Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 650562 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3815 on: May 18, 2016, 11:59:58 AM »
Just read this theory on what the High Sparrow told Tommen in secrecy last episode

https://time.com/4337568/game-of-thrones-theory-high-sparrow-tommen-secret/

The obvious thought when watching that scene was that the High Sparrow told Tommen about his parentage, but maybe not and actually this makes a lot of sense.

Or it would be more than one thing, especially if Loras was purging himself. Let's not forget that Lancel had some pretty damaging information as well. Much too prudish to be high Sparrow could have ambushed Tommen with deprave details about his family.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3816 on: May 18, 2016, 12:42:31 PM »
The High Sparrow has the inside scoop on all the drama in Kings Landing.  Should host a reality TV show.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3817 on: May 18, 2016, 12:47:17 PM »
Yeah, who's that gay guy who hosts all of those Real Housewives things? I forgot his name. It could be Late Night Dirt (pun intended) With The High Sparrow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3818 on: May 18, 2016, 12:51:31 PM »
This is sad that I know this, Andy Cohen.  My ex was obsessed with his show.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3819 on: May 18, 2016, 12:56:46 PM »
So was mine. The drama on those shows is like hanging out here on the DT-side.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3820 on: May 18, 2016, 01:21:45 PM »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3821 on: May 18, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
damn I can't wait until this Sunday.

I have to say the best part of Game Of Thrones is that there doesn't seem to be any filler episodes. The 10 episode format is perfect, keeps the show nice and tight.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3822 on: May 18, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »
And I think there's so much more intrigue this season because we don't know what's going to happen. There's no book to refer to. There might be a few events, but for the most part, everyone is in the dark.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3823 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:36 PM »
damn I can't wait until this Sunday.

I have to say the best part of Game Of Thrones is that there doesn't seem to be any filler episodes. The 10 episode format is perfect, keeps the show nice and tight.

Part of me wishes there actually was some filler.  Like more dialogue and back story because there is just so much to the world that probably doesn't relate to the story, but is still interesting.  But in general, I agree, the show does a really good job of trimming the fat and keeping things moving.  Although last season was a bit slow, but we are getting the payoff these first few episodes.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3824 on: May 18, 2016, 02:53:11 PM »
I want a bottle episode of Tyrion and Varys bickering with each other.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3825 on: May 20, 2016, 07:27:48 AM »
Part of me wishes there actually was some filler.  Like more dialogue and back story because there is just so much to the world that probably doesn't relate to the story, but is still interesting.

Get this book, The World of Ice & Fire.  It's ridiculously awesome, and also ridiculously heavy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3826 on: May 20, 2016, 07:31:45 AM »
Part of me wishes there actually was some filler.  Like more dialogue and back story because there is just so much to the world that probably doesn't relate to the story, but is still interesting.

Get this book, The World of Ice & Fire.  It's ridiculously awesome, and also ridiculously heavy.

I have it  :biggrin: I haven't finished it though, it's huge and beautiful and very interesting.  Totally recommended for anyone who wants to learn more about the history of the world of Ice and Fire  :tup

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3827 on: May 20, 2016, 07:38:07 AM »
It's a fantastic book.  Took me forever to finish it.

It's neat how, the further you go in it, as he talks about points further and further to the east in this world, there are more and more references to the works of HP Lovecraft.

Wait, that's it!  *SPOILER ALERT*

The finale involves Cthulu showing up and just killing fucking everybody - humans, dragons, White Walkers, everybody.

Flawless.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3828 on: May 20, 2016, 08:44:24 AM »
Yeah, that book was great.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3829 on: May 20, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »
I was thinking about purchasing it. I saw it in B & N and the angels were shining down on it. It's a lot of information. It reads like The Silmarillion and The History Of Middle Earth 12 volume series.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3830 on: May 20, 2016, 03:49:09 PM »
Just got caught up with the show. This season is good so far. Man, Ramsay Bolton needs to die in a suitable horrible way. I hope they have something special in mind for him. :biggrin:

I'm glad Daenerys' capture by the Dothraki hasn't lasted too long. I thought at one point it may have bogged the season down. She needs to get back to Westeros and do some conquerin'!

For those of you like myself, that have read all the books, do you think watching the show will make you *less* likely to buy the rest of the books when they eventually come out? I think I'll still pick them up, but I need to refresh myself on where the last book left off.

BTW, my favourite (minor) character from the book, Beric Dondarrion has hardly featured in the show at all. :sad:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3831 on: May 20, 2016, 04:31:37 PM »
The show has no impact on my excitement for the next book. So many differences and so much more depth to the books to not make me want to read it even if I know the ending. I didn't read the books until after season 2 so I've already experienced this on some level.

I do wonder if we see the brotherhood without banners again.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3832 on: May 20, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
Since you mentioned the Brotherhood, I was thinking of some other characters that have disappeared and/or "died".

Syrio Forel - they don't say he dies in the book. And if you listen closely in the show, the first thing you hear fall to the ground is a metal sword, not the wooden one. I know it's a stretch, but there's a theory that Jaqen H'ghar is also Syrio.

Benjen Stark - Is he dead? A White Walker? I thought it was him at the end of Season 2 when Sam is sitting behind that rock and one of the Walkers looks at him.

Gendry - his arms must be tired

Sandor (The Hound) - Is he really dead?

Since Marc mentioned them, Brotherhood Without Banners - Do they serve a greater purpose as they do in the books? Or are they done?

I think that's it for now. Are there any others?

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3833 on: May 21, 2016, 03:33:17 AM »
I think the Brotherhood is probably done, as the show didn't give them too much weight. Shame. Same with Syrio Forel - I think his time is done.

I'd love for the Hound not to be dead, but to come back for a final showdown with his brother. There's no love lost there, and maybe The Hound is the only one that can defeat The Mountain. That would be cool, but probably unlikely to happen.

The other obvious one I thought of, when thinking back over the books is Catelyn Stark. Her story was intertwined with the Brotherhood, so maybe that means we won't see her again either?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3834 on: May 21, 2016, 06:06:39 AM »
I'd love for the Hound not to be dead, but to come back for a final showdown with his brother. There's no love lost there, and maybe The Hound is the only one that can defeat The Mountain. That would be cool, but probably unlikely to happen.

I actually think this is likely.  Cersei's going to have a trial by combat which will be The Mountain for her and the Faith will have to choose someone.  The Hound could be that person if he survived.  One of his last lines in the show was something like "Im going to die unless there is a maester behind that bush" and who knows, maybe there is since Arya didn't kill him.  CleganeBowl is the name of this theory.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3835 on: May 21, 2016, 07:51:19 AM »
I was watching one of the Comic-con panels with the Game of Thrones actors. Someone asked a question regarding a certain character that reappears at the end of book 3 due to a wolf we thought to be gone also. The way they reacted to not being able to talk about it made it seem like they were hiding something. Maybe they were just doing a good job of keeping it mysterious but I felt like it was something in the back of their minds at the time and then just eventually wound up doing away with the idea.

Here's the clip. It happens at the 42:30 mark.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3836 on: May 21, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
I think you forgot to add the link, but I think I can guess what you're talking about.. :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3837 on: May 21, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3838 on: May 22, 2016, 02:28:10 AM »
 :lol

Wow, they shut that guy down pretty quickly! I would love to see that part of the story, er, resurrected in some way.  ;)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3839 on: May 22, 2016, 07:47:59 AM »
I have some theories that have been thrown around. Some of you might have heard them, but since I love discussing these books so fervently, I'm going to throw them here and let them stir in the pot for a bit.

The theory that the Umbers are tricking Ramsay Bolton. One reason is because I think "The North Remembers" and that the loyalty between the Starks and their friends would not dissolve so easily. Also, that head that was supposed to be Shaggy Dog's is wayyy too small. In the books Shaggy Dog is the biggest of the direwolves, so what do you think?

The three heads of the dragon - I know this has been discussed here before, or at least mentioned. So let's say two of the heads are Daenerys and Jon Snow. Would the third be Tyrion (which would follow along with the theory that he is really a Targaryen) OR is the Targaryen that is revealed in book 5 really a Targaryen?

The Valonqar - This has been discussed before but I'm bringing it up again. Since the Valonqar part of Maggie's prophecy is not mention in the show, I will put the rest of this in small font. There are three choices: Tyrion, Jaime, or Sandor Clegane.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3840 on: May 22, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »
I have some theories that have been thrown around. Some of you might have heard them, but since I love discussing these books so fervently, I'm going to throw them here and let them stir in the pot for a bit.

The theory that the Umbers are tricking Ramsay Bolton. One reason is because I think "The North Remembers" and that the loyalty between the Starks and their friends would not dissolve so easily. Also, that head that was supposed to be Shaggy Dog's is wayyy too small. In the books Shaggy Dog is the biggest of the direwolves, so what do you think?

The three heads of the dragon - I know this has been discussed here before, or at least mentioned. So let's say two of the heads are Daenerys and Jon Snow. Would the third be Tyrion (which would follow along with the theory that he is really a Targaryen) OR is the Targaryen that is revealed in book 5 really a Targaryen?

The Valonqar - This has been discussed before but I'm bringing it up again. Since the Valonqar part of Maggie's prophecy is not mention in the show, I will put the rest of this in small font. There are three choices: Tyrion, Jaime, or Sandor Clegane.

I think the Umber's betrayal is very possible.  BUT the show almost made it seem too obvious that they were playing the Boltons that maybe they really aren't  :lol.  The last episode that showed Ramsay talk about the Shaggydog rug and then killing Osha made it seem less likely the Umbers are BSing the Boltons.  Lots of book stuff so small we go...

In the books it is the Manderlys who are betraying the Boltons.  I still think it's possible they are the ones to do the same in the show.  And maybe the Umbers swap allegiance after the Manderlys start working with Jon to take down the Boltons. 

Three heads to the dragon, I think the third is either Tyrion of it is Bran who can warg into one.  I don't believe in Aegon.

The Valonqar I think may be Jaimie.  It points to Tyrion being likely, but I feel Jaimie may end up being the one who does it because it fits his story arc more than Tyrion who already killed a family member.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3841 on: May 22, 2016, 11:49:18 AM »

I think the Umber's betrayal is very possible.  BUT the show almost made it seem too obvious that they were playing the Boltons that maybe they really aren't  :lol.  The last episode that showed Ramsay talk about the Shaggydog rug and then killing Osha made it seem less likely the Umbers are BSing the Boltons.  Lots of book stuff so small we go...

In the books it is the Manderlys who are betraying the Boltons.  I still think it's possible they are the ones to do the same in the show.  And maybe the Umbers swap allegiance after the Manderlys start working with Jon to take down the Boltons. 

Three heads to the dragon, I think the third is either Tyrion of it is Bran who can warg into one.  I don't believe in Aegon.

The Valonqar I think may be Jaimie.  It points to Tyrion being likely, but I feel Jaimie may end up being the one who does it because it fits his story arc more than Tyrion who already killed a family member.

I like the logic you give behind Jaime being the Valonqar. He wants to redeem himself, I believe. He's such a good villain because of his cunning and demeanor that he would be such a great addition to being a hero instead. I think Tyrion eventually comes back to Westeros and to avoid Cersei having him killed, Jaime steps in. However, the Sandor being alive theory is very possible and if he were to get involved with and win the trial by combat, then Cersei would be put to death. He was the younger Clegane brother.

Why don't you believe Aegon is a true Targaryen?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3842 on: May 22, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »

I like the logic you give behind Jaime being the Valonqar. He wants to redeem himself, I believe. He's such a good villain because of his cunning and demeanor that he would be such a great addition to being a hero instead. I think Tyrion eventually comes back to Westeros and to avoid Cersei having him killed, Jaime steps in. However, the Sandor being alive theory is very possible and if he were to get involved with and win the trial by combat, then Cersei would be put to death. He was the younger Clegane brother.

Isnt there also a prophecy on a false person?

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3843 on: May 22, 2016, 02:26:58 PM »

Isnt there also a prophecy on a false person?

I don't recall. It's something to look into.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3844 on: May 22, 2016, 02:43:20 PM »
If they were fooling him, don't you think they might have protected Osha?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3845 on: May 22, 2016, 02:53:24 PM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3846 on: May 22, 2016, 03:32:29 PM »
If they were fooling him, don't you think they might have protected Osha?

Wouldn't protecting her make him suspicious? Ramsey always seems to be very perceptive or he's paranoid and gets lucky.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3847 on: May 22, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
Would any of you book readers out there want to take the time out to explain these things to me? I see/read it a lot and am curious...

Who is Maggie and what was her prophecy?

What is the theory or story behind Valongar?

What is the three heads to the Dragon theory/story?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3848 on: May 22, 2016, 05:29:45 PM »
Would any of you book readers out there want to take the time out to explain these things to me? I see/read it a lot and am curious...

Maggie was a fortuneteller from Lannisport. Here are the prophecies as taken from the books.

Cersei's queenship
A younger, more beautiful queen will be Cersei's undoing.
“    Cersei: When will I wed the prince?
Maggy: Never. You will wed the king.
Cersei: I will be queen, though?
Maggy: Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.[3]    ”

Cersei's children
Cersei will outlast her children and die by the hands of "the valonqar".

“    Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.    ”

Melara's death
Melara will fall down a well, on the same night. The prophecy came true.

“    Melara: Will I marry Jaime?
Maggy: Not Jaime, nor any other man, Worms will have your maidenhead. Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close.

That should answer your first two questions. As far as the three-headed dragon, read these for a deeper explanation.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies/Entry/II_511_512_The_Dragon_Has_Three_Heads/
https://www.inquisitr.com/2369363/game-of-thrones-who-are-the-contenders-for-the-three-headed-dragon-prophecy/

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3849 on: May 22, 2016, 05:47:30 PM »

Maggie was a fortuneteller from Lannisport. Here are the prophecies as taken from the books.

Cersei's queenship
A younger, more beautiful queen will be Cersei's undoing.
“    Cersei: When will I wed the prince?
Maggy: Never. You will wed the king.
Cersei: I will be queen, though?
Maggy: Aye. Queen you shall be... until there comes another, younger and more beautiful, to cast you down and take all that you hold dear.[3]    ”

Cersei's children
Cersei will outlast her children and die by the hands of "the valonqar".

“    Cersei: Will the king and I have children?
Maggy: Oh, aye. Six-and-ten for him, and three for you. Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds, she said. And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you.    ”

Melara's death
Melara will fall down a well, on the same night. The prophecy came true.

“    Melara: Will I marry Jaime?
Maggy: Not Jaime, nor any other man, Worms will have your maidenhead. Your death is here tonight, little one. Can you smell her breath? She is very close.

That should answer your first two questions. As far as the three-headed dragon, read these for a deeper explanation.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/Prophecies/Entry/II_511_512_The_Dragon_Has_Three_Heads/
https://www.inquisitr.com/2369363/game-of-thrones-who-are-the-contenders-for-the-three-headed-dragon-prophecy/

Appreciate it   :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind