Author Topic: If you could eliminate five Dream Theater songs, and never hear them again...  (Read 28842 times)

Offline Metropolispt5000

Wither
Peruvian Skies
The Answer Lies Within
As I Am
Status Seeker

Offline Stonestef

1.Constant Motion(even though the riff playing behind JP's solo is probably the best in the album)
2.These Walls
3.The Shattered Fortress
4.The Answer Lies Within
5.Vacant

I can't understand why most people would delete "Raw Dog".It serves its purpose pretty well.It's a soundtrack for a guy that kills brutally the gods of Olympus!I think they did a pretty good job on that!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
1. "A Rite of Passage"
2. "Constant Motion"
3. "The Ministry of Lost Souls"
4. "6:00" (am i evil?!)
5. "This Dying Soul" (yes i am!)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I love all DT songs, but:

1. The Ones Who Help Set The Sun
2. Light The Fuse And Get Away
3. Forsaken
4. Through My Words
5. The Killing Hand

Offline BanksD

Aw man, I love that song

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member

Aw man, I love that song

Me too. Hahah

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only person that thinks Raw Dog is a cool song, despite it being a stupid title.

I think the song is quite redeemable and the title amusingly clever.  Hope to hear it live soon.  My list:

1.  A Vision
2.  The Silent Man
3.  Fatal Tragedy
4.  One Last Time
5.  About to Crash

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Disregarding WDADU and looking at only studio albums:

1. The Ministry of Lost Souls - This song flat out bores me. It's got 2 great things: the intro on the acoustic, and, actually, the use of MP's lines in contrast to JLB. The outro solo sucks as well, JP's worse guitar solo by far.

2. Forsaken - DT's worse single. The piano riff is cool but the shine wears off fast, and the solo is good but standard. Other than that, it is a really bad song.

3. Finally Free - Controversial, I know. I just can't stand the song. It does nothing for me. Only part that is cool is the piano by itself before "feeling good this..."

4. Just Let Me Breathe - So apparently this song exists...

5. You Not Me - Not sure I even know how this song fully goes I skip it every time I listen. And I have tried.

Also, I love Raw Dog and AROP, they are great, though certainly not amazing or the best.

Offline ubit

Wow, I almost feel like this is a thread of great DT songs.  Goodness, I'm shocked by much of this thread.

Love Space-Dye Vest, love ITPOE, love TMOLS (powerful song, emotional and beautiful to me), love As I Am, love AROP, love Beyond This Life, love TDEN, and enjoy CM and Forsaken most days.  

Anyway, here's my 5... and I won't use WDADU because I pretend it doesn't exist:

1. The Great Debate
2. The Answer Lies Within
3. You Not Me
4. The Best of Times
5. 6:00
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Can't say as I appreciate any of you that wish songs I really enjoy to just be eliminated. :lol

Offline WildeSilas

'Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday...'
'I wake up every morning feeling like P-Diddy'
'Swagger Jagger, Swagger Jagger, you should get some of your own...'

Maybe I'm blinded because I'm actually a fan of TMOLS, but Kesha, Rebecca Black and Cher Lloyd have more annoying lyrics and melodies  :lol

I would rather marry Rebecca Black and wake up to her singing Friday every single day for the rest of my life than have to hear TMOLS again a single time. Seriously. I think it is the most phoned in, lazy, redundant, and annoying thing I've heard from a band of DT's caliber. JLB seems to whine through the whole thing, the drums and guitar are a snooze fest, and the uptempo instrumental section is tacked on, at best.  No offence to anyone who loves it, it just blows my mind that a band like DT could write such a terrible song and not be objective enough to realize how badly it sucks. Just my opinion.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
I would rather marry Rebecca Black and wake up to her singing Friday every single day for the rest of my life than have to hear TMOLS again a single time. Seriously. I think it is the most phoned in, lazy, redundant, and annoying thing I've heard from a band of DT's caliber. JLB seems to whine through the whole thing, the drums and guitar are a snooze fest, and the uptempo instrumental section is tacked on, at best.  No offence to anyone who loves it, it just blows my mind that a band like DT could write such a terrible song and not be objective enough to realize how badly it sucks. Just my opinion.
No offense taken, because it's a beautiful song.  :coolio
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BanksD

Anyway, here's my 5... and I won't use WDADU because I pretend it doesn't exist:

You really are missing some good stuff imo

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
You Not Me
Anna Lee
Status Seeker
Space-Dye Vest
Never Enough
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Flacracker

I would eliminate:

Forsaken
A Rite of Passage
Learning to Live
The Count of Tuscany
A Change of Seasons

Offline xShammas

• SHAAAAMMAAAAAS TAAAAKE MYYY HAAAAND!!!
The Answer Lies Within
Never Enough
You Not Me
Through Her Eyes
The Root of All Evil

I think it's funny how lots of people are choosing Panic Attack. I think it's a solid track, and it's also the one that introduced me to DT.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I would eliminate:

Forsaken
A Rite of Passage
Learning to Live
The Count of Tuscany
A Change of Seasons

Dang. ACOS and LTL?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
mmm

Never Enough
A Rite of Passage
Forsaken
Just let me Breath
These Walls
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
I would eliminate:

Forsaken
A Rite of Passage
Learning to Live
The Count of Tuscany
A Change of Seasons

wawt
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I would eliminate:

Learning to Live
The Count of Tuscany
A Change of Seasons

:orly:

Offline perfectchaos180

I'll keep things to only studio albums that aren't WDADU

A Rite of Passage
You Not Me
Just Let Me Breathe
Wither
Never Enough

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Scarred
The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun
You Not Me
Constant Motion

I can't really think of anything else at this point
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline wammabe

Why would anyone put Space Dye Vest in there?!?!?!?!?!?  >:( :censored

Anyways, here is my list. Hopefully I wont offend anyone as much as I've been offended by reading these posts.  :-\

Forsaken

Prophets of War

This Dying Soul - Its not bad, but every time I feel like hearing that kind of song I just listen to some other song in the AA saga

Innocence Faded - Same here, I like it a lot, but I'd rather listen any other song in Awake

A Rite of Passage - Dull

Placing You Not Me here wouldn't make me very original.

I love, love, love Forsaken. So yeah, disappointing to see it on so many people's lists. Of course, those are your opinions, and I disagree, and it's all good. So I'm certainly not gonna be OFFENDED by anyone's choice.

Offline Vajra

I'm actually getting angry reading this thread (lol, sad but true) There are some amazing songs listed in here. It's a shame that a lot of you guys don't appreciate them. (Not saying that in a bad way, just that they are great songs to listen to, and you're missing out a bit)

Offline Vajra

Songs I can do without:

You Not Me
Hollow Years
A Rite of Passage (the first verse only)
Wither (the chorus only)
I Walk Beside You (the chorus only)
Never Enough (Fun song, but it bothers me how overly inspired by Muse it is)
Erotomania
Another Day
Stream of Consciousness
Cover my Eyes
Eve

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I would eliminate:

Learning to Live
The Count of Tuscany
A Change of Seasons

:orly:
I was gonna think trololol, but his first two were understandable ones so...wat

Offline tjanuranus

I'd be happy with anything live they are all good! Would love to hear you or me live instead of you not me though.

I'm actually getting angry reading this thread (lol, sad but true) There are some amazing songs listed in here. It's a shame that a lot of you guys don't appreciate them. (Not saying that in a bad way, just that they are great songs to listen to, and you're missing out a bit)

Yeah, but look at your list. Hollow Years, Another Day are some of DT's most beautiful softer songs. Eve I could probably live without.

Offline tjanuranus

2. Light The Fuse And Get Away
3. Forsaken
4. Through My Words
5. The Killing Hand

The killing hand is one of the most epics songs ever written and should always be played at every concert along with metropolis part 1. Doesn't matter what concert you go to either. Hanson? Yeah killing hand should be played. U2? Yep, etc

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
You Not Me
Burning My Soul
Constant Motion
The Dark Eternal Night
A Nightmare to Remember (with vocals)

Okay, can't go without some honorable mentions:

The Count of Tuscany (with vocals)
The Best of Times
Panic Attack
Sacrificed Sons

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
In order of how much I dislike them, #1 being my most disliked:

#1 - Repentance. It is annoyingly repetitive with the "This Dying Soul" reprise riff throughout. I don't like all of the mishmash apologies. Also it lags at the end like a dying slug writhing in molasses in December. The only good part of this song is JP's solo. The rest can be canned.

#2 - Light Fuse and Get Away. I've tried to listen to this song but I could never get into it. It doesn't hold my interest and I don't like the vocal melody.

#3 - Anna Lee.  My ex-girlfriend used to love this song. Plus, after actually listening to it again, I don't really care for it at all. The vocal melodies don't grab me and the instrumentation is rather bland IMO.

#4 - Regression. There's really no point for me to listen to this song. It's necessary to hear it in order to understand the premise of SFAM, but since I have already heard this song countless times, I already know the premise. Thus, I could live without hearing this song ever again.

#5 - The Shattered Fortress. It's a mashup of previous DT songs from the 12-Step Saga. Yes, there are some cool parts that are original to this particular piece, but by and large, it's unoriginal. It feels like a big melting pot that hasn't actually melted, so all of the ingredients are still very fragmented.

#4 - Regression. There's really no point for me to listen to this song. It's necessary to hear it in order to understand the premise of SFAM, but since I have already heard this song countless times, I already know the premise. Thus, I could live without hearing this song ever again.

Yeah, but 90% of the time, Scenes From A Memory should be listened to in its entirety, from the beginning to the very end.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
I love every DT song, but I have been forced to pick.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!

Yeah, but 90% of the time, Scenes From A Memory should be listened to in its entirety, from the beginning to the very end.

True, but I also think that Overture 1928 would be a stellar first song to open the album.