Author Topic: Why you don't like MP?  (Read 8337 times)

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: Why you don't like MP?
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2012, 11:20:00 PM »
Mike has always spilled 100% of his guts to us so you can't blame a guy for being honest..... i just miss seeing him behind that kit like a beast and then seeing the microphone swing over to him...love it or hate it he had personality. Mangini is good to but he's just kind of there.

Are you even listening to anybody?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 11:29:53 PM »
Mike has always spilled 100% of his guts to us so you can't blame a guy for being honest..... i just miss seeing him behind that kit like a beast and then seeing the microphone swing over to him...love it or hate it he had personality. Mangini is good to but he's just kind of there.

If MM's obvious superiority in drumming and incredibly likeable attitude and personality is less important to you than MP's antics then it seems surprising that you'd care enough about substance over style to have gotten into DT in the first place.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 11:30:56 PM »
Are you even listening to anybody?

I doubt it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 11:34:01 PM »
I'm sorry...but I think the very point of this entire thread is against forum rules.  Seriously.

I mean...what do you think would happen if someone started a thread that said..."What don't you like about bosk1?"    WITHOUT GETTING PERSONAL!!

It's an oxymoron....the title of the thread is, by it's nature "PERSONAL"...   

And...without getting personal...I feel that the OP is being completely delusional.   But I'm not being personal when I say that he's intentionally trying to start crap. 

(please don't ban me bosk...this is supposed to be an "object lesson"...not an *actual* attack on someone's person)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:24 PM »
Folks aren't saying things like "Oh, he's a dipshit!" They're stating specific actions that have led to a less-than-favorable public image for the dude.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »
Folks aren't saying things like "Oh, he's a dipshit!" They're stating specific actions that have led to a less-than-favorable public image for the dude.

This exactly.

'dude, I agree that this thread COULD be construed as a bit personal, but this ain't MP.com. ;)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »
For the record...I'm not an MP "fanboy"...   I actually think he was *completely* wrong in his ultimatum that he gave to the band...and did more wrong things after he didn't get his way. 

But in spite of that fact, I still think this thread is inappropriate.   But if I'm the only one, I'll just quietly stay out of it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:47 PM »
I think for as long I've known you that the "fanboy" label is just not true in your case.

JFTR though?  OP's first thread about this got a bright shiny lock on it so...

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
I predict this thread will be locked anyway. The OP is trying to incite an argument.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2012, 01:17:19 AM »
To add my input:

I don't hate MP, but his personality rubs me the wrong way nowadays. Too passive aggressive. I still hope he does well, but with that being said, since leaving DT, he hasn't seen a single cent from me with his current musical endeavors. But I wish him the best.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »
I predict this thread will be locked anyway. The OP is trying to incite an argument.

That's how it looks from where I'm sitting.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 03:16:01 AM »
I don't understand the point of this thread.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
I'm sorry...but I think the very point of this entire thread is against forum rules.  Seriously.

(please don't ban me bosk...this is supposed to be an "object lesson"...not an *actual* attack on someone's person)

No, no.  I know.  It's definitely borderline, and I've been watching it closely.  But:

The discussion has been pretty civil, I have to say.  I haven't spoken to Mike myself (although I know he was browsing the forums yesterday), and I don't know whether he has seen this specific thread, so I obviously have no idea how he feels about it.  But I have to say, I don't see people in this thread taking personal shots at him at all.  So I would think that while some of the things said here might not necessarily make him happy, I think the rational response to expect would be for him to take it in stride and realize that there are a lot of things people like about him, and a lot of things people are unhappy with, and either blow it off or take it as a learning experience and move on.

I admit that when the thread was started, I immediately went for the lock button.  But I thought, "Well, let's give it a chance first and see where it goes."  You guys have kept it pretty civil.  So I have to say, I am not disappointed in the least.  Good job, DTF. 

But the minute people start getting personal, the ban hammer WILL come out, so...keep up the good work.  Or else...  :biggrin:
:banhammer:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 09:27:58 AM »
That needs to be you avatar bosk.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
He would need a Darth Vader mask shopped over his face though. I mean, bosk without Darth Vader seems to be pretty inconceivable, at least to me.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:06 AM »
Was just about to say that.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
i still remember bosk as the hooded binary code figure. or whatever that other avatar was

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
I get what you guys are saying. I just like Mike is all. While that old thread was sorta just joking I was taken aback by all the comments about not deserving the award and so on........................ but its not my intention to rally people up so please just take what I say and my opinoins with a grain of salt...

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »

Oh my god, is this Chris Collins?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
I get what you guys are saying. I just like Mike is all. While that old thread was sorta just joking I was taken aback by all the comments about not deserving the award and so on........................ but its not my intention to rally people up so please just take what I say and my opinoins with a grain of salt...

No worries.  And you are perfectly entitled to like Mike all you want.  I think people were just reacting more to what they perceived the tone of the thread to be.  I don't think it came across the way you intended it to come across.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JoiseyDTLovah

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »
I like Mike.  Sure, he handled the split badly but clearly there are many emotions involved and until we walk a mile in those shoes....

What I liked most was his passion and interactions with the fans....But I have to say the rest of the band has really stepped up those efforts. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
Well, I was interested in MP when he was in DT and still, even then, some things rubbed me the wrong way. Now that he's gone, I have no interest whatsoever in what he's doing, but it's because I'm a DT fan, not a MP fan.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »
I really liked Flying Colors, but I have to admit that I think hits greatest achievement in that project was getting the other guys together. Musically, I have to say, it's good rather *despite* him than because of him. And that same effect kinda showed its ugly side with Adrenaline Mob when there suddenly weren't class-act musicians to do the heavy lifting.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
I really liked Flying Colors, but I have to admit that I think hits greatest achievement in that project was getting the other guys together. Musically, I have to say, it's good rather *despite* him than because of him. And that same effect kinda showed its ugly side with Adrenaline Mob when there suddenly weren't class-act musicians to do the heavy lifting.

rumborak

That is a really great point. Kind of sad when you think of it that way, actually...

Offline Pinga

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
Dream Theater is good for the first time in about 8 years, so, on the contrary, I greatly appreciate his leaving.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2012, 01:36:02 AM »

rumborak

I can't disagree with anything here.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2012, 05:28:55 AM »
He's a nice bloke going through one hell of a rough patch.

I started writing a post, here, but none of the words are coming out in anything like the right order and I've spent ten minutes just watching the cursor blink taunts at me, so I'm afraid I'm going to rest on my laurels for a bit and just quote a post I wrote six months ago. I hope that's alright by everyone.

The man's trying his hardest, bless him, and I think he just wants two things at once. He's... not troubled, but the poor fellow does not need me making snidey comments on the internet. He's ambivalent. Wants the best for everyone but, simultaneously, can't stand not being a part of the best for everyone. Twice. That's not so hard to sympathise with, is it? Not to sound too morose but I have that feeling on a daily basis! Then to chuck a podium at the poor sod and let a thousand well-intentioned fans prod him to tell the truth until he bursts, while a thousand others tell him he's an awful person in the privacy of his own home... can anyone say with any confidence they'd be even a smidge more graceful? I'd like to think I'd be able to compose myself - it's easy to sit behind a desk and hold up a scoreboard - but honestly, I wouldn't even be able to write a single Adrenaline Mob song. Not even Psychosane! I'd just be sat at home breaking my fingers on walls.

The PR's dreadful, but in fairness, so's replaying events from a year ago in your head and trying to work out where you messed up. If he looks like he's bitter it's probably 'cos he's bitter. Which doesn't make it innately more sufferable - we're his exes as much as the band are, (and I'm happy to deliver brain-bleach for £1.00 a pop, by the way) and we're thereby just as entitled to be sick of his theatrics as he is to be hamming it up like a third year drama student. I'm ultimately on our side - I do wish he wouldn't make it everyone else's problem, but in the end we're all just seven billion idiots muddling our way to the graveyard. For every day he says something silly, there are about sixty he holds it in. That's an okay whack for something that's consumed twenty-five years of a man's life. Who can blame something as flawed as a human for not always being able to keep work and life separate? I can barely keep my pants and my head separate.

Though I will say that briefs make brilliant commando masks.
Look at the way this decade started for him. End of last decade, beginning of this one, he lost two jobs and a close family member. You never get over that. It's very easy for us, as armchair critics, to cynically play his life like a game of chess - "The correct formula to save maximum face would be to leave a 35% margin of interpretation so that the fans are not only placated but they gain the ability to project their own explanations into the blah-blah-honk-honk-smug." Not so easy when you're part of the game, because you start rationalising, and seeing other avenues, and gambling, and all that while a choir of little voices in the back of your head tunelessly blare the words "YOU'RE SHIT" at you with the cumulative volume of every messageboard assassin who's ever decided his opinion deserves to be broadcast.

An armchair critic can turn it all off. Switch off your computer and suddenly you're a thousand miles away. You don't stand to lose anything if you're wrong. Mike, meanwhile, could lose a leg, 'cos the bloody thing's a minefield. I might not always like everything he has to say nowadays, but as much as I don't envy him, I can also never really blame him. He's a good bloke in a bad situation. Who's never felt like that? I wish him all the best, and hope the change pans out as well for Mike as it did for Dream Theater. If the Flying Colors album's anything to go by, some of his best work might still be ahead of him. This split might, with a bit of luck, end up being the best thing that happened to everyone involved.

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2012, 09:22:29 AM »

No worries.  And you are perfectly entitled to like Mike all you want.  I think people were just reacting more to what they perceived the tone of the thread to be.  I don't think it came across the way you intended it to come across.

I see......thank you for keeping it open I like the discussion here as well.....

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
Great post, rob.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
Yeah, good post, for sure. It's certainly very easy to get somewhat caught up in the armchair flak-ing that is so easy to do on the internet.
In all of this, I still think MP missed the golden opportunity to redefine himself, to grow. He played it very safe in that he really just transplanted whatever he was playing in DT over to his new projects. With the expected result of course that he got measured against his old demons. Hate to bring up the comparison, but KM's choice of doing something completely different had his fan base open a new blank page on him that he could write on.
I think there was certain amount of hubris on MP's side that caused him to think he could just trod on the way he did before, and that made him miss this chance of redefining himself.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
A good post, rob, but I disagree. I understand that Mike was bitter and hurt, but I don't understand why that's supposed to make his unprofessionalism permissible.

Isn't he supposed to be a professional musician? Didn't he quit the band of his own accord? rumby is correct: he should have just dropped everything DT-related and carved out a blank page for himself. The best revenge, they say, is living well, and MP's choice to complain on the internet was, if anything, the opposite of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
rob, I hear what you are coming from, and I totally get why that line of thinking makes sense, but don't they always say that the true measure of a man is how they act when they hit rock bottom, when all of the chips are down, etc.? I think most would agree that him leaving DT and then A7X telling him that they didn't want to work with him anymore was his professional rock bottom...and he couldn't have handled it any worse. 

I don't blame him for being bitter, angry, whatever - I am sure many of us would be under similar circumstances, even if we realized that most of it was of our doing, which I suspect deep down he does, even though he'd never admit it publicly - but lashing out the way he did on social media and his forum, from liking FB statuses that were critical of JLB and Mangini to basically accusing DT of plagiarism, was handing things in a very poor manner, especially when he always cops the innocent little boy "what did I do wrong?" attitude. 

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
As a person, he's done a lot of boneheaded things in the past two years.  Not leaving DT, but the way he handled his departure really left a bad taste in my mouth.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Well, I was interested in MP when he was in DT and still, even then, some things rubbed me the wrong way. Now that he's gone, I have no interest whatsoever in what he's doing, but it's because I'm a DT fan, not a MP fan.

B.Lee

Out of all the responses in this thread (and I've read all), this is the one I can relate to the most. Then let me add that I actually like MP as well and really enjoy his drumming on DT albums. I love Transatlantic and think Flying Colors was a great record (save for the misspelling in the bandname  :biggrin: ), so from me there's definitely no hatred towards the person. Yes, he could have handled the split better, but what use is it to linger over that without even knowing the guy?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2012, 01:19:41 PM »
I really liked Flying Colors, but I have to admit that I think hits greatest achievement in that project was getting the other guys together. Musically, I have to say, it's good rather *despite* him than because of him.

So, you think that his drumming was bad and brought down the quality of the songs?  I don't.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.