Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461262 times)

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1085 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
Just thought I would post in here today. I woke up sick today and had to work, so when I returned home I made up for it by getting into my sick sweater, grabbed some OJ, and turned on Return of the Jedi.

Nothing makes me happier when I'm sick. I feel like I'm 7 again.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1086 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:20 AM »
Lucas's new movie looks pretty good. Giant article in the NY Times about him: https://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

This seemed relevant to the discussion in this thread:

“I think there are a lot more important things in the world” than feuds with fanboys, Lucas says with a kind of weary diffidence. But then he gets serious, even a little wounded. Lucas explains that his first major features — “THX 1138” and “American Graffiti” — were forcibly re-edited by the studios. Those were wrenching experiences he has compared to someone keying your car (he loves cars) or chopping a finger off one of your children (he has three and loves them too). Afterward, Lucas set out to gain financial independence so the final cut would forever be his. “If the movie doesn’t work,” he vowed, “it’s going to be my fault.”

When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster. “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”

Yeah, maybe he should've listened.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ehra

« Reply #1087 on: January 18, 2012, 06:08:17 AM »
“On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits.

Wait, does he really think this?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1088 on: January 18, 2012, 10:10:45 AM »
Rant:

It really bothers me the way that Lucas dismisses all the claims of fans. They're not criticizing his work. They're criticizing him CHANGING his work and forcing it upon people. It was perfect the way it was. Trying to disregard/erase the original films is a slap in the face to those that grew up with them and cherished the films. If he wants to edit his film and include flying X Wings that shoot proton dildos then fine, but at least respect the fanbase that want the movie the way most originally experienced it. Especially when he goes beyond simple cosmetic fixes (the lightsabers) and changes the dynamics of scenes (Anakin's ghost/noo/etc).

The fact of the matter is that, no matter how hard he tries, the original films will ALWAYS be different then the prequels. The cities won't be as big and advanced as they were in TPM. They SHOULDN'T be. It was filmed 20 years before the prequels. Same thing with the aliens. The charm of the originals lies within those things, the puppets and the scenery. He should stop trying to take a 34 yearold film and make it look like it was all recorded yesterday.

The movies are important to the fans. I was really looking forward to the films being released on blu ray, hoping they would include the originals. When I heard it was the 97 SE, I wasn't as enthusiastic but still happy because (most) of the changes were bearable. and those editions were the first I saw in a theater. But I can't buy the set with these changes. I will be seeing the films in a theater when they release the 3D ones and I will enjoy it... but I will cringe every time I see one of the crappy changes made.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1089 on: January 18, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
IMHO, this is what's going through Lucas' mind.

"Oh, they have some disagreements about the movies. I'm sorry, this was what I thought the way it should go. My bad."

Years and years of people STILL bitching about it.

"Okay, there are some of these critiques that are completely understandable. But they get lost in the noise of the constant complaining."

MORE YEARS OF BITCHING

"Okay, you know what? People need to understand that I wrote the movie and this was my vision. I get that people don't like it, but this is my movie. They need to STFU already."

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1090 on: January 18, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »
I got around to watching "The People vs. George Lucas". It is a must see.
It raises some really good points! Yet it's incredibly difficult to watch the whole documentary without falling asleep.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1091 on: January 18, 2012, 10:34:09 AM »
I got around to watching "The People vs. George Lucas". It is a must see.
It raises some really good points! Yet it's incredibly difficult to watch the whole documentary without falling asleep.

Some parts, totally. I think the nerds in that film really put me in the middle-to siding with Lucas.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1092 on: January 19, 2012, 08:40:53 AM »
MSN's article about his retirement made me puke.  At only a few paragraphs long, they manage to not encapsulate his career and how he changed the industry, but rather just remind you that it's still cool to hate him.  Throw in a misleading title and there you have it.

Can't say I hold it against him for all of this stuff finally getting to him, if that is even the case.  He never seemed to have a legitimate problem with it before though.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1093 on: January 19, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »
Why would he? He is rolling in dough regardless.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #1094 on: January 24, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
This was on the news today, full length fan movie compiled from different peoples' 15 second clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezeYJUz-84
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1095 on: January 24, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
George Lucas Retirement Story

Money quote:

"On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie," Lucas says. "I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'"

I can't be the only one who thinks he's acting very immature.  Show business is about producing a product that people want to see.  Very few people are talented enough to ignore their audience and be successful.  George Lucas isn't one of them.  If the Star Wars prequels didn't have the Star Wars name, they would just be mediocre science fiction films with dated effects.

Also, in a larger sense, isn't Star Wars bigger than just him?  It's obviously affected so many peoples' lives in so many ways.  And he apparently doesn't care about any of that.

EDIT:  Notice how, even though he's supposedly retired, he didn't officially say there wouldn't be an Indiana Jones 5.  Can someone tell me how this isn't just him whining and acting out?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1096 on: January 24, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
I don't know why but this reminds me of the Mike Portnoy situation, when he was still in DT.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1097 on: January 25, 2012, 10:11:52 PM »
 :\

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1098 on: January 27, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »
Reap, I don't think the prequels were horrible movies like many do, but frankly they would not have been nearly as successful without the Star Wars name.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1099 on: January 27, 2012, 02:40:54 PM »
Reap, I don't think the prequels were horrible movies like many do, but frankly they would not have been nearly as successful without the Star Wars name.

I agree.
Over and over again

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1100 on: January 29, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
I started watching TESB on "videosite" and was really getting into it. I wouldn't mind owning the original trilogy. Can I still get the OT without all the retarded CGI retardedness added in? As long as the characters don't look like PS1 pixel blocks, I don't care about the video quality that much. I have a shit TV right now anyway.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1101 on: January 29, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
I started watching TESB on "videosite" and was really getting into it. I wouldn't mind owning the original trilogy. Can I still get the OT without all the retarded CGI retardedness added in? As long as the characters don't look like PS1 pixel blocks, I don't care about the video quality that much. I have a shit TV right now anyway.
AFAIK, the only way to get it unretouched is on the original VHS box set.  You'd probably have to find it on eBay.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1102 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »
I thought there was that 2-disc release that had the SE version and the original version?

searches....

This?

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1327893996&sr=8-11   
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1103 on: January 29, 2012, 09:37:07 PM »
Yeah, you can get it on DVD, but the transfer of it is pretty crappy and half of the screen is black.  :lol Its also only in stereo which is pretty disappointing for a film of Star War's nature.

I have the laserdisc of ROTJ, but alas, no laserdisc player.  :lol I hear those are the best versions of the OT since they don't have tape wear and they are better quality than the DVDs.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1104 on: January 29, 2012, 09:48:18 PM »
You can also serve Thanksgiving turkeys on them.

Offline GuineaPig

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: February 02, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
I couldn't get past 10 seconds of that. :puke:

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: February 02, 2012, 04:40:04 PM »
I bet that's because you weren't in the target demographic.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1108 on: February 02, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
I couldn't get past 10 seconds of that. :puke:

:facepalm:

I hate when trailers talk down to kids.

and I just had a thought.

It would have been sweet if Queen Amidala was Taken and all of Episode 1 was just Liam Neeson trying to get her back and kicking everbody's ass.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:57:49 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1109 on: February 02, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »
It would have been sweet if Queen Amidala was Taken and all of Episode 1 was just Liam Neeson trying to get her back and kicking everbody's ass.

It pretty much was, except that instead of French people, we got Gungans.  I would rather have the French.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1110 on: February 03, 2012, 03:12:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69ftWNg97U&feature=player_embedded

I had to turn that off.  I felt disgusted.  I'd never show that to my kid.  I wouldn't want to make him into an idiot.

Star Wars shouldn't be associated with something like this. 

This reminds me of the Avatar family trailer.  The only reason anyone sees them is because they heard about how horrible they were.

It's not even like these things would get kids into the movies.  When you're a kid, you want to see a bad ass movie trailer, not get talked down to.

And if that sounds too much like conjecture, then consider the fact that arguably the most successful kids movie company of the last twenty years, Pixar, has never released a family trailer.  At least that I know of.

Stop.  Please, just stop.
Over and over again

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1111 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »
Star Wars with ramping.  :|

Within the first few seconds I muted it and unpaused Famine by Opeth. It made it very nearly bearable.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1112 on: February 03, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »
I thought it was funny.  What would a Star Wars trailer for five-year-olds sound like?  This.  Anyone much older than that would be insulted, but as has been said, they're not the target audience.  I watched it just because it was so obnoxious.  Like a train wreck, I had to take it all in.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #1113 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
I find myself just not caring about Star Wars anymore, even though I've been a huge fan for most of my life. I didn't get the blu rays, and there's no way I'm seeing these 3D cash grabs. OH BOY JAR JAR'S TONGUE RIGHT IN MY FACE!! CINEMATIC HEAVEN!!
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #1114 on: February 04, 2012, 03:21:59 AM »
I find myself just not caring about Star Wars anymore, even though I've been a huge fan for most of my life. I didn't get the blu rays, and there's no way I'm seeing these 3D cash grabs. OH BOY JAR JAR'S TONGUE RIGHT IN MY FACE!! CINEMATIC HEAVEN!!

I'm almost in the same boat. I've been very wary of becoming an elitist nerd who only wants Star Wars exactly how I remember it first time, but I've ended up becoming it. I threw out the 2004 special editions and kept the bonus disc of the original. Jar Jar and seeing constant adverts for the Phantom Menace in 3D makes me angry and I can't help it. People like use need counseling.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1115 on: February 04, 2012, 07:19:50 AM »
I, for one, will not be watching any of the prequels in 3D.  I am still undecided about the OT when it comes out.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1116 on: February 04, 2012, 08:36:39 AM »
I'm going because I'm not gonna be sober so it is perfectly acceptable.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1117 on: February 04, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
I'm going to all of them so my kid can enjoy Star Wars on the big screen.  Is it only in 3D though?  I'd rather pass on that if given the option.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1118 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
I'll go, but only because I like movie theater popcorn. Come to think of it, that's usually the biggest reason I go to any movies at all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1119 on: February 04, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »
I'm going to all of them so my kid can enjoy Star Wars on the big screen.  Is it only in 3D though?  I'd rather pass on that if given the option.
Yes, that is the whole reason for the re-release.