Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313011 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1575 on: October 26, 2012, 04:16:14 AM »
That gif would be a home run if he was wearing his assless chaps.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1576 on: October 26, 2012, 04:21:12 AM »
^ Truth. :kingshmeg:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1577 on: October 26, 2012, 04:59:02 AM »
Give me a bottle of anything and a glazed donut.

To Go.................

Fuckin this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1578 on: October 26, 2012, 05:49:26 AM »
That gif would be a home run if he was wearing his assless chaps.

Word.  Eat 'em and Smile was the very first CD I ever bought.  Great song, better video.  Never got tired of it.  All four of the band had some grade-A charisma.  And that mullet on Bissonette!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1579 on: October 26, 2012, 05:53:35 AM »
I always loved how Vai tried out outdo Roth in that clip.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1580 on: October 26, 2012, 09:42:16 AM »
I found DLR solo stuff to be hit or miss; this is a hit!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1581 on: October 26, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
Bryan Adams - Cuts Like a Knife

Good song, and the video is one of those that looks cheesy and dated now, but back then it was kind of cool; it was always a favorite of my Dad's.  The gal in the video was quite the looker and had really nice legs. :coolio

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1582 on: October 26, 2012, 12:59:40 PM »
I would never actually buy a Bryan Adams album (strictly speaking, that isn't true, since I inadvertently failed to fill out the "do not buy" card from Columbia House on time the month that that album was the Columbia House album of the month, so I was on the hook for it when they sent it, and therefore actually did buy it, but it was an accident, so it doesn't count), but I pretty much enjoyed his songs when they would come on the radio or MTV, this one included. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1583 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:54 PM »
Never heard the song and I'll have to look it up later, but I did go to school with a guy named Bryan Adams.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1584 on: October 26, 2012, 02:19:39 PM »
Never heard the song and I'll have to look it up later, but I did go to school with a guy named Bryan Adams.

I'll guarantee it wasn't the same guy.   :lol

Adams is pretty much the Canadian standard bearer for commercial rock music - writing, producing, recording.  His late 80s output was fantastic.  Cuts Like a Knife is a great album.  It's like the Canadian Pyromania... a great setup to the commercial juggernaut that followed - Reckless.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1585 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »
I would never actually buy a Bryan Adams album (strictly speaking, that isn't true, since I inadvertently failed to fill out the "do not buy" card from Columbia House on time the month that that album was the Columbia House album of the month, so I was on the hook for it when they sent it, and therefore actually did buy it, but it was an accident, so it doesn't count), but I pretty much enjoyed his songs when they would come on the radio or MTV, this one included. 
Do those things still run?  If it happens to you again put "Refused, Return to Sender" on the box and put it back in the mail.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1586 on: October 26, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
I always enjoyed Bryan Adams work, but I too was never one to buy any of his cd's.  Great artist.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1587 on: October 26, 2012, 02:59:56 PM »
Do those things still run?  If it happens to you again put "Refused, Return to Sender" on the box and put it back in the mail.

No, this was back when the album was actually new.  Yeah, I eventually learned the system.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1588 on: October 26, 2012, 03:08:55 PM »
:lol

Great story, suckah!

That is so funny, I can absolutely relate. They actually contacted me because I sent back so many albums.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1589 on: October 26, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
:lol

Great story, suckah!

That is so funny, I can absolutely relate. They actually contacted me because I sent back so many albums.  :lol

Yup.  As a friend of mine used to say, "What, do I have 'Charms' written on my forehead?"  :sucka:

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1590 on: October 26, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »
Bryan Adams - Cuts Like a Knife

Okay song the first 5 times I heard it, not so much the 100 and 11dy6 times I heard it after that.  I've always liked Run To You much, much better.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: October 26, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
Cuts Like A Knife isn't really one of teh more popular singles over here in Australia.  It's played but not as much as 69, Run To You, Heaven, Do It For You even The Only Thing That Looks Good on Me is played more.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1592 on: October 26, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
They were all played a LOT here in the States, but Cuts Like a Knife more so than the other ones you mentioned.  Well... Knife AND Summer of '69...

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1593 on: October 26, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
They played this video a LOT, and of course it got a young Jaq's attention since it largely featured a leggy model getting into a swimsuit.  :lol Songwise, it was certainly catchy and stuck in the head, but better things were coming for Bryan Adams with Reckless, which was one of the best pure rock albums of the 80s. Funny thing is, I wound up with Reckless because...my sister neglected to turn in her Columbia House card, and it was sent to her, and she threw it my way just to get rid of it.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1594 on: October 26, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »
I never liked this song much, but was a big fan of Reckless.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1595 on: October 27, 2012, 03:53:57 AM »
I always enjoyed Bryan Adams work, but I too was never one to buy any of his cd's.  Great artist.

Bryan was great until Everything I Do ruined him. He was great in concert too back in the day. In the last 20 years there's been too many ballads and his balls got lost. Keith Scott was a very tasteful guitar player too.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1596 on: October 27, 2012, 03:58:57 AM »
I never owned any of his CD's till after Waking up the neighborhood.  The man can write an anthem rocking tunes.  Lowdz is correct that after WUTN, he went pop and that's when I stopped buying his stuff.  I did see him on the WUTN's tour and he killed.  You know how opened for them?  The Storm.  Anybody remember their one album?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1597 on: October 27, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »
I never owned any of his CD's till after Waking up the neighborhood.  The man can write an anthem rocking tunes.  Lowdz is correct that after WUTN, he went pop and that's when I stopped buying his stuff.  I did see him on the WUTN's tour and he killed.  You know how opened for them?  The Storm.  Anybody remember their one album?

Yeah I remember The Storm. Kevin Chalfont on vocals? More Journey than Journey were at the time.

If you take Bryan Adams' vocals off WUTN and put Joe Elliot there it's a Def Leppard album. Mutt was all over it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1598 on: October 27, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
Oh hell yeah.  They as a million HEY, HEYS of a thousand backing vocals in that album. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1599 on: October 27, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
I am so proud of myself for NOT remembering them!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1600 on: October 27, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »
The Kinks - Do It Again

What a powerhouse rocker this is! Great tune, one I loved immediately back in '84 and still love to this day.  And the video was absolute money, featuring Ray Davies hamming it up even more than he did in the Come Dancing video, which seemed impossible at the time.  I like how the video brought back the character from the Come Dancing video (played by Davies, of course), and the latter part of the video is awesome, as Davies pounds away on the drums dressed in a rather odd-looking clown outfit. :lol  In short, great song and even greater video. :tup :tup

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfGwjHg9gyU

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1601 on: October 27, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
Before watching the video, I could not remember the song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1602 on: October 27, 2012, 12:12:12 PM »
The Kinks - Do It Again

What a powerhouse rocker this is! Great tune, one I loved immediately back in '84 and still love to this day.  And the video was absolute money, featuring Ray Davies hamming it up even more than he did in the Come Dancing video, which seemed impossible at the time.  I like how the video brought back the character from the Come Dancing video (played by Davies, of course), and the latter part of the video is awesome, as Davies pounds away on the drums dressed in a rather odd-looking clown outfit. :lol  In short, great song and even greater video. :tup :tup

I agree with all of this.  Great song, rockin', upbeat.  One of my favorite Kinks songs.  :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: October 27, 2012, 12:13:03 PM »
I absolutely love that song.  Saw them on this tour ( the old Boston Garden) as a 15 year old with Tommy Shaw opening.  (Girls With Guns)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1604 on: October 27, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
Great to see some love for this song!  I was afraid it was gonna be one of those "I don't remember this song" for everyone.  I am happy to be wrong. :)

What's interesting, too, is the song wasn't much of a hit.  I remember it getting solid airplay on MTV, but I don't think it did well on the pop charts at all.  Maybe it didn't sound "80s" enough to be a big hit in 1984. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1605 on: October 27, 2012, 12:57:02 PM »
It got good radio airplay at the time if memory serves Kev.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1606 on: October 27, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »
Yeah I remember The Storm. Kevin Chalfont on vocals? More Journey than Journey were at the time.
That's because Journey was in the middle of a 10 year hiatus at the time.

Schon was asked to be the guitarist for The Storm, too, which would have made it 4 Journey members, but he had another project going at the time so couldn't do it.  It was either Bad English or Hardline, don't remember the exact timing.  Ramos was his guy, though, he recommended him to Rolie for the band.

Somewhere in here Rolie and Schon discussed giving Perry the boot and bringing Chalfant in as the lead singer of Journey (with Rolie rejoining).  Chalfant even sung with Journey for one or two small shows.  I'm not sure all the details have ever come out, but Chalfant was very close to being in some form of Journey.  At different times I've heard different stories.  Maybe Perry wanting to come back put a stop to it.  Maybe Schon got nervous because Chalfant was as controlling and egotistical as Perry when they tried writing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1607 on: October 27, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »
After watching the video, I definitely remember the song. I don't recall it being played on the radio, just MTV.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1608 on: October 27, 2012, 03:50:05 PM »
Before watching the video, I could not remember the song.

Me too.

After watching the video, I definitely remember the song. I don't recall it being played on the radio, just MTV.

That's probably why I couldn't remember it just from the title of the song, since I didn't have MTV at home until the early 90s.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1609 on: October 28, 2012, 07:57:11 AM »
INXS - Never Tear Us Apart

Another big hit from the Kick record, one I love dearly; it's just a gorgeous song.  Neat video, too, and I remember thinking, in reference to the extended intro, "Where did that come from?"  I wish it had been on the album like that.  But the song as is on the album is still absolutely dynamite.  Kick was my favorite album of all-time at the time it was out, and Never Tear Us Apart was a part of that great Side 2 (although the only hit/single from Side 2).