Author Topic: What if MP wants to come back now?  (Read 69813 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Re: What if MP wants to come back now?
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2010, 01:59:18 AM »
Okay.  But, he DID say that he wasn't taking a break from music.  I heard him say (or, read in an interview) that he wanted to basically sit behind a drum set and just play rather than being the guy with all the responsibility. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2010, 02:27:36 AM »
Yeah you're right about that Snake, he wanted a break from DT, not from music. I'm sure he'll still find ways to stay busy.

Also, I don't buy the notion that A7X will have ditched MP to get out of his shadow. They are much bigger, and half their fans probably still don't know or care who DT are.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:25 AM »
Hey people, you are always saying that ATX is very big. Man, every time I read that I get confused. I don't know that band, I didn't know that band. I know a lot of bands more that this band. It is big in the USA I suppose¿? In Europe is a big band? I mean, do not compare DT all over the world with A7x.

Or am I wrong? Sorry, but I don't understand why you always say A7X is enormous like if it was the biggest band nowadays. i really don't know the band, just because of Portnoy's thing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2010, 04:33:15 AM »
Hey people, you are always saying that ATX is very big. Man, every time I read that I get confused. I don't know that band, I didn't know that band. I know a lot of bands more that this band. It is big in the USA I suppose¿? In Europe is a big band? I mean, do not compare DT all over the world with A7x.

Or am I wrong? Sorry, but I don't understand why you always say A7X is enormous like if it was the biggest band nowadays. i really don't know the band, just because of Portnoy's thing.
They are bigger than DT pretty much everywhere.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2010, 04:44:57 AM »

Well, I don't see it, seriously, at least in Europe. I'm from Spain, and "metal music fans" around here are not fans from A7X. At least is not the same amount as per bands like DT or Symphony X for example. And I visit a lot of metal forums and I don't see where's the "grandisosity" of that band. I know a lot of -in some way- unknown bands and i didn't know A7X. I really think it is in USA and you think is everywhere. "New" bands like Seventh Wonder or Circus Maximus are a lot more famous around here. I suppose there is somekind of A7X fever or something. Of course they seem a more comercial band, but we'll see in some years. Seems to me more like a "pop" band, metalcore and all that things that teenagers loves.

EDIT: Well, I'm seeing more info in wikipedia and....well just for the names  of the members I know what kind of band it is:

M. Shadows
Zacky Vengeance
Synyster Gates
Johnny Christ

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 04:56:45 AM by RazielSR »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2010, 04:51:53 AM »

Well, I don't see it, seriously, at least in Europe. I'm from Spain, and "metal music fans" around here are not fans from A7X. At least is not the same amount as per bands like DT or Symphony X for example. And I visit a lot of metal forums and I don't see where's the "grandisosity" of that band. I know a lot of -in some way- unknown bands and i didn't know A7X. I really think it is in USA and you think is everywhere. "New" bands like Seventh Wonder or Circus Maximus are a lot more famous around here. I suppose there is somekind of A7X fever or something, but do not compare that band with DT, I'm sick of reading that. Of course they seem a more comercial band, but we'll see in some years.
Forums are not representative, they only cover a small portion of listeners. In the UK A7X are by far the bigger band, and I'd imagine it's the same in a lot of other European countries.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2010, 04:58:46 AM »

Well, I don't see it, seriously, at least in Europe. I'm from Spain, and "metal music fans" around here are not fans from A7X. At least is not the same amount as per bands like DT or Symphony X for example. And I visit a lot of metal forums and I don't see where's the "grandisosity" of that band. I know a lot of -in some way- unknown bands and i didn't know A7X. I really think it is in USA and you think is everywhere. "New" bands like Seventh Wonder or Circus Maximus are a lot more famous around here. I suppose there is somekind of A7X fever or something, but do not compare that band with DT, I'm sick of reading that. Of course they seem a more comercial band, but we'll see in some years.
Forums are not representative, they only cover a small portion of listeners. In the UK A7X are by far the bigger band, and I'd imagine it's the same in a lot of other European countries.

mmmm No. DT are bigger here and you forget that in Europe (not UK, cause UK is like a second USA, not similar to the rest of Europe in many things) Nordic metal and german metal are much more popular.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2010, 05:03:26 AM »
Yap, here in Portugal the mallcore metal isn't as popular as nordic metal.

Avenged is like the new Hatebreed here and when they opened for Slayer and Maiden a few years back... I could tell right out they didn't have a lot of fans.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2010, 05:08:42 AM »

Avenged is like the new Hatebreed here and when they opened for Slayer and Maiden a few years back... I could tell right out they didn't have a lot of fans.

True, of course main lists around here are all pop like in the usa or uk, but talking about metal, many people from the USA thinks that bands like A7X are famous here just because they are there. That metalcore and Linkinpark-esque- things don't work in metal/rock people around here.

Now i understand why so many posts in other bands forum talk bad things from people like Malmsteem, etc, etc  :mehlin

Man, I'm listening that band in youtube and sounds artificial and overproduced, just like a pop band masked between guitars. That's how music is nowadays. Portnoy, if that is your music, go there man.

I'm sick of reading around here how big is A7X and I don't know the band and I almost don't know anybody knowing the band. and it¡'s all because they are always exposed in "metal" listeners in the USA and UK.

EDIT: and the names:

M. Shadows
Zacky Vengeance
Synyster Gates
Johnny Christ

Shit, the new x-men movie

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2010, 05:24:30 AM »
Could you at least write something productive or useful? It's bad enough that your posts are nearly indecipherable.

Offline Moonchild

• There can be only one! muahahaha
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2010, 05:27:50 AM »

True, of course main lists around here are all pop like in the usa or uk, but talking about metal, many people from the USA thinks that bands like A7X are famous here just because they are there. That metalcore and Linkinpark-esque- things don't work in metal/rock people around here.

Now i understand why so many posts in other bands forum talk bad things from people like Malmsteem, etc, etc  :mehlin

Man, I'm listening that band in youtube and sounds artificial and overproduced, just like a pop band masked between guitars. That's how music is nowadays. Portnoy, if that is your music, go there man.

I'm sick of reading around here how big is A7X and I don't know the band and I almost don't know anybody knowing the band. and it¡'s all because they are always exposed in "metal" listeners in the USA and UK.

M. Shadows
Zacky Vengeance
Synyster Gates
Johnny Christ

However, when you get to the big names of nu metal like Deftones, Linkin Park and Korn there's hordes of fans. The lower ranks of nu metal is unpopular.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2010, 05:29:01 AM »
Could you at least write something productive or useful? It's bad enough that your posts are nearly indecipherable.

Can you tell me what in my post is nearly indecipherable? You mean some grammar errors? Well, I'm not very good at english but at least I can speak and people in UK, USA or European people that speaks english, usually understands me while having a conversation. Could you follow me if I chat with you in Spanish?

And my post is as useful as almost 85% of posts here  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2010, 05:31:05 AM »
RazielSR, I'm sure that there are individual countries where DT may be more popular or bigger than A7X.  But globally, this is not the case.  Sorry if you don't see that, but it's true.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2010, 05:32:21 AM »
RazielSR, I'm sure that there are individual countries where DT may be more popular or bigger than A7X.  But globally, this is not the case.  Sorry if you don't see that, but it's true.

No, it's not. It's more popular for non metal listeners.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2010, 05:43:48 AM »
RazielSR, I'm sure that there are individual countries where DT may be more popular or bigger than A7X.  But globally, this is not the case.  Sorry if you don't see that, but it's true.

No one is talking about metal listeners or non-metal listeners (as if that means anything.  If you listen to metal, you're a metal listener).  We are talking about overall.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2010, 05:48:42 AM »
I'm actually gonna take a gamble on Raziel and say he's right. Avenged Sevenfold are more popular but still not considered "metal" by the metal community.  I think they're still viewed as massive posers by the majority of the metal community-- still grouped in with all the other crappy "mall" bands 'merica produced 5 years ago or so. Of course, only recently have the metal community seemed to acknowledged that Dream Theater, like it or not, aren't going anywhere.

Then again, who gives a shit about the metal community?

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:35 AM »

No one is talking about metal listeners or non-metal listeners (as if that means anything.  If you listen to metal, you're a metal listener).  We are talking about overall.

Well, then Portnoy could go with Lady Gaga to become bigger.
People here speaks more about how big A7X is in the world like if it was a pop band, then I see that it's not as popular like A LOT OF METAL bands in Europe. and that band is supposed to be a metal band, but as I say it's all masked. When I heard about Portnoy leaving and how he was "in love" with A7X I said to me that maybe this band was cool and prog-metal or just metal/rock oriented. But then I see that is like a bunch of teenagers with comic names and trying to get the attention of the mass, cause you know, people listening to A7X will say: "hey I'm really heavy".
But well, I won't comment anything more in this topic if people don't follow my posts, of course. I will debate if necessary.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2010, 05:56:53 AM »
Well, I think if you'e in the "metal community" that's over 30..and has allegencies to bands like Priest & Maiden, then you might be skeptical of A7X, but if you're under 20 and don't know your metal "history", A7X IS an attractive listen.
They are actually a good band.
I know it's not scientific, but the rock n roll T shirt "test" at Disney World has been ruled by A7X for the past 5 years! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2010, 05:58:21 AM »
A7X has an album that debuted a 1 and 4 in the US, and two golds and a platinum album. DT's highest charting album is 6 and have one gold album.

No question that A7X has a larger fanbase. They are signed to a record label in Warner Bros. that is much more pop oriented.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2010, 05:59:30 AM »
Well, I think if you'e in the "metal community" that's over 30..and has allegencies to bands like Priest & Maiden, then you might be skeptical of A7X, but if you're under 20 and don't know your metal "history", A7X IS an attractive listen.
I know it's not scientific, but the rock n roll T shirt "test" at Disney World has been ruled by A7X for the past 5 years! :lol

I'm 28, my favourite metal bands have been always "soft" bands like Stratovarius, Symphony X, DT. Malmsteen stuff, Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder and I don't like A7X even if I was 18. That's not important, the strange thing is how Mike was in love with this band, having in mind that he was one of the fathers of the epic history of DT.

Offline RazielSR

« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2010, 06:00:23 AM »
A7X has an album that debuted a 1 and 4 in the US, and two golds and a platinum album. DT's highest charting album is 6 and have one gold album.

No question that A7X has a larger fanbase. They are signed to a record label in Warner Bros. that is much more pop oriented.

And that's what I need to read, nothing more. It's all clear now. A pop band, popular for casual listeners, far away from me. Thanks for the info.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2010, 06:05:22 AM »
I'm actually kinda curious what Mike liked more- Avenged Sevenfold's music, or the fact that Avenged Sevenfold have always been vocal about Dream Theater's influence on them. Come to think of it, I remember this one interview with Mike Portnoy and Opeth's Mikael Åkerfeldt from the first Progressive Nation festival. They're together and discussing their influences, and at one point Mikael says something like, "You know, we probably wouldn't be making the music we make if it weren't for you guys." Mike has this really flattered look on his face and then says, "Oh yeah? That's awesome. 'Cause most people hate us."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:55 AM »
Just to post the status of A7X in the Netherlands...

I (and I know a lot of names of the metal industry) had never heard of them until I saw a thread on DTF about them.
After that, I still haven't heard anything, haven't seen or read any interview and I've never seen them on the bill in a big venue.

Of course this could be my fault (looking in the wrong places etc.) but here is the fun fact:
The only A7X album that has ever been in the Dutch album top 50, has been Nightmare. 2 weeks total, highest notation: place 47.

DT has had 3 album in the top 10 (!) over here, and they totalled 36 weeks.

Just stating facts. Fact is, DT is waaaayyy bigger over here.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2010, 06:08:34 AM »

I'm 28, my favourite metal bands have been always "soft" bands like Stratovarius, Symphony X, DT. Malmsteen stuff, Circus Maximus, Seventh Wonder and I don't like A7X even if I was 18. That's not important, the strange thing is how Mike was in love with this band, having in mind that he was one of the fathers of the epic history of DT.

But you don't represent the masses, and neither do I. Back in my day, I could NEVER understand why a band like Poison was so popular. Doesn't mean they weren't..

Anyway, I think MP went to do the album, and the guys actually hit it off. Perhaps MP just wore out his welcome.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2010, 06:15:18 AM »
I think the closest thing to figuring how Mangini would sound in DT is to check out Mullmuzzler's Venice Burning.

Offline Funkafonik

« Reply #200 on: December 17, 2010, 06:17:10 AM »
I think the closest thing to figuring how Mangini would sound in DT is to check out Mullmuzzler's Venice Burning.

I'd add Steve Vai's Fire Garden Suite, Mangini's best recorded work so far.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: December 17, 2010, 06:20:33 AM »
I was just going with Venice Burning because it's such a "DT" kinda song.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #202 on: December 17, 2010, 06:24:31 AM »
Raziel, why do you think MP actually liking A7X's music was some sort of fabrication? Just because he played in the biggest prog metal band in the world for over 20 years doesn't mean he can't like music that you deem is inferior.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2010, 06:30:03 AM »
antigoon, it's because this kinda attitude is unfortunately still very real:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhMnYVr0RuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hNEQh50fso&feature=related

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2010, 06:32:09 AM »
Manowar :rollin

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2010, 07:20:30 AM »
@Rumbo: Yeah but what exactly are you expecting him to do? "Yes it's true, A7X kicked me out against my wishes". He's just told it like it is. And again he doesn't make any reference to it being HIS plan, it was THEIR initial plan that they have now chosen to revert to. Of course he softens the blow, I don't deny that, but there is no truth bending of any kind, and I think it's very unfair of you to insist that it's what he was doing.
Agreed. I´ve seen MP being bashed in these forums many times for what he says/he doesn´t say/he wants to say/the way he said it, but this is the first time a couple of guys bash him because he told the truth exactly as it was  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2010, 08:12:50 AM »
Who is bashing him? I am certainly not. Somebody was asking about the "this was the initial plan" line, and my comment was simply that he put it there to soften the blow of what otherwise would be perceived as two separate bands having parted with him.
I mean, you can't tell me that it doesn't look at least somewhat unfavorable for him. A7X could easily have finished their tour with him, but they didn't.

Also, remembering the "the only thing you can rely on are family" tweet the other day, him getting axed from A7X is probably the reason for that tweet. They told him, he was pissed off and tweeted, then he waited a few days before making the official announcement.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #207 on: December 17, 2010, 08:47:17 AM »
And "metal listeners" are more important than everyone else are they?

Well, then Portnoy could go with Lady Gaga to become bigger.
Indeed he could.

People here speaks more about how big A7X is in the world like if it was a pop band, then I see that it's not as popular like A LOT OF METAL bands in Europe. and that band is supposed to be a metal band, but as I say it's all masked. When I heard about Portnoy leaving and how he was "in love" with A7X I said to me that maybe this band was cool and prog-metal or just metal/rock oriented. But then I see that is like a bunch of teenagers with comic names and trying to get the attention of the mass, cause you know, people listening to A7X will say: "hey I'm really heavy".
But well, I won't comment anything more in this topic if people don't follow my posts, of course. I will debate if necessary.
Sorry dude, but this is just ignorant. For a start, I can't imagine many people who don't like metal enjoying A7X are they are pretty heavy at times. But even if they did, so what? Just because a metal band is enjoyed by non-metal heads, that doesn't stop them being a metal band. I know a number of people who like DT but have no interest in metal.

You don't seem to even know what point you're trying to make. We simply said that A7X are bigger than DT, globally. Nothing to do with genre, or anything like that. They are bigger, in that more people know of them, and they have a bigger fanbase. DT probably have the more dedicated fanbase as they've been around a lot longer, but that's about it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #208 on: December 17, 2010, 08:56:39 AM »

M. Shadows
Zacky Vengeance
Synyster Gates
Johnny Christ

:rollin
That alone should have earned this Spaniard a little slack around here. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2010, 08:58:37 AM »
I just read the A7X press release. Man, Mike dearly needs to do damage control.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."