Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 194313 times)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Lost Control
« Reply #700 on: December 15, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Every time I introduce someone to Opeth it's with Ghost of Perdition.  That song defines all of Opeth's best qualities to me.
One hell of a song.

This.....also why it's my favorite!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #701 on: December 16, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
Just wanted to say that Patterns in the Ivy is criminally underrated. That main motif is a thing of beauty and can't think of another song in the the <2 minute range that I enjoy as much.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: December 16, 2012, 04:19:22 PM »
Every time I introduce someone to Opeth it's with Ghost of Perdition.  That song defines all of Opeth's best qualities to me.
One hell of a song.

You're doing it right.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #703 on: December 17, 2012, 05:25:59 AM »
Great song indeed.

This is way late but I had my first "real" Opeth show a wee while back (last time there was no growls) it was so awesome. I'd never seen any live videos or anything so I couldn't really imagine Mikael making those noises cos he's so sweet and has such a soft singing voice  :lol

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #704 on: December 21, 2012, 01:00:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au4cWxpKR5A&feature=player_embedded

So, North American Tour? (if yes, this is the most awkward promotion video ever)

And apparently ""Tell me about your band" or something completely shit like that." was the most interesting interview question Mikeal got this year.
Full interview:
https://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/news/opeth-survey-20121221

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #705 on: December 21, 2012, 01:07:45 PM »
I don't know what's so awkward about it... It's not very interesting, and it's not very imaginative. But it spells it out pretty clearly and...that, as they say, is that. Still, AWESOME! I think I'll go see them this time, regardless of what the setlists will be.

That's really sad about the interview thing... Sucks to hear this year sucked for 'ole Mike...  :-\ At least, it is almost over and people can pretend that a new made-up calendar year brings about a fresh start despite the fact that not a single fucking thing changes WOOOOOOOOOOOO! No but really I hope next year is better for Mike and the band and they get some inspiration. Or a nice blowjob. (from my avatar)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #706 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:33 PM »
I can't believe some people actually misinterpreted that video as a promo for the upcoming Opeth album.  :facepalm:

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: December 21, 2012, 01:23:47 PM »
Mikael seems like a pessimist. His best year would probably still be "pretty shit" for him. It's just his personality.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #708 on: December 21, 2012, 02:56:44 PM »
I read that interview too. I hope Mikael doesn't feel his year has been "pretty shit" because of all the Heritage haters during the tours. There are enough people that love Heritage (including me).

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #709 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
Heritage is amazing and the haters can suck my marrow of..my...earth....earthy dick. Mmmeh.

RIP DTP.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #710 on: December 22, 2012, 04:03:27 AM »
No knock on the interview, but I really don't get the point of having one as short and unenlightening as that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #711 on: December 22, 2012, 05:21:36 AM »
Mikael does sound pretty pessimistic in that interview - I remember a few months ago someone posted an interview link on the Opeth forum and Mike's answers sounded pretty cynical in that one, too. Anders of Katatonia also said recently that the North American tour planned for this fall was cancelled because Mikael was so exhausted from all the touring.

Hopefully he isn't getting a burnout... I know I shouldn't speculate too much, but I have a feeling he might be starting to feel limited within Opeth. He still seemed pretty enthusiastic last spring in the Storm Corrosion interviews. And even though he's said he doesn't care what anyone thinks of Opeth, he may have been affected by all the shit he has taken from the metal fans who bash Heritage and beg them to return to metal. I hope Mikael won't pull a Steven Wilson and put Opeth on ice, but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if he did. However, I'm sure there'll be at least one more Opeth album and hopefully Mikael will get his energy back after some rest.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #712 on: December 22, 2012, 05:48:24 AM »
This is one of the first interviews of Mikael I read, and I am not familiar with his personality, but judging on this few scant lines he looks very down to me  :-\

I hope he gets better. Even though I didn't like Heritage at all, we always need one more Opeth album.  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #713 on: December 22, 2012, 05:51:01 AM »
It would explain his lack of any cheerfulness at the last show I saw him (2 weeks ago).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #714 on: December 22, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »
It would explain his lack of any cheerfulness at the last show I saw him (2 weeks ago).
Indeed, but it may have also been due to the large part of the audience that seemed to be bored during the show.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #715 on: December 22, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »
Yeah, but what can he do, it's not his fault some people dislike Heritage. If I attended a show, I'd make my way to front row center and rock as hard as I can to Heritage tunes, until I manage to put a smile on his face. Here's to a better year for Mikael, and hopefully for another fine prog rock record as soon as possible.  :smiley:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #716 on: December 22, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »
I think people disliking it is one thing, but people death-threatening him and his family is taking it way too far. It's just music. While music personally means the world to me, and it's my biggest passion, going that far because you didn't like a certain album, that's just retarded.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #717 on: December 22, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
After-edit disclaimer: I kind of went of on some Opeth fans, none of which is directed to anyone here. Heated discussion with friends not too long ago combined with my less-than-intelligent decision to read Youtube comments on Heritage videos made me irritated and Hitler-esque.

Another after-edit: Funny you just posted that Zant.  :lol Akerfeldt defenders UNITE!

I honestly wouldn't mind Akerfeldt pulling a Wilson and putting Opeth on hold to let his creative juices flow and get back into the groove of enjoying himself (or even if it was under Opeth's name, as long as the band members are cohesive in thought). I mean, in the end, if so many fans are that hellbent on him being what they want him to be, fuck each and every one of them that turned so quickly. I don't adhere to the 'fans make the band' mindset, and of course it is true to a certain extent, on the other hand it...kind of isn't at all. I really don't think Akerfeldt is the type of man to soak in the success such as a band similar to, say...Metallica; who clearly is out to make money and turn their musicianship into a business. Which is perfectly fine and I'm not downplaying that aspect of the music business at all; most musicians would love it if their love for music was lucrative...to a point.

No, this band, and more so Akerfeldt himself I believe, is here to make music for himself and if he makes fans in the process, he is/has been very grateful to them and that, as they say, is that. Too long has this poor fellow been berated by witless curs that bash him for doing something original and simply because it isn't their style or it isn't what they expected. It's ridiculous to think that so-called fans are that manipulative and go from devout worshipers to Iago in a second. Hell, even if people flat out hate it, that's perfectly fine, but all of the comments I've seen on all different types of media and in-person are so hateful and ridiculously angry simply because they don't like the music and what he's doing make it seem like the majority of Opeth fans are brainless cunts who want nothing more than to satisfy their own wants.

I would just really, really love to see Akerfeldt do what he wants and basically tell the people who are clammoring for 'GROWLS OR DEATH' to go fuck themselves and do what *GASPWEEZECOUGH* makes him happy. Be it another Heritage, an evolution of that train of thought, or something completely different yet again; it'd just be nice to see this man smile on stage as well as outside of it and enjoy what he is doing. Which he clearly does not right now, and I'm pretty sure it's because his once loyal fanbase went absolutely nuts based on the fact that they didn't like the album/direction and now shun him/the band (I actually hope it's that and not something personal in his life that went awry). I mean, it's not LuLu for codfish's sake, it's a beautiful album and many people love it, and even more people despise it. Why this means the man is a 'sell-out' (which doesn't make sense), a 'pussy' (which is just juvinille) and so many other names that I won't bother mentioning is the exact reason why fans fucking suck. They're great! But fuck them and they can die.

Phew! Alright I'm done bashing the fools. Most of which are not here thankfully. Go make awesome music, Akerfeldt; go frolic in the musical notes of your wonderfully insane mind. Even if I dislike the next one, if I see a smile on his face, I will garner so much enjoyment out of it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 11:18:16 AM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #718 on: December 22, 2012, 11:40:36 AM »
I honestly wouldn't mind Akerfeldt pulling a Wilson and putting Opeth on hold to let his creative juices flow and get back into the groove of enjoying himself (or even if it was under Opeth's name, as long as the band members are cohesive in thought).
Maybe I should've worded my post differently...

I think it would be ok if Mike put Opeth on hold if he doesn't feel like doing it anymore, but I hope he won't do it because of the narrow-mindedness of some metal purists, because this is his band and he can write any kind of music he wants. I also think he won't do that anytime soon, since the music he writes is pretty band-oriented with drums and keyboards and all that stuff, and around the release of Heritage he emphasized that there'll be more music from Opeth, because that album gave the band a new life. However, in the recent interview with Prog magazine he said the ideas his recent ideas could also be used for Storm Corrosion or even for some other project and that's kind of alarming, since before he's always written just for Opeth. I wouldn't be too surprised if he got tired of the studio-release-tour cycle and the whining of metal fans probably isn't very motivating either.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #719 on: December 22, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
As a weak fan of Opeth, it still feels like progressive death metal (if that's the appropriate genre) is their main musical identity. Heritage just seems like the weird, black sheep album, and not a landmark for a new beginning. I'd like to be optimistic about Opeth's future though. If this is what Mikael wants to do, then he should do it. Hopefully we'll get something powerful on the next release.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #720 on: December 23, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
After recently listening to Watershed again, I can now comfortably put it on my Mount Rushmore of Opeth albums:

My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Watershed
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: December 23, 2012, 07:55:20 PM »
After recently listening to Watershed again, I can now comfortably put it on my Mount Rushmore of Opeth albums:

My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Watershed
Weird. I just listened to it too and had the opposite reaction.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #722 on: December 23, 2012, 08:53:07 PM »
Whats funny about it is if any fan watched the dvd they'd know Mikael mightve written their metal album, but Martin would've been dissappointed in it.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #723 on: December 24, 2012, 12:42:08 AM »

My Arms, Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Watershed

And no Ghost Reveries?!?!  :(

Definitely on mine

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #724 on: December 24, 2012, 10:43:28 PM »
Whats funny about it is if any fan watched the dvd they'd know Mikael mightve written their metal album, but Martin would've been dissappointed in it.

No offense to Mendez, but I care way more about hearing music I like than behind the scenes details.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #725 on: December 25, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
If the band themselves aren't happy with what they're making, it's better that they make something they're happy with, than to make an album and tour for 1 ½ - 2 years with material they dislike. That would probably lead to the band splitting up.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: December 25, 2012, 02:58:10 AM »
If the band themselves aren't happy with what they're making, it's better that they make something they're happy with, than to make an album and tour for 1 ½ - 2 years with material they dislike. That would probably lead to the band splitting up.
Exactly. Some people have said Mikael should've released Heritage as a solo album, but the whole band was happy with Heritage so why should the band not release something they like? Besides, Mikael has said that if and when he makes a solo album, it will be just him on acoustic guitar and vocals.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #727 on: December 25, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Considering the rotating door of Opeth, the only way they'd 'split up' was if Mikae quit.  He's the only 'integral' member IMO.l

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #728 on: December 25, 2012, 11:46:28 AM »

No offense to Mendez, but I care way more about hearing music I like than behind the scenes details.

Agreed.  There are tons of great albums that had band members not happy with them for whatever reason.  And then there are tons of subpar/average albums where the band members were all totally happy with it.

Moral of the story: take the opinions of the musicians who wrote the music with a grain of salt.  Just because they wrote and played the music doesn't mean they are the authority on how good it is or isn't.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #729 on: December 25, 2012, 11:50:43 AM »
I think the fans could tell the band is putting out metal tracks just for the sake of doing fans a favor, the honesty wouldn't be in there. Instead, the band did something that felt right for them. I for one am happy with their current sound, although mostly because I got into the band this summer, already knowing they went prog and not being used to their ''classic'' direction.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #730 on: December 25, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
Like I have all but said before, it's simple: if you don't like the new music an artist/band is putting out, then don't listen to them anymore.  That is why I did with Queensryche over 10 years ago, and if people are unhappy with the direction Opeth is taking now, then stop listening to them.  It's really not a difficult thing to do. 

And to anyone who wants to cop the "Yeah, but if Akerfeldt is gonna change the band's whole sound, then he should call it something different than Opeth, out of respect to the band's legacy" attitude, I would say, "Who are you to tell them what they can and cannot do with the band?"

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #731 on: December 25, 2012, 12:09:53 PM »
Pointless discussion is pointless. People are cunts; 'fans' foaming at the mouth even more so, ten fold. True knockin', though. It's just too bad it will never end.

Listening to Marrow Of The Earth... I do love this track dearly. It's probably my favorite track off the album despite it's simplistic, limited nature. That is apart of the eerie beauty. It's funny, before we knew this was going to be completely 'soft' music, but after they had released the track listing (or it leaked...can't remember), I thought that this track 'sounded' as if it were really hardcore and evil, and now that I've heard the album and this track countless times over, I think that I really like it much better this way. It's almost much more melancholic and dark than if it were compounded with a barrage of the usual classic Opeth riffage and growls. There's something very evil going on behind those soothing guitars. The entire album's feel, and mainly this track which I feel encompasses the vibe of the album, is very Alighieri-esque. I fucking love it. It's soft and melodic and yet very brooding.

Ah, fuck it; ONCE MORE! I've listened to this album four times today and I can't stop, won't stop. Awesome Christmas music.  :azn:

RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #732 on: December 25, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
Pointless discussion is pointless. People are cunts; 'fans' foaming at the mouth even more so, ten fold. True knockin', though. It's just too bad it will never end.

Listening to Marrow Of The Earth... I do love this track dearly. It's probably my favorite track off the album despite it's simplistic, limited nature. That is apart of the eerie beauty. It's funny, before we knew this was going to be completely 'soft' music, but after they had released the track listing (or it leaked...can't remember), I thought that this track 'sounded' as if it were really hardcore and evil, and now that I've heard the album and this track countless times over, I think that I really like it much better this way. It's almost much more melancholic and dark than if it were compounded with a barrage of the usual classic Opeth riffage and growls. There's something very evil going on behind those soothing guitars. The entire album's feel, and mainly this track which I feel encompasses the vibe of the album, is very Alighieri-esque. I fucking love it. It's soft and melodic and yet very brooding.

Ah, fuck it; ONCE MORE! I've listened to this album four times today and I can't stop, won't stop. Awesome Christmas music.  :azn:

Exactly. It's why I enjoy it and say it is a really good record. It's got an uncomfortable, eerie, soothing, evil feel. I get the same feeling with Storm Corrosion as well. Which might be a reason people don't like it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #733 on: December 25, 2012, 02:58:28 PM »

Exactly. It's why I enjoy it and say it is a really good record. It's got an uncomfortable, eerie, soothing, evil feel. I get the same feeling with Storm Corrosion as well. Which might be a reason people don't like it.

:tup :tup Hell yes. Many people will never get it. I concur on the topic of SC, the very same reasons apply except with SC it's magnified twenty times over; love it.

P.S. Not to knock people that don't like it. Not liking it and bashing the hell out of it because it's over your head are two different things... I have one friend whom used to worship Akerfeldt, and then listened to (after hearing Heritage for about ten seconds before never giving it a chance again) SC and kept asking me "Why the hell is it so quiet!?"...  :| (and he wasn't speaking of the production, which I also explained to him a few times regarding the mastering stage being left out). It's a very specific cup of tea, but if you acquire a taste for it, it is so delicious.

RIP DTP.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: December 26, 2012, 01:08:22 AM »
I find it funny how some death metal fans (not directed at anyone on this board) used to worship the ground Mikael walked on and thought they were SO open-minded when they listened to Opeth, because *gasp* THEY HAVE ACOUSTIC SONGS!!!11!1 :omg: Then, when Heritage was released, they were the first in line to call Opeth sell-outs. ::)

But to make the mood of this thread more lighthearted, I post this: Photoshopeth - The Drapery Falls