Author Topic: subject matter of Beneath the Surface lyrics & writing more songs  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Hey all

apologies for not sharing this sooner, but I got a chance to see DT twice last week, including attending the aftershows. One of the questions I had been meaning to ask JP was regarding the lyrics to Beneath the Surface and who they were about, since it appears they are about his relationship with MP.

JP explained that when he was writing the lyrics, he was thinking of the relationship that he has with his kids (who are now in their teens) - how they are becoming more independent and growing apart from him as they get older - and comparing it to his own relationship with his parents when he was their age and the similarities between them, "kinda like the 'Cat's in the Cradle'" (song from Harry Chapin). So that's the story behind those lyrics. Cool side note is that he even took out his iPhone to show me pictures of his kids.   :)

One other thing that I wanted to ask about was the writing and recording of more songs than could fit on an album. I know that there are many other bands that do this (writing many songs, then picking the best ones to go on the album) and I wanted to know why DT doesn't do that, since numerous times the guys have been quoted as saying that they really enjoy writing and recording. When I asked JP this question, I even mentioned too how songs like New Millennium and Hollow Years would never have been written if they hadn't been pushed by the record company to write more songs. JP responded saying that he agreed with me about the extra songs written during the FII sessions, and that he would like to do just that in the future (writing more material than is needed). He said the Japanese label's always asking for extra songs for the Japanese version of the album and he agreed that there's something just cool about the elusive B-sides not available on an album, even if they aren't quite as good as the songs that make the album. So who knows, maybe this will be something they'll do when they write and record album #12.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: subject matter of Beneath the Surface lyrics & writing more songs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
Wish I could have gotten down there for at least one of those shows.  It would have been great to hang out.  If they do a second N.Am. leg, we have to try to plan something.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:11:19 PM »
It was a good time  ;D  Even though I had the strangest things happen over those two days, including losing and finding my phone twice. I have never misplaced my phone in 20 years. Oh, and I even managed to get a death stare from THE bear  :D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
Great info, Scotty. :tup
I already knew it was about a father/son relationship (including the Cats in the Cradle comparison), but I didn't know his own relationships were any inspiration for it.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
Weird. I've talked to Reny before on formspring, and he seems to still really admire his dad a lot. The lyrics in Beneath the Surface seem to be a little bit pessimistic, like they're about a relationship that no-longer exists or something. I'd love to see him comment more on them.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 09:47:56 PM »
Very interesting. I never would've completely understood Beneath the Surface, haha.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »
OK, it's nice to finally know what the lyrics are about, so thanks a lot for the info. But I still like my interpretations better. Either DT / MP relationship, or relationship between a guy and his ex-girlfriend who was supposed to stay his friend.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:09:59 AM »
Weird. I've talked to Reny before on formspring, and he seems to still really admire his dad a lot. The lyrics in Beneath the Surface seem to be a little bit pessimistic, like they're about a relationship that no-longer exists or something. I'd love to see him comment more on them.

I guess my post may come off as a little misleading. Just to be clear, JP's lyrics are about his reflections looking back on his childhood years and how it's sometimes difficult for a father and son to connect for various reasons - in no way is it reflective of his relationship with Reny or his daughters.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 05:37:47 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 06:48:38 AM »
I'm excited by the prospect of getting some "B-sides", again.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »
Interesting info (both about the lyrics and B-sides), thanks! :tup

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
Thanks for posting. This left me wondering one thing though HOW THE FLYING MANURE DO YOU GET INTO AN AFTER SHOW?!
If the answer is anything but money then this is not fair  :lol Anything regarding "knowing people" better not be mentioned.
That's very interesting about Beneath the Surface though :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:33:49 AM by metty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
Anything regarding "knowing people" better not be mentioned.

...I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed :lol

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
Thanks for posting. This left me wondering one thing though HOW THE FLYING MANURE DO YOU GET INTO AN AFTER SHOW?!
If the answer is anything but money then this is not fair  :lol Anything regarding "knowing people" better not be mentioned.

it is setlist scotty...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
Great stuff, as usual. Scotty!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

As TAC said great stuff Scotty.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Thanx guys - glad I could share the info!

When you've done numerous things for the band over time (tourography, MP's FAQ, several articles/interviews for fanzines, DT-ized cover art, poster/T-shirt images, 3 tourbooks) and become friends with them, they happily provide aftershow passes.    :)

PS I think I managed to avoid saying "knowing people" in my answer!   :biggrin:

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
Thanks for nipping the Beneath The Surface question in the bud, Scotty!   

Has anyone yet discussed the use of previous song charts for the writing of a number of the ADTOE tracks with the band?  Curious if the band has addressed this and provided some illumation on this subject.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 08:29:58 PM »
Thanks for nipping the Beneath The Surface question in the bud, Scotty!   

Has anyone yet discussed the use of previous song charts for the writing of a number of the ADTOE tracks with the band?  Curious if the band has addressed this and provided some illumation on this subject.

I actually asked JP about it when I saw them in September, and his reply was actually that ADToE inspired IaW. Of course that threw me for a loop for a split second until I realized he was joking with me, and then I chimed in that they must have used a time machine for that...Rush's time machine (since we had been talking about Rush earlier). Had a good laugh about it, tho not much else was said about the topic that I remember.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 02:29:22 AM »
oh, that joker.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 02:37:38 AM »
That's cool that he told you about that. I did always think and say that it seemed mainly to be about a father / son or parent / child relationship, even though it could apply to general ones too.

Offline j

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 03:12:01 AM »
Cool info, Scotty-do. :tup

-J

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 06:29:09 AM »
I am SO looking forward to having b-sides again, if they do decide to get back on that bandwagon (no pun intended).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: