Author Topic: Why so much hate for TDoE?  (Read 9386 times)

Offline ishak540m

Why so much hate for TDoE?
« on: September 01, 2011, 07:50:52 PM »
I'm sure it's been said and done but what's with the hate for TDoE?  It happens to be one of my favorite instrumentals?  :hefdaddy

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: Why so much hate for TDoE?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »
I don't really see people hating it?

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Example:

"Act I is brilliant. So is Act II.

Act II has TDOE, which I absolutely hate.
I still went with Act II, because it has Home, The Spirit Carries On and One Last Time, which I love more than any other track on the album (save maybe the whole of Scene Two)"

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:39 PM »
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I don't know, I like it, but it probably doesn't make my top 50.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:44 PM »
I only listen to it when i listen to all of sfam i almost never find myself wanting to put it on, however the same goes for all of sfam excluding TSCO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:56:58 PM »
My fav instrumental from DT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
It's a great song, but it suffers from the same problem that all of SFAM does for me: I only like to listen to most of the songs in SFAM as a whole. So when listening to it alone, it feels like it's missing something.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »

Offline Vajra

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »
Don't worry OP, one day they'll stop caring.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »
If the latter third had been cut (the slower part beginning with a reprise of the main arpeggiated riff), TDoE would be much more concise and brilliant and would undoubtedly be my favorite DT instrumental. As it stands, it's just a great tune with a not-so-great ending.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 08:11:50 PM »
There's always going to be some group of people that hates something, no matter what it is.  I gave up trying to understand why a long time ago.

Haters gonna hate?

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 08:17:51 PM »
If the latter third had been cut (the slower part beginning with a reprise of the main arpeggiated riff), TDoE would be much more concise and brilliant and would undoubtedly be my favorite DT instrumental. As it stands, it's just a great tune with a not-so-great ending.
I thought I was the only one who didn't like the ending! That said, TDOE is my favorite DT instrumental.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 08:57:28 PM »
Example:

"Act I is brilliant. So is Act II.

Act II has TDOE, which I absolutely hate.
I still went with Act II, because it has Home, The Spirit Carries On and One Last Time, which I love more than any other track on the album (save maybe the whole of Scene Two)"

Oh, yeah. Thanks for pointing out my post.
You want explanation?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 09:01:25 PM »
I don't hate. I just never have a desire to listen to it, ever and I would be fine with them never playing it live again.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 09:06:29 PM »
It was fun while it lasted. Just kinda ran out of steam with me. Cool experiment on their part though.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:59 PM »
I don't see how anyone could like the weak ballads that make up half of SFAM, but I sure do love TDOE. 

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
^ Wow, haha that is harsh...

Love Lizard though...

---

Dance of Eternity is my favorite instrumental, and one of the songs I find myself listening to more so than anything on Scenes...  Also the first song I heard off Scenes, however, like people mentioned SFAM is so much better listening all the way through. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
It was fun while it lasted. Just kinda ran out of steam with me. Cool experiment on their part though.

I can agree with that, I loved it for quite a while. Then I noticed the song was more or less just a collection of riffs randomly thrown together. If it comes up on shuffle, I probably won't skip it though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:41 PM »
I don't really see people hating it?

It's definitely the song from SFAM that cops the most dislike.

I can totally see why people don't like it, although I personally do like it. It's not a highlight of the album, but I don't consider it a low point either. I think it adds variety to the album, and in the context of listening to the album I couldn't imagine skipping it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 11:50:11 PM »
It is indeed my least favourite DT song. I somehow see it as an experiment or attempt to create something like a La Villa Strangiato by DT standards. An experiment that horribly failed. LVS actually tells a story incorporating some technical self-indulgence, whereas TDOE is only the latter without telling anything. I get that they also tried to incorporate some of the crazy instrumental section of Metropolis and increase the craziness tenfold, but in the end, it's only random sections put together with almost no redeeming qualities.

I can understand why people like it (however, I can't when some people say that it's their favourite DT song, or their favourite song of all), but please don't expect from me that I ever will again.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 11:55:07 PM »
I don't hate the song, or even dislike it, but not only has it long been my least favorite song from Scenes, but is sticks out like a sore thumb.  Except for the brief token reprises from the original Metropolis, it is fairly pointless when it comes to the Scenes storyline and flow.  Every other song, including the other instrumental Overture 1928, totally engrosses you in the story, but The Dance of Eternity is like they stepped away from it all for six minutes and decided to go off on a completely random and unnecessary tangent.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 12:16:36 AM »
Cool song, one of the worst on the album but still a good song.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 02:13:16 AM »

Offline Storm Rider

• The Progressive One
  • The Progressive One
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 02:44:56 AM »
Don't worry OP, one day they'll stop caring.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 05:21:37 AM »
I don't hate the song, but it gets old REALLY fast. At first I thought it was great because of its highly technical and interesting arrangement, but as said that gets old, and I don't find much reason to revisit the song. Usually I will only listen to it as part of listening to SFAM as a whole, and even then I am inclined to skip this one track most of the time. I appreciate the more technical aspects of Dream Theater's music, as I believe everyone here does. But it's not that part of what they do that draws me back to them time and time again, and TDOE doesn't have anything else going for it really.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 05:43:24 AM »
Its a little inaccessible for the average fan. I do like it a lot, but only listen to it when I'm going through the whole SFAM. Its  also not my favorite instrumental (see Hell's Kitchen). Still, a great song.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2011, 05:57:28 AM »
Great song, and certainly one of my absolute favorites on Scenes. Not to like it is not to like fun. It doesn't have anything to do with the storyline - and other instrumental sections do? So what?

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 07:05:51 AM »
I don't hate the song, but it gets old REALLY fast. At first I thought it was great because of its highly technical and interesting arrangement, but as said that gets old, and I don't find much reason to revisit the song. Usually I will only listen to it as part of listening to SFAM as a whole, and even then I am inclined to skip this one track most of the time. I appreciate the more technical aspects of Dream Theater's music, as I believe everyone here does. But it's not that part of what they do that draws me back to them time and time again, and TDOE doesn't have anything else going for it really.
All of this.

Offline EuropaEndlos

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 07:55:08 AM »
Great song, and certainly one of my absolute favorites on Scenes. Not to like it is not to like fun. It doesn't have anything to do with the storyline - and other instrumental sections do? So what?

This...  If it wasn't called the dance of Eterenity but instead the ending of home, or the beginning of one last time, would people even be having this conversation? 

Offline Dillster22

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 08:31:31 AM »
It's boring.

Offline tgstk2

• Surmount Brutal Dutch Metal
  • PanterA
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 08:42:59 AM »
It's boring.

boring nah totally not, maybe to complex for your ears to hear the beauty of it / in it?
you can give this song numerous of names..but boring can't be one....
Als je dit vertaald hebt kom je erachter dat je weer een minuut van je leven hebt verspild

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »

This...  If it wasn't called the dance of Eterenity but instead the ending of home, or the beginning of one last time, would people even be having this conversation? 

I'd probably have a comment or two to make about Home being unnecessarily long if that were the case.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 08:54:29 AM »
I echo everything posted in this thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dillster22

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
It's boring.

boring nah totally not, maybe to complex for your ears to hear the beauty of it / in it?
you can give this song numerous of names..but boring can't be one....

Well seeing as I did call it boring, you'd assume it can be.