Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 389178 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #1925 on: August 31, 2014, 01:11:46 PM »
Some of my best friends are muses....

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #1926 on: September 15, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
I don't know if this is known, but according to Amazon UK and a local record shop where I live, Second Nature is coming out on October 6 here, not September 29 as previously thought.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Second-Nature-Flying-Colors/dp/B00M4QNOW4/ref=pd_sim_m_h__1?ie=UTF8&refRID=02AFV12H570S60JHYK3F

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1927 on: September 15, 2014, 05:36:05 PM »
Kinda weird how they released that video to create some momentum for the new album, but lately it's been super-quiet.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1928 on: September 16, 2014, 11:40:25 AM »
Shame, because the song is really really good. I keep listening to it and getting good vibes from it. I for one am massively excited for the album.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1929 on: September 21, 2014, 03:05:31 PM »
FYI:
Flying Colors - Second Nature DVD Trailer: https://youtu.be/mjbbtkgDBPs

Definitely only getting the CD. MP's musings about "Lost" are not exactly something I would sit through.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1930 on: September 21, 2014, 04:17:52 PM »
I'm very excited for the new album. And of course MP is going to ramble, he likes to be vocal and the center of attention, but I don't have a problem. That's just him. The samples sound AWESOME and i'm so pumped to hear the rest of it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1931 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:55 PM »
Yeah, Mike is rambling. The fury thing?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1932 on: September 22, 2014, 02:11:55 AM »
Regarding the samples, I'm actually a bit more cautious now than I was after hearing Mask Machine (which I think is great). That snippet in the video sounded rather TA.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1933 on: September 22, 2014, 06:57:35 AM »
FYI:
Flying Colors - Second Nature DVD Trailer: https://youtu.be/mjbbtkgDBPs

Definitely only getting the CD. MP's musings about "Lost" are not exactly something I would sit through.

Yeah, I can't take anymore making-of DVDs or anything like that with Portnoy blathering on about anything.  Pass.

And Lost the best show ever?  Jesus. :eek :eek :eek

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1935 on: September 22, 2014, 08:02:02 AM »
Wicked... will be listening later today.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1936 on: September 22, 2014, 08:03:32 AM »
 Bombs away is awesome!!!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1937 on: September 22, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks for the link! Listening to it now... Not too sure what I think of this album yet but One Love Forever was epic!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1938 on: September 22, 2014, 08:26:56 AM »
I really like One Love Forever as well. Overall, it seems a much more consistent effort than the first one. Thumbs up!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1939 on: September 22, 2014, 09:24:22 AM »
First up, Bombs Away is awesome! It has a bounce to it that I love!

They played Lost Without You on a radio show late last night (great timing from me; I literally tuned in just as the DJ was announcing it), and the chorus is soaring! Sounds like a great summer track to me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1940 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:48 AM »
Too bad the raining season is starting.  :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1941 on: September 22, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »
I'm like 4 songs through and so far... and I'm feeling a huge Transatlantic 2.0 vibe here. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, given that's not the sound I want to listen from Flying Colors.

It's not bad, tho. I'll keep listening.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1942 on: September 22, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »
Too bad the raining season is starting.  :lol

Yes, I am quite aware of that. But the opposite thing sort of happened last year with the Blackfield song Jupiter. That song evoked images of rainy winter nights, yet it was released in August.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1943 on: September 22, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »
The first two and the last two tracks are instant favorites, while the middle of the album has grown on me. It's a solid album and a worthy follow-up to their debut. I hope they plan on playing all of these songs on their upcoming tour, and I hope they record a show somewhere. With two albums at over 2 hours of original material, I wonder if they will do any more cover songs or if they'll just play both albums? Perhaps some extended jams or solos will be done in lieu of cover songs?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1944 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:47 AM »
I'm like 4 songs through and so far... and I'm feeling a huge Transatlantic 2.0 vibe here. I'm not sure if that's a good thing, given that's not the sound I want to listen from Flying Colors.

This is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I'm not really a fan of Transatlantic so I don't think I'll be picking this up

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1945 on: September 22, 2014, 10:32:43 AM »

This is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately I'm not really a fan of Transatlantic so I don't think I'll be picking this up

Have you heard the album yet? Sure, there are some elements of the TA sound but only largely because the band does happen to include half of Transatlantic, but Casey's contributions, as well as Steve's and Dave's, definitely equal the weight of Neal's and Mike's. This album tightens up a bit of what they did on the first album as far as song writing, even though the tracks are a bit longer, but there are some great Steve guitar solos and some awesome Dave bass grooves and solos. Casey's voice is very soulful in a way that Neal's isn't, and there's less lead vocals from Neal this time around.

Listen to the stream first and try to distance yourself from any preconceived notions about this being anything like Transatlantic. If it helps, focus on the vocal harmonies and Casey's lead vox more, and Steve's guitar (which is on fire on this album). Also, that bass solo near the beginning of "Cosmic Symphony" is just sooooo good, it gets me excited every time it comes on.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1946 on: September 22, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »
Open Up Your Eyes is so good that, i'm hesitant to stop replaying it and move forward. :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1947 on: September 22, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »

Have you heard the album yet? Sure, there are some elements of the TA sound but only largely because the band does happen to include half of Transatlantic, but Casey's contributions, as well as Steve's and Dave's, definitely equal the weight of Neal's and Mike's. This album tightens up a bit of what they did on the first album as far as song writing, even though the tracks are a bit longer, but there are some great Steve guitar solos and some awesome Dave bass grooves and solos. Casey's voice is very soulful in a way that Neal's isn't, and there's less lead vocals from Neal this time around.

Listen to the stream first and try to distance yourself from any preconceived notions about this being anything like Transatlantic. If it helps, focus on the vocal harmonies and Casey's lead vox more, and Steve's guitar (which is on fire on this album). Also, that bass solo near the beginning of "Cosmic Symphony" is just sooooo good, it gets me excited every time it comes on.

-Marc.
I just finished the album and yeah, Flying Colors is in there. At this point I still like the debut more because the songs felt much more focused and had more direction. I'm not bashing or anything, I think Second Nature is a good album with some excellent ideas (the chorus for A Place In Your World has an amazing hook) that are lacking direction. I'm not coming aboard the "they need an outside producer" train, but in places it felt like they needed someone to tell them to cut off some fat.
I get that most of the guys in the band come from a prog background and that's a good thing, and Casey is pop link within the band; but I kinda wished they were continuing where they left of in the debut. Cosmic Symphony was pretty amazing, tho. Probably my favorite moment in the whole records. That's probably one of the few songs that feel authentic.

Don't hate me, pls.

On the brighter side of things, Casey's vocals are as awesome as ever. He's the link that's gonna make me keep listening to this album.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1948 on: September 22, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
 Cosmic Symphony has a great bass solo!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1949 on: September 22, 2014, 11:01:22 AM »
Cosmic Symphony has a great bass solo!
Yeah, and it was the only song in the record where I really got my ear stolen by a drum part. There are some pretty tasteful grooves by Mike Portnoy.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1950 on: September 22, 2014, 11:23:14 AM »

Must be a cash grab by the band.  :jets:  JK dude, but really, have a listen and make the determination for yourself.  I don't really hear much of a TA vibe - at least, any moreso than the first album - even though it is inevitable with the MP/NM connection.  I definitely feel it's a FC album, and digging it wholeheartedly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1951 on: September 22, 2014, 11:29:12 AM »

Must be a cash grab by the band.  :jets:  JK dude, but really, have a listen and make the determination for yourself.  I don't really hear much of a TA vibe - at least, any moreso than the first album - even though it is inevitable with the MP/NM connection.  I definitely feel it's a FC album, and digging it wholeheartedly.
Lol, I'll still give the album a try, but I don't consider it making preconceived notions about an album when many people have said it sounds like Transatlantic 2.0 around the interwebs. It deserves a listen though, as I did enjoy their debut.  :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1952 on: September 22, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »
Only one listen down on it. It's very solid, I'm liking it about as much as the debut. The first two tracks are pretty stellar, as well as the last two. My only gripe is that everything in between falls flat here and there and doesn't hold the same staying power, though I am only one listen in so I'll give it time before being concrete.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #1953 on: September 22, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »
Considering that 40% of Flying Colors IS Transatlantic, some of their elements are bound to creep in there.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1954 on: September 22, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
Considering that 40% of Flying Colors IS Transatlantic, some of their elements are bound to creep in there.
No doubt, but what others are saying is that those elements aren't just creeping in there, but that the band is morphing their sound into another Transatlantic. Again, I'll give the album a listen, but that doesn't sound entirely promising for me, as I thought Flying Colors were this lovely blend of pop and slightly prog rock.

Edit: So far this first song sounds like a complete departure from that. Yup, this is what I was afraid of. In all honesty, it's not that bad I guess, I can listen to this compared to Transatlantic but it isn't what made me like Flying Colors in the first place, and it doesn't really inspire more listens. Will listen to the rest of the album but I'm kinda sad about it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 12:20:27 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1955 on: September 22, 2014, 12:18:17 PM »
I'm almost done with my 1st listen and unfortunately it didn't grab me like the 1st one (production issues aside). This one seems to be more prog than pop, which is ok, but the songs to me feel a bit stale. I hope it grows on me but I see that this one might sit on the burner since it seems like the new Evergrey will kick ass, the new Threshold is kicking my ass, and the new Enchant will also take a bunch out of my time since it's their new album in 10 yrs...and the live DT album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #1956 on: September 22, 2014, 12:22:45 PM »
Sounds excellent to me. I liked the first one but wasn't blown away by it. I wanted more guitar and Casey's vocals weren't to my taste - the  live dvd was better.

I certainly hear Transatlantic in this but really I hear Neil Morse all over it, even if he's not singing.
Might just have to buy this if a second listen is as good.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1957 on: September 22, 2014, 01:46:58 PM »
Haven't gotten to the last track, but the last 2:30 of Peaceful Harbor is absolutely glorious.  GLORIOUS.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1958 on: September 22, 2014, 02:05:31 PM »
Just got through Open Up Your Eyes, and it is rather Transatlantic. But, it seems like a more restrained less 20-minute-song-or-else-it's-shit mentality. I dig that song alone more than anything on Kaleidoscope.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1959 on: September 22, 2014, 03:10:12 PM »
Through my first listen now. I will definitely need to listen to it a few times more, but my first impression so far is: It doesn't really feel like a Flying Colors album. The first half is quite TA in places (for better or for worse), but even in the places where it doesn't sound like TA, it honestly sounds like a different band with the same musicians as the original FC. Weird.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:37:57 PM by rumborak »