Author Topic: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?  (Read 17896 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?
« on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:01 PM »
So I listened to this song again today, courtesy of shuffle, and for some reason it hit me in a certain way that it never did before. I had always liked that song, but man, something changed for me during this one listen.

Anyway, in this thread discuss or simply appreciate all things Space-Dye Vest.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Re: Space-Dye Vest Appreciation v. Do you really think I need you?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
It's the last song I've listened to today. In the car, singing along lyrics and samples.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:36 PM »
It's a beautiful work of art 
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
Top 5 DT song.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:22 PM »
Appreciated. One of the best on the album for sure :tup
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »
Last time I checked it was some 45 in my list, but too much time has passed since then. Now I think it would sit very confortable in the top 20  :tup
- Marco

Offline Ħ

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:55:50 PM »
I like it as a song, but IMO it sounds like a keyboard demo, not a fully produced song. Also, the fade-out clips at the very end. A pet peeve of mine.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:12 PM »
I like it as a song, but IMO it sounds like a keyboard demo, not a fully produced song. Also, the fade-out clips at the very end. A pet peeve of mine.

You should listen to the original KM demo of the song. I myself discovered it just a few days ago. It's on the Kevin Moore release called "Music Meant To Be Heard"  :tup
- Marco

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »
Its my favorite from Awake.

Offline Dacling

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 03:09:53 PM »
I like the song fine and all but personally I think it's the weakest song on the album and the weakest song pre Falling Into Infinity. Maybe it just hasn't hit me yet.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 03:18:54 PM »
It's my favorite song of all time. And I love it because it's the closer of my favorite DT album, the last good one that needed to click, and it helped it click with me, and also because it prompted me to finally check out KM's solo works, which unloaded a huge, uhm, load of beauty on me.

I am probably going to tell the full story, if I can remember, when it comes the time to do my top 50, but way before I figured out the meaning of the song, and the story of Kevin's leaving, it always resonated really hard. And I've found out that's the case for most people, whether they like it or dislike it, they almost always have something strong to say about it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 03:31:47 PM »
I like it well-enough. I place it in the same vein as "Wait For Sleep", "Anna Lee", "Disappear", "The Answer Lies Within", and "Beneath The Surface". They all have that soft and beautiful yet depressing sound that is quite appealing. DT seem to do those types of songs pretty well, especially when piano is involved.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
Definitely a grower for me.  It would come up on shuffle, and once I heard the first few notes, I would skip.  One day I decided to listed to it the whole way through.  So much power and emotion in its simplicity.

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 04:55:40 PM »
Appreciated. One of the best on the album for sure :tup

:smiley:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »
Pretty good and powerful song, but not one of DTs best even on Awake IMO.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
I dont care if its the best song or not. But I do enjoy the heck out of it especially when im down.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 06:39:58 PM »
Very emotional, and with great lyrics. The riff of the piano intro is so brilliant, powerful, and even catchy. I love it. When the drums come in... Chills down my spine. I could never be open again...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:44:03 PM »
I like it well-enough. I place it in the same vein as "Wait For Sleep", "Anna Lee", "Disappear", "The Answer Lies Within", and "Beneath The Surface". They all have that soft and beautiful yet depressing sound that is quite appealing. DT seem to do those types of songs pretty well, especially when piano is involved.

-Marc.

Why didn't you list Far From Heave among these? Is it a case if simply forgetting or something rlse, because I think it could very well be grouped among those and I also think it's better than at least half the songs you did name.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline FsF

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:56 PM »
The best.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
I love it. For an album as heavy and dark as Awake, it's a perfect closer: a slow-paced, melancholic, atmospheric song. The "never be open again" part is a bit too long, but nothing to worry much ;D

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »

-Marc.

Why didn't you list Far From Heave among these? Is it a case if simply forgetting or something rlse, because I think it could very well be grouped among those and I also think it's better than at least half the songs you did name.

I think I just forgot it, but you're right, it would belong.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 07:47:36 PM »
Overrated but still good.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline 54_diplomats

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 08:35:02 PM »
Top 10 for sure. Love the song and it always makes me sad that Kevin Moore left ;_;

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 08:57:04 PM »
Very emotional, and with great lyrics. The riff of the piano intro is so brilliant, powerful, and even catchy. I love it. When the drums come in... Chills down my spine. I could never be open again...

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
10 ten. Maybe top 5 for me.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »
I love how many different emotions are expressed in it... anger, desolation, rejection, bitterness, sadness, wonder, despair, desperation. A DT top 10 piece.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
I love how many different emotions are expressed in it... anger, desolation, rejection, bitterness, sadness, wonder, despair, desperation. A DT top 10 piece.

Sounds like me in highschool
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 09:28:30 PM »

-Marc.

The gentleman's wisdom knows no bounds.

Pretty good and powerful song, but not one of DTs best even on Awake IMO.

This applies too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 09:36:40 PM »

Sounds like me in highschool

Might be why it was my favorite DT song then.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »

-Marc.

Ironically enough, I really enjoy this side of DT, and it seems to pop up on nearly every album. "Wither" is sort of like that, as well, and while it rocks a bit harder than the others, it still has that bitter-sweet sentimentality to it. Of course, there is the piano-version of the song that totally fits this mood.

I also forgot to mention "Vacant" among those songs as well. I made a mix once that involved all of those songs - it was pretty depressing, but highly enjoyable.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:50:58 PM by The Letter M »

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 12:37:31 AM »
It's my favorite song of all time. And I love it because it's the closer of my favorite DT album, the last good one that needed to click, and it helped it click with me, and also because it prompted me to finally check out KM's solo works, which unloaded a huge, uhm, load of beauty on me.
So you just revealed your #1 song before you even started your top 50 DT list! :neverusethis: Well, I wouldn't have been surprised anyway...

But yeah, it's no secret that I love this song - I agree with everything you said, except that I wouldn't call it my favorite song of all time, although it's pretty close. I'll never understand the hate this song gets (except maybe the use of samples), but I think the fact that it divides opinions so strongly says something about its impact.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:44:05 AM by ? »

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 03:27:42 AM »
One of my favorite "not so DT style" songs. I couldn't imagine a best closing track for Awake. It's like Kevin is saying goodbye to DT and leaving it all behind, with a bittersweet feeling.

Probably one of the most emotional songs from DT, along with Vacant and Disappear. I love it so much, and James (along with Kevin's hidden vocals) does and incredible job. He is great when singing these low key soft songs, his voice is so warm and full of emotions.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:25 AM »
So you just revealed your #1 song before you even started your top 50 DT list! :neverusethis: Well, I wouldn't have been surprised anyway...

But yeah, it's no secret that I love this song - I agree with everything you said, except that I wouldn't call it my favorite song of all time, although it's pretty close. I'll never understand the hate this song gets (except maybe the use of samples), but I think the fact that it divides opinions so strongly says something about its impact.
Well like anyone would have been surprised :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:56 AM »

-Marc.

Wot 'ee said.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Glass Moonlight

• You can ride the red until everybody smiles
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 05:03:41 AM »
I have a long story involving this song I'll probably save for my Top 50 songs, but damn, I'll say this song is absolutely insane. It is so beautiful yet so fucking draining at the same time, there's so much emotion in this one piece and the Kevin and James singing together just makes the whole thing sound very unsettling.
When someone says my heart needs lifting
Don't ask how come, ask how high!