Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647144 times)

Offline kaos2900

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3990 on: May 30, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »
Another solid episode, though slower than the rest. I felt the Danny/Drogon part seemed out of place and would have made more sense to have in the last episode. Sam taking the sword will be a major plot point I'm guessing. Tommen joining the faith was interesting twist, I have a theory on how that is going to end and it won't be good the Lannisters. I'm glad Arya's plot is finally moving somewhere. I love the show so much that I find myself getting distracted trying to figure out what is going to happen next lol I'm guessing we'll have 2 more episodes until the big battle of the north in episode 9 and I'm also assuming that this season is going to have the craziest season finale yet.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3991 on: May 30, 2016, 12:40:12 PM »
Another episode further helping to make season 6 my favorite season yet.

A big reason I especially loved this and the last episode is that things seems to be falling back into their right place. Both Jamie and Brienne are now heading for the Riverlands. The Riverrun stuff is being reintroduced. The Iron Islands stuff is back on track. Coldhands is finally here.

While it had some great moments, season 5 is my least favorite season, much because they scattered everyone. Made some strange choices. This season seems to be correcting those "mistakes", which I appreciate greatly.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3992 on: May 30, 2016, 01:38:53 PM »
Season five was slow in the beginning, and for a while I thought it wasn't going to be a good season, but luckily it really picked up speed towards the end and there were some great scenes.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3993 on: May 30, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
As much as I'm in "eh, whatever" watching mode right now, this season is easily much better than Season 5. That one was just dreadful and terrible except for probably Hardhome.

Randyll Tarly is just the dick I imagined him from the books. Good job there from the show. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3994 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
How does Arya evade getting killed by her counterpart, or for that matter get out of serving the God of many faces without losing her life? I can see where she expects her counterpart to come and try to kill her....and she's readied herself for it, but can she just desert the cult without any reperations?

Or do you think the man with no name already knew this was going to happen, knows she's gonna be ready for her counterparts attack and kill her?

Having a tough time believing she's just gonna leave
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3995 on: May 30, 2016, 02:56:22 PM »
Yeah I don't see Jaqen H'ghar letting it slide and I don't see Arya managing to kill him, she could -and probably will- manage to kill the waif and escape Bravos but shit you don't wanna be hunted by the faceless assassins!
It would be cool to see Jaqen H'ghar lose his shit though, just wanna see what he'd look like pissed off :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #3996 on: May 30, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
Finally we got Benjen Stark back!!!

...and he found Bran and Meera in the middle of the goddamn north. D'UH. I hate TV tropes about people showing up at the exact moment they're needed.

There may be a logical explanation but I didn't fully grasp it - he said the "Three Eyed Raven" called him, what he meant by that? Max von Sydow warned him somehow telling him to come to the cave? Bran himself - now the Three Eyed Raven - didn't, he didn't even recognize his uncle until he showed his face.

No walk of atonement for Margery. Damn!  :biggrin: but a couple of episodes ago she was all fierce and determined while talking with Loras, proving her meekness with the High Sparrow was just a facade. Now she's truly converted? and this happened basically off screen?

Loved Dany's scene at the end, I always like when she goes batshit insane and burn things down or makes arousing speeches. Even though she could have just said "Bitches, I have a dragon.. We do what the hell I want"  :biggrin:
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3997 on: May 30, 2016, 07:46:06 PM »
Yeah I don't see Jaqen H'ghar letting it slide and I don't see Arya managing to kill him, she could -and probably will- manage to kill the waif and escape Bravos but shit you don't wanna be hunted by the faceless assassins!
It would be cool to see Jaqen H'ghar lose his shit though, just wanna see what he'd look like pissed off :lol

Yeah, she's cruising for a bruising. Amazingly she was given a 2nd chance and still pulled that stunt. I can't wait to see how she gets out of this. I totally agree, these people are not to be messed with.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3998 on: May 30, 2016, 08:26:31 PM »
Maybe this means the end for Arya.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3999 on: May 30, 2016, 09:38:08 PM »

I don't know why I've always had the feeling that she'd never be killed off being that this show kills off any and everyone. But I've always had a sense that she 'safe'. Even now with her essentially picking a fight.

I think Jaqen knew all along that she'd never truly turn, and didn't mind.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4000 on: May 30, 2016, 09:46:32 PM »
It's hard to tell if he minds. He kind of has the same emotion towards everything. Even when he wants someone killed, his demeanor is placid. Do you think Jaqen would save her from The Waif? Any other fight/sparring scenes between Arya and The Waif show Arya to be extremely outmatched.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4001 on: May 30, 2016, 11:48:23 PM »

I don't know why I've always had the feeling that she'd never be killed off being that this show kills off any and everyone. But I've always had a sense that she 'safe'. Even now with her essentially picking a fight.

I think Jaqen knew all along that she'd never truly turn, and didn't mind.
I don't think Arya will be killed either. She is the only main character in that place, it would be a bit lame if that part of the story just ends.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4002 on: May 31, 2016, 12:29:00 AM »
Yea I agree, she's the only main character in that storyline and no one knows she's there and we finally see some progress so for her to suddenly be killed off seems more weird than shocking.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4003 on: May 31, 2016, 12:46:59 AM »
The one truly big kick I got out of that episode though was seeing Aerys Targaryen, however sloppy the little footage they shot of him on the throne and getting killed by Jaime looked, I still loved seeing something that has only existed in stories told and never footage. It makes me hope we get to see Rhaegar at one point, it's a bit weird but over the last couple of years he's become my favorite character from AWOI&F, which is weird seeing we only heard of him but never met him, that's some GRRM genius right there.
The sloppy footage of Aerys Targaryen also included something I found a tad funny, he gets killed by Jaime Lannister who proceeds to sit on the iron throne waiting for the rebels, but it's current Jaime Lannister, not a younger one, Jaime Lannister as he looks now in season 6.. thought that was either silly of them or an attempt to make things clearer to casual viewers, I don't know.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4004 on: May 31, 2016, 05:35:04 AM »
I'm re-reading the books and I noticed something that I either missed the first time or just never paid much attention to it. In AGoT, when Ned is imprisoned in King's Landing, Varys comes to see him. The show makes him appear his regular self. However, in the book it's completely different. Here's the exact passage:

The eunuch's plump cheeks were covered with a dark stubble of beard. Ned felt the coarse hair with his fingers. Varys had transformed himself into a grizzled turnkey, reeking of sweat and sour wine. "How did you...what sort of magician are you?"

It's obvious the Varys is capable of changing faces, no? Did anyone else pick up on this?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #4005 on: May 31, 2016, 05:48:45 AM »
Varys doesn't change faces like the Faceless Men I think, he is just very effective at disguise and acting. When Tyrion is keeping Shae in the city in secret in A Clash Of Kings, Varys comes to visit them dressed like a hobo which Tyrion fails to recognise at first as well. The show didn't show such extreme transformations when he disguises himself, maybe it wouldn't have worked or appeared silly. But he is definitely much better at disguising and hiding in the books, though I think it is by mundane methods rather than magic.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4006 on: May 31, 2016, 05:52:12 AM »
He's a mysterious character and I feel we still don't know everything about him.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4007 on: May 31, 2016, 07:01:13 AM »
It's hard to tell if he minds. He kind of has the same emotion towards everything. Even when he wants someone killed, his demeanor is placid. Do you think Jaqen would save her from The Waif? Any other fight/sparring scenes between Arya and The Waif show Arya to be extremely outmatched.

I wouldn't put it past Arya to be tanking a bit as to not reveal to the waif that she (Arya) is actually much stronger than she lets on....

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4008 on: May 31, 2016, 07:13:27 AM »
That's always possible as well. I guess we'll know if she escapes by the end of the season. I doubt her storyline in Braavos will end any sooner than that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4009 on: May 31, 2016, 08:32:03 AM »
Another great episode, holy crap.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4010 on: May 31, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »

I wouldn't put it past Arya to be tanking a bit as to not reveal to the waif that she (Arya) is actually much stronger than she lets on....

The other thing is that he knows the Waif enjoys beating the hell out of her. She's probably wanted to kill Arya from the start. Is she not training to be faceless too? Why would she be around the temple if she wasn't faceless or training to be? She participates in all the same stuff Arya was doing. If so, her desire for personal anti-Arya violence is just as much a failure as Arya doing the same for her hitlist. So maybe Jaqen will ensure Arya kills her (or at least survives) because they both need to learn the ego problem has to dissolve.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4011 on: May 31, 2016, 11:22:48 AM »
I can remember a scene early on where Varys was in disguise... it´s vague, but I´m sure I´ve seen something like that.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #4012 on: May 31, 2016, 11:56:25 AM »
I'm pretty confident that Varys is a master of disguise in the sense that he knows how to use costumes and makeup to appear as other people, not that he's a faceless man.

Varys loathes magic, that's basically his entire backstory and the origin of his emasculation (the man who cut him burned his pieces in the fire and he heard a voice), no way he's involved with the faceless men and their rituals.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #4013 on: May 31, 2016, 12:39:09 PM »
I have a feeling the rest of the Stark children will live till the end of the show

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4014 on: May 31, 2016, 01:04:41 PM »
I'd like to think so. They are such favorite characters that if someone like Arya were to die, it would be worse than Hodor or Robb dying.

I'm pretty confident that Varys is a master of disguise in the sense that he knows how to use costumes and makeup to appear as other people, not that he's a faceless man.

Varys loathes magic, that's basically his entire backstory and the origin of his emasculation (the man who cut him burned his pieces in the fire and he heard a voice), no way he's involved with the faceless men and their rituals.

That might be so, but I still feel there is something about him that hasn't been told yet. Very few character's stories are superficial.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4015 on: May 31, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
I have a feeling the rest of the Stark children will live till the end of the show

What's interesting this season is the breakout of the Starks in general.  Return of Rickon, Bran, and Benjen this season.  Sansa is becoming powerful and Arya is becoming stronger as well.  Jon came back to life.

Maybe Catelyn comes back as well

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4016 on: May 31, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
Only a matter of time before one of them dies.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4017 on: May 31, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »

Rickon is my bet, I think that's the safest bet of them all.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4018 on: May 31, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

What's interesting this season is the breakout of the Starks in general.  Return of Rickon, Bran, and Benjen this season.  Sansa is becoming powerful and Arya is becoming stronger as well.  Jon came back to life.

Well, they are heading to the Riverlands.  Hmmm....  Jon Snow and Benjen came back. Maybe Catelyn and The Hound will make a reappearance.

Rickon is my bet, I think that's the safest bet of them all.

His death would be the least tragic.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4019 on: May 31, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »

Well, they are heading to the Riverlands.  Hmmm....  Jon Snow and Benjen came back. Maybe Catelyn and The Hound will make a reappearance.

If Lady Stoneheart is happening in the show at all, now is good timing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4020 on: May 31, 2016, 04:35:26 PM »
They could kill Rickon, Bran, and Sansa and I would not care one bit.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4021 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:20 PM »

Since it's during Jaime's time in the Riverlands, when he is sent to deal with the Blackfish, that she appears, I assume that if it doesn't happen now, it's not happening at all.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #4022 on: June 01, 2016, 02:20:24 AM »
Got caught up with the latest episode last night. It wasn't as dramatic as last week's, but it did a good job of keeping multiple plot points ticking along.

Nice to seen the return of Benjen and his fiery mace - that was cool! Good call on that, Snob and cramx3!

I'm glad that Arya's time with the faceless men is coming to an end. I thought that storyline was in danger of dragging on too long, but it seems like she's learned what she needs to, and from her taking 'needle' from its hiding place, it seems like she's ready to go back and settle a few scores. Did you notice Richard E Grant as the boss of the acting troupe?

Walder Frey and Randall Tarly = arsewipes  :lol

I agree with the comments in tiny writing. It feels like events are being set up to converge at Riverrun, and the Brotherhood got a mention too, so I hope we see who I think we're going to see again.  :)

Also, we haven't seen Jon Snow or Ramsey Bolton in a couple of episodes, so I think they they might be building up to something there too. Maybe a fitting season finale?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4023 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:57 AM »
There will probably be a battle in episode 9 with the season finale revealing the truth about Jon's parents. The reason why I say this is because the actor who plays young Ned is appearing in episode 10.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4024 on: June 01, 2016, 07:10:21 AM »

Since it's during Jaime's time in the Riverlands, when he is sent to deal with the Blackfish, that she appears, I assume that if it doesn't happen now, it's not happening at all.

Couldnt agree more, I thought Stoneheart was cut but given the Riverrun plotline, it makes sense to be introduced now (if ever). 

There will probably be a battle in episode 9 with the season finale revealing the truth about Jon's parents. The reason why I say this is because the actor who plays young Ned is appearing in episode 10.

Also agreed and the final episode is titled "Winds of Winter" and I think the white walkers will get to or pass the wall.