Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461359 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1120 on: February 04, 2012, 12:49:16 PM »
I, for one, will not be watching any of the prequels in 3D.  I am still undecided about the OT when it comes out.

This is pretty much my stance. If anything I'll probably at least see Empire.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1121 on: February 04, 2012, 12:58:39 PM »
The 3D thing is such a huge gimmick, atleast in its current state. I have a hard time believing they will be able to do a good job with it. I saw Avatar in 3D and wasn't impressed at all. However, Lion King in 3D was actually pretty neat, so I feel like that thing works much better with animated movies. I don't know how well it will translate for something recorded 14 years ago, forget something recorded in the 70s when 3D films were nothing more than a distant thought.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: February 04, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
For as crappy as that preview was, it still makes the movie look better that in actually was.  :lol

Oh, and if you don't want to wait till tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-9EYFJ4Clo

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1123 on: February 05, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
I'm going to all of them so my kid can enjoy Star Wars on the big screen.  Is it only in 3D though?  I'd rather pass on that if given the option.

Why don't you just skip the prequels if you actually want them to enjoy Star Wars?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1124 on: February 05, 2012, 12:48:06 PM »
I'm going to all of them so my kid can enjoy Star Wars on the big screen.  Is it only in 3D though?  I'd rather pass on that if given the option.

Why don't you just skip the prequels if you actually want them to enjoy Star Wars?
Sorry, but I can't stand comments like this. WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE THE PREQUELS. A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T.

Sure, they have faults. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy them in spite of said flaws. Doesn't mean everyone else can't, either.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: February 05, 2012, 12:48:14 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1126 on: February 05, 2012, 12:49:52 PM »
For as crappy as that preview was, it still makes the movie look better that in actually was.  :lol

Oh, and if you don't want to wait till tomorrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w

Usually hate those kind of vids but  :lol :rollin :mehlin

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1127 on: February 05, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

Sorry, but I can't stand comments like this. WE GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE THE PREQUELS. A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T.

Sure, they have faults. Doesn't mean I don't still enjoy them in spite of said flaws. Doesn't mean everyone else can't, either.

:chill

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: February 05, 2012, 12:57:24 PM »
Yes, that is the whole reason for the re-release.

I remember when The Phantom Menace was first released- you had two options

1. You could go in one screen and watch The Phantom Menace with digital sound etc

2. Enjoy The Matrix

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1129 on: February 05, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »

I remember when The Phantom Menace was first released- you had two options

1. You could go in one screen and watch The Phantom Menace with digital sound etc

2. Enjoy The Matrix
Those were the days.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #1130 on: February 05, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

:rollin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1131 on: February 05, 2012, 05:02:05 PM »
I took my son to see Episode I when it hit the theaters, and I'm glad, because we both enjoyed it.  He was seven and not the most critical viewer.  I knew the original trilogy quite well, and knew the challenges Lucas was facing in coming up with this movie, and it wasn't until later reflection, and really after Episode II came out, that I realized the shortcomings of Episode I in terms of the story and how it worked (and didn't work) with what had already been established.  Just as it's not really until you view all three prequels as a whole that you really start seeing all the holes and contradictions.  If something was missing from I, it could well have shown up in II with a decent explanation.  If something happened in II that didn't really make sense, for all we knew it would be explained in III and we'd be amazed at how brilliantly it all fit together.

Okay, most of that didn't happen. But back to the point, Episode I on the big screen was pretty entertaining. After all the hype and 20 years of expectations, there's no way it was going to live up to it all, but once it starts up, who cares?

Except... Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. :(

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1132 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:06 PM »
I was 8 when The Phantom Menace came out. I was a huge Star Wars fan at the time, my next door neighbor and I basically molded our lives around the original films and the expanded universe. I remember my parents surprised me by taking me to it, so I must not have realized it was out at the time.  :lol At the time I didn't really have a problem with the movie. It was still a bit too childish for me, even at that age, but there were enough cool scenes like the final battle and the pod race that I didn't mind all that much. Episode II on the other hand was a bit disappointing. I can remember being really excited about that movie, taping the teaser trailers on Nickelodeon (still have them somewhere! It was a program that let you watch and tape tv on your computer).

And while I'm not a huge fan of the PT, I don't hate it nearly as much as everyone else seems to. I thought Episode III was a pretty good movie, although there are obviously still quite a few faults in it. Being 8-14 when these films debuted, I definitely didn't originally view them as I would now, so nostalgia is probably keeping me from being much harsher on them. After Episode III, I kind of stopped being a Star Wars fanatic. I knew at the time it would be the last time I watched a real new Star Wars film in the theater (Clone Wars is NOT a real Star Wars movie). I guess I'm just happy to be able to see the films in the theater again.

Offline snowdog

« Reply #1133 on: February 06, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »
According to this poster it is in select 2D theaters as well...

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1134 on: February 06, 2012, 09:28:19 AM »

He's seen them all at home and enjoyed everyone, and the big screen will be that much cooler.  He's 2.  He hasn't developed his internet-era cynicism yet.

Also, to touch on what MetalJunkie alluded to above, the prequel hate at this point in 2012 has gotten more than a little old.  We get it.  Nobody likes them.  The OT is amazing.  The PT sucks.  All changes Lucas made to the OT suck.  This is the general opinion of popular culture and if you do not conform you are wrong.  Yawn.  Newsflash:  there are more than a few people in this world who still enjoy Star Wars for what it is, and that includes the prequel films.  Let's all take a deep breath, accept it and move on with life.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:36:12 AM by Ryzee »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1135 on: February 06, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »
You could always get 2D glasses.

https://www.2d-glasses.com/

(nerdfighters!)

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #1136 on: February 06, 2012, 12:35:06 PM »

Incorrect.  The trailer clearly states that is available in 2D in select theaters.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1137 on: February 06, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »

Incorrect.  The trailer clearly states that is available in 2D in select theaters.

Making it even more transparent that it's yet another blatant cash grab...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1138 on: February 06, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

???  Well, of course it is.  What's your point?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1139 on: February 06, 2012, 04:38:21 PM »

You do know Lucas and his track record?!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1140 on: February 06, 2012, 05:46:01 PM »

Perhaps, but the 3D is still the reason for the re-release.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: February 06, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »

Yes but re-releasing it in 3D and showing it in 2D as well ?  :lol

Offline MasterLomaxus

• Onion Flakes
« Reply #1142 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:59 PM »

Perhaps, but the 3D is still the reason for the re-release.

Drat, and so it is.

Utini!

Offline ehra

« Reply #1143 on: February 06, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »

So?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1144 on: February 07, 2012, 06:05:07 AM »

Not all theater's are equipped for 3D movies.  Never confuse the *reason* for the re-release with actually making money from it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1145 on: February 07, 2012, 06:10:41 AM »
I read on Twitter that Hollywood are keen to keep making 3D movies since if you film the screen in a 3D movie - it will look dreadful and unwatchable :P

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1146 on: February 07, 2012, 07:56:47 AM »
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1149 on: February 07, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
You know someone needs to tell Lucas that putting The Phantom Menace in 3D doesn't fix the phoned-in screenplay and card board cut out characters.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #1150 on: February 09, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TheStinger

« Reply #1151 on: February 09, 2012, 05:33:56 PM »
When will Lucas stop?  Will he eventually bring out a 4-D version in the hope we will finally like the prequels?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1153 on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:36 PM »
According to George Lucas, Han never shot first.

Its only a matter of time before Lucas is just going to have only Greedo shoot and have the shot ricochet back off the wall to kill himself, while Han just sits there.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1154 on: February 09, 2012, 11:10:56 PM »

He's seen them all at home and enjoyed everyone, and the big screen will be that much cooler.  He's 2.  He hasn't developed his internet-era cynicism yet.

Also, to touch on what MetalJunkie alluded to above, the prequel hate at this point in 2012 has gotten more than a little old.  We get it.  Nobody likes them.  The OT is amazing.  The PT sucks.  All changes Lucas made to the OT suck.  This is the general opinion of popular culture and if you do not conform you are wrong.  Yawn.  Newsflash:  there are more than a few people in this world who still enjoy Star Wars for what it is, and that includes the prequel films.  Let's all take a deep breath, accept it and move on with life.  ::)

This exactly.

It's a shame that modern day fandom has become little more than an overly vocal group of hateboys trying to ruin experiences for other people.