Author Topic: The Official Flying Colors Thread  (Read 389065 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Flying Colors: Morse + Morse + Portnoy + LaRue + McPherson project
« Reply #1470 on: August 05, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
I might have to swap out the album poster if that's the case!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1471 on: August 05, 2013, 11:55:12 AM »
I might have to swap out the album poster if that's the case!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1472 on: August 05, 2013, 12:17:04 PM »

Thanks! $47 later, I pre-ordered the DVD bundle (with T-shirt and Poster) and the 2CD set! WOO! Cannot wait to get these!

-Marc.

Marc,
  I ordered the BluRay and 2CD set.    There was a problem with checkout for me (and others according to facebook).  It took me back to a 'bad' page on the merchant site... I got a paypal confirmation but no confirmation from the merchant site with my download link for the exclusive track.

Did you get that?

After paying with PayPal, I was redirected to a bad page, but I got confirmation emails from BOTH PayPal AND Flying Colors MLG Merch USA, complete with download link for the free song.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1473 on: August 05, 2013, 01:08:34 PM »
I love Flying Colors, but I didn't like the snippets from the trailer. The performance sounded kinda lifeless, to be completely honest. I'll buy this anyway, but I hope it's better than what I heard in the trailer.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1474 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:42 PM »
After paying with PayPal, I was redirected to a bad page, but I got confirmation emails from BOTH PayPal AND Flying Colors MLG Merch USA, complete with download link for the free song.

-Marc.

Yeah I Finally got my FC MLG Merch email..

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1475 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:32 PM »
https://www.radiantrecords.com/products/444-flying-colors-live-in-europe.aspx

As expected, Radiant is offering their OWN exclusives for the first 100 pre-orderers this Saturday.

I'm happy with my DVD bundle that comes with the poster AND a t-shirt. While it would be nice to have a SIGNED poster by the whole band, I'd rather have the t-shirt, ya know, so I can wear it around and show it off and have people ask me "Who is Flying Colors?" and I can tell them to go check it out because they're AWESOME!

Nice deals though, especially if you haven't already purchased the Making Of Flying Colors DVD that came out last year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1476 on: August 07, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »

As expected, Radiant is offering their OWN exclusives for the first 100 pre-orderers this Saturday.

I'm happy with my DVD bundle that comes with the poster AND a t-shirt. While it would be nice to have a SIGNED poster by the whole band, I'd rather have the t-shirt, ya know, so I can wear it around and show it off and have people ask me "Who is Flying Colors?" and I can tell them to go check it out because they're AWESOME!

Nice deals though, especially if you haven't already purchased the Making Of Flying Colors DVD that came out last year.

-Marc.

aww WTF. That's just lame. AND Lower pricing when bundling? gee...

10A what timezone?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1477 on: August 07, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »

-Marc.

aww WTF. That's just lame. AND Lower pricing when bundling? gee...

10A what timezone?

Considering he's based in Nashville, TN, I would say Central Time, so 11AM Eastern Standard Time in the US.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1478 on: August 07, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »
A free beanie hat?  Really? :rollin :rollin :rollin

But hey, at least you can buy just the DVD or Blu-ray for this.  I might get the Blu-ray since $14.99 is a good price.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1479 on: August 08, 2013, 07:43:39 AM »
Yeah this bundle is actually a really good deal, and confirms why I feel the levin/minneman/rudess project is overpriced. I mean for the same cost of their deluxe album, I can get the dying colors bluray, cd, and making of documentary, as well as potentially a signed poster? That definitely wins, even though I wish I didn't have to choose one over the other :/

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: August 08, 2013, 07:46:23 AM »
A free beanie hat?  Really? :rollin :rollin :rollin

But hey, at least you can buy just the DVD or Blu-ray for this.  I might get the Blu-ray since $14.99 is a good price.

You can do that direct from https://flyingcolorsusa.mlgmerch.com/ with no shipping like radiant and it'll come with a poster.  However, if you want to bundle some things together Radiant will come out cheaper.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: August 08, 2013, 07:48:03 AM »
Yeah this bundle is actually a really good deal, and confirms why I feel the levin/minneman/rudess project is overpriced. I mean for the same cost of their deluxe album, I can get the dying colors bluray, cd, and making of documentary, as well as potentially a signed poster? That definitely wins, even though I wish I didn't have to choose one over the other :/

All the same the DVD/CD combo on Radiant (or Flying Colors direct) is $26.99-$30 which is the same as the new levin project so its about the same. The "big 3 bundle" is quite a deal though I agree.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1482 on: August 08, 2013, 02:55:55 PM »
I don't think I'm going to be anywhere near a computer on Saturday and I'd love to have that signed print.

I'll trade my newly signed Winery Dogs CD (and possibly something else) for one.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1483 on: August 10, 2013, 09:04:09 AM »
Got my preorder in on radiant by 10:02.... the site was slow.

I wonder if there's any real way to tell whether or not I got the signed poster?

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1484 on: August 10, 2013, 09:10:23 AM »
preordered the bluray bundle :metal
hope i got the poster, or at least the beanie, i wonder if there'll be an email confirming that..

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1485 on: August 10, 2013, 09:25:09 AM »
hope i got the poster, or at least the beanie, i wonder if there'll be an email confirming that..

What order number are you?

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1486 on: August 10, 2013, 10:21:53 AM »

its in the 33,000's, so im assuming that doesnt have to do with when the order was placed, but i could be wrong :P

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1487 on: August 10, 2013, 10:31:31 AM »

its in the 33,000's, so im assuming that doesnt have to do with when the order was placed, but i could be wrong :P

I would imagine it would. An auto incrementing field in a database is a good way to generate invoice numbers. each new order gets the next increment and there are no number collisions.   

I'm in the 33,000's too, but that's a bit vague.. more like the low 33,500s. Just trying to see how far apart we are.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1488 on: August 10, 2013, 11:49:54 AM »

I would imagine it would. An auto incrementing field in a database is a good way to generate invoice numbers. each new order gets the next increment and there are no number collisions.   

I'm in the 33,000's too, but that's a bit vague.. more like the low 33,500s. Just trying to see how far apart we are.
but i mean it probably doesnt just refer to purchases today, probably purchases over time. so thered be no way to know how many purchases had been made on the bundle before us. but yeah im in the high 33,500s, so I'm probably on the far end if i get it at all  :-\

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: August 10, 2013, 11:55:21 AM »
but i mean it probably doesnt just refer to purchases today, probably purchases over time. so thered be no way to know how many purchases had been made on the bundle before us. but yeah im in the high 33,500s, so I'm probably on the far end if i get it at all  :-\

Oh yeah, 33k is "over all".. not today.. yes you're right.  I do have an order from a 4 weeks ago from Radiant that's about 600 lower than my one today.  So it seems they might do 150-200 orders a week without a new release boom in sales.

I do wish they'd take the promo info down once it's gone (which probably happens wicked fast)..or at least put up something up to give an idea of what the last invoice before the preorder kicked off was.. that way you kind of get an idea. 

I got my order in at 10:02. So assuming I was quick on the spot and one of the first (which we have no true knowledge of) you sound like you might get the poster, or at the very least the beanie.  I hit "add to cart" right at 10:00AM, and it took about 2 minutes all said to finish (the site got super slow).

Also don't forget your digital download.. it's at the bottom of your email.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1490 on: August 10, 2013, 12:05:48 PM »

Oh yeah, 33k is "over all".. not today.. yes you're right.  I do have an order from a 4 weeks ago from Radiant that's about 600 lower than my one today.  So it seems they might do 150-200 orders a week without a new release boom in sales.

I do wish they'd take the promo info down once it's gone (which probably happens wicked fast)..or at least put up something up to give an idea of what the last invoice before the preorder kicked off was.. that way you kind of get an idea. 

I got my order in at 10:02. So assuming I was quick on the spot and one of the first (which we have no true knowledge of) you sound like you might get the poster, or at the very least the beanie.  I hit "add to cart" right at 10:00AM, and it took about 2 minutes all said to finish (the site got super slow).

yeah taking the info down would help.
I added to cart right at 8am (pst), but had to register for the site which took some more time :/ it should be the first people to get the item in their cart should be the first 100, but i also should have registered ahead of time  :facepalm:

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: August 10, 2013, 12:08:32 PM »

I added to cart right at 8am (pst), but had to register for the site which took some more time :/ it should be the first people to get the item in their cart should be the first 100, but i also should have registered ahead of time  :facepalm:

Yeah I was registered via prior orders, logged in and ready to go. 

Also I'm sure it's based on first 100 to submit the order..

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1492 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »
I might not even buy this, as much as I love FC. I was at the Tilburg show, and honestly, it sounded a lot more lively than on the preview clip.
I should add that I think a live Flying Colors DVD/BR/CD after just one album is pretty pointless. I mean, the shows are awesome obviously, but what's the point of having a DVD consisting of a live performance whole album (played almost exactly the same as on the album) plus some other songs?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:13:14 PM by Onno »

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: August 13, 2013, 01:19:46 PM »
I might not even buy this, as much as I love FC. I was at the Tilburg show, and honestly, it sounded a lot more lively than on the preview clip.
I should add that I think a live Flying Colors DVD/BR/CD after just one album is pretty pointless. I mean, the shows are awesome obviously, but what's the point of having a DVD consisting of a live performance whole album (played almost exactly the same as on the album) plus some other songs?

What's the point? It's for folks who weren't fortunate enough to have FC come anywhere near them. Same with a lot of prog bands. They seem to hit the US coasts (NY/CA, etc) and tour semi-extensively in Europe.

TX is definitely an afterthought for a lot of bands.. bums me out.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1494 on: August 13, 2013, 03:22:02 PM »

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I'd rather have a live album than a studio album 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1495 on: August 13, 2013, 03:57:54 PM »

What's the point? It's for folks who weren't fortunate enough to have FC come anywhere near them. Same with a lot of prog bands. They seem to hit the US coasts (NY/CA, etc) and tour semi-extensively in Europe.

TX is definitely an afterthought for a lot of bands.. bums me out.
That's absolutely true, but I should say that it's for me. I've already seen them live. And I still think that live albums released after 2-3+ studio albums are way cooler, and I'm more likely to buy those.

Ninety-nine percent of the time, I'd rather have a live album than a studio album 7 days a week and twice on Sundays.
For me, it depends on the quality of the performance, and it depends on whether they played an album in full. For example, Score is absolutely amazing and is by far my favourite DT live album/DVD, but often I just want to hear a full studio album. I mean, it's all about the context and atmosphere. Another example: The Roundhouse Tapes by Opeth. Great performance, but listening to one of the studio albums itself is something I do way more often than listening to the live album. Why? Because the live album, great as it is, consists of tracks from different albums, but I'd much rather hear an album in full. One last example is Live Scenes From New York: they do play the whole album, but I like James' vocals on SFAM more than on that live album, so I prefer to listen to SFAM itself.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1496 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »

Just FYI. I wrote to Radiant and asked if they could clue me in on if I was in the group to get a poster, beanie or nothing.

I got the signed poster.  :metal  I hope you did too.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: September 04, 2013, 07:59:52 PM »
Hey...

I don't listen to the first album nearly enough.... but somehow I've never caught the first 15s of blue ocean very clearly... what are they talking about before the bass guitar comes in?  It sounds like some discussion that didn't get cut from the track.

You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYD8fqfi3So

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1499 on: September 04, 2013, 08:04:02 PM »
Hey...

I don't listen to the first album nearly enough.... but somehow I've never caught the first 15s of blue ocean very clearly... what are they talking about before the bass guitar comes in?  It sounds like some discussion that didn't get cut from the track.

You can hear it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYD8fqfi3So
Here's MP explaining it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpVArZ3DMk0

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1500 on: September 04, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
Here's MP explaining it:

Thanks. I don't think I've seen his Q&A series for FC!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1502 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
This DVD looks AWESOME!!  :metal I love this band

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1503 on: September 05, 2013, 12:27:20 PM »
Here's MP explaining it:

Same, and I really like his explanation as well, I think it definitely works the way he intended it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1504 on: September 05, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
Here's MP explaining it:

Same, and I really like his explanation as well, I think it definitely works the way he intended it.
Totally agreed! I always figured it was there to make it sound more retro, in keeping with the band's style. Like they're recording live, into an 8-track, as a single take. His explanation is much better. There is often a little something missing with online projects - I think I listen to them with slightly different ears, if that's not too wanky a phrase - but Flying Colors sounds like a full-fledged unified band effort from start to finish, and I think Blue Ocean must help set that tone.

Incidentally - I always presumed "From topping, no stopping" was MP putting on a silly voice. Again, the real story is more interesting.

I really hope Flying Colors takes off. I think it's the perfect vehicle for Mike. He gets to thrash about on the drums, collaborate with interesting musicians, the retro style of music is an ideal fit for his superfan mentality, and there's nothing else quite like it in the music world today. It's a keeper.

https://www.classicrockmagazine.com/music_and_videos/video-premiere-flying-colors-the-storm/

Premier of "The Storm" from the live footage.
Shiiiiiit!!

How brilliant is that?! Gigs always looked a little ramshackle from the crowd footage. Christ, I wish I'd caught them, now.