Author Topic: UMH's "Top 10 of the Four Main Components of a (Predominately Metal) Band" (1)  (Read 12634 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Oh my, this band would be off-the-charts awesome!
Also, Soothsayer is a fantastic song!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Update?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
All those guys are amazing. :metal

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Update?
Meant to do one earlier this week, but this weekend has been absolutely killer for me. I've barely even had time to sign on and read this.  :P Optimistically, I'd say we might have something on Monday.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
NUMBER 2

Vocals: Devin Townsend (Solo, Strapping Young Lad)

I don't even know why I'm bothering to put a write-up here. Everyone knows my sick obsession with everything this man creates, so it should be no surprise he'd show up on this list somewhere. While my appreciation for Devin resides mainly in his unbelievable talent for songwriting and composition, his voice is a big part of what ties his extremely varied output together. Devin moves from utterly ear-shattering screams and growls to a soft, delicate tone in seconds, topping it all off with an insanely powerful operatic croon that would put many a classical singer to shame. He uses a ton of layers, but the layers are used more to enhance and deliver a choral effect rather than make up for any lack of power. When Devin turns his voice into an 8 part choir, it's probably one of the most beautiful things you could ever hear. He harmonizes so well with himself and the other singers he's worked with over his career, it's almost scary. Hell, being able to sing throat-ripping yells with Strapping Young Lad and the ethereal, ambient stylings of Ghost is impressive in and of itself.

Favorite performance: Deadhead

Guitars: Jeff Loomis (Nevermore, Solo)

Jeff Loomis is so good at guitar that it honestly hurts me. The crushing defeat of knowing that you can never live up to someone's skill is something every musician goes through. Jeff's strength lies not in soloing, nor riffing, it lies in a downright unbelievable proficiency at both major components of metal guitar playing, and he does it all within the confines of his insane mastery of the seven-string guitar. The added range makes it so that the riffs crunch harder than anything else, and the soloing is just in league of its own. Jeff uses diminished scales all over the place, which can be extremely difficult on guitar. Furthermore, Jeff Loomis' least complicated riff could very easily be another guitarist's most complicated solo (See: The Termination Proclamation). It's really a shame that Nevermore is...well, no more, but Loomis' career has extended into the realm of instrumental shred, with tremendously satisfying results as well.

Favorite performance: The Psalm of Lydia

Bass: Geddy Lee (Rush)

God fucking dammit, I just love Geddy Lee. His basslines make me extremely moist. Rush is already a rhythmically complex entity, and when you factor in that Geddy sings and plays keyboards along with providing much of the backbone of the illustrious power trio, and you've got pure unbridled musical talent. Miraculously, Geddy manages to hardly ever showboat. Sure, his bass solo/duel with Alex in By-Tor is a bit wanky and silly, but that's all in the spirit of the song. Geddy's bass is just one of the many components that make Rush one of the best bands on the planet. Love or hate Geddy's voice, one has to admit that it's pretty cool that Geddy can sing, do keyboard patches, and play such ridiculous basslines all at the same time. Mad respect for this guy.

Favorite performance: Hemispheres

Drums: Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater)

I'm honestly not sure if I'll get flak for this or if people will remember that despite Portnoy's media drama over the past few years, he's still a fantastic drummer. The fact remains, he's one of the best. Coming from a wide range of influences in the progressive rock and metal world, Mike Portnoy is pretty much the embodiment of a great progressive drummer. Prog typically features a ton of ridiculous time signatures and goofy rhythms, and Mike makes them seem effortless. While his drums are often rather high in the mix, the rhythms never seem to overpower the melodies at all. Mike shows restraint when it's necessary, and lets loose when it's called for. His tenure with Dream Theater will be remembered forever, but I'm excited to see if he can become a part of a truly excellent band that lets him flaunt his creative side as well as he could with DT.

Favorite performance: The Dance of Eternity

What would the hypothetical band sound like?: This one would be interesting, for sure. Jeff Loomis seems like he would be the odd one out in this band, strangely enough. Devin's a vocal chameleon, so there's no worries there (Incidentally, the thought of Devin's voice over Jeff's riffs just caused a disturbance in my pants). The main problem is that I've never really heard Jeff Loomis in a role other than "crushing, fast metal," which is something I don't think Geddy would want to keep up with. Of course, Mike Portnoy would probably be thrilled to be playing with Geddy, but I could just as easily see him being able to drum around Jeff's riffs. Really, the most awesome thing that could come from this band would be a vocal duet between Devin Townsend and Geddy Lee.  :lol
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Holy shit, that is awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
predictions for number one, anyone?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Now that Devin's out, I have no idea who could be number one.

So long as Geddy didn't sing, this band would rock. :metal

Offline jsem

That'd be a fantastic band. Would empty wallet.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
As far as predictions, I'm going to say that 3 of them should be fairly obvious, and 1 of them nobody will ever guess.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Seth Putnam 4 vocalist spot.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Well, you haven't had John Petrucci, John Myung, or Sean Malone. Or Sean Reinert for that matter. Or Mike Mangini.

So yeah, maybe some of those.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Åkerfeldt, Peart, Petrucci and some bassist, perhaps?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Wait, Akerfeldt hasn't been mentioned? He's definitely a contender.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, I was really loving watching the guesses for number 1 roll in, but I can't keep this thread in suspense any longer. All I can say is that nobody guessed correctly, which honestly surprised me considering how much love I've expressed on these forums for the 4 gentlemen that are to follow. I've loved writing for this thread, even though it took a ton of work. Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion, and I'd be interested to see anyone else attempt a similar undertaking.

And now,

NUMBER 1

Vocals: Lou Reed

Lou Reed is a visionary. There's no other way around it. His poetry is utterly superb, and he always finds the best possible backing musicians for the job. From his melodically brilliant opus "Metal Machine Music" all the way to his most recent collaboration with the utterly legendary Metallica, Lou Reed has never released a bad song in his life, nor has a single performance of his lacked in emotion or raw talent. RIP

Favorite performance: Pumping Blood

Guitar: Lil' Wayne

Remember the Buckethead write up where I said that Soothsayer was the most emotional solo I've ever heard? Well, I have cleverly tricked you all. The most brilliant solo I've ever heard is the short but sweet solo that Lil Wayne played from one of his songs on some thing some time. The solo was played overtop of what was obviously supposed to be a backing track, but Wayne took the artistic initiative to play completely over the backing track and lay down one of the most incredible solos I've ever heard. I picked the video just so you could see how much better Wayne's solo sounded than the backing track that was intended to stifle his amazing skill.

Favorite performance: This

Bass: Michael Anthony (Van Halen)

Michael Anthony is far and away the most amazing bass player ever. This is best exemplified in his unbelievable bass line to Runnin' With the Devil, off of Van Halen's monstrous debut album. Listen to the absurd rhythmic complexity of that thing. Straight quarter notes like nobody could ever play them. Notice how he changes notes so perfectly into the chorus to really drive home the different section. Switching from the staccato notes to long tones during Eddie's solo was the most brilliant artistic decision in the history of the universe. God, what a beast.

Favorite performance: Runnin' With the Devil

Drums: Lars Ulrich (Metallica)

God, Lars is just incredible. His knack for always picking the best drum sounds for every album he plays on is just mind-boggling. Live, he always excels. Always keeps beat like a boss, and never causes massive catastrophes. That's the sign of a great metal drummer. Also, Dr. House said he was the best metal drummer ever, and if anything's said on a TV show, it has to be true.

Favorite performance: St. Anger

What would the hypothetical band sound like?: Gawd. Best band ever, much? Lou Reed sing/speaking his awesome poetry over a brilliant, thumping bassline from Michael Anthony while Lars Ulrich plays his snare drum. And then Lil Wayne solos over it like he did in that incredible video I posted. This band would be unfuckingstoppable.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Michael Anthony is a fucking beast.  I would challenge anybody that can play a bass to try to play "Poundcake" without a pick.  It is unlikely you will make it all the way through the song before your right arm gives out.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The first time I heard that Lil Wayne solo I burned my guitars because I knew I would never be able to create something tos beautiful and powerful myself.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Michael Anthony is a fucking beast.  I would challenge anybody that can play a bass to try to play "Poundcake" without a pick.  It is unlikely you will make it all the way through the song before your right arm gives out.

beast on backing vocals as well.  Maybe we should make him the singer in this group.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
I remember an interview in one of the guitar mags, where Michael Anthony revealed that they called him "Cannon Mouth".  When recording the 1st album they used one mic for the 3-part harmonies and Dave and Ed were right up on the mic but Mike was made to stand at the back of the room cause his vocals were so loud.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
 :metal

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
just when you thought this thread couldn't get any better, UMH goes and tops himself.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
That post.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Perfect picture of Lil Wayne.  He looks like somebody just handed him that guitar and he's trying to figure out what it is. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Van Halen are , along with DT and Queensryche, my top 3 bands ever.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of that era but for a hard rock band there is some pretty mean rhythm work on that album - Pleasure Dome comes to mind.  AVH is very under rated too.

Very funny finale to the list though  :tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Whenever I struggle to do the B chord,I always think of Lil Wayne and that gives me hope.

Offline Ruba

At Lou Reed I thought you were serious, but the Lulu song made me "What?!" and at 'Lil Wayne I got the name of the game. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
At Lou Reed I thought you were serious, but the Lulu song made me "What?!" and at 'Lil Wayne I got the name of the game. :lol
Same here. When I saw Lou Reed I was like "wtf?!", but thought he might be the one nobody expected. Then I saw Lil' Wayne and my reaction was: :rollin

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
thought it was serious til I got to the line on Lou Reed bout never having released a single bad song and bells went off.

now my confusion stems from whether or not we're getting a real #1 or if #2 was actually #1, and its a top 9 with a joke on top.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
now my confusion stems from whether or not we're getting a real #1 or if #2 was actually #1, and its a top 9 with a joke on top.

I think we'll be getting a real #1, but who knows?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Considering I put "NUMBER 1" in sarcasm green I'd say it's safe to assume you'll be getting a real #1 either later today or tomorrow.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Okay:

Mikael Åkerfeldt
John Petrucci
Some bass player (John Myung, Justin Chancellor?)
Neal Peart / Danny Carey
Squ

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
David Gold - Vocals/Rhythm Guitar
Chuck Schuldiner - Lead Guitar/Backing vocals
Nick Schendzielos - Bass
Allen Blickle - Drums

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
But Michael Anthony DOES kick major ass.  Let that point not be lost in the sarcasm.