Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308318 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #3045 on: May 01, 2013, 10:24:37 AM »
Wasn't this song supposedly based on Nikki's real-life near-death (there's an oxy-moron) experience?

Yup.

Not a diss on Stevie - I actually like some of his 70s stuff quite a bit (He's Misstra Know It All is a beast of a song) - but Part-Time Lover is pure fluff, IMO.

Sure it is.  But I'll take fluff from Stevie over a lot of artists' best work.  :lol

"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #3046 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »
Wasn't this song supposedly based on Nikki's real-life near-death (there's an oxy-moron) experience?

Yup.

Not a diss on Stevie - I actually like some of his 70s stuff quite a bit (He's Misstra Know It All is a beast of a song) - but Part-Time Lover is pure fluff, IMO.

Sure it is.  But I'll take fluff from Stevie over a lot of artists' best work.  :lol

Better to make fluff than be a fluffer.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3047 on: May 01, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3048 on: May 01, 2013, 11:52:13 AM »

Mötley Crüe - Kickstart My Heart

I'm one of the few who really never liked this song, or anything off of the Doc Feelgood album.  Crue for me is all about their first two albums.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3049 on: May 01, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »
I'm with Debra; by the time Kickstart My Heart came out I was totally over Motley Crue, and their first two albums are the ones to get.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3050 on: May 01, 2013, 12:20:28 PM »
:hifive:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3051 on: May 01, 2013, 12:30:54 PM »
Europe - Carrie

It seems like every band of this ilk in the later 80s had that one monster ballad that was a big hit, and Carrie was Europe's.  Naturally, it was their biggest hit on the pop charts, going to number 3.  I liked it, mostly cause I loved the first two singles from The Final Countdown (title track and Rock the Night), so I was probably gonna like whatever came next no matter what.  Screw it, I was 13.  That is my defense and I'm sticking to it. :biggrin: :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3052 on: May 01, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »
Didn't we do this already?  I know there was discussion on this forum of obscure Europe songs nobody ever heard of or cared about.  I thought it was this thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3053 on: May 01, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »
It might have been discussed in the midst of discussion on The Final Countdown, Rock the Night, Cherokee or Superstitious (all of which have been featured already), but Carrie had not been a featured song on its own yet.  Considering that MTV played the snot out of Europe from 1986-1988, and Carrie was their biggest hit, it makes sense for it to be featured at some point.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3054 on: May 01, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
Been a while since this happened.

Around the time this song was a hit, a friend of mine was smitten with a lady of the same name who he had met during a high school chorus competition and they stayed in touch despite living on opposite sides of the state. Back then, that was actually a sizable feat, given that all the ways to keep in contact now didn't exist then, short of long distance telephone calls. Anyway, he decided he was going to go visit her at the college she went to because he needed to talk to her and tell that, no matter how much they cared for each other, the distance was just too far and they couldn't be a couple.

It is worth noting that they weren't actually dating, by the way. It is also worth noting that the previous time he visited Carrie with a friend of mine, she threw herself at my friend, who rebuffed her because he wasn't single. Disaster, of course, was likely looming. That same friend was corralled to go as the driver, and I was dragged in because I was the only one of us who was legal to buy alcohol. So we went up there and I spent the two days there largely getting shit faced, and...being hit on by Carrie. Repeatedly. Even did some necking in the back seat of my friend's car as we drove around. This was after my other friend had given her the speech about how they just couldn't be a couple. Clearly she was in shock from losing out on this relationship.

My friend stewed and grumbled, and then finally while we parked somewhere, fuck if I remember now, he stormed off. My other friend went after him, leaving me alone with Carrie. "What's wrong with him?" she asked. "Guess he's mad you're paying attention to me," I responded.

"Well, then, let's make him really mad," she said. And proceeded to give me the best blow job of my life, up until 1996 or so when it was finally surpassed.

Needless to say, whenever I hear the song Carrie... :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3055 on: May 01, 2013, 12:46:54 PM »
'Twas one of the sappy-est power ballads of that era.  Even though I could rhyme off about 25 other power ballads I like better, I still liked it this tune.  Said it before, but top-to-bottom, this is a top shelf album.

*Jaq's story

:hefdaddy
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3056 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:13 PM »
That is my god-king, ultimate 80s music related story and I've been waiting for MONTHS for Kev to get to this song.  :rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3057 on: May 01, 2013, 01:03:02 PM »
pretty decent ballad

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3058 on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
Jaq, you're the man!  :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3059 on: May 01, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
"When Jaq's penis goes down.............." *que in fading piano*
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3060 on: May 01, 2013, 11:06:55 PM »
Been a while since this happened.

Around the time this song was a hit, a friend of mine was smitten with a lady of the same name who he had met during a high school chorus competition and they stayed in touch despite living on opposite sides of the state. Back then, that was actually a sizable feat, given that all the ways to keep in contact now didn't exist then, short of long distance telephone calls. Anyway, he decided he was going to go visit her at the college she went to because he needed to talk to her and tell that, no matter how much they cared for each other, the distance was just too far and they couldn't be a couple.

It is worth noting that they weren't actually dating, by the way. It is also worth noting that the previous time he visited Carrie with a friend of mine, she threw herself at my friend, who rebuffed her because he wasn't single. Disaster, of course, was likely looming. That same friend was corralled to go as the driver, and I was dragged in because I was the only one of us who was legal to buy alcohol. So we went up there and I spent the two days there largely getting shit faced, and...being hit on by Carrie. Repeatedly. Even did some necking in the back seat of my friend's car as we drove around. This was after my other friend had given her the speech about how they just couldn't be a couple. Clearly she was in shock from losing out on this relationship.

My friend stewed and grumbled, and then finally while we parked somewhere, fuck if I remember now, he stormed off. My other friend went after him, leaving me alone with Carrie. "What's wrong with him?" she asked. "Guess he's mad you're paying attention to me," I responded.

"Well, then, let's make him really mad," she said. And proceeded to give me the best blow job of my life, up until 1996 or so when it was finally surpassed.

Needless to say, whenever I hear the song Carrie... :rollin

:lol :lol :lol

And congratulations!  You just won the internet. :tup :tup

That is my god-king, ultimate 80s music related story and I've been waiting for MONTHS for Kev to get to this song.  :rollin

Sorry for making you wait so long, man. I can only imagine your reaction every time I featured another Europe song that wasn't Carrie.  There is that split second where you see Europe bolded, and then, shit, it's not Carrie. :facepalm: :rollin :rollin

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3061 on: May 02, 2013, 04:25:13 AM »
Well, I think Jaq can retire now. Damn, that was the story of stories

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3062 on: May 02, 2013, 08:32:46 AM »
Well, I think Jaq can retire now. Damn, that was the story of stories

Agreed.  I need a smoke.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3063 on: May 02, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
Haha, I am pretty sure this thread has just climaxed (har har), and anything that comes now (har har) will be anti-climatic (booooooo!).  :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3064 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:12 AM »
While I still have plenty of stories from the 80s, yes, that's going to be as good as it gets from me.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: May 02, 2013, 10:45:33 AM »
While I still have plenty of stories from the 80s, yes, that's going to be as good as it gets from me.  :lol

Then you got married in the 90's.  I know. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3066 on: May 02, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
No, what changed was I stopped drinking. At a guess, 90% of the stories I've told in this thread happened when I was shit faced drunk.  :lol Though I did settle down with a lady for a few years as well...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: May 02, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
All those good vices fade away with age. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3068 on: May 02, 2013, 12:06:10 PM »
Well, might as well keep plugging away! :hat

The Human League - Don't You Want Me

Good song in its time.  I liked it a lot more back then than I do now, but I can still sort of hear the appeal in it.  Back then, I thought it was neat that it told the story of a man and woman and you had both male and female lead vocals to portray both sides of the relationship story. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3069 on: May 02, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
Also the cool awesome amazing keyboards sounds.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3070 on: May 02, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
One of the most 80s sounding songs in terms of keyboard sounds I can think of. I almost don't want to listen to it now because I probably will find it so dated it'll hurt.  :rollin

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3071 on: May 02, 2013, 12:16:26 PM »
Europe - Carrie

Okay, I admit - I did KIND OF like this song back in the day, but now?  EEEE YUCK. :puke:

*colossally awesome story*

Dude.  I'd give you an internet, but you probably have about 11dy6 by now, based solely on that. :hefdaddy :rollin

The Human League - Don't You Want Me

Actually... NO.  No, I don't want you. :laugh:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3072 on: May 02, 2013, 12:17:41 PM »
Well, I'd gladly accept another one.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3073 on: May 02, 2013, 12:18:49 PM »
Oh, you. :lol :lol :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3074 on: May 02, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
Yeah, it is dated, but still a fun song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3075 on: May 02, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Also the cool awesome amazing keyboards sounds.

Yeah, they do sound really good, especially for that time period.

One of the most 80s sounding songs in terms of keyboard sounds I can think of. I almost don't want to listen to it now because I probably will find it so dated it'll hurt.  :rollin

Sounding dated isn't always a bad thing, though.  Sure, timeless songs are great, but songs that sound dated can often have that "snapshot in time" feel, and I'd say a lot of 80s stuff has that. Whether that is good or bad is open to interpretation, of course. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3076 on: May 02, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Okay, I will throw a couple more out today, just for fun, so we'll have three songs today that anyone can discuss. :)

Survivor - High on You

Another keyboard-heavy song, this one is pretty catchy, and the vocal melodies are very nice.  It isn't a song I really listen to anymore, but I liked it a lot at the time, even though the video was pretty ho-hum.

Prince - Little Red Corvette

I liked this song so much back in 1982 that I owned the 45 single of it.  I don't want to say it hasn't aged well, as it still sounds like a damn fine song, but it doesn't appeal to me that much anymore.  Only a handful of Prince songs get much attention from me anymore (most of which are from Purple Rain), and this just isn't one of them.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #3077 on: May 02, 2013, 12:34:58 PM »
I was never really big on High On You.

Little Red Corvette still smokes though. :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3078 on: May 02, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
Survivor and Prince were kinda similar in that they had some good songs and I wouldn't change the station if they came on the radio, but I never liked them enough to buy any of their albums.  I had girlfriends with Prince albums, but I didn't know anyone with any Survivor albums.

The guy from Survivor had a great voice.  Later, he did those awesome radio spots "Real American Heroes" which was changed to "Real Men of Genius" after 9/11 when everyone was talking about the firefighters and cops and how they're Real American Heroes.  I once downloaded a whole bunch of them from some website, listened to them, and laughed much.  Kinda wacky that I'd do that, but never bought a Survivor album.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #3079 on: May 02, 2013, 01:01:07 PM »
He also sang the theme to Baywatch.