Author Topic: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Adam Silver Lays the Pipe on Donald Sterling ©2014antigoon  (Read 116523 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: 2013-14 NBA thread v. Tim Lincecum Lays the Pipe on the Padres
« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2014, 02:53:43 PM »
^ BEWARE THE SLIM REAPER!

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #491 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:06 PM »

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #492 on: January 28, 2014, 06:38:16 PM »
I think all the talk about how Westbrook was the real leader of the Thunder got to him.

I don't know anyone but Skip Bayless who said that. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #493 on: January 28, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »
Skip wasn't saying that at all until recently he was the one saying Durant was better than LeBron. Now Durant has no clutch gene and disappears in the 4th quarter according to Skip.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #494 on: January 28, 2014, 07:29:29 PM »
I think all the talk about how Westbrook was the real leader of the Thunder got to him.

Also a Bill Simmons theory.  I remember it being bandied about on RealGM too.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #495 on: January 31, 2014, 02:27:15 PM »

Also a Bill Simmons theory.  I remember it being bandied about on RealGM too.

Bill's lost a little credibility with me recently. A couple of months ago he was saying Paul George might be better than Durant.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #496 on: January 31, 2014, 03:18:28 PM »
Bill's lost a little credibility with me recently. A couple of months ago he was saying Paul George might be better than Durant.

Until Durant's recent surge, that wasn't a ridiculous opinion.  PG's defense helps his case a lot.

That said, I have to agree with you in a broader sense.  I think he's spreading himself so thin that he's not watching enough actual games, which hurts his ability to see what's happening.
Over and over again

Offline Azyiu

« Reply #497 on: January 31, 2014, 08:17:28 PM »
The Thunder @ Nets game is one of the very few enjoyable blow out games to watch. Not that I hate the Nets, but watching KD playing like tonight, despite pretty good D from the Nets (early on), is just fun!
1949, 1950, 1952, 1953,
1954, 1972, 1980, 1982,
1985, 1987, 1988, 2000,
2001, 2002, 2009, 2010... 2020

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #498 on: January 31, 2014, 08:43:37 PM »
So KD's 30 point streak ended.  What a shame.  Guess you can't be hot forever.  Back to the LeBron worship.

Wait, what?

He scored all those points in 30 minutes shooting 10-12 from the field?

So trying to build my impressions of Basketball from headlines doesn't work?

Whoops.
Over and over again

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #499 on: February 01, 2014, 05:32:20 AM »
At one point Durant and Ibaka had more points combined that the whole Nets team. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #500 on: February 01, 2014, 03:33:29 PM »
Boring Celtics trade teadline predictions:

Ainge makes at least one trade
Rondo stays
Wallace stays, though not for lack of trying by Ainge
Sullinger stays
If the Celtics make a trade, a draft pick is either going out or coming back in.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #501 on: February 01, 2014, 11:07:34 PM »
No more David Stern.  The nightmare's finally over.  I'm not really joking.
Over and over again

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #502 on: February 02, 2014, 12:09:48 AM »
Commissioners are guilty until proven innocent in my eyes. New guy has to earn his trust before I consider any nightmares over.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #503 on: February 02, 2014, 05:08:52 AM »
Boring Celtics trade teadline predictions:

Ainge makes at least one trade
Rondo stays
Wallace stays, though not for lack of trying by Ainge
Sullinger stays
If the Celtics make a trade, a draft pick is either going out or coming back in.

They could trade the whole team right now.  Rondo's value in low right now so It won't happen until next year when he's fully recovered.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #504 on: February 02, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »
I don't know why everyone expects Rondo to be traded.  No upside for Ainge.  You need stars to win titles.  If you have one, why trade him?
Over and over again

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #505 on: February 02, 2014, 09:01:19 AM »
Depends on the lottery this year really.  But to be honest Rondo is already talking about looking forward to free agency so that there is a red flag to get what you can for him when you're that bad now.  Rondo won't come out and say it  but he's looking to leave and I don't blame him to get this last big, long term contract.

https://greenstreet.weei.com/sports/boston/basketball/celtics/2014/02/01/rajon-rondo-says-possibility-of-free-agency-intriguing/
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #506 on: February 02, 2014, 01:45:20 PM »
I get the other factors involved as for why Rondo might want to leave the Celtics, but I don't think a star player saying he's looking forward to free agency is signaling that he wants to leave. I'm sure the allure of wining and dining with a bunch of executives who desperately want your services is a thrill. If I was a big time player I'd definitely like to experience that, even if I had no plans of actually leaving.   

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #507 on: February 02, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »
I don't think Rondo wants to leave, I think he wants the team to make a commitment.  Ainge tried to trade him multiple times.  And he's still not taking him totally off the table. 

If Rondo could sign a five year extension now I think he would, but the CBA only lets him sign one for three years, which he's not going to do.  He's going to be 28 or 29 when he signs his next contract, which will also be his last big contract.  I don't know if he wants the full 105 million dollar max, but he's going to want a big contract, especially after playing at such a discount on his current one.  He's going to want five years, and I have a hard time believing he won't ask for a no trade clause.

I'm biased because I like Rondo, but I don't see him planning on leaving.  I see someone who knows what Ainge is like and doesn't want to let the narrative of his free agency get out of his control.  He wants to negotiate on his terms.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #508 on: February 02, 2014, 01:48:41 PM »
You like Rondo?  Well, that is more than can be said for a lot of his teammates over the years. :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #509 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:19 PM »
I think we all know Ainge is a gunslinger and I'm just guessing he will at some point pull the trigger.  When stories from many of the beat writers say the same thing there's got to be some truth to it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #510 on: February 02, 2014, 01:56:02 PM »
You like Rondo?  Well, that is more than can be said for a lot of his teammates over the years. :lol :lol

That's a cheap shot and you know it.  It's not even true at the moment.  His current teammates seem to like him.

I think we all know Ainge is a gunslinger and I'm just guessing he will at some point pull the trigger.  When stories from many of the beat writers say the same thing there's got to be some truth to it.

Ainge is also good at trading though.  He's not going to let Rondo go in some mindless salary dump or draft pick dump.  People don't realize that Ainge is actually very conservative about trading.  He wasn't willing to trade Doc unless it was for a 1st.  He didn't trade Pierce and KG until he get three 1sts and a pick swap.  He got a 1st for Crawford (highly protected, but still) and an actual player (Bayless) for Lee.  If Rondo goes, it will be for a package like Jrue Holiday and two 1sts (no specific info, just setting a line of expectation).  He apparently already turned down an offer from the Kings for McLeMore, two 1sts, and another good player.

Beat writers are to be taken with a grain of salt when it comes to front office strategy.  Especially when it comes to someone like Ainge who hides what he does very well.  Except for the Doc trade (because it involved Doc, who clearly leaks stuff to the media), Ainge's trades tend to come out of no where.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: February 02, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »
It's not a cheap shot; based on a lot that has come out, it is largely true.  His current teammates probably like him cause they'll like any really good player who might make them better than horrible, but when it came to playing with stars, it wasn't so simple.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #512 on: February 02, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
It's not a cheap shot; based on a lot that has come out, it is largely true.  His current teammates probably like him cause they'll like any really good player who might make them better than horrible, but when it came to playing with stars, it wasn't so simple.

If my older veteran teammates were treating me like a dippy little brother while I was using my floor management skills to make them look better than they are, I'd be hard to get along with too.

You're trying to paint Rondo as a bad teammate, which he isn't.
Over and over again

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #513 on: February 02, 2014, 05:43:33 PM »
Rondo a good teammate? I'm sure Ray Allen would completely agree with that :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #514 on: February 02, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
Rondo a good teammate? I'm sure Ray Allen would completely agree with that :lol

Does that matter?
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #515 on: February 02, 2014, 10:03:59 PM »
Considering that my comment you objected to was, "You like Rondo?  Well, that is more than can be said for a lot of his teammates over the years," then, yes, it matters, since Ray Allen was, ya know, one of his teammates over the years. :lol

As for Rondo making those veterans look better than they were, I guess it didn't take long for you to turn on those future Hall of Famers that got your Celtics their first ring in over 20 years, eh?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #516 on: February 02, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »
Considering that my comment you objected to was, "You like Rondo?  Well, that is more than can be said for a lot of his teammates over the years," then, yes, it matters, since Ray Allen was, ya know, one of his teammates over the years. :lol

What I mean is - Ray disliked Rondo for reasons that had to nothing to do with Rondo.  Ray resented how Rondo was taking on a bigger role within the team at the expense of his own.

As for Rondo making those veterans look better than they were, I guess it didn't take long for you to turn on those future Hall of Famers that got your Celtics their first ring in over 20 years, eh?

Not at all.  But in a pure basketball sense, people say Rondo looked good because he played with three future hall of famers, when really it was the other way around.  That's not meant to diminish them at all.
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: February 02, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »
Given the limited role Ray Allen has had on the Heat, I don't think he has a problem with having a smaller role.  Rondo's asshole personality (which has been talked about in enough places for me to trust that it is accurate) was likely the bigger issue.

And while a good point guard can make players look better, he is nothing without finishers around him, so it is more fair to say that they all benefited from each others' presence.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #518 on: February 02, 2014, 11:52:12 PM »
Given the limited role Ray Allen has had on the Heat, I don't think he has a problem with having a smaller role.  Rondo's asshole personality (which has been talked about in enough places for me to trust that it is accurate) was likely the bigger issue.

Even Ray didn't frame it that way though.  Ray tried very hard to make it look like Boston slighted him, but he never talked about Rondo being an asshole.  The one thing I remember him talking about was how, during the 2009 offseason, there was a trade being discussed that would send Ray and Rondo to the Suns for Stat and Barbosa.  Ray said he asked Rondo to say something to the front office about the trade, and Rondo didn't bother.  This just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm loathe to believe anything Doc says.  Seeing what he's doing with the Clippers, it's clear that everything he says to the media is BS spin.  Spin that's good for the team (which is why I still kinda like Doc), but spin.  In spite of all this, his account of why Ray left seems to be the most accurate.  I've never really read or heard anything that credibly contradicts it.

And while a good point guard can make players look better, he is nothing without finishers around him, so it is more fair to say that they all benefited from each others' presence.

Fair.
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #519 on: February 03, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »
We should be talking about the Raptors right now. If they make it to the second round I will be so, so unbelievably happy.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #520 on: February 03, 2014, 03:45:09 PM »
We should be talking about the Raptors right now. If they make it to the second round I will be so, so unbelievably happy.

Four seed in the east.  Not impossible.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #521 on: February 03, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfdwK-IC6M

Adam Silver's first fine is coming up very soon.
Over and over again

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #522 on: February 04, 2014, 06:53:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urfdwK-IC6M

Adam Silver's first fine is coming up very soon.

:lol I love how he points out every single referee
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #524 on: February 05, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
The title of this thread makes me laugh every time I see it.