Author Topic: The bass drum doubling guitars & bass; what do you think of this trend in DT?  (Read 4077 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I've been noticing this more and more in DT songs, that the bass drums is almost solely used for either fast double-bass, or accentuating palm-muted guitars and bass lines. Listen to OTBOA and compare the bass drums with JM's playing, there's only a few times where it differs.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I didn't notice, I was paying more attention to MM's cymbal and tom work.  I will check it out when I can.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ryzee

I think that's something that's been a part of metal music for awhile now, going as far back as the verse riff in "Domination" by Pantera or even the classic riff in the second half of "One" by Metallica.  I enjoy it, syncopation like that in metal always ups the  :metal factor for me.

Offline darkshade

This has been going on since I&W (maybe WDADU), so I dont think it's a trend.

The trend of the bass always doubling the guitar had only gotten to be the norm since around the ToT era, which is (apparently) a thing of the past now, with OTBOA  :biggrin:

Offline perfectchaos180

Agree with this topic soooooooo much, its unfortunate

ibadminssaywearewrongandtheyarerightanddtneverdoesanythingwrong

Offline ronrule

Yeah, I think this is pretty normal.  Being a King's X fan, I've noticed almost all their drumming (well the earlier albums) has the kick following the riff, not matter what rock drumming conventions would be expected for the song.  Check out the verses on Talk To You!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
I've been noticing this more and more in DT songs, that the bass drums is almost solely used for either fast double-bass, or accentuating palm-muted guitars and bass lines. Listen to OTBOA and compare the bass drums with JM's playing, there's only a few times where it differs.

rumborak

I actually don't mind that use of the drum.  It makes the riffs, especially the djenty stuff, more powerful.  I generally prefer a more unified rhythm pulse in the song, so when everything's locked in together it tends to work for me.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MetropolisxPt1

I think that's something that's been a part of metal music for awhile now, going as far back as the verse riff in "Domination" by Pantera or even the classic riff in the second half of "One" by Metallica.  I enjoy it, syncopation like that in metal always ups the  :metal factor for me.
This, Its probably an effort to not change the sound of DT's drums too drastically at the same time.

Offline bss4life15

I always love having the syncopation of the bass drums and guitars in songs.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Well, I'm a fan of Fear Factory, and yeah, they made it pretty much their trademark back in the early 90's. Of course, that's Extreme Metal, so there you can hear it very, very clearly.
But the point is, I think it makes the drums and the guitar (or bass) sound like one instrument, which is really cool, so instead of hearing the hit of the drum and the note of the guitar, it just sounds like a really punched note. I'm not saying they should do it on EVERY song, certainly not in ballads, but I do think it adds to how powerful a song feels.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I think that's more my point really. I can totally see the value in it because it gives a great oomph to whatever the riff is. But, all in good measure, and lately I've had the impression that DT does almost nothing but play the bass drum in lockstep with guitar and bass.

rumborak

Well, that's not so much on the drums as it is on the Bass I think. I love JM, but where are those crazy bass grooves and solos that he had in songs like Metropolis or Octavarium?

Offline atalkingfish

• Yeah/

Yeah... I don't think you know what syncopation means
Anonymity + regular jerks = complete super douchebags

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
I was gonna make that comment too :lol

rumborak

Offline MetropolisxPt1

I think that's more my point really. I can totally see the value in it because it gives a great oomph to whatever the riff is. But, all in good measure, and lately I've had the impression that DT does almost nothing but play the bass drum in lockstep with guitar and bass.

rumborak

Agreed but they have been doing that since FII but then again the bass and drums are in sync in a lot of music. It would be nice to see some accentuation of some off beats :)

Offline MetropolisxPt1

double post refresh fail

Offline Ryzee

Yeah... I don't think you know what syncopation means

Yeah you're right, that's not the right term.  Sorryaboutit.  What am I thinking of?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
That's a metal staple. And it sounds awesome.

Offline rmp0012002

I first remember a drummer doubling the bass and guitar with Scott Travis in RacerX, good example is Scarified. I have always thought MP always tried to mix it up but maybe it's lack of ideas or just easier to lock in with the groove of the guitar and bass.

Offline gabeh1018

i personally love when the 3 instruments lock up as well! so powerful , so energy!! It's great when bands like Sevendust  do this as well

Like I said, I like it, I just hope to hear at least a couple of Bass solos. The fact that DT is a breakdown type of band, and they're solo heavy, makes the drum and guitar sync okay for the riff parts.

I barely even noticed, to be honest. After Fear Factory, the way DT does it is nothing. It certainly doesn't seem to HINDER the songs. So I'm not gonna complain.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Like you said, Fear Factory is a typical example of bass drum doubling guitars, you could even tell that this is their style. DT also have it, but in more wise and clever way - not all the time ;) And I love it, I always liked rhytmic and groovy songs.

Offline ddtonfire

When I write/record music, my bass drum is usually synchronized with the bass, and oftentimes the guitar as well, so I see no issue with it. It seems to provide a lot more power/oomph to the song.

When I write/record music, my bass drum is usually synchronized with the bass, and oftentimes the guitar as well, so I see no issue with it. It seems to provide a lot more power/oomph to the song.

Well, I do think in some cases, it's better to sacrifice that oomph for some colors. You know, some 'jazziness' I guess you can call it. Look at Learning to Live or Metropolis. That's what I mean.

But like I said, I like the sync, I'm just being a devil's advocate. Or... Well, since we're talking about metal... Advocate of the Beast?

Offline WildeSilas

Not sure how much stock anyone here  puts in the Kings X influence, but they did influence ALOT of bands to adopt this nearly robotic bass/bass drum coupling in the early 90s. They themselves borrowed it from Zep to some degeree, but everyone from Alice in Chains to Foo Fighters to Alter Bridge has adopted a similar approach based on their admiration for KX. I know DT has had their albums in studio before, and JM plays in Jelly Jam with Ty Tabor. I wouldn't be surprised if the KX factor was at least a part of that shift since SDOIT.
No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
I think using the bass drum in this fashion can really accentuate some good riffs, but I feel like it's used too much. Funny this topic was started today because I was just thinking about this yesterday.

Offline MetropolisxPt1

Not sure how much stock anyone here  puts in the Kings X influence, but they did influence ALOT of bands to adopt this nearly robotic bass/bass drum coupling in the early 90s. They themselves borrowed it from Zep to some degeree, but everyone from Alice in Chains to Foo Fighters to Alter Bridge has adopted a similar approach based on their admiration for KX. I know DT has had their albums in studio before, and JM plays in Jelly Jam with Ty Tabor. I wouldn't be surprised if the KX factor was at least a part of that shift since SDOIT.
its the ringo influence.

Offline olliemedsy

Meshuggah anyone?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
I like it.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Meshuggah  :metal :metal