Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461346 times)

Offline petrucci07

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #980 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:19 PM »
The only bit of music from the prequels that I remember is the bit where the choir is being all dramatic while the trumpets (I think?) are like "do do doodloodoo do do dooloodoo do do dooloodoo do do dooloodoo" really fast. The originals, on the other hand, are full of memorable themes.

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbPX4xrKNlM

Offline ehra

« Reply #981 on: December 18, 2011, 04:46:28 PM »
Yeah, that's the ticket.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #982 on: December 18, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
It may sound crazy, but one of my pet peeves is when people spell Wookiee as Wookie. It's spelled incorrectly probably 95% of the time. The word "Wookiee" shows up in subtitles in Return of the Jedi, so I don't know why people only use one e. There's also Wookieepedia, a major Star Wars website, plus all the books that spell it correctly. I find it odd that many die hard Star Wars fans can spell every weirdass name correctly, but then spell Wookiee with one e. Is it because they want to link it somehow to cookie? Maybe it's because some early publications in the 70s spelled it as Wookie, and that stuck?
So, as an education to all my fellow Star Wars dweebs, it's spelled "Wookiee", not "Wookie". Thank you and good day. :bosky:
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #983 on: December 18, 2011, 05:05:09 PM »
Noted.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #984 on: December 18, 2011, 05:10:49 PM »
It may sound crazy, but one of my pet peeves is when people spell Wookiee as Wookie. It's spelled incorrectly probably 95% of the time. The word "Wookiee" shows up in subtitles in Return of the Jedi, so I don't know why people only use one e. There's also Wookieepedia, a major Star Wars website, plus all the books that spell it correctly. I find it odd that many die hard Star Wars fans can spell every weirdass name correctly, but then spell Wookiee with one e. Is it because they want to link it somehow to cookie? Maybe it's because some early publications in the 70s spelled it as Wookie, and that stuck?
So, as an education to all my fellow Star Wars dweebs, it's spelled "Wookiee", not "Wookie". Thank you and good day. :bosky:

Thank you. That drives me insane, and I feel like I'm the only one who notices. Glad to see I'm not.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #985 on: December 18, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »
Yeah, that's the ticket.

From the prequels, Duel of the Fates is the best them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: December 18, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »
Actually Through the Stars (I think it's called), the love theme, is the best of them.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #987 on: December 18, 2011, 06:12:21 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: December 18, 2011, 06:42:57 PM »
Yes, I do. Thank you. I love how the main motive starts with a minor 6th interval as if to represent how the romance failed in contrast to Han and Leia's whose love theme motive begins with a major 6th interval.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #989 on: December 18, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
Yes, well, listen to it back-to-back with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmUWNUzaqo

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: December 18, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »
Haha. Yes, I hear the resemblance.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #991 on: December 19, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »
One thing I tend to do from time to time is watch the movie by listening to the soundtrack. Never has there been a soundtrack so iconic and epic and memorable, where I can start from track 1 on the remaster 2 disk version and go from beginning to end reliving the whole movie in my head and enjoying every minute of it. Without a doubt, the Star Wars (OT only) are the best soundtracks "ever" (however Peter Gabriel's Passion is my all time favorite soundtrack).
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #992 on: December 19, 2011, 01:46:31 PM »
Sorry to derail the 'musical' chat going on but I have a question that may or may not have been asked/discussed....

In 'Return of the Jedi' when Vadar and Luke are dualing at the end....after Vader lures Luke out with his threat against Lea.....Luke just goes bezerk on Vader....we've all watched it....just a melee of wild saber hits and pummeling. No real 'technique' to it...just pure power. What is your take on why Vader so quickly was overcome and defeated after that. Was the 'force' that Luke had fueled by the 'dark side' in those moments strengthening him beyond what Vader had ever encountered...therefor he was defeated so easily? Was Vader just old and really didn't have much fight left in him? Did he say 'F' it, Luke's the man now I give up...almost a surrender to be put out of his misery.
  Just wondering due to how quickly Vader seemed to go from a very threatening and imposing figure to a helpless being on his back, proping himself up with one hand while meagerly defending himself with another.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: December 19, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Interesting discussion, and I've always looked at it as Darth Vader not really wanting to kill Luke, but rather have him join him and turn against the Emperor.  He was taunting him in order to turn him towards the dark side, but when it came down to a powerful jedi (at this point, Luke has been training for nearly 10 years according to a timeline from GL) who tapped into his anger, Darth Vader realized the only way he could stop Luke was to kill him, and with that conflict already present in his mind, he couldn't do it. 

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #994 on: December 19, 2011, 02:05:50 PM »
(at this point, Luke has been training for nearly 10 years according to a timeline from GL)

Where did you get that info? ROTJ takes place 4 years after ANH, and 1 year after ESB.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: December 19, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »
Interesting discussion, and I've always looked at it as Darth Vader not really wanting to kill Luke, but rather have him join him and turn against the Emperor.  He was taunting him in order to turn him towards the dark side, but when it came down to a powerful jedi (at this point, Luke has been training for nearly 10 years according to a timeline from GL) who tapped into his anger, Darth Vader realized the only way he could stop Luke was to kill him, and with that conflict already present in his mind, he couldn't do it.

That's an interesting way to look at it. I will admit that although I am a big fan of Star Wars the extent of 'galaxy far far away' knowledge comes from the movies. I haven't pursued it outside of that...no reading interviews and what not. I'm guessing that's where you learned Lucas' timeline?
  I had always leaned towards what I stated...that once Luke got ticked and defensive he tapped into some of that Dark Side energy and just kicked Vaders butt. Where he and Vader differed would have been right after the moment he had beaten Vader and the Emporer approached him...he was able to gather himself and fight that urge and taste of power...and refuse it.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #996 on: December 19, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
(at this point, Luke has been training for nearly 10 years according to a timeline from GL)

Where did you get that info? ROTJ takes place 4 years after ANH, and 1 year after ESB.

You are correct, my memory recalls reading a GL quote stating 10 years, but a look at the official timeline says otherwise.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #997 on: December 19, 2011, 04:52:39 PM »
Weren't there a few scenes where either Vader or the emperor actually encourage Luke to tap into the Dark Side?  I haven't watched the OT in a while, but I seem to recall Luke fighting one of them, and they're going "Yes, feel the hate, feel the power of the Dark Side, let it strengthen you!" or something like that.  Well, it always seemed to me that Luke got pissed enough to tap into the Dark Side, and that's what enabled him to defeat Vader.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #998 on: December 19, 2011, 04:55:19 PM »

You are correct, my memory recalls reading a GL quote stating 10 years, but a look at the official timeline says otherwise.

Don't trust Old Man Lucas on anything. Ever.

Offline ehra

« Reply #999 on: December 19, 2011, 07:47:12 PM »
Weren't there a few scenes where either Vader or the emperor actually encourage Luke to tap into the Dark Side?  I haven't watched the OT in a while, but I seem to recall Luke fighting one of them, and they're going "Yes, feel the hate, feel the power of the Dark Side, let it strengthen you!" or something like that.  Well, it always seemed to me that Luke got pissed enough to tap into the Dark Side, and that's what enabled him to defeat Vader.

Yep. Also notice how, after he's beaten Vadar into submission, he notices he has a robotic arm just like Luke which makes him realize just how close to becoming his dad he is. He realizes how easy it is to slip into the dark side, and then (from what I remember) to fight further.

I also think a good amount of it is Vadar simply not expecting Luke to go as bat shit crazy as he did.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1000 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:55 PM »
Vadar.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ehra

« Reply #1001 on: December 19, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »
Like a force sensitive pirate.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1002 on: December 20, 2011, 05:26:46 AM »

Don't trust Old Man Lucas on anything. Ever.

So unfortunate, so true.

That's why I consult subpar EU writers. :neverusethis: (jk EU is awesome)

Offline Rane

• Lord of Lego
  • I like turtles
« Reply #1003 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:43 AM »
Musically, both Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars are AWESOME!

As for Vader being "easily" defeated by Luke, I do think it's a burst of rage by Luke that gives him the strength to do it. And that raw emotion that's unleashed by Luke is probably much closer to his full potential than had been realized up to that point. It seems that Luke has a greater connection to the force than even Vader.

Also, it seems like Luke gets the initial jump on Vader in that scene. As Vader is looking for Luke in that "chamber," it seems Luke is meditating so that Vader can't sense him. Once Vader realizes about Leia, Luke flips out and attacks Vader. In that moment, Vader seems to have been surprised as he was looking in a different spot for Luke. So Luke has all the "rage power" (i.e., tapping the dark side) and he gets the initial jump on Vader. Vader basically does all he can to fend off the attack.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: December 20, 2011, 07:32:19 AM »

As for Vader being "easily" defeated by Luke, I do think it's a burst of rage by Luke that gives him the strength to do it. And that raw emotion that's unleashed by Luke is probably much closer to his full potential than had been realized up to that point. It seems that Luke has a greater connection to the force than even Vader.

Also, it seems like Luke gets the initial jump on Vader in that scene. As Vader is looking for Luke in that "chamber," it seems Luke is meditating so that Vader can't sense him. Once Vader realizes about Leia, Luke flips out and attacks Vader. In that moment, Vader seems to have been surprised as he was looking in a different spot for Luke. So Luke has all the "rage power" (i.e., tapping the dark side) and he gets the initial jump on Vader. Vader basically does all he can to fend off the attack.

This...and the other suggestions that Luke does tap into a bit of the dark side power is what I've always thought as well....was just curious as to if I was 'in line' with the rest of ya'll.
  What I'm really wondering though is if Lucas really put that much thought into it...what that whole dual scene meant and was like we've described, or if the fans have interpreted it and turned into something greater and more deep than Lucas had ever intended. Was it just a light saber dual to him? Or do you think he intended all of these underlying themes and possibilities?

Offline ehra

« Reply #1005 on: December 20, 2011, 07:37:35 AM »
I'm positive it was fully intended. Now whether that scene originated from Lucas or someone else that was working on the movie, I have no idea.

Offline Rane

• Lord of Lego
  • I like turtles
« Reply #1006 on: December 20, 2011, 08:02:27 AM »
It's most certainly intentional. The music in the background alone shows that. That music is SUPERB! So even if Lucas has no part in conducting the music, he's still explaining to Williams what the significance is going on.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1007 on: December 20, 2011, 09:38:14 AM »
(however Peter Gabriel's Passion is my all time favorite soundtrack).
Yeah, that is fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1008 on: December 20, 2011, 02:29:37 PM »
It's most certainly intentional. The music in the background alone shows that. That music is SUPERB! So even if Lucas has no part in conducting the music, he's still explaining to Williams what the significance is going on.

Yeah, the music is that scene is really haunting.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1009 on: December 21, 2011, 11:35:39 AM »
Yeah I take the Luke and Vader final battle scene as Luke completely losing control and from that point on he's acting on instinct or the force. For that brief moment, that's not Luke, but pure rage in a physical form. Exactly was Jedi's are trained not to do. Also perhaps Vader was horrified at what he saw. For a moment he saw his son become him and maybe for that split moment Vader realized what he had become. This is why I'm so opposed to the "No". In my mind before Vader even gets up off the ground, he's already fighting his demons.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1010 on: December 21, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »
Yeah I take the Luke and Vader final battle scene as Luke completely losing control and from that point on he's acting on instinct or the force. For that brief moment, that's not Luke, but pure rage in a physical form. Exactly was Jedi's are trained not to do. Also perhaps Vader was horrified at what he saw. For a moment he saw his son become him and maybe for that split moment Vader realized what he had become. This is why I'm so opposed to the "No". In my mind before Vader even gets up off the ground, he's already fighting his demons.

It's like Van Damme and Chong Li at the end of Bloodsport.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1011 on: December 22, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »
I love that interpretation, Vivace, especially the part about Vader.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1012 on: December 22, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »
The ROTJ duel scene was an amazing moment in movie history, and it really did lose all of its magic with the "No". :(

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1013 on: December 22, 2011, 03:58:22 PM »
The ROTJ Max Rebo Band song was an amazing moment in movie history, and it really did lose all of its magic with the "Jedi Rocks". :(
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1014 on: December 22, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
Actually Through the Stars (I think it's called), the love theme, is the best of them.

You mean Across the Stars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nk_WHHTQtY

Yes, I do. Thank you. I love how the main motive starts with a minor 6th interval as if to represent how the romance failed in contrast to Han and Leia's whose love theme motive begins with a major 6th interval.

Yes, well, listen to it back-to-back with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCmUWNUzaqo

Haha. Yes, I hear the resemblance.

Ahem....erm....um...are ya'll familiar with a little film with Henry Fonda and Catherine Hepburn called On Golden Pond?

Welllllll why don't you take listen, especially at the 2:00 mark....with a few changes, Across The Stars is almost not an original piece :-\
https://youtu.be/Ttd1yDbjUpY