Author Topic: The Instrumental Version of BC&SL Is Much Better Than The Original.  (Read 4269 times)

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
Especially TCOT. I hate to sound too snobby, but the lyrics on BC&SL make it practically unlistenable for me, it's painful. However the album works suprisingly well as an instrumental, and I love the way the keyboard is more in the spotlight than on the original. There's literally dozens of little things I had no idea JR was playing on the original.

Discuss.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
Re: The Instrumental Version of BC&SL Is Much Better Than The Original.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 07:07:25 AM »
I can definitely see why you'd say that. It's bound to happen with music that's so dense (not just backing for the vocalist) while the lyrics are more of an afterthought than an integral part of the song from the start.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »
Are you talking about the instrumental tracks where the solos are also removed?

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:46:38 AM »
While I dislike a lot of the lyrics on Black Clouds, the vocal melodies help to make the song.  I found AROP particularly boring on an instrumental run.

Offline wjc

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:51:13 AM »
Conincidentally I just listened to it. It has some nice moments where you hear stuff that was previously buried under vocals. It was less cringey than normal BCSL but I don't know if it's necessarily *better*. Different maybe.
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline purpleplanet10

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 08:12:11 AM »
i like the lyrics on most of the songs. TCOT is ok.. kinda cheesie.. but i think that was part os the play. i do like the instrumental versions, and since my wife got me the Collocters version of the album for christams lat year, i have since made the full version of the instrumental album WITH the solos in them. now its sound like a full instrumental version

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:14:40 PM »
I'm actually one of the few people who really like BC&SL (according to my statistics from the DT album ranking topic, no one put it in the 1st position and I'm one of the few who put it in 2nd). So I naturally prefer the original version than the instrumentals.

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 12:47:35 PM »
While I dislike a lot of the lyrics on Black Clouds, the vocal melodies help to make the song.  I found AROP particularly boring on an instrumental run.

Agree 100%.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »
i understand the lyrics are cheesey in tCoT, but I love that damn chorus in the song!

It's pure awesomeness when driving in the car with the windows down singing like a frantic idiot!

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »
I disagree, but more power to you friend.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:59:01 PM »
i understand the lyrics are cheesey in tCoT, but I love that damn chorus in the song!

It's pure awesomeness when driving in the car with the windows down singing like a frantic idiot!
Well, plus it's a true story isn't it? Regardless of how lyrics come off, they told the story well, and it's actually an interesting story.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 10:12:53 PM »
Yeah...I remember the first few times I heard TCOT and couldn't stand the god-awful lyrics but after listening to the song a zillion times in my car that summer, everything about it grew on me, bad rhymes and all. One song that I can't stand without the vocals, believe it or not, is ANTR...gotta have the beautiful melodies and it's worth the price of Mike's angry chant later in the song.
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:14:31 PM »
Yeah...I remember the first few times I heard TCOT and couldn't stand the god-awful lyrics but after listening to the song a zillion times in my car that summer, everything about it grew on me, bad rhymes and all. One song that I can't stand without the vocals, believe it or not, is ANTR...gotta have the beautiful melodies and it's worth the price of Mike's angry chant later in the song.

I'm still trying to figure out a good way of editing that part out.

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 10:16:23 PM »
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed that little rap?  :|

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 10:55:11 PM »
Before I used to be on any forums or converse with other DT fans i always wondered why the eff is his voice on any album ever? It ruins every song it's in. I'm still wondering that but now know that I wasnt alone in thinking that.

As for the lyrics in Count I love them. Me and my buddies just sang took it as a fun song telling the story of a count and love it for what it is. Best of Times lyrics on the other hand...... :tdwn :|.....so bad

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 01:52:06 AM »
I find the instrumental versions far too boring. The songs weren't written to be instrumentals, so once you take the vocals out it's obvious that something is missing. Even if the lyrics are grating at times, the presence of a voice adds to the overall sound of the songs. Then they take the leads/solos out aswell for some odd reason, I didn't get that.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 01:57:52 AM »
I find the instrumental versions far too boring. The songs weren't written to be instrumentals, so once you take the vocals out it's obvious that something is missing. Even if the lyrics are grating at times, the presence of a voice adds to the overall sound of the songs. Then they take the leads/solos out aswell for some odd reason, I didn't get that.
Maybe so that people could play the solos while listening to the instrumentals? I have no idea, but that's what I figured. I sure as hell enjoy singing to them.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 04:19:56 AM »
Hell no. It's an amazing album that becomes quite bland if you take out the vocals and the solos.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:32:39 AM »
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed that little rap?  :|

I like it.  :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 04:47:38 AM »
I find the instrumental versions far too boring. The songs weren't written to be instrumentals, so once you take the vocals out it's obvious that something is missing. Even if the lyrics are grating at times, the presence of a voice adds to the overall sound of the songs.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 04:51:51 AM »
I find the instrumental versions far too boring. The songs weren't written to be instrumentals, so once you take the vocals out it's obvious that something is missing. Even if the lyrics are grating at times, the presence of a voice adds to the overall sound of the songs.
This.
+ 1

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 05:07:13 AM »
This.
+ 1
+1
Even, I'm just listening to Train Of Thought instrumental demos, and it sounds so raw, I like it, Honor Thy Father is a killer here  :metal :metal

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
I haven't really listened to the instrumental disc, maybe once or twice. However, it made me realise how Jordan's keys in the TCOT chorus have been buried.

Offline Elaitch

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 10:28:01 AM »
Considering that parts of songs are cut out (for example the epic moodsetting thunder-and-rain effect in ANTR, as well as the fade-in in The Shattered Fortress), and that solo tracks is removed in addition to the vocals, I very much disagree. But yeah, some of the lyrics aren't that good. They suffer from being either a tad too personal (The Best of Times, no offense to MP but it probably sounds cheesy to an outside listener who doesn't know the background to it), a little too staggered (ANTR) or a little too plain (Wither). The Count of Tuscany at least has lyrics with a coherent story that you can actually follow along to in your head, with your own imagery. And as Bolsters said, they aren't made to be instrumentals.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:02 AM »
I started exactly the same thread a few months after BCSL came out. I completely agree, and I thought it showed how DT writes songs, i.e. without the singer. So, the instrumental stuff gets adjusted to be perfectly meshing with each other, but then the vocals gets put on top. The "day after day, night after night" was the most extreme outcome of this serialization, where they were seemingly unwilling to change the background music, even though they realized that the vocals/lyrics didn't work at all with the music.
Yes, the lack of solos is annoying, but if you had the instrumentals with the solos, I think quite a few tracks would be clear winners in the instrumental versions.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
I prefer the lack of solos, like in TSF instead of Jordan's infamous solo you just get that rockin' riff that plays underneath.

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 01:44:48 PM »
I prefer the lack of solos, like in TSF instead of Jordan's infamous solo you just get that rockin' riff that plays underneath.
The guitar solos on TSF were awesome though.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »
The guitar solos on TSF were awesome though.

Meh, JP's solos haven't done much for me since the one in Octavarium, but I can see why people would disagree, for sure.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »
Meh, JP's solos haven't done much for me since the one in Octavarium, but I can see why people would disagree, for sure.

But hearing so many riffs, with no solos... I don't even wanna say it's boring, it just seems sort of, empty.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 05:36:49 PM by TheGreatPretender »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »
It definitely sounds empty, because you hear that the backing tracks take a step back in order to leave space for the solo.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."