Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 921541 times)

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
I still think JP might mean just Sleep Paralysis as a section is instrumental. I can't see a 2 or 3 minute track - which it must be if it's going to be an intro tape - being called a suite.
I'm pretty sure False Awakening Suite's YARGGG on the album list - so, yeah, all instrumental.

You can call plenty of instrumental things suites, and likewise plenty of short things. Holst's "The Planets" is a suite, and it's entirely instrumental. Handel's written four-minute suites. All the track needs to do, based on what we know, is to mutate between three distinct styles. That's easy, there's plenty of time to do that in three or four minutes. No reason False Awakening can't be...

*ahem*

...short and suite.

Hmm, not convinced. I have no problem with a suite being entirely instrumental, but I'm not sure the analogy with classical music works too well, because by that definition a suite MUST be instrumental. DT has referred to A Mind Beside Itself and The Twelve Steps as suites before, so we know the band doesn't work along the same lines.

But my main problem is the issue of length. Even three minutes is too long for an intro tape in my opinion, and I can't see how they can call a 2.5 minute long track a suite. But we'll see. I'm just not relying too much on the whiteboard we saw in the video.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
^ It's possible that instead of having the intro play over the PA, they actually perform it. JP did mention they often use a movie soundtrack as the intro. On the CiM tour, they opened with Also Sprach Zarathustra from Space Odyssey: 2001 I believe? Anyway, they actually performed it instead of just playing it over the speakers so they could be doing that.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
He says 'technically' it's an instrumental. There might be some spoken word stuff or something.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
Having just watched the Dream Is Collapsing Intro video on the 2012 tour, that was roughly 2:50 in length. So 3 minutes isnt an entirely unlikely length for the intro video for this upcoming tour

Offline cyberdrummer

^ It's possible that instead of having the intro play over the PA, they actually perform it. JP did mention they often use a movie soundtrack as the intro. On the CiM tour, they opened with Also Sprach Zarathustra from Space Odyssey: 2001 I believe? Anyway, they actually performed it instead of just playing it over the speakers so they could be doing that.

As far as I'm aware, that's the only time they've done that, and it sounds like a bit of an MP idea. But possibly. I'm open to ideas :lol

Offline dparrott

And on 6DOIT, they had the overture over the speakers, then the band started with About To Crash.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline cyberdrummer

Well that's a different case altogether, because Overture is part of the same song.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

"Centerpiece" does not literally mean "in the middle".

Then it shouldn't be called a centerpiece, especially when coupled with a statement like 'in the sea' of shorter songs. It's misleading.   :yeahright
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
A played intro would be so cool.
But I just don't see this opening as an overture, don't know why...

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?

Then it shouldn't be called a centerpiece, especially when coupled with a statement like 'in the sea' of shorter songs. It's misleading.   :yeahright

Centerpiece simply means it's kind of the main event so to speak. "Among a sea of shorter songs" simply means that there's mostly shorter songs on the disc. He never stated where these tracks lie on the album.

Offline MarkFitDT

Centerpiece simply means it's kind of the main event so to speak. "Among a sea of shorter songs" simply means that there's mostly shorter songs on the disc. He never stated where these tracks lie on the album.

That is exactly way I understood it as well.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price

Well that's a problem you should take up with whoever is in charge of the English language.

Offline lyfeternl

cen·ter·piece
/ˈsentərˌpēs/

Noun
1.) A decorative piece or display placed in the middle of a dining or serving table.
2.) An item or issue intended to be a focus of attention: "the tower is the centerpiece of the park".

Synonyms
centrepiece
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline dparrott

Well that's a different case altogether, because Overture is part of the same song.

JP said he wanted the first track to be like their theme music, so the first part of FAS would be the overture, then the band would start part two....

...or am I way off here?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline cyberdrummer

Oh right I see what you mean. I agree, I can only see Sleep Paralysis being used as the intro tape, and then the band kick into the rest. Which of course could be entirely instrumental. 

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.

cen·ter·piece
/ˈsentərˌpēs/

Noun
1.) A decorative piece or display placed in the middle of a dining or serving table.
2.) An item or issue intended to be a focus of attention: "the tower is the centerpiece of the park".

Synonyms
centrepiece

:lol That should wrap up the confusion there.

This was definitely the most informative of the three videos. Like others have said, I actually learned something this time. There's a bass solo, the opening track is instrumental, and we also heard about a second of new music.  :tup
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Oh right I see what you mean. I agree, I can only see Sleep Paralysis being used as the intro tape, and then the band kick into the rest. Which of course could be entirely instrumental.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.

cen·ter·piece
/ˈsentərˌpēs/

Noun

Synonyms
centrepiece

:lol That should wrap up the confusion there.

This was definitely the most informative of the three videos. Like others have said, I actually learned something this time. There's a bass solo, the opening track is instrumental, and we also heard about a second of new music.  :tup

Yeah, but see, I thought that when he said centerpiece, he was using it as a metaphor, where the album would be the dining table. And obviously, the plates on the dining table are filled with chocolate cake.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
The "centerpiece" of an album can be anywhere, IMO. Octavarium is obviously the centerpiece of that record, and it's at the end.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
The discussions in this thread are awful.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Standard "your face" joke.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

and centerpiece is just one of those discussions

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach

True, but the lack of concrete facts from RR to discuss is awful as well.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
What lack of concrete facts is there? The album is still two god damned months out, why would they release a ton of information on it this early?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Yea, between the "prog vs progressive" debate and the mass panic when people thought the album was only 70 minutes...I just thought that would end when we got some new info to chew on. Guess at this point I should've known better.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Flacracker

What lack of concrete facts is there? The album is still two god damned months out, why would they release a ton of information on it this early?
BECAUSE, DAMMIT!

Offline lyfeternl

Bad topics are the...centerpiece...of this thread

:neverusethis:
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Bad topics are the...centerpiece...of this thread

Does that mean I find the worst topics on page 37?

"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

True, but the lack of concrete facts from RR to discuss is awful as well.

im not sure what people are expecting. DT already gives out more details than a lot of other bands

also everyone break out the tin foil hats. a suite with the first part instrumental?????

that can only mean this is a recreation of awake. much like ADTOE and I&W!!!11!

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

No one is holding a gun to your head to come post here...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods

JP said he wanted the first track to be like their theme music, so the first part of FAS would be the overture, then the band would start part two....

...or am I way off here?

I said exactly this two pages back, or more. I immediately thought, so then they might play Sleep Paralysis over the speakers, then the band, or better just the band for night terrors,  then JLB comes in for Lucid Dreams, it being the longest of the parts.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member

everyone has the right to their opinion on the fact that people are mad JP used the word 'centerpiece' and didn't mean the middle track on the album

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert

everyone has the right to their opinion on the fact that people are mad JP used the word 'centerpiece' and didn't mean the middle track on the album

Fans have a right to complain about whatever they want. It's part of being a fan.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
exactly so the popular defense of 'No one is holding a gun to your head to come post here' is pointless. there are stupid discussions in this thread and people can say that

refer to dubstep some pages back, 70 mins being too short, centerpiece, etc..