Author Topic: Why do you still believe in a god?  (Read 63472 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Why do you still believe in a god?
« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2011, 09:26:32 AM »
So god intended his creations to have flawed designs that look exactly like they would if they had evolved...ok.
That would actually be pretty damn funny,  like if he were just yanking our chains for Godly amusement.  Like hiding dinosaur bones all over the place just to fuck with us.  I'd actually consider that a fairly redeeming quality (although he's still got a ways to go).

It would be funny, and if it were true, then maybe the various religions would be correct in giving god all too human characteristics. On a more serious note, I don't think this would be compatible with Judeo-Christian beliefs, since god apparently can't lie.
"Thank you god...for making me an atheist."
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »
...why he would make it look like that happened.

It doesn't.  One can only reach that conclusion by making faulty assumptions.
Question...  I don't want to jump to any conclusions about your beliefs, but do you subscribe to the view that the earth is somewhere around 6000 years old, or am I misreading your post?

Ah...finally amidst half a page of incoherent half-informed raging, an actual question that can be responded to. 

Short answer:  I think it is MUCH closer to 6,000 than 6 billion. 

I believe the Earth is only like 4.6 billion years old.

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2011, 10:26:24 AM »

Question...  I don't want to jump to any conclusions about your beliefs, but do you subscribe to the view that the earth is somewhere around 6000 years old, or am I misreading your post?

Silly Chino, you don't actually believe all of that radiological dating, do you?  ;)

Ah...finally amidst half a page of incoherent half-informed raging, an actual question that can be responded to. 

I believe the Earth is only like 4.6 billion years old.
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
back to the OP....one of many reasons I believe in a god is because of BOOBS!  (and yes, I am serious).

can anyone explain to me why in the world guys are insanely attracted to boobs (or any female sexual part, for that matter).  a boob is fat.  fat on any other part of a woman's body is disgusting.  a boob on a man's body is disgusting.  but on a woman, it is beautiful.  coincidentally, it is what attracts us to a woman, which coincidentally leads us to intercourse, which coincidentally is the simple reason we are here to write about god.

how does evolution explain sex, btw?  how was evolution smart enough to know that an insatiable desire for sex should be in a young man and a young woman (the perfect combination, ie. not when they are old and cannot bear) so that humanity could continue?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:33 AM »
how does evolution explain sex, btw?  how was evolution smart enough to know that an insatiable desire for sex should be in a young man and a young woman (the perfect combination, ie. not when they are old and cannot bear) so that humanity could continue?

Because had that desire not evolved, humans (or any other species, for that matter) would have died out long ago.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »
back to the OP....one of many reasons I believe in a god is because of BOOBS!  (and yes, I am serious).

I see no good reason to oppose this argument.

...although I have to admit that I have no idea what you said after this line because, even though I was reading it, my mind was somewhere else.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2011, 10:35:06 AM »

Because had that desire not evolved, humans (or any other species, for that matter) would have died out long ago.

so before this desire existed, is it fair to assume that men did not desire the female?  what other motivation did the human race find to propogate itself?  nothing would continue until someone decided to "do it"

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2011, 10:39:21 AM »
Yeah, I'm no mathematical genius or anything, but I'm pretty sure that 4.6 Billion is much closer to 6 Billion than 6,000.

back to the OP....one of many reasons I believe in a god is because of BOOBS!  (and yes, I am serious).

can anyone explain to me why in the world guys are insanely attracted to boobs

Because boobs are a perfect representation of the universe.  They are circles within circles.  What is the single most common shape in the universe?  Circles.  When I look at boobs, I think of the big bang.   ;)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Voyage 34

« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2011, 10:39:51 AM »

so before this desire existed, is it fair to assume that men did not desire the female?  what other motivation did the human race find to propogate itself?  nothing would continue until someone decided to "do it"

Species survival has been the prime impulse of all living things since the dawn of life. I think your argument goes the other way around: why would we have completely primal urges if we did not inherit them from primitive evolutionary ancestors?
                                                --Ricky Gervais

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2011, 10:50:54 AM »
Upon further reflection, I think we can delete the last 8 pages of discussion and simply answer the question in the original post as:  boobs and bacon.  There is probably another "b" we can add in there, but I can't think of what it is at the moment.  And, really, given the first two, I'm not sure we really need to add to the list anyway other than to create a trilogy, which somehow makes any answer sound more compelling.

Can we just lock the thread now?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »
Yeah, I'm no mathematical genius or anything, but I'm pretty sure that 4.6 Billion is much closer to 6 Billion than 6,000.

back to the OP....one of many reasons I believe in a god is because of BOOBS!  (and yes, I am serious).

can anyone explain to me why in the world guys are insanely attracted to boobs

Because boobs are a perfect representation of the universe.  They are circles within circles.  What is the single most common shape in the universe?  Circles.  When I look at boobs, I think of the big bang.   ;)

:rollin

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
There are several explanations for the attraction to tits.  One is man-made.  The fact that they're covered.  In places where the women leave them out, the attraction isn't as common.  Another theory is that they're reminiscent of the ass, and the ass has been a point of attraction since before we were walking upright.  Yet another is that since they belong to only women, they're just associated as being distinctly feminine.  Then there's the notion that tits might be indicative in some way of fertility, which of course is the original driving force of the instinct.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »
Where there is discussion of boobs, I will eventually turn up.  I agree - boobs are reason enough to believe there is a God.  In fact He amply proved Himself to me in that respect just last night.  Though I would suggest that beer take the place of bacon, but that's just me.

Also, to clarify:

Boobs:

Tits

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »
Oh yea, they're also an erogenous zone.  That'll obviously lead to an attraction.

Edit: and last time this topic came up, I discovered this thread/forum, which was fantastic insight into the question.
https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/10210-why-are-men-attracted-to-breasts/
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »
I'm not sure we really need to add to the list anyway other than to create a trilogy

Trilogy already created, or is it Trinity?

When I look at boobs, I think of the big bang.   ;)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2011, 11:19:26 AM »
Gotta admit though, P/R is probably the last place I expected boobs to ever come up.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:43 AM »
or bacon, for that matter

Offline Big Crouton

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2011, 12:04:40 PM »

Is that your take on the universe as well, or just the earth?  Do you really feel the evidence just isn't there to support the earth being billions of years old, or are you strongly opposed to a metaphorical reading of the creation account to the point that you won't believe in an old earth regardless of what evidence comes up?

And while we're on the topic of Genesis, don't you think that the author had to have a bit more than divine inspiration, but rather a sort of divine dictation in order to accurately describe events that occurred before any human was around to witness them?  If you take a literal reading of the creation, how did the author happen upon the knowledge of how it all went down?

This may or may not be on topic anymore, but hopefully you don't mind.
I'm not sure how literal 'God created man in his own image' is, but it would be pretty crappy if there was a god but he died a while ago of appendicitus.

www.mercuryrecordings.ca

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Is that your take on the universe as well, or just the earth? 

Both.

Do you really feel the evidence just isn't there to support the earth being billions of years old, or are you strongly opposed to a metaphorical reading of the creation account to the point that you won't believe in an old earth regardless of what evidence comes up?

I wouldn’t say I “won't believe in an old earth regardless of what evidence comes up” because I’m open to the fact that I’m either misunderstanding one or more of (1) the Genesis creation account itself; (2) the evidence in support of an older earth/universe; and/or (3) the evidence in support of a younger earth/universe.  But I do feel that the evidence isn’t there to support the earth being billions of years old.  There is evidence.  But I think the theories and models that explain that evidence and draw the conclusion that the earth is older are inadequate.  I think there is a lot of evidence supporting a young earth.  But I think on either side, we fall far short of conclusive proof one way or the other. 

Going back to the text, nothing in the text seems to indicate a figurative timeline.  Again, I could be completely missing the point.  But, generally, when biblical authors intent something to be taken metaphorically, there are contextual clues that point us in that direction, and I see none here.  But, again, I leave room for the fact that I might be mistaken. 

That’s the short answer.  We’ve had these discussions for pages and pages and pages.

And while we're on the topic of Genesis, don't you think that the author had to have a bit more than divine inspiration, but rather a sort of divine dictation in order to accurately describe events that occurred before any human was around to witness them?  If you take a literal reading of the creation, how did the author happen upon the knowledge of how it all went down?

In short, I think what you are describing as “divine dictation” is essentially the kind of divine inspiration that the Bible describes.  There really aren’t many options for how the writer came upon that knowledge.  Either someone who was around passed it down until it was written, God told the writer directly what happened, or it was made up.  Unless I’m missing something, I think those are the only options.

This may or may not be on topic anymore, but hopefully you don't mind.

That’s fine.  I think it’s appropriate to the thread since the topic is really a broad one anyway.  I don’t really care to debate the science because it’s been done to death and nobody ends up persuading the other side anyway.  But I don’t mind discussing what my opinions are on the subject.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2011, 01:07:14 PM »
Billions.

(in Carl Sagan voice.)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2011, 01:13:37 PM »
When I was younger, I used to believe in the young earth as based on the genealogy of Adam. Slightly more recently, after reading more into it, I focused on the first two sentences of Genesis (NIV):
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

From this, I suppose that it's possible two distinct and separate timeframes are in place here, i.e., "The beginning" is separated by some unknown (and only implied) time from the first day. Could the first sunrise as the earth slowly begins its rotation mark the first "day" - whether literal or not? I think it's possible, and this reconciliation between science and the Creation story could even be probable. We'll probably never know, though, until God reveals it to us in the end, but right now, this makes the most sense to me.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2011, 01:13:49 PM »
Well, if you're going to drop the Carl Sagan voice on me...I guess I'm powerless to resist.  You win.  :france:

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2011, 01:19:48 PM »
Well, if you're going to drop the Carl Sagan voice on me...I guess I'm powerless to resist.  You win.  :france:

Thats how I win all arguements with my wife.  I use the Sagan voice, and it immediately gives me the appearance of superior intellect, and therefore correct in my arguement. 

Didnt think it would work in written form on the internet though.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
 :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #270 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:08 PM »
God, boobs, and bacon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #271 on: January 21, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »
And Carl Sagan.  Dude, weren't you paying attention?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #272 on: January 21, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »
I had him grouped under "boobs."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #273 on: January 21, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »
curveball!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #274 on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:49 PM »
I had him grouped under "boobs."

Ah!  Good call.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
Woman have boobs and butts because throughout evolution, men have chosen the genes they visually enjoyed. We most likely did not want to fuck something that looked the same as us, so we picked the genes in women that made them different. This is seen all throughout nature. The lion for example. A males mane has no survival purpose, but throughout time they have gotten fuller and thicker. This is the trait the females choose.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2011, 12:19:30 AM »
.....or, maybe man likes boobs and sex with women because God created them with that desire so the two would come together and make children and continue on the human race.

nah, sounds too simple.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2011, 12:20:25 AM »
You pretty much just said the same thing but added god into it and took out the logic.

Offline yeshaberto

« Reply #278 on: January 22, 2011, 12:22:45 AM »
maybe so.  except one is on purpose and the other is on accident

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #279 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:34 AM »
On the subject of boobs, it makes no difference whether it is evolution or God.  Because it is boobs.