Author Topic: How are the guys on the Mike Portnoy forum responding to OTBOA? regarding drums  (Read 5005 times)

Offline Vajra

It must be an awkward time for the forum. I'm sure they don't want to praise the drumming or say it's better than MP, but I doubt they want to criticize it either. Is it just dead silent over there?

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
Well its defenitely not better than Portnoy but its not bad why shouldnt they praise it?? Portnoys not that petty.... :-\ :-\
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
People are actually liking and discussing the song, with the sporadic "hmph...the music could use some MP in it...". But, the reaction is pretty much positive.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Unless you are banned over there and can't read the forum, why not just go over there, find the DT thread, and read/see for yourself?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
It's actually pretty positive. There are a few people that are negative just to be negative. Main complaints lie with the fact that the drums are lower. However, remember one thing, the drums were always (most of the time unecessarily) mixed higher than some other instruments. Also this is youtube, people seem to forget that.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

• Your majesty
Also this is youtube, people seem to forget that.

huh?
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Well its defenitely not better than Portnoy but its not bad why shouldnt they praise it?? Portnoys not that petty.... :-\ :-\

There was one part in the where Mangini plays a super fast ride cymbal groove that I couldn't see MP playing anytime soon.  I think this album isn't going to showcase much of MM's flashiness seeing as he had no hand in the writing.  Though I think its pretty obvious that he's far superior than MP in terms of technicality.

Offline Vajra

Ah, I'm glad it's getting good feedback over there. Maybe I'll jog over there and check it out.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
The sound quality of youtube compared to a CD-- it's night and day
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

• Your majesty

There was one part in the where Mangini plays a super fast ride cymbal groove that I couldn't see MP playing anytime soon.  I think this album isn't going to showcase much of MM's flashiness seeing as he had no hand in the writing.  Though I think its pretty obvious that he's far superior than MP in terms of technicality.

Oh... he is? I havent been paying much attention to the Magini stuff

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Yeah there are some things that Mike P. couldn't replicate live due to the fast thing MM has.

Although, MP couldn't replicate the blast beats from ANTR live..
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
I'm more interested in 5/8's reaction, haven't been there in forever.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
I'm more interested in 5/8's reaction, haven't been there in forever.
I think cyberdrummer said it was rather positive as well
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

I LOVE that section on the ride cymbal!!!!!!!  Think it's around 2:28 or 3:28

Offline Flacracker

Yeah there are some things that Mike P. couldn't replicate live due to the fast thing MM has.

I don't know much about drums... What are blast beats and where are they in the song?

• Your majesty

I don't know much about drums... What are blast beats and where are they in the song?

There the death metal things in ANTR

Offline Vajra

Can Mike has blast beats?

• Your majesty
Not anymore :-X

Offline PraXis

Mangini > Portnoy in technical ability. Methinks the first single of recent DT albums have usually been the weakest, so let's wait for the full album... maybe there will be a song about drinking... finally.

Offline Vajra

Mangini > Portnoy in technical ability. Methinks the first single of recent DT albums have usually been the weakest, so let's wait for the full album... maybe there will be a song about drinking... finally.
:rollin

Offline PraXis

haha I know I'm bitter... and enjoying some fine whiskey.

Offline Aniland

:rollin

If it is one on this album, it's either "Build Me Up, Break Me Down" or "Beneath the Surface"/

Offline Vajra

I could just imagine the scene when MP left the band...

JP: Well, now that Mike's gone, we can finally make that 25 minute epic about how much we love to drink!

Offline champbassist

Yup around 3:28. It's freaking sick!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Oy, can we please leave that stupid meme over at Portnoy's forum? 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni

Yeah it is!  I also liked the lil chime action "aka Trial of tears" at the intro to the Keys solo. :tup

Offline Vajra

Oy, can we please leave that stupid meme over at Portnoy's forum? 
:lol I was hoping one of you would catch that

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member

That being said, its the only thing that really stood out for me as far as the drum performance goes.  Honestly, I don't believe we'll see much of MM's capability on this album.  Next album when he has a hand in writing we'll see some freaky-deaky shit I bet.  I hope.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Unless you are banned over there and can't read the forum, why not just go over there, find the DT thread, and read/see for yourself?
This.

What a ridiculous idea for a thread.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.