wants to be Razor's Edge really badly, but doesn't quite hit the impact RE has.
Yup, I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2014, 03:54:43 PM »
You can do it TCOT!  :metal :metal :metal

125 / 124

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »

What's funny for me is that I actually really like MP's 'I!' during the TCOT chorus.  A lot of people seem to bring it up as a negative, but for me, it's awesome. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline The Holy Tune

« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
IT by far for me. Whole song feels better than TCOT. The lyrics, the riffs, the orchestral section(especially after seeing the video they played at the concerts), the great James moments, all the solos...

And I never managed to understand the love for TCOT. I keep listening to it everyday, thinking I can get something for it. Haven't managed to do it so far. Had the same problem with ADTOE, got rid of it by the help of you guys. Willing to help again? :D

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »

What's funny for me is that I actually really like MP's 'I!' during the TCOT chorus.  A lot of people seem to bring it up as a negative, but for me, it's awesome.

I like the "I"s, it's the prechorus (let me introduce) that I don't care for. Though that's the only part of the song that I don't care for.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »

I like the "I"s, it's the prechorus (let me introduce) that I don't care for. Though that's the only part of the song that I don't care for.

Fair enough.

For me, I don't really have a problem with any of the vocals, it's just that they don't necessarily make sense with the lyrics.  And that goes for several parts of BC&SL, not just TCOT. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25:11 PM »
Now that I look at it, I'm perfectly pleased with how well the poll results reflect my own feelings for the two songs. :lol

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2014, 11:55:01 PM »
The Count of Tuscany was/is my favorite but now Illumination Theory is my favorite too. I listen to both now but i voted for IT because it's from my favorite album.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2014, 05:27:18 AM »
Wow, this is a pretty close contest! I voted for TCOT. Both songs are excellent, but there is just something about TCOT...I don't know if it's the notes being hit or what, but it just sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. IT is probably more interesting from a musical standpoint though, and it gets stuck in my head easier.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2014, 03:38:53 PM »
I originally picked the count but as time has passed, IT has shown it may be better now. Its a tough call. If I could, id possibly change my vote.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
The Count is was a top 10 DT song for me, but Illumination Theory is really on a whole nother level. IMO it contains everything that makes DT amazing. Packed full of epic riffs, refined arrangement, amazing ambient section, killer solos, soaring vocals, cinematic outro. Hell, it even has silence which they pull off perfectly. :P  :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2014, 05:49:59 PM »
I like both but The Count of Tuscany by quite a few miles.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline JayTor2112

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
TCOT for me.  Especially live versions, the interlude is even more emotional live.  It get's the hairs on your arm standing up and gets you a touch misty, then leads into that epic ending.  The intro is amazing, and that main verse riff rips your face off.  Not much negative to say about that song.  IT has its moments, I might be in the minority by saying the orchestreal interlude bores me, and I usually FF to the "Necromancer" part.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2014, 04:45:26 PM »
Hmm, The Count is actually winning now.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
I usually FF to the "Necromancer" part.

Frantically frolic?

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:01 PM »
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Offline dongringo

« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »
It's exactly 50/50 after my vote for IT (barely.) I gave IT the edge due to the lyrics and Jame's amazing vocal performance at the end. However, it was close. I love TCOT and almost feel just terrible for letting it down.  :'(
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:01 PM »
And thus balance was restored to the universe.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #135 on: February 12, 2014, 06:26:23 PM »
Hmm, IT is actually winning now. :tup

Offline Invisible

« Reply #136 on: February 12, 2014, 07:50:11 PM »
Aaaaand another vote for IT! They're both at the bottom half of DT epics, I like them but I am not that crazy about neither of them. It is a good poll as they both share some of the same strenghts and weakneses, I went for IT because of the lyrics, the aren't the greatest, but compared to TCOT they win easily. My problem with The Count is that while the lyrics on themselves are not that bad, they don't fit the music at all, except for some parts. The "MY BROTHAAAA" :metal moments and such are a let down for me. The Count may have a better ending.

None of them have smooth transitions by the way, although on that part TCOT may win by a hair. I do like de riffing and vocals on IT a little better for the riffs, A LOT better for the vocals.

So all in all, IT won by a hair. If the Count had other lyrics, it would have been a serious contender even for the better epics, which kind of a shame :sad:.

Offline LTE3

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:06 PM »
Count is more please to ears for me, I can't wait to see Illumination live, but Count seems more original to me, and I always get a good visual in my head with the lyrics. Illumination starts with what seems to me a bunch of pieces that sound all too familiar, although the section that starts at 3:38 I love so much it almost swayed my decision but in the end I have to give it to the Count.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2014, 06:40:45 AM »
Voted for IT simply because of the "mothers for their children“ part and the lyrics, but it's extremely close.

Offline YOWspotter

« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
I voted for TCOT, and it wasn't an agonizing decision to make.

I enjoy IT overall but it sounds a bit too much like a sum of parts, some of which I'm not too crazy about.  TCOT, on the other hand, feels like a coherent whole that I just love from start to end.