Author Topic: Video Blogging advice?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline jammindude

Video Blogging advice?
« on: July 14, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
I've NEVER done this before.

I've been an electrician since I was 18, although I've taken several "breaks" from time to time to get away from it....I always come back for the $$$.

New things that I've tried to take on from time to time...I briefly had a "voice over" business.   I got a couple of gigs, and even broke even from my original investment...but began to discover that it was going to require MORE investment and much travelling (schmoozing with others at conventions) to find the type of work that led to quitting your day job...so I gave it up.   

I fell in love with wine about 4 years ago, and toyed with the idea of studying that...and maybe even going to school to become a sommelier...but to get that deep into it, you really have to have been around it your whole life.   It's just too late in life to begin something like that from scratch.   I still love wine, but I couldn't make a living in the wine industry until I was too old to know what wine was.   ::)

This led me back to the old phrase..."write what you know"

I have been a rock music GEEK (and I mean REAL geek....I was to music what that weird kid you knew in HS was to D&D) since I was 10 years old.   I made weekly "Top 10 lists" for my elementary school and passed them out at recess.  (it was about the only popular thing I ever did in elementary school)

My E-tablet allows me to film and immediately upload videos to YouTube...and I'm toying with the idea of just sticking to what I know.   I might to album reviews...but really, I wouldn't mind doing editorial type stuff.    Picking a subject (like "what the Seattle scene was REALLY like...from someone who was there"...or my own commentary on the loudness war) and just doing a quick 5-10 minutes about all the music I know and love once a week. 

I know stuff like this is already out there.   There's a glut of it.  But I just figure that if I'm doing what I know, and what I love, maybe it will resonate somehow....and it doesn't seem like it would take much more than a couple of hours a week to prepare and upload.   I guess I'm just wondering how many of you guys follow things like that?    I know a couple of people in the DT community have their own radio show.   Barry has his own band.   Do you guys follow any progressive rock press like blogs or video sites?     Is what I'm talking about the kind of thing that *could* eventually lead to interviews with people?   Because I wouldn't mind getting involved in that aspect. 

You guys (the entire DT OL community) has been a big part of my life ever since the "Cyber Moon" days, and so I guess I'm just turning to you guys (my friends) to see if anyone has any tips...suggestions.    Especially from those who may already be doing exactly what I'm talking about.

*ANY* feedback is helpful. 

And for the record.   I'm NOT looking to get paid or make a career.   I only mentioned my previous attempts at other careers because of the TIME involved.    The education to get "good" at something required too much time away from my "real job".     With music...I feel like the "education" (if you can call it that) is already there, so there is more of a chance of being able to balance out my private life than there would be if I were learning an entirely new thing. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Video Blogging advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
My comment would be: Why video? Is there stuff you expect you can only get across with images and video? Video is an enormous time sink, far more than just audio or text.

Regarding myself, I can't remember the last time I watched a video blog. My usual medium is podcasts, of which I subscribe to several.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 06:51:13 PM »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 07:10:45 PM »
Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. 

@Rummy.   You make a good point.    On the surface, I just think of recording something short on my E-tablet and being done with it.   An example of a video type "blog" that I love is the Confused Matthew movie review site.   But you're right...by the time you get through the editing process, it occurs to me that video could be a huge black hole of my time.  Exactly what I was trying to avoid. 

@sueno

Interesting points.  I love anything that makes music.   Ever seen August Rush?   Terribly disappointing movie...but one moment touched me very deeply.   The scene where he arrives in the city and EVERYTHING AROUND HIM....every noise...every car horn...every footstep on the pavement...it's ALL musical to his mind.   That is the way I have ALWAYS heard the world.   I just never knew how to express it before. 

But at the same time...I probably should concede the point that in some cases "the music chooses you"....as much as I may love all types of music...prog rock/hard rock/metal and the like seem that they have always been my "go to".    I suppose that's why I've always hung out at these forums for as long as I've owned a computer....it was the only place where I could find people as into it as I was.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 07:21:31 PM »
Exactly the type of thing I was looking for. 

@Rummy.   You make a good point.    On the surface, I just think of recording something short on my E-tablet and being done with it.   An example of a video type "blog" that I love is the Confused Matthew movie review site.   But you're right...by the time you get through the editing process, it occurs to me that video could be a huge black hole of my time.  Exactly what I was trying to avoid. 

@sueno

Interesting points.  I love anything that makes music.   Ever seen August Rush?   Terribly disappointing movie...but one moment touched me very deeply.   The scene where he arrives in the city and EVERYTHING AROUND HIM....every noise...every car horn...every footstep on the pavement...it's ALL musical to his mind.   That is the way I have ALWAYS heard the world.   I just never knew how to express it before. 

But at the same time...I probably should concede the point that in some cases "the music chooses you"....as much as I may love all types of music...prog rock/hard rock/metal and the like seem that they have always been my "go to".    I suppose that's why I've always hung out at these forums for as long as I've owned a computer....it was the only place where I could find people as into it as I was.

Ever seen August Rush?   Terribly disappointing movie.

August Rush

Terribly disappointing movie

August Rush

Terribly disappointing movie

OH HELL NO

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
Biggest "blue ball" in the history of my movie going experience.   

The guy who put together the trailer should win an Oscar.  I freaking CRIED at that trailer.  I would go back and watch it over and over again.  I was pumped for that movie.

I went to see it on day one....and got a very BLANTANT cheap Oliver Twist rip-off.    I mean...they didn't even try to hide it.  They should have been sued for plagiarism.  ....oh, that's right, it's public domain now, isn't it. 

Anyway.  I was disappointed.   ::) :angel:

EDIT:  By the way... you get a  :rollin and a  :tup for the presentation of your views.   :biggrin:

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Thank you. :biggrin:

Anyway, it's your opinion, so I can't really get mad at you. I love that movie though, probably my favorite.

Different strokes, I guess.

Offline sueño

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:35:12 PM »
I saw August Rush at the enthusiastic recco of a friend. On DVD, mind you.

I felt the same way about the Oliver aspects.  :\  Sorry, Shadow.   :D

But yes, that city arrival scene moved me greatly.  I regret I don't *feel* like that but I so admire those who experience it.  It's why I like hanging around you lot.  Basking in your geeky,  musical glory!   :hefdaddy  ;D
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 09:54:10 PM »
whoa, that is a great trailer. I'll have to add it to my queue, and hope that I'm not let down as much as jammindude
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »
I "watched" Mano The Hands Of Fate earlier based on this thread. Is wasn't actually too bad because I happened to click on the MST3K version :)

Offline sueño

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:16:15 PM »
So I was reading the thread about LALU https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=36524.msg1624587#msg1624587 and thought if video blogging may not work, perhaps you could see about writing music reviews? 

A few here seem to do this (just read lonestar's review and I remembered this thread).  You certainly have a knack for it.  Could be fun!   :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
Weird that you should bring this up. I've done album reviews (like the current one going for Chicago) for the entire catalogs of Fates Warning, Queensryche and Savatage at the MP forum, but I've never done one here.

And I JUST got the new Raven DVD and it's got me itching to go through their catalog...but I didn't think there would be enough interest.

I'm sure that you can at least count on a Raven appreciation thread in the near future...complete with full scale rant about how underappreciated they are.

Offline sueño

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 05:14:23 PM »
"If you write it, they will read..."  ;)

Do it, man!  It will be combining your loves of music and writing with a built-in crowd that appreciates both.  As a newb to this scene, I know I'll be reading dredging for the gems, seeing where I should spend my meager pennies.  :P

The depths of musical knowledge (and MEMORY, for cryin' out loud!!!) on this board is impressive.  Might as well join the ranks!   :tup   (then, I don't have to join MP.com!   :D  )

God speed.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:39 PM »
It's just that Raven is a different animal. Not prog in any way. (well, on a couple of tracks if you squint really hard)  Their self branded "athletic rock" is more from the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school...but I'll explain it all when I start the thread.

Offline sueño

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:28:37 PM »
Cool.    :millahhhh

And really -- you should be a better salesman/self-promoter than that.  ;)  Get in there with the attitude that you are getting ready to enrich the lives of all your readers with the knowledge you shall drop on their uneducated minds!  They will soon love music they never DREAMED of!!!  :D

Don't apologize in advance.  I'm sure you'll be at least as good as Orbert.

On his off days...    :xbones

Offline robwebster

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »
My advice:

Don't look directly into the camera. Seriously, there's something unsettling about those YouTube blogs where they're constantly staring you out. Usually accompanied by a slightly meandering ramble: "Hey there guys, I'm wallaceandgromitfan5 and today I'm going to be talking to you about people. I've been talking about this with my friend Hannah, and basically, people are dicks!" Etc. etc. etc. Monologues and constant eye contact should never come together. It's way too intense. Not a rule, Jem Godfrey gets away with it, but that's because it's used sparingly, and his presentation feels like a chat - more of a dialogue than a monologue.

Do use the medium. You've chosen to do a video blog, rather than a podcast or an article - justify that decision! Show, don't tell! What can you offer the world with through a camera lens that you couldn't through voice or text alone? Might be a litany of captions, graphs and funny pictures, might be an interesting setting, or it might just be an arched eyebrow.

And this is just a bugbear of mine - but I get so irritated when people point to the "likes," "subscribes" and "comments." If your viewers like your videos, have an opinion or want to see more from you, they've used YouTube before and already know exactly how those buttons work. Let the content do the talking, then, basically.

And do disregard any of my suggestions. If the content's that's interesting, nobody will mind a bit of eye contact or a spot of "Leave a message below."

Oh - and probably doesn't need saying, but do, of course, show us! Great to see what you come up with.

Offline sueño

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
Great advice!

And, yes.  Links, please!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
No video blogs about Toyota Camrys. Please.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 07:05:39 PM »
It's almost weird how this is coming together.

First off...let me just say that I have been "Jammin" since I was 16, and "The Jammin Dude" (or just "The Dude" for short) since I first went online around 1996...about two years before The Big Lebowski.   (...and I know I'm not the only guy in the world to go by "the Dude"...I'm sure there were hundreds of guys before, and hundreds of thousands after...I'm just saying that I didn't get the persona from the movie originally.)     But immediately upon the release, I was drawn to the character (partially because I found it funny that he already had my name.  :biggrin: ) because he really summed up my attitude towards life most of the time. 

Ever since the idea came into my head (which was waaaay before I brought it up here...probably been floating around my head for 2 or 3 years) I was trying to think of a way to "pay homage" to "THE DUDE", and yet still make it my own.      But still, I have to come up with "a character" of sorts if I want to do what I really want to do. 

I love drinking black russians (always have...never cared for white like The Dude does).   So I thought about wearing shades and drinking a black russian.     And I'll pause a moment to say that I was not initially going to wear shades.    This was inspired, NOT by The Dude....but by Rob Webster....so thank you.   I occurred to me, that you are absolutely right about not looking into the camera.   It's unnerving when a person is staring at you for too long like that.    But yet, I desire that connection of *feeling* like I'm talking to people and not just staring off camera and/or reading from a script.    The only answer was shades.  I could still look at my audience, but they won't be able to see my eyes.    I'm happy.

So then I figured I needed some loungewear.   I didn't want to go the Hugh Hefner route...so I asked my wife if I even owned a Cardigan.   I wasn't looking for one like The Dude's....even a green one would have done.    She said that her dad's old Cardigan was in an old cedar closet in my dressing room.......

Ummm.....wow.   When I saw it, I just couldn't believe it.   It was like.....wow.   Really?   I mean....it's not *exact* (which I didn't want anyway)...but DAMN.   It's like IT WANTED TO BE FOUND BY ME.   It's like this thing sat in a cedar closet for a decade (and two more decades of hanging useless in other dwellings) saying, "did I hear someone finally needs my services?"

It's just....weird.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 07:31:59 PM »
You know what I should do?   Kick it old school. 

I'll review your band.   The catch?   Send me something.   Seriously.   Even my stepson had CD's pressed up.   His friends released CD's in cardboard sleeves....but AT LEAST THEY HAD ARTWORK!    Much like snail mail still carries more meaning than Email....I still feel that the physical medium is more meaningful.    If you really care about your art?  You don't *JUST* have a file on your computer.   If you're serious, you have a package deal of some kind.   Heck...send me a CD SINGLE with a band photo!   I promise to give it my "five spin" rule.   

Offline sueño

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2013, 11:11:39 PM »
Review Adami's album.  It is seriously good and he's a "homeboy", as it were.

You can easily stream it or download.   Link is here: 

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=37746.0

Do you have a YouTube channel?

Interested to see how this takes off.  The shades - personally, I hate to see personalities with shades on; I feel disconnected or that they're hiding something.  Plus,  I like to see eyes...adds sincerity.   That's on me, tho.  You might make it work.   :)

Good call on the black russians.  Once you go black, you know.... :zydar: 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 11:41:17 PM by sueño »

Offline robwebster

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »
I like the shades! And the cardigan, and especially the drink - great image! I can already see it. Think that'll work.

And your idea of actually reviewing things is excellent. Opens the field, but adds a proviso. Very good. Concept's sound, I reckon. Need to make sure you've got a constant supply of stuff, but you can always seek out that kind of thing personally if you need to. Excellent!

Offline jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2013, 09:54:23 AM »
This was unscripted and a single take.   There's a couple of things where I was like "WTF did I say that for?" but....I'm the kind of guy that prefers "candid" over perfection.   So I'll take the warts to avoid sterilization.

Offline sueño

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
Great job on both videos!   :coolio

Looking forward to more.

Very late Edit:  "Mr. Bungle" sounded intriguing.  I looked it up and this was the first video, for "Pink Cigarette":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwWQYg7aS5o

Evidently it's a fan-made video...it's amazing, in my book (and so bizarre!!)!  :D  I need to sample more.

If you want to review or suggest any from Mr. Bungle, I think it would be much fun.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:53:17 PM by sueño »