Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313061 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1610 on: October 28, 2012, 11:54:05 AM »
I'm more of a fan of their earlier stuff, but yeah - GREAT band, great song.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1611 on: October 28, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
Kick was a masterpiece of 80s pop-rock. Most of the album-one of the few that the manager of the Musicland I worked at let us play beyond his playlist of precisely three albums (the first Traveling Wilburys album, something by Anita Baker, and Don't Be Cruel by Bobby Brown) that normally got airplay in my store-was single worthy, and the tracks that weren't singles were still pretty damn good. One of the best albums of the 80s right here; even though I wasn't much of a fan of either this song or the album, I recognized how well done it was back then.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1612 on: October 28, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
I didn't like everything by INXS, but they had some catchy songs, and I liked this one.  Michael Hutchense could sing with incredible emotion in his voice, and that saxophone solo was killer.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1613 on: October 28, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »
It's really a shame about Michael - I agree, Orbert, his voice was downright incredible sometimes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: October 29, 2012, 05:27:27 AM »
This is one fellow homegrown band that I could never stand to be honest.  They are absolutely huge over here, so overplaying of every single one of their hits didn't help.  I appreciate their sound but for me they just repeated themselves too much.  They use the same clean guitar riff in just about every song.

I actually had the displeasure of seeing them live a few years ago with JD Fortune and they were absolutely dreadful, Michael would be rolling in his grave with what this band has become.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1615 on: October 29, 2012, 10:26:17 AM »
U2 - New Year's Day

Awesome song in every way possible, and a helluva video, too, one that matches the cold vibe of the song.  I always loved watching MTV on January 1st back in the day since I knew they would play this video (this was when I was a kid and before I owned the War CD and before the video was easily viewed on youtube at any time). 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1616 on: October 29, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
I always liked this song, but probably liked it more back when U2 were new and different and not horribly overplayed on every pop (and now classic rock) station in America.

For some reason, I thought it was really cool that Bono sang "be with you, be with you".  It would've been cool to sing it and have it echo in time, but maybe he thought that would be too cliché, or maybe he just thought it was cooler this way anyway.  Which it is.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1617 on: October 29, 2012, 12:00:42 PM »
Never dug that one - I'll take Sunday Bloody Sunday over New Year's Day ANY day of the week that ends in Y.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1618 on: October 29, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »
Never dug that one - I'll take Sunday Bloody Sunday over New Year's Day ANY day of the week that ends in Y.

So, not tomorrow?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1619 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:11 PM »
One of my favourite U2 songs. I have a tradition of playing this as the very first song I listen to on New Years day.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1620 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:22 PM »

So, not tomorrow?

Har har, very funny. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1621 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:52 PM »

So, not tomorrow?

Har har, very funny. :P
I'm here all week.   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1622 on: October 29, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
I guess I should enjoy the veal while I'm at it... :justjen

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1623 on: October 29, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
War was the album that U2 started turning into the U2 we know them as today-before that, they'd been a kind of punky/New Wave type thing, not really the socially conscious activist rockers that they wound up spending most of the rest of the 80s as. They were still filing the edges off their sound, refining it, and War is pretty well a halfway point between their earlier approach and the band they became. You didn't really get the sense of how big they were going to be when New Year's Day came out, though there was a sense of seeing these guys mature pretty quickly over their early output and that they were going to be pretty successful. But wow, did they blow up HUGE over the next few years!
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1624 on: October 29, 2012, 11:17:07 PM »
War was the album that U2 started turning into the U2 we know them as today-before that, they'd been a kind of punky/New Wave type thing, not really the socially conscious activist rockers that they wound up spending most of the rest of the 80s as. They were still filing the edges off their sound, refining it, and War is pretty well a halfway point between their earlier approach and the band they became. You didn't really get the sense of how big they were going to be when New Year's Day came out, though there was a sense of seeing these guys mature pretty quickly over their early output and that they were going to be pretty successful. But wow, did they blow up HUGE over the next few years!

All true.  I was pretty young at the time, but I sure didn't see it coming when they became the biggest band in the world with the release of The Joshua Tree.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1625 on: October 29, 2012, 11:18:57 PM »
They were EVERYWHERE after The Joshua Tree came out.  Great album though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1626 on: October 29, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
The Bangles - Manic Monday

Written by Prince, because he apparently had a huge crush on Susanna Hoffs (who in the hell didn't?!?!?!?!?!?!), Manic Monday is a fantastic pop song: catchy as hell and with a brilliant hook.  The video wasn't anything ground-breaking, but any video that shows a lot of Hoffs is a good one. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1627 on: October 29, 2012, 11:36:10 PM »
Decent enough song, but it got WAY overplayed at that time IMO.  I didn't know that Prince had written it at first though, but that upped its cool points.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1628 on: October 30, 2012, 06:53:40 AM »
The song that proved that Prince, in fact, wrote every pop single in the 80s that didn't have much of anything to do with Michael Jackson.  :rollin I remember hearing around the time that this song came out that Prince had offered Susannah Hoffs a spot in his band, which prompted me to remark that "Prince can't have ALL the good looking women in music!" and crack up my friends with its earnestness. I actually owned this album, and recall how it left my life...sold at a family yard sale.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1629 on: October 30, 2012, 08:59:25 AM »
Excellent tune.  Hoffs has aged quite well to boot.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1630 on: October 30, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
The song that proved that Prince, in fact, wrote every pop single in the 80s that didn't have much of anything to do with Michael Jackson.  :rollin

Say what?! :rollin

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1631 on: October 30, 2012, 12:18:44 PM »
In the mid-80s, it seemed like every time you turned around, the new hit single had been written by Prince. So in my circle of friends, we had a running joke that Prince wrote every hit single of the 80s with the exception of Michael Jackson's hits. Which could get funny when a song came on the radio and we raced to declare it was written by Prince.

Did I mention that generally a lot of alcohol was involved in these inside jokes?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1632 on: October 30, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
Aha, that would 'splain it. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1633 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
New Order - True Faith

One of the more entertaining videos of the later 80s, as it features a bunch of characters dressed in colorful outfits slapping each other (humorously, to the beat of the song), beating each other up and dancing, all at the same time.  Pretty entertaining, to say the least.  Good solid dance song, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »
Was never my genre, so I don't even recall the song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1635 on: October 30, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
I'll have to YT that, as I don't remember it either.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1636 on: October 30, 2012, 01:30:10 PM »
I'll have to YT that, as I don't remember it either.

Did you say Y&T? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QR4O0-G9HA

:ultimetal:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: October 30, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
The Bangles - Manic Monday

Good song, never knew Prince wrote it.

New Order - True Faith

One of the more entertaining videos of the later 80s, as it features a bunch of characters dressed in colorful outfits slapping each other (humorously, to the beat of the song), beating each other up and dancing, all at the same time.  Pretty entertaining, to say the least.  Good solid dance song, too.

I have a remix of this that I listen to all the time. I love it. And I honestly can’t say I recall the video, or even the last time I heard a non-remix version of this song. New Order had some good tunes, especially Blue Monday – another song with some great remixes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1638 on: October 30, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1639 on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:35 PM »
Oh, my bad.  But while we're on the subject of really good Y&T videos, why waste the opportunity?  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1640 on: October 30, 2012, 05:30:55 PM »
True enough - I'll scope it out either when I get home or later on this week. :metal

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1641 on: October 30, 2012, 05:36:02 PM »
Just an advance word of caution:  brace yourself for mid-'80s neon pink jumpsuit.  But otherwise, outstanding performance.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1642 on: October 30, 2012, 07:15:15 PM »
Thanks for the warning. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1643 on: October 30, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »
Just an advance word of caution:  brace yourself for mid-'80s neon pink jumpsuit band in PASTELS, NOTHING BUT PASTELS.  But otherwise, outstanding performance.

Fixed that for you.  :lol Awesome song though.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1644 on: October 30, 2012, 08:49:31 PM »
Just an advance word of caution:  brace yourself for mid-'80s neon pink jumpsuit band in PASTELS, NOTHING BUT PASTELS.  But otherwise, outstanding performance.

Fixed that for you.  :lol 

:lol  True.

Awesome song though.

Definitely.  As Rob Halford said of that song, "FOREVER! Best heavy metal song ever written!"  But...since it doesn't have a "proper" video, and it wasn't posted by Kev, I should probably stop hijacking his thread now.  :lol