Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia
The Who By Numbers
Who Are You
Face Dances
It's Hard
Endless Wire

Author Topic: The Official The Who Thread  (Read 13587 times)

Offline The Letter M

The Official The Who Thread
« on: August 13, 2010, 02:26:48 PM »
Just like the Pink Floyd thread, vote for your 3 favorite albums by The Who!

I've been listening to them a bit more lately than I usually do, but the ONE album by them that I listen to with some regularity is Who's Next. It definitely fits into my "5th Album" idea/phenomenon, but even beyond that it just has some great classic moments, and each of the 9 songs are pretty strong! My second favorite would have to be Quadrophenia... as for my 3rd? Probably Tommy, but I'd have to listen to the rest of their albums a lot more before I can decide...

Anyways, discuss, vote, discuss more!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
Re: The Official The Who Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 02:29:03 PM »
In order:

Who's Next
Tommy
Quadrophenia
Who Are You

I like this description of Who Are You in wikipedia:

Who Are You was put out at a time when the two major camps of rock, progressive rock and punk rock, were conflicting due to their antipodal styles. Pete Townshend's compositions were written as an attempt to bring the two styles together. The album showcases some of the most complicated song structures guitarist Townshend had ever composed, with multiple layers of synthesizer and strings. Many of the songs also represented another attempt by Townshend to complete his long-contemplated Lifehouse project. Like Who's Next, many of whose songs were also inspired by Lifehouse, many tracks on Who Are You feature prominent synthesizer parts and lyrics about songwriting and music as a metaphor for life (as indicated by titles like "Music Must Change", "Guitar and Pen", "New Song", and "Sister Disco").[2]

There was a three-year hiatus between Who Are You and The Who's previous album, The Who by Numbers. The band was drifting apart during this period, due to the band members working on various solo projects, Moon sinking deeper into alcohol and drug abuse, and general exhaustion from the gruelling tour schedule the band had kept over the decade. Moon's health was especially an object of concern, as he only managed to come in during the last few weeks of recording and was unable to play in 6/8 time on the track "Music Must Change", so drums were removed completely from the track and only a few cymbal crashes were added. Moon died just under a month after its release, and on the cover, he is shown sitting in a chair ironically labeled "Not to be taken away".[2]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:36:46 PM by LudwigVan »
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 02:52:04 PM »
A Quick One
The Who Sell Out
Who's Next

I find myself being more a fan of their 60s stuff than the later 70s stuff. Tommy is alright, but I don't think it's a masterpiece.

Anyway, big fan here. Been listening to them since I was around 10, when my dad began playing me his vinyl stuff. They were a real powerhouse live, with the incredible rhythm section of Entwistle/Moon, the guitar antics of Townshend, and Daltrey as one of the best frontmen ever. I don't know how they are today (Pete & Roger that is) but I've seen a few clips on YouTube.

Favourite songs:

So Sad About Us (perhaps my #1 The Who song)
I Need You
The Kids Are Alright
Happy Jack
I'm A Boy
Pictures Of Lily
Early Morning Cold Taxi
Behind Blue Eyes
Baba O'Riley
Pure And Easy
Love Reign O'er Me
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »
1. Quadrophenia
2. Who's Next
3. Tommy

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 02:57:02 PM »
Awesome band. Easily my favorite out of the pure rock groups from that late 60s/early 70s era of British rock.

I picked:
Quadrophenia
Who's Next
The Who Sells Out

The latter never gets talked about but it's a really well put together album and a great concept overall.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »
Big fan of The Who here. Who’s Next and Quadrophenia are by far my Top 2 albums, by any band. I think I burned out on Tommy when I was back in my classic rock phase, as it hasn’t held up as well as the other two. I’d include Live at Leeds in my list. Man what an awesome live album. Their version of ‘Summertime Blues’ is amazing. And good songs like ‘Happy Jack’ and I’m a Boy’ become great ones.

I normally dislike remastered albums that include ‘bonus’ tracks, but the 1995 Who’s Next includes the following, and they are all awesome songs, that are nearly as good as anything else they originally released.

"Baby Don't You Do It" (Holland-Dozier-Holland)
  Previously unreleased. Marvin Gaye cover.
"Naked Eye" (Live)
  Recorded live at the Young Vic on April 26, 1971.
"Water" (Live)
  Previously unreleased. Recorded live at the Young Vic on April 26, 1971.
"Too Much of Anything"
"I Don't Even Know Myself"

I don't know how they are today (Pete & Roger that is)…

They are old. I mean, really. Actually, during the last Super Bowl show, I thought Pete was rockin’ like a kid jamming out in his parents’ garage, while Roger looked like he was underwater, or moving in slow-motion.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
Quadrophenia above all others, then a close tie between Who's next and Tommy.  Pete Townshend is by far the most influential musical figure in my life.  He truly is the man.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
While some other albums are getting votes here, I suspect that Tommy, Quadrophenia and Who's Next are their three most popular albums by a pretty wide margin.  They are my three favorites, too (in the order I listed them).

Oddly, even though I dig Who's Next a lot, and it has many Who classics, I think the sound is too polished, especially in regard to the drums.  The overall sound and production was definitely a step up from the rough and raw sounds of their 60s material, but that polish takes away some of the rawness and power of Keith Moon's drum sound.  It is almost like his drums are not as high in the mix as usual.  Quadrophenia has a similar polish to it, but the drums are more front and center and bring back the power of the earlier material.  Has anyone else ever noticed this, or am I crazy? :p

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »
While some other albums are getting votes here, I suspect that Tommy, Quadrophenia and Who's Next are their three most popular albums by a pretty wide margin.  They are my three favorites, too (in the order I listed them).

Oddly, even though I dig Who's Next a lot, and it has many Who classics, I think the sound is too polished, especially in regard to the drums.  The overall sound and production was definitely a step up from the rough and raw sounds of their 60s material, but that polish takes away some of the rawness and power of Keith Moon's drum sound.  It is almost like his drums are not as high in the mix as usual.  Quadrophenia has a similar polish to it, but the drums are more front and center and bring back the power of the earlier material.  Has anyone else ever noticed this, or am I crazy? :p
Could it be more a product of technology advancement than the mixing or arrangements?  Just saying.

And did anyone else notice that there are zero votes for the post Moon era.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »
Quadrophenia is my favorite, then Tommy and Who's Next.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 09:31:44 AM »
Could it be more a product of technology advancement than the mixing or arrangements?  Just saying.

I guess, but like I said before, the drums on Quadrophenia seems up front and center again, and that record came out after Who's Next, so, yeah. :p :biggrin:

And did anyone else notice that there are zero votes for the post Moon era.

No, but that can't be surprising at all.  I can count on one hand the number of Who songs that they wrote after Moon's death that I like.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 10:05:27 AM »
You Better You Bet must be one of them. It's my favourite post-Moon song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
1. Quadrophenia
2. Who's Next
3. Tommy

Although "Baba O' Riley" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" are my 2 fav Who songs, as a whole I like Quadrophenia just a bit more

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:40:25 PM »
You Better You Bet must be one of them. It's my favourite post-Moon song.

Definitely.  That is a great song. :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 01:27:12 PM »
The melody that begins at around 1:35 in "Welcome" from Tommy...okay, I know I have heard that melody somewhere else, probably in a Neal Morse or SB song, but I cannot place it.  I hadn't listened to that song in years until just now, and I recognized it.  This is gonna drive me nuts now. :lol

Anyone?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
The melody that begins at around 1:35 in "Welcome" from Tommy...okay, I know I have heard that melody somewhere else, probably in a Neal Morse or SB song, but I cannot place it.  I hadn't listened to that song in years until just now, and I recognized it.  This is gonna drive me nuts now. :lol

Anyone?

If it's from Neal Morse, it sounds like part of his Testimony album... the piano and guitar part, at least.

EDIT - Sounds kind of like "Interlude" but only a little bit. Is that what you're thinking of?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:15 PM »
Yeah, it sort of sounds like that recurring melody that is heard all over Testimony, but it just hit me where I think it is from: the middle section of "Journey from Mariabronn" by Kansas.  Whew, now I can sleep tonight. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
Who Are You
Who's Next
Tommy

Who Are You
was my first album from The Who, and I still return to it for comfort when life kicks me and I need some Who.  I love the variety, the sparse yet clever use of synths and piano, and most of all the songs.

I guess since Tommy and Quadrophenia are the big concept albums, and Who's Next is so iconic, I shouldn't be surprised at how few votes Who Are You gets.  But as amazing as Quadrophenia is, I have to rank it fourth.

We're playing a couple of Who songs this weekend: "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Love, Reign O'er Me".  Yeah, we're insane.  But they sound pretty good.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »
k...so if I really like Quadrophenia and Who's Next, and also appreciate Tommy, what next?

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
Try The Who Sells Out. It's ambitious in scope but man does it pull it off very well considering all the songs sound like actual radio hits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 12:53:15 PM »
Holy crap on a stick, I forgot how awesome "I'm a Boy" is.  I hadn't listened to that song in probably 10 years until yesterday, and now I am loving it all over again.  That bridge between the first verse and first chorus is just sick. :metal

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »
I'm A Boy is awesome. I remember me and my dad listening to it on his vinyl when I was little.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 11:35:29 AM »
Sorry for the bump (and double post) but I just had to share this :lol

"Former Animals, Jimi Hendrix and Who roadie James "Tappy" Wright has revealed an anecdote which illustrates life on the road with the manic Keith Moon and co.

Alongside memories of working with Elvis and Tina Turner he recalls an anecdote which illustrates how outlandish and pampered life on the road can be – especially for the legendary larger-than-life Who drummer. He says: "I was with the Who at one point. We'd finished a gig and we'd left the venue. We were 20 miles up the road and Keith Moon says, 'Oh my God, I forgot something!'

"I turned the bus around and we went back to the hotel. We were all sitting around waiting, then Keith comes back out and goes, 'It's okay now. I just forgot to throw the TV out the window…'"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/keith_moons_tour_bus_panic_dash.html

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 11:37:57 AM »
That's my favorite Moon story.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
Well, we did it.  We played "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Love, Reign O'er Me".  Full versions of each, all the breaks, everything.  People were coming up to us and high-fiving us before the songs were even finished.  Realistically, the songs aren't that hard to play, but there are so many different parts and sections that repeat a certain number of times.  Add a lead singer who honestly sounds more like Daltry than Daltry these days, and the inherent power of the songs themselves, and they're really impressive tunes to cover.  And fun as hell to play.

Sorry, had to brag.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:43 PM »
Sounds awesome! :tup

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 02:12:59 PM »
God, Side 4 of Quadrophenia is so perfect.  :heart

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 02:19:31 PM »
It seriously is.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 02:23:08 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree. Times a lot.

-Marc.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »
Biggest nugget of truth ever posted on DTF.

One of my top live moments was at Pete's solo show, when he did an acoustic version of drowned.  Enjoy...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpjwE1_IJUw

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 10:57:50 PM »
I heard a great story one time about Pete.  He was on a solo tour, and the power to the stage went out, so he whipped out an acoustic guitar and everyone stayed really quiet and he did a set of acoustic stuff while they got the power fixed.  He ended up playing like a half an hour of solo and The Who songs, just him and the guitar, not even miked, in some theater.  That would've been so cool.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 11:23:04 PM »
I heard a great story one time about Pete.  He was on a solo tour, and the power to the stage went out, so he whipped out an acoustic guitar and everyone stayed really quiet and he did a set of acoustic stuff while they got the power fixed.  He ended up playing like a half an hour of solo and The Who songs, just him and the guitar, not even miked, in some theater.  That would've been so cool.
Too bad that wasn't the show I went too.  I was at the Psycho Derelict tour, where they played the whole album, then he played about a ten song set, mixed between full band and solo acoustic.  Still one of my top five shows ever.

Edit: Found the setlist...
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pete-townshend/1993/berkeley-community-theatre-berkeley-ca-bd44142.html

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »
That was right around the time I heard the story, maybe even that tour.  Early 90's.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 11:48:45 PM »
That had to be so cool, like the old story where Moon passed out in the middle of a show at the Cow Palace in S.F. and they pulled some random guy out of the crowd to finish the show on drums.

Heres wiki's cliff notes version, very funny story...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Moon#Passing_out_on_stage

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 12:04:43 AM »
Whoa, I've heard that story, but never thought it was true.

But if it's on Wikipedia, it must be true!