Author Topic: Dream Theater's Untitled 11th Album: Make a fake tracklist / title  (Read 86518 times)

Kosmo

Re: Dream Theater's Untitled 11th Album: Make a fake tracklist / title
« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »
Bumping this up. Want to see more.  :corn

Offline Aniland

« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
Thanks! I actually had a dream last night that DT's new album had come out. The details are hazy, but this is what they were:

- 12 tracks
- The title/artwork was really mysterious and different from them; reminded me a bit of that leaked Time by Wintersun album art
- The first track had Feat. Roger Waters and it was all him on the vocals, but then LaBrie took over from 2 onwards.
- Lots of the songs were short, like really short, in the three minute range, but there were a few 8-11 minute songs too, which brought the thing to like 50 minutes

I wish I could export that album into here from my head. It seemed so cool.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
Haha, I also had a dream about DT's new record recently.

I still remember parts of the tracklist (actually, I read about it either on Wikipedia or on DTF). It was a double album with one huge opener ("Sadly", over 51 minutes long), followed by a 11-minute song and two shorter ones (4 and 6 minutes). The second disc consisted of five songs which were between five and seven minutes in length.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jsem

« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2010, 02:18:40 PM »
I bet they're going to use artwork from this thread for the new album cuz the artwork in here has been so epic. Truly fantastic

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2010, 10:11:06 AM »
Dream Theater - This one goes to 11

CD 1: An exercise in genericness

1. Unyielding kaleidoscope
2. Infinite veracity
3. Cosmological Constance (My love)
4. Bebop in Bebot
5. Loompus quo Oompus
     I: Wonk-a-mole
     II: Fucking midgets, how do they work?
     III: Sugar crash (instrumental)
     IV: Let's play from bar 5 on, this time in chocolate!
     V: Coda Cola (Flush it down)

CD 2: In your face!
1. The shattered mirror
2. It was enough after all
3. Evil unrooted
4. Rebuilding the fortress
5. I shelved my spit shield (Petrucci)

A few notes on the songs:
"Unyielding kaleidoscope": The song to get the first music video off the album, it will feature MP's visual effects from LSFAM, all the way through
"Cosmological Constance (My love)": A space epic, with JR's soon-to-be famous butt controller during the spaced-out solo in the middle.
"Bebop in Bebot": One word: Plastic.
Oh, and CD 2 is played by a drum machine.

rumborak
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:16:51 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline j

« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
 :lol Jesus, rumbo, that was beautiful.

:clap:

-J

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
Bebop in Bebot :lol

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2010, 05:56:16 PM »
lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »

A cover like that would be great, seriously. I am rather tired of the cluttered covers a la BCSL. The "good" news is that I think MP was the major driving force behind those types of covers, so maybe we can expect some fresh wind with the next one.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2010, 08:39:45 PM »
What other covers are cluttered? Aside from Black Clouds, Images and Words, and Awake, aren't all the other covers pretty basic?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
Thanks rumborak.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »
What other covers are cluttered? Aside from Black Clouds, Images and Words, and Awake, aren't all the other covers pretty basic?

SC was very busy too I thought actually.
But yes, not all of them are that way. I just think it's an overstretched concept they should have retired quite a while ago.

rumborak

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
I can't say I disagree. I really don't care much for Hugh Syme, to be honest.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #223 on: November 15, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
Thirteen Twisted Dreams

Disc One
1. Prologue* - 6:26
2. Season of Static - 15:58
3. Winding Me Up** - 5:13
4. Twisted Dreams - 11:45
5. The Battle of My Soul, Part 1 - 17:52
     I. Overture*
     II. I'm Still Swimming
     III. We Must Fight

Disc Two
1. Running Out of Time** - 4:46
2. Ashes - 9:03
3. Dreamscape One* - 13:37
4. The Battle of My Soul, Part 2 - 14:48
     IV. The Gathering Forces*
     V. Solitude
5. My Time Has Come - 8:11

Disc Three
1. Dreamscape Two* - 16:58
2. The Battle of My Soul, Part 3 - 26:50
     VI. I'm Still Swimming (Reprise)
     VII. Cosmic Jam*
     VIII. The Battle of My Soul
     IX. Victory
3. Epilogue* - 5:43

* Instrumental
** Single

NOTES
The two 'Dreamscapes' are atmospheric Jordan-led (and composed) instrumentals, with minimal drumming (on cymbals only) and one or two melodic JP solos.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: November 15, 2010, 04:00:41 PM »
That sounds awesome!
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Jarlaxle

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #226 on: November 15, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »
Thirteen Twisted Dreams

Disc One
     I. Overture*
     II. I'm Still Swimming
     III. We Must Fight

Disc Two
     V. Solitude

Disc Three
     VII. Cosmic Jam*
     IX. Victory

* Instrumental
** Single

NOTES
The two 'Dreamscapes' are atmospheric Jordan-led (and composed) instrumentals, with minimal drumming (on cymbals only) and one or two melodic JP solos.

EPIC. WIN.  :metal ThroughHerEyesDude6, we need an album cover for this one!

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive

Offline Ħ

« Reply #228 on: November 15, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Maelstrom
1.  Nature's Bounds (Myung, 11:39)
2.  Desperate Cries (Petrucci, 8:58)
3.  Mind of the Soul (Petrucci, 6:30)
4.  The End of the Road (Petrucci/Myung, 7:00)
5.  Ecclesiastics of Deception (LaBrie, 13:13)
6.  Maelstrom
     i. Discovery (Myung, 5:15)
     ii. Flame of Passion (Petrucci, 4:36)
     iii. Sandstorm (instrumental, 2:45)
     iv. The Desert Sea (Myung, 7:49)
     v. Oasis (LaBrie, 6:20)
     vi. The Rekindled Fire (Petrucci, 5:00)
     vii. Forever Reaching (Petrucci, 1:45)

"Nature's Bounds" is a mystical piece, with very ambiguous lyrics, akin to Lifting Shadows Off A Dream.  The theme is man's connection with the natural world.  It opens with quiet wind chimes, with JLB softly coming in around the :45 timemark.  The song flows in a very stream-of-consciousness manner (not like the song SoC, but the actual writing style).  It never gets heavy or bombastic.  To compare with another song, most of the song's mood would be like a combination of The Best of Times and Erotomania.

"Desperate Cries" is, on the other hand, extremely metal.  Think Train of Thought merged with Static Impulse.  Blazing drums, br00tal guitar, sinister vocals.  The theme is from the perspective of those that are suffering, crying out for help, and how their entire society and lifestyle has been reduced to an animalistic, anarchic state.

"Mind of the Soul" is a song whose style I would relate to Take The Time's.  It is lighthearted, whimsical, and uplifting.  Not only are there many time signature changes, but there are also very many tempo changes.  The theme is simply following one's heart.

"The End of the Road" is a somber song, very much in the vein of Transatlantic's "Bridge Across Forever" and Porcupine Tree's "Stop Swimming."  It looks to the future, and realizes that the dream can't go on forever, and that everything must one day come to an end.  It is a sad song, but at the same time very nostalgic.

"Ecclesiastics of Deception" is the second really metal song on the album.  Think of the song structure of Sacrificed Sons in the style of This Dying Soul.  It is an extremely sinister, nasty song, written about the corrupt religious leaders that sheperd people around to fulfill their own lustful, greedy desires.

"Maelstrom" is the epic, of course.  It is a song that metaphorically portrays DT's entire history.  

"Discovery" is about how they explored various bands in their youth, and really came to love music.  

"Flame Of Passion" relates how DT finally got together, producing music, got a record deal, and seemingly made it big.  It talks about how everything went great, and how the fans really exploded after Images and Words, and just how much fun touring was.  

"Sandstorm" puts an end to their youthful euphoria.  It is a chaotic instrumental very much like Neal Morse's "Storm Before the Calm" and Symphony X's "Scylla and Charybdis."  

The instrumental lands us in "The Desert Sea."  Their very lives are sucked out of them, and they cannot see the fruit of their labor.  There is no end in sight as they wander aimlessly.  Worst of all, they don't know where to turn.  It is a very melancholy song, very much like a combination of The Wasteland and Vacant.

"Oasis" marks a point of rest and reprieve, but is in no way the light at the end of the tunnel.  It is in this movement that they clear their minds, meditate, and come to some real conclusions about what they are called to do.

"The Rekindled Fire" is where the band finally stands up and decides to brave the maelstrom of being a musician.  They rediscover their love of music and know in their hearts that this is what they were born to do.

"Forever Reaching" is a reprise of Discovery, and the conclusion of this epic.  It leaves an optimistic note that DT will keep going on, despite the trials that await.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:44:06 PM by BrotherH »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: November 15, 2010, 07:41:10 PM »
Thirteen Twisted Dreams

Disc One
     I. Overture*
     II. I'm Still Swimming
     III. We Must Fight

Disc Two
     V. Solitude

Disc Three
     VII. Cosmic Jam*
     IX. Victory

* Instrumental
** Single

NOTES

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2010, 07:47:48 PM »
HOLY FUCKING SHIT THAT LOOKS AWESOME.

But you know what? Dream Theater will do something ala Weezer's last album: Just put a giant close up picture of MP as the cover and name the album Portnoy.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »
Thanks mang.

:rollin
Dream Theater's new album: "INVENTORY!"

Offline Aniland

« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2010, 09:12:56 PM »
Maelstrom
1.  Nature's Bounds (Myung, 11:39)
2.  Desperate Cries (Petrucci, 8:58)
3.  Mind of the Soul (Petrucci, 6:30)
4.  The End of the Road (Petrucci/Myung, 7:00)
5.  Ecclesiastics of Deception (LaBrie, 13:13)
6.  Maelstrom
     i. Discovery (Myung, 5:15)
     ii. Flame of Passion (Petrucci, 4:36)
     iii. Sandstorm (instrumental, 2:45)
     iv. The Desert Sea (Myung, 7:49)
     v. Oasis (LaBrie, 6:20)
     vi. The Rekindled Fire (Petrucci, 5:00)
     vii. Forever Reaching (Petrucci, 1:45)

"Nature's Bounds" is a mystical piece, with very ambiguous lyrics, akin to Lifting Shadows Off A Dream.  The theme is man's connection with the natural world.  It opens with quiet wind chimes, with JLB softly coming in around the :45 timemark.  The song flows in a very stream-of-consciousness manner (not like the song SoC, but the actual writing style).  It never gets heavy or bombastic.  To compare with another song, most of the song's mood would be like a combination of The Best of Times and Erotomania.

"Desperate Cries" is, on the other hand, extremely metal.  Think Train of Thought merged with Static Impulse.  Blazing drums, br00tal guitar, sinister vocals.  The theme is from the perspective of those that are suffering, crying out for help, and how their entire society and lifestyle has been reduced to an animalistic, anarchic state.

"Mind of the Soul" is a song whose style I would relate to Take The Time's.  It is lighthearted, whimsical, and uplifting.  Not only are there many time signature changes, but there are also very many tempo changes.  The theme is simply following one's heart.

"The End of the Road" is a somber song, very much in the vein of Transatlantic's "Bridge Across Forever" and Porcupine Tree's "Stop Swimming."  It looks to the future, and realizes that the dream can't go on forever, and that everything must one day come to an end.  It is a sad song, but at the same time very nostalgic.

"Ecclesiastics of Deception" is the second really metal song on the album.  Think of the song structure of Sacrificed Sons in the style of This Dying Soul.  It is an extremely sinister, nasty song, written about the corrupt religious leaders that sheperd people around to fulfill their own lustful, greedy desires.

"Maelstrom" is the epic, of course.  It is a song that metaphorically portrays DT's entire history.  

"Discovery" is about how they explored various bands in their youth, and really came to love music.  

"Flame Of Passion" relates how DT finally got together, producing music, got a record deal, and seemingly made it big.  It talks about how everything went great, and how the fans really exploded after Images and Words, and just how much fun touring was.  

"Sandstorm" puts an end to their youthful euphoria.  It is a chaotic instrumental very much like Neal Morse's "Storm Before the Calm" and Symphony X's "Scylla and Charybdis."  

The instrumental lands us in "The Desert Sea."  Their very lives are sucked out of them, and they cannot see the fruit of their labor.  There is no end in sight as they wander aimlessly.  Worst of all, they don't know where to turn.  It is a very melancholy song, very much like a combination of The Wasteland and Vacant.

"Oasis" marks a point of rest and reprieve, but is in no way the light at the end of the tunnel.  It is in this movement that they clear their minds, meditate, and come to some real conclusions about what they are called to do.

"The Rekindled Fire" is where the band finally stands up and decides to brave the maelstrom of being a musician.  They rediscover their love of music and know in their hearts that this is what they were born to do.

"Forever Reaching" is a reprise of Discovery, and the conclusion of this epic.  It leaves an optimistic note that DT will keep going on, despite the trials that await.

I like this. I have to say, though, Maelstrom would only be good if Petrucci abandoned his literal lyric-writing from the last album. With that, it would be so cheesy.

"The man said 'Sign on the line'
And the bluebeard took the pen!"

Offline Ħ

« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2010, 09:19:07 PM »
glad someone liked it  :D
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Occasional_Madman

• A danger to myself
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
:caffeine:

This thread is getting me really pumped for the future of DT. I absolutely can't wait to hear what their next album will be like.
So many things I think about,
When I look far away
Things I know, Things I wonder
Things I'd like to say...

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2010, 01:05:35 AM »

Wow. Didn't expect that. Brilliant work there!  :tup

On BrotherH's tracklisting: Is the title track to Maelstrom one single track, or is it split into several tracks, like the recent Spock's Beard epics?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2010, 01:06:59 AM »
Split up.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2010, 01:31:19 AM »
I like that cover. Reminds me of the covers for Opeth's Deliverance and Damnation quite a lot (aside from being a lot more colourful, of course).
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Remco

« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2010, 03:26:25 AM »
Dream Theater - Lost in Love

1. Please Don't Leave Me (2:58)
2. I Can't Live Without You (3:14)
3. Falling in Love with Love (11:36)
4. I Will Love You Forever (4:32)
5. Love Upon My Head (3:40)
6. Your Love Will Make Me Grow (0:10)
7. Super-duper-disco-lover (5:00)
8. Roses For My Lover (4:08)
9. Oh baby, I Love You So (2:55)
10. I Love Her Like I Hate You (3:23)
11. Love (15:43)
12. The Break Up (6:23)

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2010, 03:39:31 AM »
Dream Theater - Lost in Love

1. Please Don't Leave Me (2:58)
2. I Can't Live Without You (3:14)
3. Falling in Love with Love (11:36)
4. I Will Love You Forever (4:32)
5. Love Upon My Head (3:40)
6. Your Love Will Make Me Grow (0:10)
7. Super-duper-disco-lover (5:00)
8. Roses For My Lover (4:08)
9. Oh baby, I Love You So (2:55)
10. I Love Her Like I Hate You (3:23)
11. Love (15:43)
12. The Break Up (6:23)
:|

:lol
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #240 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:04 AM »
:whatthe:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:10 AM »
I love the contrast of that last track :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #242 on: November 16, 2010, 07:18:38 AM »
Dream Theater - Album: Dream Theater

1. Change - 4.34 (JP, JM, JR) Lyrics (JP)
(Start with the birds and shizz from the end of count.  A beautiful bass lines start to build up with acoustic guitar and piano joining in and LaBrie giving it some.  No Drums. Just a soft, melodic and a brilliantly spellbinding song.)

2. White Rabbit - 5.59 (New guy)
(Guitar start chugging away and drums explode out of nowhere with basslines beyond what you can imagine. This is a new and very exciting DT.  Jordan using crazy synth stuff and LaBrie solid and heavy.  Great fast, heavy song.  Song loosely based on Alice in Wonderland)

3. Remember Me - 8.01 (JLB)
(Starts soft but builds up throughout with some crazy instrumental section, but not as heavy as recent stuff, more Hells Kitcheny vibe with vocals. Porcupine Treeish.  )

4.Of Skies And Seas - 10.01  (JM)
(First epic, and not just long epic but EPIC.  It's bombastic and heavy, drums shooting around in the atmosphere, several guitars in crazy harmonies, strange morphwiz sounds, tuned down bass and a no quarter vocal effect on LaBrie for the first movement.  It then dies down during the second half and becomes more of a slower vibe and slowly dies down to guitar ending the song. Tells the story of a lost child, trying to find his way home)

5. The Burnin' Man - 5.00 (JP)
(A good mainstream single, could have come right off Images and Words.  In the vein of Pull Me Under/Panic Attack/RUSH)

6. Voyager – 6.34 (JP, JM, New guy)
Instrumental and incredibly heavy, Meshuggah meets Pink Floyd

7. The Dream Theater – 26.36 (Wrote by all members)
This is it, the song to put all Dream Theater fans to rest.  Everyone will realize this is the greatest song they have ever written.  James sings his heart out, drums are incredible, guitar and bass run wild. Jordan uses his FULL potential to make the greatest song ever.  The song is about someone realizing they can fulfill whatever their Dreams say they can do, with a hidden meaning that Dream Theater themselves have just done that with this song.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #243 on: November 16, 2010, 07:48:10 AM »
^

And that's their last album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: November 16, 2010, 08:17:46 AM »
Dream Theater- Hackneyed Posts and Speculations
A Concept Album about the Commentary on Mike's Leaving the Band
Part One of a New Series of Dream Theater Records where Ridiculous Content is passed off as "Realistic Lyrics," rooted in the tradition of The Count of Tuscany.

Disc One- Hackneyed Posts
1.) The Most Epic of Threads pt. 1: The Day I Will Remember Forever (instrumental) 4:00
                a.) see Overture 1928
2.) The Worst News I've Heard in a Long Time 8:00
                a.) see Fatal Tragedy mixed with A7X's "Nightmare."
3.) Where Were You When You Heard the News? 12:00
                a.) See Iron Maiden's "Where the Wild Wind Blows." This one's like a nursery rhyme but it might just be the
                     new Learning to Live
4.) The Most Epic of Threads pt. 2: The Clash of the Trolls (instrumental 7:00)
                a.) See "Raw Dog"
5.) Days and Days and Days in a Daze:  We Love You, Mike 9:30.
                a.) See "The Best of Times"  This one's like a love letter to Mike.
6.) The Man's Left Us Forevermore 8:00
                a.) See "Disappear," "Space-Dyed Vest". This song includes an abundance of elegiac imagery.

Disc Two: Speculations (58:58)
1.)  Speculations
      a.) Pandora's Box (instrumental)
      b.) As Myung Speaks (kinda like 'Someone like him' mixed with Mullmuzzler's "As A Man Thinks")
      c.) The Final Chord (all-jordan instrumental)
      d.) Return of the Murrs (like intervals with some vocal spots)
      e.) We Speak, But You Don't Listen (Never Enough-esque note to the fans)
      f.) ...And It's not fucking temporary (Drum solo)
      g.) The Producer (It's Me) (kinda like James "Celebrity" with a 5 minute guitar solo at the end)
      f.) You Just Heard the Record, Are You Still Fucking Excited? (The Day I Will Remember... reprise) (a 5 minute
           instrumental song  followed by 24 minutes and 58 seconds of sounds to make the 2nd disc exactly 58:58).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:23:34 AM by Perpetual Change »