Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 117241 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Tim Lincecum Lays the Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #630 on: March 17, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
All of it will be part of his legacy.  All of it.  There will always be those who act like only one of the extremes matters and that the other does not, but the reality is that all of it matters. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #631 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »
Sure ain't no Elgin Baylor.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #632 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:27 PM »
All of it will be part of his legacy.  All of it.  There will always be those who act like only one of the extremes matters and that the other does not, but the reality is that all of it matters.

I agree.

My question is more along the lines of what basketball fandom as a whole will think.  Players are remembered based on their symbolic value moreso than what they actually did on the court. 

For example - people forget that MJ and Kobe's games were 99% the same.  Obviously, that 1% is unbelievably important.  It's the difference between the greatest player ever and one whose greatness is very questionable.  But people talk about how much better a team player Jordan was as if he perfectly gracefully balanced shooting and passing.  I've been some of Jordan's games - he's just as aggressive a shooter as Kobe.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:54:02 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #633 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:57 PM »
I think 1% is a bit off. Maybe 80%. Jordan seemed to win games in the first half the way he'd learn his opponents' every nuance, exploit them, and execute at a level only ever seen previously when combining Red's coaching virtuosity with Russell's and Cousy's consummate excellence through versatility as well as execution. Phil has more rings but Red probably would've ended up with more had he hung around even though Phil seems to be a bit better at evolving with the times as a means of staying in touch with each new generation on a mental level. What I mean by this is that Jordan, despite having fewer rings than the '50s/60s Celts, is very likely the single most valuable player in NBA history when judging for direct effect on team titles. Kobe is more a product of having Shaq/Phil/Pau.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #634 on: March 18, 2014, 09:21:19 AM »
ReaP, how old are you?  I am guessing young enough to have never really seen Jordan play on a regular basis, hence you saying you have seen some of his games, meaning you probably saw a few of his games on ESPN Classic or something, right?  In other words, you weren't around when he was at his peak (not talking about his days with the Wizards after he foolishly came back), cause if you were, you wouldn't be saying that he and Bryant were 99% similar.  Just because they were both shooting guards who were volume shooters doesn't mean they were essentially the same player.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #635 on: March 18, 2014, 10:54:03 AM »
ReaP, how old are you?  I am guessing young enough to have never really seen Jordan play on a regular basis, hence you saying you have seen some of his games, meaning you probably saw a few of his games on ESPN Classic or something, right?  In other words, you weren't around when he was at his peak (not talking about his days with the Wizards after he foolishly came back), cause if you were, you wouldn't be saying that he and Bryant were 99% similar.  Just because they were both shooting guards who were volume shooters doesn't mean they were essentially the same player.

Most of what I've seen of Jordan is the second three-peat version.  Most of what I've seen of Kobe is the post-Shaq part of his career.  To me, those two players are very similar.

Haven't really seen Shaq-era Kobe.  Only seen a little of pre-first retirement Jordan.  Maybe they were more different.
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: March 26, 2014, 06:23:26 AM »
It looks like we'll be getting another Spurs/Heat final or maybe Thunder/Heat. Either way, Indiana has been playing dreadfully the last 10 games and they don't seem to be able to pick up the slack. And even though the Heat have also had a slump the last couple of days we all know there is no threat for them in the east.

Do you guys think there'll be mayor changes with the upcoming free agency and draft or will we get another year of Miami cruising to the finals due to the lack of opposition?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #637 on: March 26, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »
As a Heat fan who loathes the Pacers, I'd rather Miami win by beating the best at their best. I haven't been able to watch basketball lately, but it seems like Ind is in a really bad spot. Still, they should get to the ECF with Miami. And hopefully lose.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #638 on: March 26, 2014, 10:19:25 AM »
Indiana's offense has always been shaky. It doesn't help that Paul George's efficiency has gone down the toilet the past few months, either. The real exciting part of the playoffs to me will be seeing teams like Washington and Charlotte in there for the first time in ages. And also the entire Western Conference.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #639 on: March 26, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »
The worst Lakers team in history dropped 51 points in a quarter on the Knicks. LOOOOOOOOOOL
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #640 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:26 PM »
who are "the Knicks"?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #641 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »
is that a basketball team?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #642 on: March 26, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »
I'm sorry for the misspelling, I meant to say the

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #643 on: March 26, 2014, 08:55:56 PM »
I fucking hate the Pacers.

David West travels but it's ok, gets a 3.

Wade makes a 3 but gets called OOB.

Fucking dirty ass players.

I hope Miami destroys them in the ECF.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #644 on: March 26, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »
lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #645 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »
Honestly, I don't, at this point, expect the Heat to 3-peat.  I have zero confidence in Wade and Allen to both be healthy throughout the playoffs, and Miami will likely have to win it all by not having home court in both the ECF and Finals, which I am not sure this team is cut out to overcome this year (last year's team was better and still needed two Game 7s at home, against Indiana and SA, to repeat). 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #646 on: March 27, 2014, 12:32:36 AM »
I can't believe I'm making this post:

If I were better at Vegas, I'd bet the field.  But, Miami can't be counted out until they're gone.  Indiana's too shaky.  OKC and SA are great, but the Heat already beat both of them in different finals series.  I love what the Clippers are doing, but they have holes and are untested.

Also, LeBron James.
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: March 27, 2014, 06:47:08 AM »
Forget what I said yesterday, I'm putting the Pacers back as contenders only because they really want to beat Miami.

Also, LeBron James.

He's been playing through an injury for the last couple of months and going into the playoffs not healthy might affect his game. He's still Lebron though.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #648 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:54 AM »
Miami can say what they want, but this season the injuries and the wear and tear from making the finals all those times in a row is wearing them down, and they seem to have settled into the "we'll turn it on in the playoffs." Teams are clinching divisions, guys, you'd better turn it up now if you don't want to get bounced BEFORE the Conference finals. They're losing to multiple sub .500 teams, it isn't that much of a stretch to see them going out early, if they keep playing down to the level of their competition. Still the team to beat, don't get me wrong, but this is the most vulnerable they've been since James came on board.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #649 on: March 27, 2014, 09:31:54 AM »
Miami can say what they want, but this season the injuries and the wear and tear from making the finals all those times in a row is wearing them down, and they seem to have settled into the "we'll turn it on in the playoffs." Teams are clinching divisions, guys, you'd better turn it up now if you don't want to get bounced BEFORE the Conference finals. They're losing to multiple sub .500 teams, it isn't that much of a stretch to see them going out early, if they keep playing down to the level of their competition. Still the team to beat, don't get me wrong, but this is the most vulnerable they've been since James came on board.

This to me is their biggest issue.  Right now, the Pacers, Thunder, Spurs, and Clippers would all have homecourt against Miami in a seven game series.  Even Houston's record right now is tied with Miami's.  That's a major disadvantage to fight against.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #650 on: March 27, 2014, 09:40:15 AM »
A lot can still happen, but the Spurs appear to be on a mission to avenge themselves for that Game 6 collapse.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #651 on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
A lot can still happen, but the Spurs appear to be on a mission to avenge themselves for that Game 6 collapse.

The Spurs machine just keeps on going and going.

Especially if they win this year or next, the Spurs need to be remembered as the greatest team of this era, and Duncan as the greatest superstar.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #652 on: March 27, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »
I think it's likely that James will go down as being better than Duncan when it's all said and done, but Duncan should be ahead of both Shaq and Bryant on the all-time list.  He isn't top 5 all-time, but he's in that 6-10 range.  It's criminal how underrated he really is.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: March 27, 2014, 11:57:07 AM »
To both of you

:clap:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #654 on: March 27, 2014, 12:29:52 PM »
Tim Duncan is the GOAT of nonchalant greatness.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #655 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
I love Tim Duncan.

I love this gif:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #656 on: March 27, 2014, 12:53:16 PM »
Wade's face :lol

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #657 on: March 27, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: March 28, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
I love watching the Spurs play, it almost seems like they could do it with their eyes closed

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #659 on: March 31, 2014, 11:04:34 PM »
Miami has officially coasted to the #1 seed :rollin

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #660 on: April 01, 2014, 06:11:13 AM »
And all is right with the world

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #661 on: April 02, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »
I know it is a bit early now, but if I have a vote, the COY has to be Tom Thibodeau! No D Rose, no more Nate or Deng? No problem, the Bulls are still right up there in the standing, wow! Otherwise, Jeff Hornacek would be my next choice. Also, I think Dwane Casey of the Raptors is equally deserving. The Raptors started off poorly (6-12), but they began winning after they traded away Gay and went on a 36-20 run since. I don't care if they are in the East, they basically have no star power up there in Toronto. Their leading scorer is DeMar DeRozan for crying out loud. What's your top 3 COY choices?
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: April 02, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
I'm gonna go with the obvious choice of Popovic, the Spurs continue to play incredible basketball, all the new team members have adjusted perfectly to the system and the team was able to overcome a rough couple of month where every single starter got injured and sometimes more than one at the time. Plus they are on a record season so yeah.
Second I'd go for Dwane Casey since as Azyiu points out, their team sucks and still they are able to maintain that 3rd place in the East.
Third I'd probably put Kevin Mchale, The Rockets have been playing some good basketball and Harden and Howard seem to be getting along pretty good.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #663 on: April 07, 2014, 04:39:46 AM »
Looking like it's going to be Miami and Toronto in the ECF. The Pacers are worse than garbage right now honestly they might lose to The Bobcats in the first round :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #664 on: April 07, 2014, 06:47:48 AM »
Yep, after seeing Hibbert sit out the whole second half yesterday it's pretty clear there are issues in that locker room