Author Topic: Mike Mangini interview by radiometal.com, 08/06/2011  (Read 5320 times)

Offline nikatapi

Mike Mangini interview by radiometal.com, 08/06/2011
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
Bandmember interviewed: Mike Mangini
Date: 08/06/2011
Source: https://www.radiometal.com/en/article/dream-theater-the-spirit-carries-on-episode-2-mike-mangini-2,35867

I really believe that Mr. Mangini is an amazing person, and his enthusiasm makes me excited about the future of Dream Theater.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Mike Mangini interview by radiometal.com, 08/06/2011
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:57:52 AM »
MM is so good, he gives interviews from the future. Awesome.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »

rumborak

Not everybody is American you know.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
Nonsense! As we know from Independence Day, on the 4th of July, the whole world is American!!

:-*

Just teasing you. Cool interview, I found it interesting that MM had to buy and prepare all his stuff on his own because he couldn't tell anybody that he's the new drummer.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 11:04:27 AM »
"I'll tell you what they gave me, because it's important to me: they gave me their trust, and they gave me a new life. That's worth much, much, much more." :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »
I’ll tell you what they gave me, because it’s important to me: they gave me their trust, and they gave me a new life.
This is great...  :D

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »
I love MM's interviews. I also really like that this interviewer asked questions like will Jordan be singing etc.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
This interview (and the connected JP interview) are awesome, and the interviewer asked great questions (aside from the SKOM question, that was more WTF for me).

Offline darkshade

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »

rumborak

Not everybody is American you know.

So the interview is from a month ago? even though it's dated July 2 on the actual page?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 11:26:39 AM »
 :heart
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
I thought it was interesting when he said that the band wants to play the older songs at the original tempos, which they haven't been able to do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:35:32 AM »
I absolutely love reading interviews with MM. It's very refreshing to see such enthusiasm, humility and restraint at the same time. :)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »
I thought it was interesting when he said that the band wants to play the older songs at the original tempos, which they haven't been able to do.

Me too. I can't remember exact songs offhand, but there were a few times during both Score and Chaos in Motion where they started a tune and I thought to myself, "Well, that's not right..."
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 11:40:31 AM »

Me too, although it was a bit of a bummer too.  Part of hearing their live stuff that I enjoyed was the differing tempos.  Although in a sense I understand it.  They're getting older and they want to keep playing big shows because they know the fans want it.  Things have to give here and there, and one of them is increased consistency in the playing to keep the energy of each performance from a "how fast is it going to be tonight?" standpoint down.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
I imagine it's good news for the visuals, though - they always used to go right out of sync.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 11:50:54 AM »

Me too, although it was a bit of a bummer too.  Part of hearing their live stuff that I enjoyed was the differing tempos.  Although in a sense I understand it.  They're getting older and they want to keep playing big shows because they know the fans want it.  Things have to give here and there, and one of them is increased consistency in the playing to keep the energy of each performance from a "how fast is it going to be tonight?" standpoint down.

Yea, but it's also a matter of just keeping the songs themselves at a semi-constant tempo. Lots of times certain parts would drastically speed up if MP was having a good time, and then slow down and so forth.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Addy

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 12:08:16 PM »
"I'll tell you what they gave me, because it's important to me: they gave me their trust, and they gave me a new life. That's worth much, much, much more." :tup
Loved that answer. And the interview is great !

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 12:10:25 PM »
Loved that answer. And the interview is great !
Yeah indeed. And it was a great question and one of the best answers I have ever heard from anybody.

Offline hipodilski

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 12:17:35 PM »
Actually most of the time DT used to play slower than the album versions, especially or more intricate parts. When you are at the show, you can barely notice, but it's quite evident on bootlegs.

Anyway, speaking of boots, I'm really looking forward to seeing this evening's performance on Dime as soon as possible. :)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
Anyway, speaking of boots, I'm really looking forward to seeing this evening's performance on Dime as soon as possible. :)

I don't have an account, so I'm really hoping it shows up here ASAP.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Aniland

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
08/06/2011

lol

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »
You were not part of the writing of the album because it had already been written. What about for the next ones?

Oh, I don’t know. I want to approach things one step at a time. The first step for me was not to be involved in the writing for two reasons. The first reason is that John, John, James and Jordan wanted the experience of writing together with no drummer for the first time. As a fan of the band, I really wanted to see that, so I agreed with this. I wanted to have them be really happy experiencing being composers with no drummer at all. The other reason I was not part of the writing was because I had too much work to do! In other words, I still had a full time job at Berklee, and I had to prepare my equipment for the recording. It took me three months to get all my equipment ready, because I couldn’t tell anybody! I needed a lot of stuff and I had to do all the work myself.
Fair enough. :lol
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
I don't particularly subscribe to the "System A is better than System B" nonsense. Write "math" or "maths," "color" or "colour" - I honestly don't care. But if we're gonna be dismissive, it's gonna go both ways.

08/06/2011

lol

"X of Y of Z" makes a lot more sense than "Y the X of Z." The relationship between each figure is the same. It's a simple progression from small-unit to big-unit. X < Y < Z. Rather than (X > Y) < Z, which is incredibly clumsy.

It's not only neater, but the system that every other country in the world uses.

"MM / DD / YY" makes about as much sense as writing times in the format "minute / second / hour" would be, and to everyone else, looks just as silly.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:36 PM »
"Mike’s not coming back, and that’s the deal. I’m the drummer, and that’s the end of it. I feel confident of that."

My favorite part.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline farsight

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 01:04:18 PM »
It's not only neater, but the system that every other country in the world uses.
rest of the world, fuck yeah!  ;)
The first step for me was not to be involved in the writing for two reasons. The first reason is that John, John, James and Jordan wanted the experience of writing together with no drummer for the first time. As a fan of the band, I really wanted to see that, so I agreed with this.
ooh, so MP wasnt the only one who got burnt out after all

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
The first step for me was not to be involved in the writing for two reasons. The first reason is that John, John, James and Jordan wanted the experience of writing together with no drummer for the first time. As a fan of the band, I really wanted to see that, so I agreed with this.
Wait, how did you come to that conclusion from that statement?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 01:30:15 PM »
I don't particularly subscribe to the "System A is better than System B" nonsense. Write "math" or "maths," "color" or "colour" - I honestly don't care. But if we're gonna be dismissive, it's gonna go both ways.

08/06/2011

lol

"X of Y of Z" makes a lot more sense than "Y the X of Z." The relationship between each figure is the same. It's a simple progression from small-unit to big-unit. X < Y < Z. Rather than (X > Y) < Z, which is incredibly clumsy.

"MM / DD / YY" makes about as much sense as writing times in the format "minute / second / hour" would be, and to everyone else, looks just as silly.

Well said and all, but I you might be missing something:

Quote from: Website
Saturday, July 2nd, 2011 at 6:53 pm by Metal'O Phil

08/06 is either June 8th or August 6th. 

This interview appears to have been posted on July 2nd.

EDIT: Nevermind.  Scrolled to the bottom, saw the interview conducted date.  Feel free to facepalm.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 01:33:28 PM »
The date i wrote is the day the interview was conducted, not the day it was posted.
If you look at the end of the interview, it says : "Interview conducted on june 8th, 2011 by phone."
And sorry for any misunderstandings, but in the sticky thread it said that it isn't obligatory that we use the North American system when writing dates.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 11:48:13 AM »
08/06/2011

lol

Wednesday 8th of June 2011

Makes more sense than :

August the Wednesday of 2011

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
Wait, how did you come to that conclusion from that statement?
No kidding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.